• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A single Donald Trump tweet just lost Amazon $6 billion in value (~1%)

Sianos

Instead of doing things to address changing economic paradigms, he points to the most visible macroscopic manifestations of these changes happening and shouts "BAD, STOP".

Turns out the anthropomorphized invisible hand only gave preferential fucks for certain groups because those in power could easily weight it that way and doing so benefited them, and the raw power of automation and sheer weight of its productivity is going to condemn the statistical majority their adherents to the same fate they claim by prosperity gospel is evidence enough of moral failing and even genetic inferiority. And then speakers of influence among rural whites will moan at how their failures are still all minorities' fault, because of course they will.

Footsoldiers of white supremacy will have to contend with the reality that they are only useful as enforcers to maintain the status of the rich whites, and that soon there will be some downsizing to increase profit margins. They'll be fed lies as they starve to death, only kept around now to try and prevent minorities and progressive whites from doing anything about it.

There's no way that dip affects Amazon in the long run, but I do think it's inappropriate for the President to intentionally affect the market with impulsive tweet whining.

This kind of thing could easily lead to insider trading in the executive.

This is why I hate the stock market. It's a show with strings that can be manipulated by anything.
That goes for any market. Currency, resources, you name it. The value of things shift all the time. And these days we have machines trading based on what they learn from the news, including twitter, so you see some immediate, but small, effect on news items like this.

shira

sounds like a good time to buy

for Trump
chuckle.gif

gtvdave

Trump is probably buying right now, telling all of his dirty Wall Street friends to do the same. Money, money, money. No integrity in America.

LosDaddie

Banned
Libel?

li·bel
ˈlībəl/Submit
noun

LAW
a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.
synonyms: defamation, defamation of character, character assassination, calumny, misrepresentation, scandalmongering; More
(in admiralty and ecclesiastical law) a plaintiff's written declaration.

I wish everyone the best of luck trying to sue the president over a tweet.

Uh...I mean he's not wrong.

Local businesses are struggling to compete with Amazon. Whether a tweet was the best place to state that is a different matter. But he's definitely not wrong for the same reasons people weren't wrong to criticize Best Buy, WalMart, Target and other big box stores who would come into towns, drive their margins down to next to nothing and profit on volume and drive out small businesses.

Naturally because this is Trump, I assume he issued this Tweet because he's a bitch and Bezos or someone at Amazon said something that hurt his itty bitty feelings.

So other than to inform us,
what is the proposed solution?

Was there a follow up tweet, or does he expect the people of the united states to stop buying from amazon?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Amazon will long outlast the Trump name, which now means shitstain.

Oriel

Of course they couldn't.

On what grounds?

Edit: Not saying Trump is right (of course he isn't) but politicians mention private companies all the time.

Good luck trying to argue a 0.5% loss is statically significant.

Lol, their share price will have rebounded before the first draft of the lawsuit is even written

President's make comments about private entities all the time.

Trump's comments are in all likelihood libelous and damaging the reputation of the company. Comments regarding individual businesses have to be grounded in reality and have some basis in fact. If you cannot see this then I really despair for you Americans. Despite everything he's done the Orange Turd is still in power. He would have been removed from power in most other western countries for lesser offences. And still Americans, even his enemies, make excuses for him.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Trump's comments are in all likelihood libelous and damaging the reputation of the company. Comments regarding individual businesses have to be grounded in reality and have some basis in fact. If you cannot see this then I really despair for you Americans. Despite everything he's done the Orange Turd is still in power. He would have been removed from power in most other western countries for lesser offences. And still Americans, even his enemies, make excuses for him.

I'm wondering why CNN or other "fake news" outlets haven't sued for this exact thing. He's damaging their brand in an intenitonal way.

Local small businesses are being hurt by amazon no doubt, maybe it'll get to the point where amazon will be broken up into smaller companies since they are branching out into so many directions anyway.

I didn't say it's illegal, I'm questioning how it CAN be legal. How is this any different than encouraging people to go buy Ivanka's products, for example?

Encouraging people to buy Ivanka's products is a conflict of interest, the Republican Party has no interest in pursuing these.

gcubed

I mean, the only people who are actually giving a shit about his tweets are morons. So... Morons held 1% of Amazon?

This guy isn't going to pass a single thing

Dhx

I despair for people that don't do a cursory search before making broad declarations.

The president is immune from civil suits when acting in his official capacity as president. This is easily defensible as such.

Nixon v. Fitzgerald

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1981/79-1738

See also: Clinton v. Jones

SRG01

Amazon and other stocks took a bigger tumble when Trump decided to threaten North Korea.

A drop of this scale is just statistical noise.

Effect

When Trump pulls shit like this doesn't that open him up to being sued? It's a targeted attack by him, in a huge position of power, on a business.

The move isn't life threatening for Amazon, which is still worth in excess of $460 billion. It does, however, highlight growing concern that Trump may be willing to target Amazon, which has already stirred rumblings about the need for greater regulation to limit the company's growing power.

They're fine.

Top Bottom