• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wanted to try this thread before making a new one.

I've been bitten by the OLED bug, and I've been looking around and reading reviews. I've been looking at the LG CX and mostly the 48" version . Having 4K/120 with Gsync/Freesync/VRR over HDMI sounds great and the color always looks so good in person but I have a few questions.

1. I currently have a 2019 TCL 6 Series QLED. I know it's a great band for the buck TV but is it worth upgrading? I would technically be downsizing which will bring me to another question..
2. The 48 and 55 are the same price now basically everywhere. Is there any reason for that? It seems weird to buy a 48 when the 55 is the same price but right now a 48 would fit me better in my bedroom. I live with a roommate so we have a common room with a 65" Sony but I'm also thinking about the future when I move out.
3. I know this thread is about consoles, but does anybody use this for PC? I currently have my PC hooked up to both my monitor and my TV for when I wanna play on a big screen. Now my PC can't handle anything close to 4k/60 so I generally can do 1440p/60. I've heard I have to force this resolution on the LG OLEDs.
4. I know Vizio is coming out with a OLED in a matter of a couple weeks I believe. Is it worth waiting for the Vizio? I want to make sure that if I'm spending $1500 that I'm getting the best for next gen. I know the 55 Vizio is $1299.

I'll answer accordingly:

1. No, no need to upgrade. It's a very good TV. The upgrade will get you around 10% better HDMI 2.1 features and latency.
2. Not sure, I would rather pick 55" myself if that's the range you can accept.
3. I'm talking to you through my desktop PC, at 4K resolution on my old 2016 Sony 4K HDR XD70 55", and I only use TV's as monitors since 2007. The best is Sony for its color accuracy out of the box, but you can always pay $200-300 for professional calibration on any TV. I do photo and video editing on it, so color accuracy is extremely critical to me. The PC is set at 4K as well, but turned HDR off from the GPU menu as most content in the web is SDR.
4. It's a crappy TV, don't even look at it.

Your current TV is pretty decent, and if you wanna upgrade and use your PC as well then I'd rather buy Sony X900H. The upscaling and processing in Sony TV's are the best in the market anyway, but not sure about 1440p mode.
======================

While at it:

Last edited:
I'll answer accordingly:

1. No, no need to upgrade. It's a very good TV. The upgrade will get you around 10% better HDMI 2.1 features and latency.
2. Not sure, I would rather pick 55" myself if that's the range you can accept.
3. I'm talking to you through my desktop PC, at 4K resolution on my old 2016 Sony 4K HDR XD70 55", and I only use TV's as monitors since 2007. The best is Sony for its color accuracy out of the box, but you can always pay $200-300 for professional calibration on any TV. I do photo and video editing on it, so color accuracy is extremely critical to me. The PC is set at 4K as well, but turned HDR off from the GPU menu as most content in the web is SDR.
4. It's a crappy TV, don't even look at it.

Your current TV is pretty decent, and if you wanna upgrade and use your PC as well then I'l rather buy Sony X900H. The upscaling and processing in Sony TV's are the best in the market anyway, but not sure about 1440p mode.
======================

While at it:

Thank you for the response. So you would take the Sony over a OLED? I've just heard so many amazing things about OLED with color and everything. I want to get a TV that will be worth it for next gen with 2.1 and VRR and everything. The CX had everything I wanted so that's why I was looking at it.

Would the color match the OLED?

Ulysses 31

Thank you for the response. So you would take the Sony over a OLED? I've just heard so many amazing things about OLED with color and everything. I want to get a TV that will be worth it for next gen with 2.1 and VRR and everything. The CX had everything I wanted so that's why I was looking at it.

You know that OLEDs have lower color volume than LCDs, right? :lollipop_grinning:

Sony OLEDs thought, are some of the most accurate at displaying things as content creators intended it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It's not about colors that you can calibrate anyway, but PC will abuse the OLED and burn-ins are highly expected compared to gaming and general tv usage. You can calibrate any tv as well and make the colors great. But you know that PC has lots of static bars/images that you should be babysitting the OLED to avoid burn-in. For gaming and general TV usage for reasonable amount of time OLED is wonderful and images look more natural and 3D-like.

There is no perfect TV out there yet, we are still few years away from microLED and Crystal LED (CLED).

Last edited:
You know that OLEDs have lower color volume than LCDs, right? :lollipop_grinning:

Sony OLEDs thought, are some of the most accurate at displaying things as content creators intended it.
To be honest, no lol. I just always hear nothing but praise for OLED outside of burn in which for me probably wouldn't be that much of an issue as PC use would be limited to a second display with all of the Windows elements on my monitor. Gsync/Freesync sounded great as well.
It's not about colors that you can calibrate anyway, but PC will abuse the OLED and burn-ins are highly expected compared to gaming and general tv usage. You can calibrate any tv as well and make the colors great. But you know that PC has lots of static bars/images that you should be babysitting the OLED to avoid burn-in. For gaming and general TV usage for reasonable amount of time OLED is wonderful and images look more natural and 3D-like.

There is no perfect TV out there yet, we are still few years away from microLED and Crystal LED (CLED).
Hmm, that's good to know. X900H is also like $500 cheaper right now and on sale at Best Buy. If you have the time do you mind telling me any big differences between the X900/X950?

I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hmm, that's good to know. X900H is also like $500 cheaper right now and on sale at Best Buy. If you have the time do you mind telling me any big differences between the X900/X950?

I really appreciate your help.

I got the time for a good person like you, this thread is meant for members helping each other to choose the best TV that suits their lifestyle.

X900H is said to have better blacks, even with much less local dimming zones compared to X950H, yet it doesn't have X-Wide Angle like X950H which is great for a living room for perfect viewing angle, but X900H still pretty decent from an angle. X900H is using a VA panel, I think, which is why it has amazing blacks despite the lack of enough black levels.

X950H has an upgraded processor, X1 Ultimate compared to X1, and has around 1200-nits peak brightness compared to around ~750-nits X900H. So HDR content is much better and accurate in X950H, and more vibrant and pops out nicely. X900H is very decent though, you need to see them both side by side in best buy.

X900H has full HDMI 2.1 support, this is the biggest feature for next gen gaming, with 4K@120Hz, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low latency Mode (ALLM), and eARC. X950H has eARC though. Input lag is as law as 7.2ms in X900H, it's simply entering monitor speeds.

X950H processor has AI gradience for 8-bit content to help minimizing banding in low bitrate content that can been see in the sky. I personally don't like that when editing because I turn every tech of to see what's the actual content look like, which is Graphics mode:

x900h-graphics-mode.jpg

Overall, I think X900H is the better deal.

I got the time for a good person like you, this thread is meant for members helping each other to choose the best TV that suits their lifestyle.

X900H is said to have better blacks, even with much less local dimming zones compared to X950H, yet it doesn't have X-Wide Angle like X950H which is great for a living room for perfect viewing angle, but X900H still pretty decent from an angle. X900H is using a VA panel, I think, which is why it has amazing blacks despite the lack of enough black levels.

X950H has an upgraded processor, X1 Ultimate compared to X1, and has around 1200-nits peak brightness compared to around ~750-nits X900H. So HDR content is much better and accurate in X950H, and more vibrant and pops out nicely. X900H is very decent though, you need to see them both side by side in best buy.

X900H has full HDMI 2.1 support, this is the biggest feature for next gen gaming, with 4K@120Hz, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low latency Mode (ALLM), and eARC. X950H has eARC though. Input lag is as law as 7.2ms in X900H, it's simply entering monitor speeds.

X950H processor has AI gradience for 8-bit content to help minimizing banding in low bitrate content that can been see in the sky. I personally don't like that when editing because I turn every tech of to see what's the actual content look like, which is Graphics mode:

x900h-graphics-mode.jpg

Overall, I think X900H is the better deal.
I’ll check that video out. I added a few to my YouTube queue.

Have they put any sort of date on the 2.1 feature update? I see VRR/ALLM isn’t supported quite yet but as long as it’ll come out I’m okay with it. I just want to make sure I’m fully supported with PS5.

I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions but how do you go about calibrating a tv? Is this something I can do myself?

Would you make the jump to the Sony from the TCL?

TVs make me feel dumb lol. I know a ton about computers and phones but TVs and monitor lose me.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Have they put any sort of date on the 2.1 feature update? I see VRR/ALLM isn’t supported quite yet but as long as it’ll come out I’m okay with it. I just want to make sure I’m fully supported with PS5.

I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions but how do you go about calibrating a tv? Is this something I can do myself?

TVs make me feel dumb lol. I know a ton about computers and phones but TVs and monitor lose me.
It's the official 2020 PS5 TV.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It's a question that you have to ask yourself, the bold part. Are you satisfied with your current TV? Any 4K HDR HDMI 2.0 should be pretty fine with PS5, like 90% good. Do you feel comfortable paying extra money for the full experience?

Personally, I was having XH90 in my plans, now not so sure after the announcement of Sony a7S III that I'm willing to get that with its lenses and accessories could cost me around $5-7K at least, so not sure if getting it. Sony XD70 is still decent, but might wait for black friday or later into 2021 when it gets in sale or see with 2021 models have to offer.

And yes, it'll at least support HDMI 2.1 before PS5 release, Sony can't gamble there. They can't afford to fuck it up. My XD70 was HDR-ready, but got the firmware update later to activate it. It's a matter of a lawsuit if they fuck it up.

Patterson

You mean using 3x 1.4 DP with HDMI converters? Would love to see your setup! Please keep us updated.
Will do. It also hinges on what the next gen cards can do because ideally I’d want them to be 4k considering how close they‘ll be to me in surround formation.

As for connections, yes I’ll have to get DP to HDMI too.

It's a question that you have to ask yourself, the bold part. Are you satisfied with your current TV? Any 4K HDR HDMI 2.0 should be pretty fine with PS5, like 90% good. Do you feel comfortable paying extra money for the full experience?

Personally, I was having XH90 in my plans, now not so sure after the announcement of Sony a7S III that I'm willing to get that with its lenses and accessories could cost me around $5-7K at least, so not sure if getting it. Sony XD70 is still decent, but might wait for black friday or later into 2021 when it gets in sale or see with 2021 models have to offer.

And yes, it'll at least support HDMI 2.1 before PS5 release, Sony can't gamble there. They can't afford to fuck it up. My XD70 was HDR-ready, but got the firmware update later to activate it. It's a matter of a lawsuit if they fuck it up.
Thanks for your help. I think I'll wait for now. I just now found out that my TCL could receive a VRR update at some point (just says select 2019 6 series) which helps a bit though hopefully it's a standard that PS5 supports.

I'll keep looking but I'm gonna hold on on pulling the trigger for now.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
About the price of the CX in its 48" and 55" sizes, I suppose there's much less interest for the smaller size so it's probably seen as a product for very specific customers, so LG must expect to sell lesser quantities and they think they can keep the price up accordingly.
It's also likely that it will be the first model to go down in price in cleanup sales, because in that size bracket there's very few OLEDs and they're significantly more expensive than LEDs of the same size. I expect sellers to want to get rid of the 48-inchers ASAP 'cause the market for those must be quite limited.

About other features, I think a big problem in choosing a TV is that reviews focus almost exclusively on TVs' performance with movies. None of the most trusted reviewers ever actually test TVs for games or PC use apart from input lag. If I had known of OLED stutter and motion resolution with games I'd probably have bought a FALD LED TV, or waited for next year's TVs.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
About the price of the CX in its 48" and 55" sizes, I suppose there's much less interest for the smaller size so it's probably seen as a product for very specific customers, so LG must expect to sell lesser quantities and they think they can keep the price up accordingly.
It's also likely that it will be the first model to go down in price in cleanup sales, because in that size bracket there's very few OLEDs and they're significantly more expensive than LEDs of the same size. I expect sellers to want to get rid of the 48-inchers ASAP 'cause the market for those must be quite limited.

About other features, I think a big problem in choosing a TV is that reviews focus almost exclusively on TVs' performance with movies. None of the most trusted reviewers ever actually test TVs for games or PC use apart from input lag. If I had known of OLED stutter and moron resolution with games I'd probably have bought a FALD LED TV, or waited for next year's TVs.

Ironically, rtings gave 4.8/10 for CX for stutter and yet gave it very high score for gaming. So their logic of final results isn't clear, to me at least, but they're still the best.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ironically, rtings gave 4.8/10 for CX for stutter and yet give it very high score for gaming. So their logic of final results isn't clear, to me at least, but they're still the best.
I think their rating for video game use takes into account refresh rate, resolution support and input lag. It must be based on pure numbers though, because it's quite clear they don't actually test games on those TVs. Nor does Vincent Teoh, apart from that game mode comparison video.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think their rating for video game use takes into account refresh rate, resolution support and input lag. It must be based on pure numbers though, because it's quite clear they don't actually test games on those TVs. Nor does Vincent Teoh, apart from that game mode comparison video.

That's why using casual feedback along with professional feedback is the best way to reach a better understanding of what you're getting. We probably need a true, dedicated gaming-oriented reviews for TV's and monitors.

========

This should help:

tv-size.jpg

Jigga117

About other features, I think a big problem in choosing a TV is that reviews focus almost exclusively on TVs' performance with movies. None of the most trusted reviewers ever actually test TVs for games or PC use apart from input lag. If I had known of OLED stutter and motion resolution with games I'd probably have bought a FALD LED TV, or waited for next year's TVs.
There are plenty of youtube videos of gamers and reviewers playing games. Been gaming on the C9 55 since Feb and the 77 since Apr 2020 on PC, Xbox and PS4 with no issues. Plenty of users here have had no issues with games. it is why alot of sites recommend it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There are plenty of youtube videos of gamers and reviewers playing games. Been gaming on the C9 55 since Feb and the 77 since Apr 2020 on PC, Xbox and PS4 with no issues. Plenty of users here have had no issues with games. it is why alot of sites recommend it.

Those are great at higher framerates, the 24-30fps is when the stutter begins, or let's say below 40fps when VRR is out of business. They are still one of the greatest TV's to get for gaming, every TV has its flaws.

What size do you have?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Finally setup my C9, very happy with it...

It's in a very small room (Office room) so my wife calls it the cinema now.
Can't wait to get the PS5 on it, I haven't played a game on it yet. Just Netflix.

Wan't to put a drinks chiller, air purifier, new carpet and a record player in there still. Then we will be ready to go.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Can't wait to get the PS5 on it, I haven't played a game on it yet. Just Netflix.

Wan't to put a drinks chiller, air purifier, new carpet and a record player in there still. Then we will be ready to go.

Wonderful! What size?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just a 55, if I went any bigger it wouldn't fit in the room. haha

I got a really great deal, so it made it a no brainer really.

What are you using Bo?

Currently? I have an old LG LCD 4K since 2015 in the living room and 4K HDR Sony XD70, both 55". Was planning for Sony XH90, but not sure as Sony has just thrown a7S III and that just jumps above with all lenses and accessories required as 1# priority. And also paying now 1500 OMR ($3900) for a home maid visa.:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

So far Xperia 1 ii and XH90 have went to wishlist for me until I can sort my shit up.:lollipop_fearful: And bought a new drone few days ago, sold my Phantom 4 Pro (combo) for 300 OMR ($780) and bought Mavic Air 2 (combo) for 425 OMR ($1105). Not bad at all, it was a quick move as Phantoms might fall real hard in prices when they make it clear that they'll be discontinued.

I think I'll wait until PS5 release or even 2021 and get the XH90 after a price drop. It's being sold for 579 OMR ($1505) for the 65" model.

MrS

Banned

Watch Altered Carbon on this TV. Looks absolutely insane.

Bryank75

Banned
Currently? I have an old LG LCD 4K since 2015 in the living room and 4K HDR Sony XD70, both 55". Was planning for Sony XH90, but not sure as Sony has just thrown a7S III and that just jumps above with all lenses and accessories required as 1# priority. And also paying now 1500 OMR ($3900) for a home maid visa.:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

So far Xperia 1 ii and XH90 have went to wishlist for me until I can sort my shit up.:lollipop_fearful: And bought a new drone few days ago, sold my Phantom 4 Pro (combo) for 300 OMR ($780) and bought Mavic Air 2 (combo) for 425 OMR ($1105). Not bad at all, it was a quick move as Phantoms might fall real hard in prices when they make it clear that they'll be discontinued.

I think I'll wait until PS5 release or even 2021 and get the XH90 after a price drop. It's being sold for 579 OMR ($1505) for the 65" model.
Nice, I love the Sony cameras but as you say they are pricey... and the Mavic is savage!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nice, I love the Sony cameras but as you say they are pricey... and the Mavic is savage!

If you don't make money back, it's an expensive hobby to have. It can be serious business to me, I mean real business that can lift me seriously high financially if I'm lucky and things go to plan ;) I'll be getting that $13K lens (600mm f/4) if I succeed, lol.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
If you don't make money back, it's an expensive hobby to have. It can be serious business to me, I mean real business that can lift me seriously high financially if I'm lucky and things go to plan ;) I'll be getting that $13K lens (600mm f/4) if I succeed, lol.
Awesome, hope you post some of your work one of the days!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Awesome, hope you post some of your work one of the days!

We're kinda sharing some here, been making small documentaries about fauna and flora for Oman TV since 2012 myself. But here you may take a look at GAF's photography side!

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Posting a video about 4K 120Hz gaming just proves my point, my friend :messenger_grinning_smiling:

This TV is all fine and dandy for high-performance gaming and 60+ fps, but when I play a game with a more down-to-earth framerate the issues with motion are there. I’ve been saying this so many times already that I’m starting to annoy myself, lol.

I’m not saying the C9/CX isn’t a great TV.

Futurematic

Is a LG B7 with mild yellow burn-in in a corner worth it for 600 Canadian? Three years old of course so it might burn in elsewhere soon, the competition would be similarly priced TVs like the TCL R635 on sale.

(Canadian TV prices tend to be randomly whack, from sales to MSRP)

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Is a LG B7 with mild yellow burn-in in a corner worth it for 600 Canadian? Three years old of course so it might burn in elsewhere soon, the competition would be similarly priced TVs like the TCL R635 on sale.

I can't believe that you're even considering buying a used OLED with burn-in. No, don't buy it.

Get the R635.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

No man, don't do it. B7 is infamous with burn-ins already, don't even buy a new one. It only got better after C9/B9.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Just ordered the LG 27GN950 4k 144hz monitor will arrive next week will give impressions on that.

Its up for sale in the US on Best Buys site and direct from LG

4K on any screen that's less than 40" is pointless; screen sizes below that threshold are so small that icons and text at 4K will be too small to discern without enlarging them by 100% to 150%, which defeats the purpose of utilizing 4K.

If your mindset is that 4K will benefit image quality in games on a 28" screen and that you don't care for icons and text, then you're mistaken; you won't be able to discern any additional detail in games relative to 2560 x 1440 or perhaps even 1920 x 1080.

I speak from personal experience, as I owned a 28" 4K monitor for a while (ASUS PB287Q).

You might as well save money and get a 27" screen whose resolution is 2560 x 1440. However, I personally recommend getting a 40" to 43" 4K TV instead and use that as a monitor; a lot of modern 4K TVs are designed to function well as PC monitors via support of 4K @ 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and modes for low input lag. I used an LG 43UH6500 (43") as a 4K monitor from 2016 until two weeks ago, when I replaced it with a TCL 55R635 (55"); 43" and 55" are large enough for text and icons to be discernable without having to enlarge them, which prevents the enormous real estate of 4K from being wasted.

I really hate how awful PC monitors are across the board with QA, dead pixels, light bleed, black uniformity, etc. On top of that there's always a compromise with monitors, black levels, color reproduction, or accuracy, have to pick 2, can't have all three.

4K on any screen that's less than 40" is pointless; screen sizes below that threshold are so small that icons and text at 4K will be too small to discern without enlarging them by 100% to 150%, which defeats the purpose of utilizing 4K.

If your mindset is that 4K will benefit image quality in games on a 28" screen and that you don't care for icons and text, then you're mistaken; you won't be able to discern any additional detail in games relative to 2560 x 1440 or perhaps even 1920 x 1080.

I speak from personal experience, as I owned a 28" 4K monitor for a while (ASUS PB287Q).

You might as well save money and get a 27" screen whose resolution is 2560 x 1440. However, I personally recommend getting a 40" to 43" 4K TV instead and use that as a monitor; a lot of modern 4K TVs are designed to function well as PC monitors via support of 4K @ 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and modes for low input lag. I used an LG 43UH6500 (43") as a 4K monitor from 2016 until two weeks ago, when I replaced it with a TCL 55R635 (55"); 43" and 55" are large enough for text and icons to be discernable without having to enlarge them, which prevents the enormous real estate of 4K from being wasted.

I have several pc monitors an LG 27gl850 1440 144 an LG 27ul600 4K 60 and me favorite a Samsung 27CHG70 1440p 144hz VA panel that works with the Xbox 1440p 120hz update.

I wanted this new 4K 144hz to combine a couple of those displays.

RasAlGhoul

Good thing it's not your money he's spending.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I have several pc monitors an LG 27gl850 1440 144 an LG 27ul600 4K 60 and me favorite a Samsung 27CHG70 1440p 144hz VA panel that works with the Xbox 1440p 120hz update.

I wanted this new 4K 144hz to combine a couple of those displays.

Well, regardless of your intentions, if you want 4K, then you should aim for a larger screen size.

It's just advice, fella. At the end of the day, he can go out there...and do whatever the *$%@ he wanna' do!

I dont mind peoples opinions at all.

Pretty happy with my choices though.

I want one monitor that I can play 4k games on plus have the option to lower the graphics and crank up the FPS.

I also have consoles hooked up to my monitors and while the PS4 Pro allows me to output in 4k on the 1440p monitors Xbox does not allow this.

Xbox forces me to run a lower resolution and by far if I play the same game on my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro on my 1440p display the PS$ Pro has a sharper image.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thank you all for the contribution, this thread has become a very great source for people seeking advice about TV's and even monitors!

• Strength
Reactions: MrS

RasAlGhoul

I just recently purchased the Asus VG27AQ for the pc and it’s a fantastic monitor at a great price.

Well reviewed too.

Jigga117

Posting a video about 4K 120Hz gaming just proves my point, my friend :messenger_grinning_smiling:

This TV is all fine and dandy for high-performance gaming and 60+ fps, but when I play a game with a more down-to-earth framerate the issues with motion are there. I’ve been saying this so many times already that I’m starting to annoy myself, lol.

I’m not saying the C9/CX isn’t a great TV.
Why buy this tv for 30fps I mean seriously. This reminds me of people buying HD tvs and still watching SD content expecting better than what you will get. High performance tv needs high performance into it. Kind of defeats the point I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom