• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Isn't Bad... It's Infuriating by Raycevick

Soodanim

Ubisoft are like EA. They make games with as broad appeal as possible, which makes them lots of money but doesn't get them many points with more dedicated fans of the industry.

Personally I haven't played a new Ubisoft game in quite some time, and I think the newest ones I bought were the AC2 trilogy. Anything newer doesn't appeal to me.

I'm also not a fan of any company that forces its own launcher on PC, and that's exactly what Ubi (and EA) do. Even less motivation for me.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Wasnt Me GIF by BBC

The paradox of Ubisoft...Everyone shits on them, yet everyone plays their games.

You need to take the price into factors.

Ubisoft games gets price slash quickly and heavily. Normally within 12 months, their flagship games drop down to 20 bucks.

For 20 bucks you get high production value and good graphics and art style pretty much for all their lineups. Even you get bored by their formula say like in 10 hours, it's still a good time consider how much you paid.

-BLITZ-

Brutal review over Ubisoft. Well done, but I'm not sure if this will be beneficial for the consumer and detrimental to the company. :messenger_grinning: :messenger_relieved:

I acquired Far Cry 6 (without owning 4/5/Primal/Dawn) during the 17 euros promotion on steam. I played a lot, doing everything and finishing the story, and I had my share of fun, if you know how to use the mechanics of the game at your advantage but learning the hard way which was not relaxing for me. But ever since I finished the story, I have not returned to the game for exactly the same reasons that were spoken about in the review. The same repetitive tasks you have to do on guard posts; destroy the same objects in order to conquer the post. Infuriating mechanics for the AI NPC reactions and manifestations, which sometimes are really broken and have the same spawn issues system as the enemy vehicles in Far Cry 2 on the roads. I couldn't handle it once I finished the story. However, because the graphics are really stunning, sometimes I want to go back and have some fun, but that fun comes with issues and then I stop wanting to enter into the game. :messenger_confused:

And also, the most STUPID idea was to implement the normal/armour-piercing bullets system, which only worked on certain NPCs, even if you headshot them. Changing the ammo frequently. The infuriating process of fitting the right NPC was repeated every few seconds. Armour-piercing bullets don't work for NPCs who don't own armor. Even if you headshot them, they simply don't die. You have to use normal ammo. What the hell?! :messenger_dizzy::messenger_pouting:

Dying Light 2 is the only game I have been playing for weeks now. What a difference.

Last edited:

Hudo

Ubisoft used to be one of my favorite publishers during the PS2 and PS3 eras. Rayman 2, Rayman 3, BG&E, AC1, AC2, AC:B, Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy, Splinter Cell games, HoMM 5 (is still the only good 3D HoMM), Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (one of my favorite games of all time), PoP 2008. I even liked Far Cry 2 and 3 to a certain extent.

RickSanchez

They used to be great. The first few games in the Splinter Cell, Far Cry & Assassin's Creed franchises are fantastic. Even Watch Dogs 1 was quite good.

But they keep making the same shit again and again, with zero innovation in either narrative or gameplay. It is easy to get bored of it.

Take the new Avatar game - vast open world, eye-popping graphics, good combat but it is brought down by your usual checklist of boring side activities, 1-dimensional characters, unoriginal story and bloated runtime.

tusharngf

at this moment only good studio in Ubisoft is IVORY TOWER the developers of crew series. It's getting update every week. Unbound and forza players moving to motorfest now. Car handling graphics and online components are pretty awesome.

Last edited:

mdkirby

My theory is because most of their games are the 'comfort food' of gaming. It's like someone who likes watching those direct-to-dvd B movies or a blumhouse horror film. That person knows exactly what they're going to get and they're okay with it.
This. And there’s nothing wrong with this. Sometimes you just want some comfort food, it’s been a long day, you don’t want anything complicated, just something familiar. It’s like rewatching old CSI, or family guy in the background whilst browsing your phone. Sometimes it’s just what’s needed. There are however much better games, that also qualify as comfort food, and tick that box…but very few are as long as a Ubisoft game, and they are reliable, you always know pretty much what you’re gonna get.

kyussman

I always liked the Assassin's Creed games for their historical tourism elements more than anything,as the games became more detailed I enjoyed just being in those worlds and soaking up the atmosphere they generated,I think they did this very well......the actual game design was always something I would just put up with as it became more and more repetitive.

Paasei

Don't shit or don't play?
Both actually. I’m not particularly interested in their games, but I do not shit on Ubisoft either. It’s whatever to me.

AC was cool for a long time for me. Not because of AC but because of the historical settings. I went wild on the in-game sightseeing and reading about it.

Also enjoyed R6 Siege until I lost my interest in it over time, as I do with many multiplayer games.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The only Ubisoft game I played in the las few years, was FarCry 6. And it was a terrible game.
Terrible writing, awful characters, dated graphics and very repetitive gameplay.
There is no reason to play Ubisoft games, as most are just low effort trash.

“Everyone”

Just as “everyone” watches Fox News and eats at McDonald’s.

The fact is, there are so many people on earth, and the markets are so large, that even the worst products and ideas and thrive on just a fraction of the population patronizing them.

PS: Prince of Persia Lost Crown is one of the best games released in recent memory.

Last edited:

geary

“Everyone”

Just as “everyone” watches Fox News and eats at McDonald’s.
Some people took the ‘everyone’ literally and they needed to make clear they dont eat McDonalds and they deleted the Fox News from the tv programme, as you can see in this thread.

Of course, “everyone” is not to be taken literally, but i forgot that on the internet you need to be so precise in your wording.

The fact still remains that only that on reviews and social media you find only negative opinions on their games, but “everyone minus few people on negaf” plays their games. You shut down your brain and wander on pre-medieval England, ancient Greece or in a south american isle.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm 75% through this video and honestly he's just saying what pretty much everyone [outside of the normies] have been saying.

Kind of a muddy video; every time I think he's working towards a point he just starts talking about something else.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Finished Immortals Fenyx Rising recently and the game was really great. Played the 3 DLC after for the game and 2 of them were amazing. Sue me I guess?

Last edited:

mdkirby

Some people took the ‘everyone’ literally and they needed to make clear they dont eat McDonalds and they deleted the Fox News from the tv programme, as you can see in this thread.

Of course, “everyone” is not to be taken literally, but i forgot that on the internet you need to be so precise in your wording.

The fact still remains that only that on reviews and social media you find only negative opinions on their games, but “everyone minus few people on negaf” plays their games. You shut down your brain and wander on pre-medieval England, ancient Greece or in a south american isle.
It's sadly very common for people to communicate in absolutes. Whether that is referring to a majority, or even just a lot of people, as 'ALL' or 'EVERYONE', when the real answer is much more nuanced, or when asked a question reply firmly and definitely in the positive or negative, when in reality there's often again more nuance and uncertainty, ie a "yes...but', or 'mostly' or 'likely'. Unfortunately society as a whole typically rewards and often demands absolutes, the alternative can be viewed as weak, vague, uncertain, passing/spreading blame or making excuses, and this can regularly breed into just general discourse, such as here. People with ASD/ADHD diversities will likely identify this pattern and may or may not be aware that NOT conforming to this societal norm is typically a symptom of Neurodiversity, where they knowingly or unknowingly express (sometimes verbosely) the added context and nuance in their answers/statements.

keefged4

The games they churn out thesedays are all tickbox excercise map clearing with enough flashy colours and explosions to cater for the zoomer tiktok folks, with maximum amounts of fluff and padding to make sure they are hundreds of hours long. All style, no substance, just slop. But they did give us Beyond Good and Evil, so there's that at least.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The last Ubi game I really played was Trials Rising. Or maybe Steep, whichever of those came after. Since then they haven't made anything for me.

DaGwaphics

I'm playing Far Cry 5 right now. I find the game fun.

I think the issue is more that the Ubi games are formulaic, regardless of the IP. If you've played them a lot, you tire of it. I haven't played that many of their open worlds.

AJUMP23

I like a lot of their games. But they have other games I don't care about. I care very little about their internal issues, but they do need to treat employees with respect.

They gave us Mario and Rabbids, and those are great.

They just need to add Final Fantasy to the titles of their games.
Also remake old shit.
Neogaf will be making thread after thread Ubisoft games.

I want to play the Avatar Pandora game, but waiting for the price drop.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The paradox of Ubisoft...Everyone shits on them, yet everyone plays their games.

Blind hate or blind love, they are both for dumb sheep.

I play their games (I love Rayman and have had lots of good times with The Division 2) and I don't shit on Ubisoft per se.

Of course doesn't mean I don't criticize them like any other company when they deserve it. I f.ex. hate the fucking stupid AI and respawn scripting in some of their games, it's infuriating that they seem to not be able to fix it.

Last edited:

Bridges

Ubisoft has some real interesting projects that I enjoy. Maro+Rabbids is incredible. Rocksmith was great (before the switch to subscription at least). For Honor is really cool and unique and it's amazing that it's still being supported. Rainbow Six Siege is one of the best when it comes to competitive shooters and I even liked the Extraction spinoff.

It's their bread and butter stuff that makes me think negatively on them. Assassin's Creed, Far Cry and Just Dance ad nauseum. They're the most "by committee" games out there and there's always another one around the corner. They were fun the first few go-rounds too but they've run them into the ground with little innovation. I also will always think twice before picking up a Ubisoft title now, after what happened with the original Watch_Dogs.

Buggy Loop

Last game I bought them from was Mario + Rabbids 2017, Steep in 2016, Rocksmith 2014, and before that, AC2 god knows when

Honestly haven't played their games in ages. Certainly not their yearly AC cash grabs.

They are the pioneer of the ambitious attempt of AAAA games and I will not have you besmeerch their good name. Name another company that shits out as much mindless collect-a-thons on a map? Okay, don't answer that. Name another company that allows for so many premium pre-order options to allow you to speedrun through their 70 dollar games. Shit. Okay don't answer that.

Fuck, I got nothing.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
That was a whole lotta talk for nothing.

If you're infuriated by Ubisoft your life must be pretty good otherwise 😄

My filthy casual cousin always buys the next AC & COD.
He doesn't check reviews. He's busy with his job & family.

When I asked him why he just said "Because it's AC" " Because it's Call of Duty".

People speak with their wallets and we all enjoy different things.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yes, somehow I play most of those games from Ubisoft. I only left out the latest Assa because I wasn't interested at all.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Yes, somehow I play most of those games from Ubisoft. I only left out the latest Assa because I wasn't interested at all.
I did enjoy Valhalla and clocked in about 110 hours.

But about 30 minutes in that Ragnarok expansion I felt sick to my stomach.
Just a bunch of reused systems.

Top Bottom