• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: "NFL owners are scared of their players"

ZeoVGM

Banned
The fucking President said:
”I've seen a couple stadiums over the last few weeks, there are a lot of empty seats. I couldn't even believe it. But When it comes to the respect of our nation, when it comes to the respect of our anthem and our flag, they have no choice. You have to have people stand with respect."

No, they literally have a choice, you piece of trash.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico have been hit with natural disasters lately and this fucker is talking about citizens not standing for the fucking anthem.

Rvaan

Banned
Why is he still banging on about NFL players taking a knee, is something about to drop?

He failed at buying a team several times, was a member of a rival football league (and was the reason it failed), and a majority of the players that knelt were black.

Apathy

They should be and so should those in any position of power be scared off those people under them. Fear of the masses rising up should make these people in power actually work for our interests.

Z_Y

Care to explain why for someone that doesn't follow the sport?

The 49ers play 40 miles from SF. Their game started around 5:15pm local time last week. I imagine it was hard to get there during rush hour. The empty seats filled in later in the half. Not before my right wing social media news feed got their pictures of how the boycott was working though.

Rams are in LA playing in stadium that’s just too damn big. Teams come and go there because I really don’t think people in LA care much about football unless they’re a winner. Can’t blame them. Probably a million other things to do in LA. I think the Rams are going to get better though.

Fox318

trumpkraft-850x478.jpg

NFL owners are the typical fucking American oligarch. They throw a bunch of money around and try to take credit for everything. Don't they receive the Superbowl cup when the team wins? Disgusting.

Maledict

Anything and everything short of racial slurs allows "plausible" deniability of racism.

They'd run for the hills and hide if he went there.

No, they’d just say it was locker room talk, or a slip of the tongue said in haste. And that would be it.

Look at what happened when they found tapes of him admitting sexual assault - he still received the majority of votes from white women. Look at how Pewdiepie had people even on this forum defending him when he used the n word in a show, and it doesn’t seem to have hurt his audience.

People are capable of hand waving away *anything*in support of their team. Anything.

Anything and everything short of racial slurs allows "plausible" deniability of racism.

They'd run for the hills and hide if he went there.

People are willing to make themselves look like dumbasses defending some douche who plays video games on Youtube for dropping a slur. I'm sure Republicans for the most part would either wave it off or stay silent.

RPGCrazied

I hope this backfires on Trump and NFL owners making players kneel. I hope we get even more people kneeling during the anthem. No one has the right to tell us how to protest, be it the flag or anthem. Not even the President.

RESIST!

This whole story is mindblowing for me.
Why does it matter so much how people position themselves for a national anthem? If I was watching a hockey match in Montreal and the canadian national anthem was playing and I want to stay sitting on my seat, no one would bat an eye.

Nobody gave a shit about the national anthem until the context became "black people expressing political views instead of shutting up and entertaining us".

More disturbing to me is Russian trolls spreading the entire divisive message of this NFL "controversy" and he's going along.

If your president sounds like a Russian troll something is wrong.

effzee

It’s the other way around. If NFL players had more power like NBA stars do, they would’ve skipped the meaningless platitudes on unity and told Trump to fuck off personally.

This simply isn't true. The NFL has plenty of players speaking out about this but the same crowds don't watch the sports.

Your average NBA fan or crowd isn't offended by LeBron or other stars promoting BLM or sticking up for equality.

In the NFL, from the very start, Trump and his ilk used this as an opportunity to rile up their base and claim this is to protest the flag and America itself. It worked and the NFL fanbase, those who lean conservative, all ate it up.

Not from the US so honest question, kneeing during anthem is a protest against what?
Racial injustice
Kaepernick said:
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder"

danm999

If you're asking why he is focusing on this and not doing his job as President, it's because he doesn't know how to do that job.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey asshole. Why don't you help the 2 million Americans in Puerto Rico and shut the fuck up about the god damned NFL?

Not from the US so honest question, kneeing during anthem is a protest against what?
Per say nothing (in the broader past), but some players started this a year ago as an offshoot of some #BLM topics. It has nothing to do with the flag, and anyone claiming they're actually offended by the "disrespect to the flag" is probably a racist prick. Trump's shit comments last week open it up to more than just that, but it's still rooted in racial injustice.

(Extremely short version, of course)

flkraven

what if instead of being black, the players were white? and what if instead of protesting police violence and black equality, they were supporting white supremacy? and what if they had a permit to protest?

At that point would he see 'many-sides' or would his opinion still be cut and dry?

It has dawned on me that nobody, not even his own supporters, view him as President. I'm not sure anyone ever did. He does nothing that the title suggests he should, is held to no standards of the office, doesn't behave like the leader of a country and is viewed no differently than when he was a reality tv star. He's just there.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If you're asking why he is focusing on this and not doing his job as President, it's because he doesn't know how to do that job.

the real answer though is because this is what's on tv.

the picture box informs his agenda for the day.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Owners aren't actually afraid of the players otherwise the NFLPA wouldn't get steamrolled every contract negotiation.

It's more likely the owners did the political calculus and concluded that the fastest way to kill the controversy is to embrace it. Fighting against it would only galvanize the protests.

Smokey

I'll be very curious to see what happens in Green Bay tomorrow, with Aaron Rodgers asking the fans to take part as well.

The locked arm stuff is a bit much and doesn't carry the same effect as kneeling, nor do I think it carries the message that Kaep started in the first place. Feels like a halfway measure, but we'll see. And like Bomani said yesterday, it's just going to be a bunch of white people locking arms anyway lol.

Ponn

Banned
That's not even dog whistles, that's straight up slavery talk. That entire first paragraph of what he said could have come from the civil war era and it would fit.

It has dawned on me that nobody, not even his own supporters, view him as President. I'm not sure anyone ever did. He does nothing that the title suggests he should, is held to no standards of the office, doesn't behave like the leader of a country and is viewed no differently than when he was a reality tv star. He's just there.
You're absolutely right, he and his supporters still act as if he's a private citizen. I saw plenty of social media posts defending Trump's right to free speech when the 1st amendment is actually intended to prevent a head of state from suppressing protests like this. It's not really surprising when you think about it. Most of these folks probably assume that being president isn't actually a real job since a black man was recently doing it.

If any of these players let Trump affect their behavior.... They were bitch made to begin with.

I honestly couldn't care less what type of career is on the line.

Literally the president of the United States is attacking first amendment rights, and kneeling is signify the lives lost to government officials unjustly..

If there was anything that mattered via protest. it's this.

Stick with it players. Please don't be bitchmade

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
“The NFL cannot disrespect our country. They cannot disrespect our flag or our national anthem. And they can't have people sitting down or kneeling down during our national anthem,”
I'm curious how this lot handles the fact that it was a green beret who suggested taking a knee in the first place. I haven't seen any direct acknowledgment of it - do they just ignore it?

Top Bottom