• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

S0ULZB0URNE

Despite oled not getting as bright in HDR its typically more impressive due to better contrast with infinite ratio and not having blooming that lcd hdr is notorious for.

I have never been impressed with the dim HDR performance of OLED.
The blacks get so black that they crush/lose details and I don't care for that either.

I don't get noteworthy blooming on my FALD LED's when I watch straight on.

I won't touch the burn in elephant in the room which kills the tech for gaming IMO.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
should I wait for something with HDMI 2.1 or 2.0 is fine? been looking around on monitors and TV and some friend was telling me to wait for 2.1

You came this far, it's better to go for HDMI 2.1. My usual recommendations: Sony X900H, LG C9/CX.

Next gen consoles might use 4K@120Hz even for 30-60fps games to improve latency with VRR. If you already own a decent 4K HDR tv then upgrading will make like 10% improvement or so for your overall experience, or barely 1% depending on how good your current tv is.

Tygeezy

I have never been impressed with the dim HDR performance of OLED.
The blacks get so black that they crush/lose details and I don't care for that either.

I don't get noteworthy blooming on my FALD LED's when I watch straight on.

I won't touch the burn in elephant in the room which kills the tech for gaming IMO.
800 nits isn't dim by any means. there are a lot of lcds that it out performs or is on par with. Blind tests have always had oleds coming out on top with hdr performance because the blooming will destroy some specular highlight detail that oled preserves.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

800 nits isn't dim by any means. there are a lot of lcds that it out performs or is on par with. Blind tests have always had oleds coming out on top with hdr performance because the blooming will destroy some specular highlight detail that oled preserves.
No OLED in NA does 800nits real scene brightness and if they did it would drop due to abl.

Tygeezy

No OLED in NA does 800nits real scene brightness and if they did it would drop due to abl.
Real scene brightness clocked in at over 700 nits on the c9. It didn’t get hit with any abl issues until it was in a 50 % window which you won’t be doing a lot of.

dark scenes with bright speculate highlights is where hdr shines and coincidentally that’s oledo’s strength.

S0ULZB0URNE

Real scene brightness clocked in at over 700 nits on the c9. It didn’t get hit with any abl issues until it was in a 50 % window which you won’t be doing a lot of.

dark scenes with bright speculate highlights is where hdr shines and coincidentally that’s oledo’s strength.
Due to ABL It never sustains its peak brightness(which is already low) though is what I am saying.

OLED's are significantly darker and show way less highlight details than a good FALD LED.

Tygeezy

Due to ABL It never sustains its peak brightness(which is already low) though is what I am saying.

OLED's are significantly darker and show way less highlight details than a good FALD LED.
Again, 700 + nits and even over 800 in a lot of scenes is not dim or low brightness. It outperforms a lot of lcd hdr displays. Only the higher end lcd models tend to be light canons and that still isn’t the best measurement of picture quality. I’ve personally only had abl kick in when I have high oled light in sdr using it as a monitor and putting up a white screen.

Oled light at 25 which equals max of 100 nits which is what sdr is suppose to be it doesn’t kick in.

In HDR I’ve never had it kick in because you don’t see extended static scenes of very high brightness.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I would say if you don't torture your tv for like 8-24+ hours in a daily basis, then go for OLED. To me, I'm going for Sony X900H as it can be open for more than 24 hours straight quite often, and for color accuracy when I work on my PC.

Every model suits someone, just each should choose what fits his/her needs.

S0ULZB0URNE

Again, 700 + nits and even over 800 in a lot of scenes is not dim or low brightness. It outperforms a lot of lcd hdr displays. Only the higher end lcd models tend to be light canons and that still isn’t the best measurement of picture quality. I’ve personally only had abl kick in when I have high oled light in sdr using it as a monitor and putting up a white screen.

Oled light at 25 which equals max of 100 nits which is what sdr is suppose to be it doesn’t kick in.

In HDR I’ve never had it kick in because you don’t see extended static scenes of very high brightness.
Again it doesn't come close to a decent FALD.
In YOUR opinion it's not the best measurement but I will never use OLED for more than a dark room movie TV because of how dim it is,the black crush,burn in and let me add the image is 2 soft on the LG's.

S0ULZB0URNE

I would say if you don't torture your tv for like 8-24+ hours in a daily basis, then go for OLED. To me, I'm going for Sony X900H as it can be open for more than 24 hours straight quite often, and for color accuracy when I work on my PC.

Every model suits someone, just each should choose what fits his/her needs.
2 hours straight will give burn in as per my convo with Robert @ VE who wanted to sell me the CX but was honest.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
2 hours straight will give burn in as per my convo with Robert @ VE who wanted to sell me the CX but was honest.

I once spent in neogaf like 44 hours straight, and gaming on MGS5 like 51 hours in 2015. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

OLED is definitely not for me, X900H is more suitable to me.

Last edited:
H
I'm using 55" for my PC. You might like it ;) Except if you still prefer using usual desktop setup. I use a recliner chair and wireless keyboard/mouse. For PC gaming, it might not be optimal. You can still like place the TV like on the wall and have 2-3meters (6-10 feet) away on traditional desktop table/chair.

Some helpful ideas:

Steiger_Dynamics_Living_Room_PC_HTPC_Couchmaster_PC_Gaming_Sofa.jpg

1523826251_maxresdefault.jpg

Just don't eat pizza while gaming.:lollipop_downcast_sweat:

perfect-couch-pc-gaming-setup.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I personally don't game on my "gaming" PC, only usual use and video/photo editing and other working stuff.
Holy shit, is that the forty year old Papa Papa ?
Edit

Does he have a blowjob machine? His eyes are rolling back. He ain't seeing what he's playing.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Again it doesn't come close to a decent FALD.
In YOUR opinion it's not the best measurement but I will never use OLED for more than a dark room movie TV because of how dim it is,the black crush,burn in and let me add the image is 2 soft on the LG's.
You keep telling everybody it is dim doesn't make it true. The numbers measured are not dim unless you are measuring in a 50 +% window which isn't a normal use case for hdr.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes. The F slid in.

Wonderful TV, image quality wise. But it's HDMI 2.0. But you'll be more than good with 4K@60Hz HDR with impressive HDR performance. XH90 is the cheaper choice yet the complete package for next gen gaming (HDMI 2.1: 4K@120Hz, VRR, eARC, ALLM), if you can still change your purchase (if you feel the need to, XH95 is a wonderful TV overall).

Last edited:

HarryKS

Wonderful TV, image quality wise. But it's HDMI 2.0. But you'll be more than good with 4K@60Hz HDR with impressive HDR performance. XH90 is the cheaper choice yet the complete package for next gen gaming (HDMI 2.1: 4K@120Hz, VRR, eARC, ALLM), if you can still change your purchase (if you feel the need to, XH95 is a wonderful TV overall).

No, I thought about the 2.1 thing, then I decided I'd rather have a better package than 2.1 and 4k@120hz, which won't really happen.
I also opted for the 950 because it was the most high-end model in the non-oled category. It was vanity.

It's perfectly fine with the PS4 on game mode.

Rac3r

Seems like the recommended 2.1 options are as follows:

Sony X900H 55"-85"
Sony A9S 48" OLED (eARC confirmed but other 2.1 features unclear, available for preorder in Europe, US release later this year)

LG CX OLED 48"-77"

Samsung Q80T QLED 49"-85"

Really hope we see some smaller 2.1 sets in the near future. I don't have the space for anything over 45", which leaves me with little to no options. I'll still probably buy one impulsively when the new consoles come out though lol. Likely one of the OLEDS with a warranty for the potential burn-in.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

this is not true, rtings and Vinent Teoh have done extensive burn in tests on multiple tvs and have not foudn this to tbe the case.
I won't waste time posting from the thousands of pictures and "true" horror stories that say otherwise.
It's inherited to the tech,can it be reduced? Yes but it's inevitable.

S0ULZB0URNE

You keep telling everybody it is dim doesn't make it true. The numbers measured are not dim unless you are measuring in a 50 +% window which isn't a normal use case for hdr.
You are right it's actually...
SUPER dim vs a good FALD LED.

HDR tech is getting brighter..
Guess who's getting left behind?

S0ULZB0URNE

Since when is 800 nits “super dim?”

It's not 800 and as i stated it cannot sustain it's peak brightness due to ABL also they pale in comparison vs good FALD LED's plus HDR tech is getting brighter and brighter.

Those videos say one thing but throughout the actual reviews the burn in possibility is mentioned by the same people lol

Anybody unsure on the fence can do research and when they weed through the bs they will find countless stories of users who do have burn in,black crush and ABL issues.

Do you know why ABL is so aggressive on OLED's?

Tygeezy

It's not 800 and as i stated it cannot sustain it's peak brightness due to ABL also they pale in comparison vs good FALD LED's plus HDR tech is getting brighter and brighter.

Those videos say one thing but throughout the actual reviews the burn in possibility is mentioned by the same people lol

Anybody unsure on the fence can do research and when they weed through the bs they will find countless stories of users who do have burn in,black crush and ABL issues.

Do you know why ABL is so aggressive on OLED's?
Rtings does tests for sustained peak brightness which would test for abl kicking in. In a 10 % window which is actually quite a lot of the screen for hdr scenes was 802 nits for the lg c9.

You keep making these claims without any numbers to back them up.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For all guys debating here, burn-ins is a reality in OLED, rtings even acknowledge that for C9 and CX. Sony's reference monitor has shifted from OLED to Dual-layer LCD for both 1000 nits and burn in complains as heard from movie makers in Hollywood?

As an OLED user, should you care? Yes/No, depends on your usage. C7 and C8 were horrible, I got a friend who got burn ins within 1-3 months. Since C9, it improved a lot, but ABL could turn white to a bit grayish in HDR, just like the complains about blooming and grayish blacks on LCD in dark rooms.

Overall, C9 and CX are wonderful, although they stutter at 24-30fps, the picture quality is wonderful and HDR performance is great for most people. If you don't use it for more than 8 hours continuously, then you should not be worried. It fits those busy people who don't have that much spare time.

If you're more into productivity like me, then Sony is no brainer due to being the most color accurate out of the box, unless you're gonna spend another $200-300 for calibration. And if you use your PC like me for hours, whether it's for video/photo editing, surfing the web, or any stuff that might take long sessions then you better avoid OLED's as well.

Price? Well, we all know that X900H is the best bang for the buck, but not everyone is on a tight budget. It's a plus, but not deciding factor for me, at least.

Would C9/CX survive for years? Not sure, I personally doubt that, but LCD's will be there for more than 10 years when they're demoted to other rooms inside your house and still stand tall.

Everyone should pick the tv that he/she can live with its negatives, there is no perfect TV out there.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seems like the recommended 2.1 options are as follows:

Sony X900H 55"-85"
Sony A9S 48" OLED (eARC confirmed but other 2.1 features unclear, available for preorder in Europe, US release later this year)

LG CX OLED 48"-77"

Samsung Q80T QLED 49"-85"

Really hope we see some smaller 2.1 sets in the near future. I don't have the space for anything over 45", which leaves me with little to no options. I'll still probably buy one impulsively when the new consoles come out though lol. Likely one of the OLEDS with a warranty for the potential burn-in.

I would say take away A9S from there, it'll only be HDMI 2.0. And take away Q80T, because it has shit HDR/image quality in game mode, probably push for Q90T instead (not sure of its game mode as well, better check youtube reviews).

Last edited:

cryogenic7

Complete BS, I have accidentally left a bright static image on my OLED overnight and got no burn in at all. I have both FALD and OLED TV's, and the OLED screen smokes the FALD in every single way. I think you bought a FALD TV and are trying to justify your purchase.

S0ULZB0URNE

Complete BS, I have accidentally left a bright static image on my OLED overnight and got no burn in at all. I have both FALD and OLED TV's, and the OLED screen smokes the FALD in every single way. I think you bought a FALD TV and are trying to justify your purchase.
Lol what

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This our tv thread? I'm in the market for a replacement for my trusty old Panny plasma. I don't need one today or this month even but in the next few months. I'm looking at the new Vizios. Specifically the P series quantum x. They aren't fully out yet but they seem to be a great upper mid-range tv. Also looking at the TCL R635. BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef are you still enjoying yours? Lastly, I'm considering just blowing the budget up and going with a Sony oled. I know the Sony oleds aren't as good for gaming but most of my tv time isn't spent gaming. What do you think GAF?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This our tv thread? I'm in the market for a replacement for my trusty old Panny plasma. I don't need one today or this month even but in the next few months. I'm looking at the new Vizios. Specifically the P series quantum x. They aren't fully out yet but they seem to be a great upper mid-range tv. Also looking at the TCL R635. BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef are you still enjoying yours? Lastly, I'm considering just blowing the budget up and going with a sony oled. I know the Sony oleds aren't as good for gaming but most of my tv time isn't spent gaming. What do you think GAF?

Well, I would say avoid the new Vizio OLED, it's simply broken. As for TCL and Sony OLED, TCL 2019 models are solid, the new ones tend to crush details with their miniLED and their processing isn't good enough. Sony OLED is actually one of the most expensive TV's out there, and it's HDMI 2.0. It's honestly your call, but I'll suggest: Sony X900H, LG C9/CX, and probably Samsung Q90T. See as much reviews as possible before investing, many of them are here as well.

Wanted to try this thread before making a new one.

I've been bitten by the OLED bug, and I've been looking around and reading reviews. I've been looking at the LG CX and mostly the 48" version . Having 4K/120 with Gsync/Freesync/VRR over HDMI sounds great and the color always looks so good in person but I have a few questions.

1. I currently have a 2019 TCL 6 Series QLED. I know it's a great band for the buck TV but is it worth upgrading? I would technically be downsizing which will bring me to another question..
2. The 48 and 55 are the same price now basically everywhere. Is there any reason for that? It seems weird to buy a 48 when the 55 is the same price but right now a 48 would fit me better in my bedroom. I live with a roommate so we have a common room with a 65" Sony but I'm also thinking about the future when I move out.
3. I know this thread is about consoles, but does anybody use this for PC? I currently have my PC hooked up to both my monitor and my TV for when I wanna play on a big screen. Now my PC can't handle anything close to 4k/60 so I generally can do 1440p/60. I've heard I have to force this resolution on the LG OLEDs.
4. I know Vizio is coming out with a OLED in a matter of a couple weeks I believe. Is it worth waiting for the Vizio? I want to make sure that if I'm spending $1500 that I'm getting the best for next gen. I know the 55 Vizio is $1299.

Top Bottom