• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump accuses Amazon of hurting 'tax paying retailers'

Guess what, orange turd? I'm still gonna shop there and so is your base. Most of your poor white base who claim to be economically challenged are gonna buy shit where it's cheap, and that means Amazon.

I've already explained why I think it's wrong to single out just Amazon first. If you don't buy that argument, fine. I'm not rehashing it.

I understand that you think it's unfair for one particular company to be targeted when the others are left alone but the reality is they are all being targeted all the time with varying degrees of effort and success. My argument is that you prioritise the most egregious abuser which may be Amazon but may not be but I fail to see what difference it makes to anyone but the shareholders of the companies concerned. They are, all of them, robbing your country and my country blind, if I may be permitted to use an slightly sensational idiom. who cares which of them gets brought into line first?

JettDash

Honestly I'm not even sure if corporations should be taxed. Just increase capital gains taxes to make up for the lost revenue.

It would make it more fair and companies wouldn't have incentive to create all these intricate tax avoidance schemes.

Honestly I'm not even sure if corporations should be taxed. Just tax increase capital gains taxes to make up for the last revenue.

It would make it more fair and companies wouldn't have incentive to create all these intricate tax avoidance schemes.

Potentially, you could make up the lost revenue in increased employment taxes as business expand due to the lower tax costs.

mreddie

Dump doesn't realize the autonomous problem because none of his enemies are doing those systems left.

But of course, every month, he has to diss Amazon because WaPo.

Zubz

Banned
Guess what, orange turd? I'm still gonna shop there and so is your base. Most of your poor white base who claim to be economically challenged are gonna buy shit where it's cheap, and that means Amazon.

It's almost like he knows nothing about his base because he has no plans to help them...

I feel bad for businesses that can't compete but, well... it's hard to compete with Amazon. Maybe a smart person could address the threat of a monopoly. Accusing a tax-paying company of not paying taxes they absolutely paid isn't a way to address this at all. This is before we add any hypocrisy to the mix...

He really is just bitter that the richest businessman in America actually is as rich as he says he is. And with his ramped-up moronic/racist behavior, I can't help but think he's pre-emptively trying to distract from something damaging again.

wazoo

there are two types as taxes

VAT : amazon collect them and give them back to the country where the buy is done. they are just a relay, you are paying this tax, not amazon

corporate taxes on profit : they pay them but in their best interest using law loopholes and international paradise islands. in the end they pay almost nothing with respect to their activity. all big companies do that, including digital companies love on that board.

trump is an hypocrit, he used the system as well. it does not change that the system has to be changed on a worlwide level, otherwise citizen will be the only one funding countries expanses. probably will not happen. too much corruption.

dem

I know in Saskatchewan Amazon doesn't collect Provincial Sales Tax and pay it to the province.. so yes.. they are getting an unfair advantage.

I bought my TV off of amazon specifically because they didn't charge tax. Even if it was the same price local.. cheaper to get Amazon to ship it to my house.

Saskatchewan hasn't seen a cent in PST from Amazon.ca
Despite legislation changes, Amazon.ca still not collecting PST or remitting taxes

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/pst-sask-amazon-1.4220885

Is any of that illegal though? The whole issue is that you can't really nail any of these companies down because the law is behind these practices.
Amazon recently won a case over the IRS challenging their cost sharing agreement. Personally , I think the case was incorrectly decided.
http://www.jonesday.com/iamazon-v-c...g-buy-in-challenge-rejected-again-03-30-2017/

They are currently in the midst of supply chain restructuring to make their worldwide structure complaint to the latest OECD guidance on intangibles. In short the OECD fucked up and Amazon will continue to profit shift to Bermuda.

But it doesn't have to be illegal to be wrong and it's clearly immoral.

I mean big business have an inherent advantage when it comes to pricing that for a lot of smaller retailers hurts their bottom line. Calling out Amazon just seems kind of needlessly petty.

And it's not even true that Amazon wasn't paying taxes, they just weren't collecting them for the states where the product was purchased. The consumer owes that money and was supposed to pay their state on their tax forms.

Top Bottom