• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oki, today's illustration is something else. 👀

GGwESirWUAAIi1b

OuterLimits

Not a fan of Vanillaware typically, but damn I'm probably going to buy this around launch if reviews are good. I can't resist solid strategy games.

Fake

I don't think FF will be a problem in the same release date. FF will only be release on PS5, while Unicorn will get a PS4 and Nintendo Switch. Atlus maybe want to know how well this game will be in Japan.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
On a serious note, the cast is really not memorable at all.
Having all those characters to design has a price.

I wish they did a Princess Crown 2 one of those days.

cac3f55580620af4a8668882618e2d776e27188be9c861d6.png

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
You'd think the demo is hitting PS5 as well. I hope so since that's what version I've pre-ordered, but if not I'll definitely try the Switch demo.

Oberstein

The game looks absolutely stunning on Switch. It's the kind of Saturn/PSX title we've all been dreaming of. The quality of the animations has taken another leap forward.

On the other hand, clearly, it won't be a game for everyone. In fact, at first, I thought that combat was in automatic mode by default - what an idiot I was! Very promising, but I've only played for half an hour, so we'll see.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Demo was alright. I did enjoy it a bit. Its just very slow with minimal player input. Was holding fast forward in battles pretty quickly. The switch idled to low lighting mode 3x from not touching the controller.

The art style is phenomenal as expected, but it does feel pretty stiff and slow compared to other modern anime style games like Hi-Fi Rush or DBZ Fighters.

The UI before battles is pretty nice. Has that trademark Tactics Ogre look with the gambit commands next to every ability displayed.

I didnt hate the story so far but the dialogue, while decently well written, can be a bit dry and overly verbose with glacial pacing.

By the time you get your first archer it finally became genuinely fun. You gain more ability to affect tactical decisions in battle and on the map. You have to put up with a very slow start but thats when the tutorials start to taper off and you get a sense of the gameplay loop, which is pretty fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom