• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
200w.gif
who-are-you-tom-cruise.gif

Ah I see another clone of SlimeGooGoo.

NanaMiku

After playing 13 Sentinels (my first vanillaware title) I'm suspecting the story will get more interesting as the game progresses - sounds good so far!
This is just a bit of precaution.

Unicorn Overlord is not directed by George Kamitani (Odin Sphere, GrimGrimoire, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, 13 Sentinels). It's directed by Takafumi Noma, one of Vanillaware's programmers.

This is just a bit of precaution.

Unicorn Overlord is not directed by George Kamitani (Odin Sphere, GrimGrimoire, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, 13 Sentinels). It's directed by Takafumi Noma, one of Vanillaware's programmers.

Is he still working on Unicorn Overlord? Or is his working on another project?

Danjin44

George Kamitani? Still no info. Unicorn Overlord is Takafumi Noma's project from the beginning.
What crazy that this project was in works after Dragon's Crown finished production and because of 13 Sentinels which Noma had join the team to help out, it slowed down the development on Unicorn Overlord.

Base on the info we got so far this game by far Vanillaware's biggest game in terms scale.

My hype for this game....
hype-dance.gif

Last edited:

Danjin44

Not gonna lie. They had me at first with "Remember Ogre Battle?". But this is so much more than that. And it also has a fucking Gambit system.

It's as if Matsuno himself was working on this.
Also you can use siege weapon to break in to the castle wall.....thats so cool, when was the last time we could do something like this in SRPG.
s0Jx293.png

Last edited:

Labadal

They have been doing some countdown art. Only 18 days to go. I wasn't even thinking about it being so close. Games I am interested in are releasing in an outrageous pace.

Danjin44

Gun to head I’m getting unicorn over ff7 anyway.
I'm getting both but if you tell me which one I'm most hype for, I will tell you its Unicorn Overlord.

Vanillaware is right beside FromSoftware and Monolith Soft as my favourite devs of all time and they NEVER disappoint me.

Last edited:

Labadal

https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsus-most-wanted-games-february-18-2024/
Most wanted games according to Famitsu votes (18/2 2024)

1. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth – 981 votes
2. [PS5] Pragmata – 358 votes
3. [PS5] Monster Hunter Wilds – 355 votes
4. [NSW] Unicorn Overlord – 350 votes
5. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door – 305 votes
6. [PS5] Dragon’s Dogma 2 – 302 votes
7. [NSW] Princess Peach: Showtime – 270 votes
8. [NSW] SaGa Emerald Beyond – 228 votes
9. [NSW] Mario vs. Donkey Kong – 223 votes
10. [NSW] Ushiro – 199 votes
11. [PS5] Unicorn Overlord – 196 votes
12. [NSW] Professor Layton and the New World of Steam – 175 votes
13. [PS5] Metaphor: ReFantazio – 154 votes
14. [NSW] Retro Game Challenge 1 + 2 Replay – 125 votes
15. [PS5] Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes – 122 votes
16. [NSW] Fantasy Life i: The Girl Who Steals Time – 117 votes
17. [NSW] Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD – 101 votes
18. [NSW] Seifuku Kanojo – 90 votes
19. [PS4] Unicorn Overlord – 85 votes
20. [NSW] Winning Post 10 2024 – 80 votes
21. [NSW] Shin chan: Shiro of Coal Town – 77 votes
22. [NSW] Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars – 76 votes
23. [PS5] SaGa Emerald Beyond – 74 votes
24. [NSW] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8 Remake – 72 votes
25. [PS4] Metaphor: ReFantazio – 69 votes
26. [NSW] Dragon Quest X Online All-In-One Package Version 1-7 – 64 votes
27. [PS4] SaGa Emerald Beyond – 58 votes
28. [PS5] Rise of the Ronin – 53 votes
29. [NSW] Touhou Spell Carnival – 51 votes
30. [PS5] Visions of Mana – 50 votes

Danjin44

https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsus-most-wanted-games-february-18-2024/
Most wanted games according to Famitsu votes (18/2 2024)

1. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth – 981 votes
2. [PS5] Pragmata – 358 votes
3. [PS5] Monster Hunter Wilds – 355 votes
4. [NSW] Unicorn Overlord – 350 votes
5. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door – 305 votes
6. [PS5] Dragon’s Dogma 2 – 302 votes
7. [NSW] Princess Peach: Showtime – 270 votes
8. [NSW] SaGa Emerald Beyond – 228 votes
9. [NSW] Mario vs. Donkey Kong – 223 votes
10. [NSW] Ushiro – 199 votes
11. [PS5] Unicorn Overlord – 196 votes
12. [NSW] Professor Layton and the New World of Steam – 175 votes
13. [PS5] Metaphor: ReFantazio – 154 votes
14. [NSW] Retro Game Challenge 1 + 2 Replay – 125 votes
15. [PS5] Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes – 122 votes
16. [NSW] Fantasy Life i: The Girl Who Steals Time – 117 votes
17. [NSW] Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD – 101 votes
18. [NSW] Seifuku Kanojo – 90 votes
19. [PS4] Unicorn Overlord – 85 votes
20. [NSW] Winning Post 10 2024 – 80 votes
21. [NSW] Shin chan: Shiro of Coal Town – 77 votes
22. [NSW] Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars – 76 votes
23. [PS5] SaGa Emerald Beyond – 74 votes
24. [NSW] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8 Remake – 72 votes
25. [PS4] Metaphor: ReFantazio – 69 votes
26. [NSW] Dragon Quest X Online All-In-One Package Version 1-7 – 64 votes
27. [PS4] SaGa Emerald Beyond – 58 votes
28. [PS5] Rise of the Ronin – 53 votes
29. [NSW] Touhou Spell Carnival – 51 votes
30. [PS5] Visions of Mana – 50 votes
maomao-the-apothecary-diaries.gif

ranmafan

I love the fact the hype is growing for this. I’m honestly more excited for Unicorn Overlord than any other release right now. I’m doing my best to clean off as many of the JRPGs I’ve gotten lately in time for it. Persona 3 almost done, Granblue I will get through in time, ffvii rebirth I have a feeling I’ll rush through just in time. I just want to have as much time as I can with this without any other gaming distractions.

I love the fact the hype is growing for this. I’m honestly more excited for Unicorn Overlord than any other release right now. I’m doing my best to clean off as many of the JRPGs I’ve gotten lately in time for it. Persona 3 almost done, Granblue I will get through in time, ffvii rebirth I have a feeling I’ll rush through just in time. I just want to have as much time as I can with this without any other gaming distractions.

Yeah Unicorn Overlord, Eiyuden Chronicle and Sand Land are the ones I'm buying and playing right away

I didn't buy Persona 3 Reload and Granblue Fantasy Relink due to not feeling it's worth it. I'm gonna to be waiting for a sale on those games. So most likely in 1 to 2 years and by than alot of mods will be out for it

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I don't understand what Atlus is thinking releasing this one at the same time as FFVII Rebirth, it's literally like they are purposely sending it out to die
Yep, it’s weird. I mean I am all for this game, it’s my cup of tea and I love Vanillaware, but come on folks.

FFVII R open world episode 2 is coming and that’s not something most JRPG fans will skip.

Edit: I guess Switch players (with no PS5) would be the audience. No PC release unfortunately.

Last edited:

Jedge

I'm doing my best to go into this game blind; but at some point I might break. I think I've seen maybe a one or two trailers.
I know vanillaware will deliver regardless and I'm happy to support them if they keep making unique games.

Danjin44

Yep, it’s weird. I mean I am all for this game, it’s my cup of tea and I love Vanillaware, but come on folks.

FFVII R open world episode 2 is coming and that’s not something most JRPG fans will skip.

Edit: I guess Switch players (with no PS5) would be the audience. No PC release unfortunately.
I'm hoping there are more people like me who will buy both.....but you are right we got TOO MANY games releasing so damn close to each like P3 Reload and GB Relink, FFVII Rebirth and Unicorn Overlord, Dragon Dogma and Rise of the Rōnin......What the hell?

Reactions: Isa

bender

What time is it?
While it certainly doesn't help, it feels like Vanillaware has a built in audience for their games are going to perform who they are going to perform no matter when they are released.

Danjin44

While it certainly doesn't help, it feels like Vanillaware has a built in audience for their games are going to perform who they are going to perform no matter when they are released.
Thats true, with13 Sentinels despite being super niche game managed to sell pretty damn well.....with that being said Vanillaware really needs to think about releasing their games on PC. I feel like game like Unicorn Overlord has more audience on PC compare to Xbox.....especially the fact this game is not on GamePass which majority of Xbox players won't even give this game a chance.

bender

What time is it?
Thats true, with13 Sentinels despite being super niche game managed to sell pretty damn well.....with that being said Vanillaware really needs to think about releasing their games on PC. I feel like game like Unicorn Overlord has more audience on PC compare to Xbox.....especially the fact this game is not on GamePass which majority of Xbox players won't even give this game a chance.

I didn't even realize it was coming to Xbox. PC seems like a no-brainer but a lot of Japanese developers still want to skip the platform for some reason.

Danjin44

I didn't even realize it was coming to Xbox. PC seems like a no-brainer but a lot of Japanese developers still want to skip the platform for some reason.
Its getting better this gen in fact most Atlus game does get PC release expect Vanillaware games.

foamdino

This looks really nice, but I'm swamped right now and I'm unlikely to have the time in early march - unless I can magically complete the 4 games I have on the go in the next week or so.

On the wishlist you go Unicorn Overlord.

Danjin44

This looks really nice, but I'm swamped right now and I'm unlikely to have the time in early march - unless I can magically complete the 4 games I have on the go in the next week or so.

On the wishlist you go Unicorn Overlord.
Drop everything and get this game!
im-not-asking-you-mike-alexander.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom