• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. veterans are voluntarily becoming human shields for Standing Rock protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

https://news.vice.com/story/us-veterans-become-human-shields-for-standing-rock-protesters

U.S. military veterans continue to arrive at the snowy Standing Rock encampment to form a human shield between protesters and police. By Sunday, camp organizers say, about 2,000 vets will be on site.

“Our goal is to stand there and if need be take the rounds for the First Nations people so they can do their thing,” said Mark Sanderson, a former Army Sergeant who served in Iraq.

The vets, who will be be unarmed but wearing body armor, have vowed to protect protesters from police who have arrested hundreds of people in the last two months while utilizing tear gas, rubber bullets, and water cannons.

The Army Corps of Engineers has said that on Dec. 5 it will close the land it manages and on which the Oceti Sakowin camp stands. North Dakota’s governor has said the camp must immediately evacuate at that point, citing safety concerns now that the bitter plains winter has arrived.

“I appreciate the governor’s concern about our safety,” said Oceti Sakowin media organizer John Bigelow. “I wish he had been concerned about our safety when he was spraying us with water cannons in 23 degree weather.”

Protectors have refused to leave the land, and it’s unclear whether police will forcibly remove them. If they attempt to, veterans say they will be there to help.

“We’re here to assist in any way possible,” Sanderson said. “The police are trying to say it’s not a peaceful protest because we’re in body armor,” “But I mean, this doesn’t look aggressive at all. There are no magazine pouches, there’s nothing that can be construed as having a weapon. We’re just padding ourselves against any force they might use.”

For Sanderson, the battle over the pipeline is not just an environmental issue. He also feels that he’s standing on the right side of history after fighting in Iraq, which he says he considers an unjust war.

“In my prior deployment, I really feel like I was being utilized in the same way the troops are being utilized here,” he said. “To protect American interests, whether fossil fuel, natural gas, pipeline. It’s all the same, and it’s the wrong way forward.”

Volimar

VzqyngF.gif

bremon

Wow, that is impressive. I don't even know what else to say about it, but there's something to be said for standing up for what's right.

This is amazing. I don't even understand how this groundswell of support from vets is possible?

Most I've spoken to at worth are directly on the side with the First Nations here. Small pool of 15 or so, but that's my sample size. If I wasn't active duty across the country, I'd be there.

All military services word these slightly differently, but we share core values: loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, and personal courage. These vets are demonstrating all of them.

Kudos to these vets for standing up for what they believe in. Due to overwhelming support for the military from both sides of the government, we're sometimes the ideal group to step in to these events. There are also clear UCMJ regulations that prevent this sort of activism and service representation, which is why it's almost exclusively people who've hung up their uniform.

People who got their assholes in a knot over sitting during the anthem because it "insults the military" need to pay attention to this. Veterans are standing up because the people at SR are entitled to their freedom and humanity. These protests and persistent fight for recognition is what America is about. This is why people fought valiantly. Not for a flag. Not for a song. Sooner American's understand that, the sooner we can carve out the disease of disenfranchisement and marginalization that has been rotting this country since it's inception. I proudly salute these vets and continue to stand for the Natives at SR.

Dryk

These stories of disillusioned Iraq veterans going to Standing Rock so they can finally feel like they're serving the American people are awesome

Its rare to see news that doesnt make me feel like shit, so I'm glad to say that this has made my day. Much respect for the protesters as well as those looking out for them. The extra exposure is also a plus.

People who got their assholes in a knot over sitting during the anthem because it "insults the military" need to pay attention to this. Veterans are standing up because the people at SR are entitled to their freedom and humanity. These protests and persistent fight for recognition is what America is about. This is why people fought valiantly. Not for a flag. Not for a song. Sooner American's understand that, the sooner we can carve out the disease of disenfranchisement and marginalization that has been rotting this country since it's inception. I proudly salute these vets and continue to stand for the Natives at SR.

Dude, as a Canadian I say to you, well said! Just, well fucking said!!

The NFL and by proxy the DoD turned the flag and anthem into a commodity for profit, so the sanctity argument is silly. The Services were literally paying the NFL to put military members on display for recruitment. Notice the overwhelmingly supportive message from actual military members to the kneeling?

I think the very act of playing the anthem before a sporting event is a bigger political statement than kneeling down during it.

Koomaster

No lie, this news brings tears to my eyes. Hope at the very least the protesters will be treated as human now, otherwise it's going to be a real PR shitshow if you start mistreating vets. Makes me feel hopeful over this situation for the first time.

The NFL and by proxy the DoD turned the flag and anthem into a commodity for profit, so the sanctity argument is silly. The Services were literally paying the NFL to put military members on display for recruitment. Notice the overwhelmingly supportive message from actual military members to the kneeling?

I think the very act of playing the anthem before a sporting event is a bigger political statement than kneeling down during it.

I think you missed the point he was trying to make there

Massive respect to these men and women. Our President has been silent, but the vets answer the call.

Also found this line so hypocritical from the police: “The police are trying to say it’s not a peaceful protest because we’re in body armor”. Like, if they think body armor is not peaceful, then I guess we shouldn't consider them peaceful, either.

geardo

If I wasn't in the middle of starting a new job and moving I would totally be there. Props to my battles.

RS4-

Much respect to the men and women, vets and everyone else that continues to do what's right and stand up for this.

I wish I could do more than just donate. Friend asked me if I'd like to head down there but I'm tied up with work in Canada.

They posted a video earlier about how slow the gofundme is to actually release funds to them because of the delay at the bank. They posted on FB asking for donations via Square Cash instead.

https://cash.me/$VeteranStand

I just tried to donate and my payment was rejected. Still trying to figure out why. From the comments on FB sounds like i'm not the only one who couldn't get it to work.

https://www.facebook.com/VeteransStandForStandingRock

Awesome that its happening. One of my friends is one of them,as he mentioned he was heading there with a vet group from Texas in the next few days. I donated some gear to him (helmet, gasmask and vest). Best of luck to them.

Media

There's been talk of this happening for awhile, and now that there's actually movement and organization, and.. it's beautiful. Thank you.

I believe it swelled from someone pointing out that Natives have always served in the military at surprising rates and fellow vets owed them.

There's been talk of this happening for awhile, and now that there's actually movement and organization, and.. it's beautiful. Thank you.

I believe it swelled from someone pointing out that Natives have always served in the military at surprising rates and fellow vets owed them.

They do, my grandfather included. If he was still alive he would have brought a huge group of veterans with him to be there. Nothing in this world (other than death) would stop him, I know he's there in spirit.

*happy tear

Media

They do, my grandfather included. If he was still alive he would have brought a huge group of veterans with him to be there. Nothing in this world (other than death) would stop him, I know he's there in spirit.

*happy tear

Lots of my family served, including my sister. Hell, it's a huge point of honor now (Code talkers and all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom