• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unofficial MORTAL KOMBAT: ARMAGEDDON (Wii) thread/impressions

fernoca

Well, since I'm a big MK fan..and mostly everyone else around here hates it..I don't expect this thread to get a lot of attention, so I'll just post stuff related to what's new/different on the Wii and some general impressions.

NEW
Additional Character: Khameleon
-The only Mortal Kombat character to be exclusive to a Nintendo system (so far). She made her debut on the Nintendo 64 version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy; as a gray female ninja. Her moves back then, consisted on the special moves of the other female ninjas, depending on the color of her name in the Life Bar. So, if the name was blue: she had Kitana's moves, Purple: Mileena's, Green: Jade's.

On the Wii, she's more similar to Chameleon (the other color-chaging ninja), in the way that her skin is clear/transparent looking, but when she performs one of the moves of one of the female characters, her clothes change depending the color of that specific character: Yellow=Tanya, Blue=Kitana, etc.) She only have 4 special moves: Mileena's teleport kick, Kitana's Square Wave Punch, Tanya's Fireball and Jade's Teleport. [Her main color's costume is still gray as in the N64 version]

Her fighting style is Eagle Claw and her weapon is a machete, named: Falchion.

New background menu-pics
-The original PS2 and Xbox version only had: Kitana/Mileena, Sub-Zero/Scorpion, Sonya/Kano, Liu Kang/Shang Tsung and Johny Cage/Goro.
New (added) to the Wii version are:

Sektor & Cyrax

Rayden & Shinnok

Sindel & Shao Kahn

Endurance
-The classic: choose a character and try to defeat as many as you can, with only 1 life bar. Though every few matches, you're giving an opportunity to heal yourself (a little)...to see how far can you go.

Wii Remote Training
-You pick a character, and you're shown the gestures you need to do to perform each of the special moves.

Wii Training Video
-A semi-long video that shows/demostrates how to perform character moves and explains how the control set-up works.

Lazy Kombat?
-Hehehe..well, not lazy. But new to this version is that, at any specific moment you can command the character to lay on the ground. This can be used to evade projectiles mainly, but another advantage is that you can punch/kick your opponent while on the ground.

GENERAL STUFF/CHANGES
-When using the Wiimote as apointer, the cursor is a red dot with some smoke...as it was a laser. Only used in the menu's and to chosse a character.
-Slightly reduced loading times.
-Attacks are performed with the digital (+) pad, all special moves are gesture based.
-Fatalities are also/only gesture based when using the Wiimote.
-The speaker emits a sound every time you performe a gesture based attack/fatality, sound ;similar to a sword.
-Motor Kombat can be controlled only with the Wiimote. (as a wheel)
-Special moves in Konquest mode are also gesture based.
-The game is compatible with the Wiimote/Nunchuck, Classic Controller and GameCube controller. (that's even the first message taht appears on the screen) The Classic Controller, feels pretty much like playing the game on the PS2 and/or Xbox.
-Visuals are the same as in the Xbox version, which means slightly improved over the PS2 version and some bump-mapping here and there.
-Sound is more clear in the Wii version...for some reason.

GREAT STUFF THAT WAS ALREADY IN THE ORIGINAL VERSIONS
-Kreate a Character: You can create your own character and give him/her a your own personal touch, by even naming the fighting styles and weapons they use...or you can create classic comic legends like Hulk, Spider-Man..even other games characters like Ryu, M.Bison...there are hundreds of possibilities.

-Motor Kombat: Similar to Mario Kart and up to 4 players at the same time. Little versions of the MK characters riding in go-karts related also to their personalities. each character have 1 special move.

-Konquest: An adventure game, that explains the events leading to the Armageddon. Quite fun and long (around 10 hours), considering that many developers charge full-price for similar games.

-The Vault: Dozens of pictures, trailers, art, music samples. It also holds 1 additional costume per character and a few other stages.

In the end, even when Midway couldn't get the game to be online thanks to Nintendo, it shows that they put a lot of enthusiasm and interest in making the Wii version, The little details like the laser as a pointer/cursor and the training videos among other things show it. Mortal Kombat bias aside, anyone should at least try and rent this game..before posting "MK died with MKII" or "MK is not as deep as [Insert any name here]".

UPDATES:
-Post #9 includes codes to unlock the 4 secret characters without having to play Konquest.
-Post #9 also includes the button combinations to lay on the ground.
-Post #14 includes a link for the full Fatality combination list.

I've never liked MK.

With that being said, this sounds pretty good. Lots of stuff crammed in there, as well as plenty of control options.

The reviews thus far have been pretty favorable as well.

tim1138

I picked it up yesterday and have been enjoying it, particularly Konquest mode. But then again I'm a long time MK fan as well. *shrugs*

Kingpen

I had this game bought, in plastic at my house the past 2 days. Couldn't get around to playing it because of time contraints, then started to question if an additional 35 bucks (over a used copy on another system) was warrented after seeing the mixed reactions of people using the Wiimote to do moves (saw some good, some bad). The bad were based on the wiimote not registering the moves performed. Then I saw today that the fatality list not only used the wiimote, but the nunchuck in moves as well....(seemed pretty complicated with using both)

I also didn't know how I would feel using the d pad for regular punches and kicks I felt like the game would evolve into just a special move fest....

All in all, I decided I would rather have Resident Evil 4 (a game I have never played) Wii edition + Mortal Kombat Armaggeddon on the 360 BC instead of just MK on Wii with the new controls.

I was pretty interested in the Endurance mode but ultimately couldn't justify the price of the Wii version when 90% of the same game was available for cheaper... They really should have released this game for 40 bucks, it probably would have sold better. I'll probably pick it up on a price drop.

I do like MK Armaggeddon though because of the character roster and I actually don't mind the fatality system.... I'm an old school MK fan as well.

fernoca

Well, to bump this... :D

Codes to unlock the hidden characters without having to play Konquest:

In The Vault, look for the '?' symbol and:
For
Meat
:
Press: Up, +Left, +Left, +Rioht, +Right, Up

For
Daegon
:
Press: Z, C, +Up, Down, Down, +Left

For
Taven
:
Press: B, Left, Z, Up, +Right, Down

For
Blaze
:
Press: +Up, Square, Left, C, Left, +Right

:)

Also, to 'lay on the ground' you just Hold Block + Front..as long as you want to.....though be warned, that...(I didn't knew) ..characters were also given an attack to counter those just laying down; similar to Tekken..you can jump and kick and the character stomps over the other.

GrayFoxPL

fernoca said:
Lazy Kombat?
-Hehehe..well, not lazy. But new to this version is that, at any specific moment you can command the character to lay on the ground. This can be used to evade projectiles mainly, but another advantage is that you can punch/kick your opponent while on the ground.

I saw that in videos and thought it was a nasty beta glitch! Seriously, looks like fliping character from vertical to horizontal position in like 3 frames. What a bizzare, out of the context feature. Did they implement it because they thought the gameplay system didn't work? Can it be whored to death?

I always liked mk but please Midway, keep yourr promise and rework mk from the ground up. And, geez, think about dynamic, simplicity and pure gameplay a bit? You know, the things that made mk cool game in the first place?

..and do HD digitalized textures on proper, realistic character models. Enough with the horibbly designed, super deformed monkeys from mk:da and up

fernoca said:
Well, since I'm a big MK fan..and mostly everyone else around here hates it..I don't expect this thread to get a lot of attention, so I'll just post stuff related to what's new/different on the Wii and some general impressions.
For the record I don't hate MK just the bastardization they made since Deadly Alliance, Shaolin Monks was good though.

GCQuinton

Just picked this up earlier today, but haven't played it yet. I was planning on picking this up for the PS2 when it came out, but decided to wait on this one since I had more than enough games to get to last fall and knew it wouldn't get played if I got it then.

fernoca

Prime crotch said:
For the record I don't hate MK just the bastardization they made since Deadly Alliance, Shaolin Monks was good though.
Heheh...relax, I wasn't refering to you (and that least thread..there are many full haters of MK here, that haven't played a single MK game since MKII)

underfooter said:
Wow, this thread's deadness might be an implication of the games bombness.

Nope...
Is a Mortal Kombat thread at NeoGAF, what did you expected? :lol
ALL Mortal Kombat threads bomb here (I even admitted that in the topic per se)..hehehe..the closest one to "not bombing" was the MKII for PS3 thread, and that's because that's the game that most of the users around here admit only liking and/or being the last one they played in all this years.

In any case...
Mortal Kombat Online posted the full/motion gestured fatality list for the Wii, for all 2 people interested... :D

This might not sound serious but it is. I've always loved some good ol' Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat for $50.00 or used ExciteTruck for $33.00?

fernoca

azrael p.o.s. said:
This might not sound serious but it is. I've always loved some good ol' Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat for $50.00 or used ExciteTruck for $33.00?

Nooo!!
Hehehe..what have you done??!! :lol

Considering eveyrone here loves ExciteTruck and hates anything Mortal Kombat...well... :lol

fernoca said:
Nooo!!
Hehehe..what have you done??!! :lol

Considering eveyrone here loves ExciteTruck and hates anything Mortal Kombat...well... :lol

Well, keep in mind that I've always adored the Mortal Kombat story... at least up to MK3 so I'm mildly curious as to how the "end" goes down.

How's that element hold up, if at all?

I'm willing to give either game a fair hearing!

fernoca

azrael p.o.s. said:
Well, keep in mind that I've always adored the Mortal Kombat story... at least up to MK3 so I'm mildly curious as to how the "end" goes down.

How's that element hold up, if at all?

I'm willing to give either game a fair hearing!

Well, the game is fun..and has lots of extras.
You also have every character of every MK fighting game at you disposal..plus you can create you own.

If you have played Deception, Armageddon is the same..but with aerial moves, which are really cool..because you start a combo on the ground..then you can continue the combo on the air..and then finish the combo on the ground..

The soundtrack is also the best one of any MK game..

As far as an actual "end" to the story..we won't know till MK8 next year..since it depends on the ending they choose to expand the storyline...

Kingpen

Did they fix the randomness of the characters that you face in Arcade mode, as well as the randomness of the stages?

How is endurance mode? Can you pull fatalities in it? Are there different stage rotation in it?

Why the hell does this cost $50? It should cost 40$ at the very most. Really, do they remember what they charged for the XB and PS2 versions at release? If anything, it should cost $10 less...

Hero

This game is a piece of crap. The fighting engine is clunky, the animation is poor, and it just lacks a fun factor.

At least they took the time to implement Wii, Classic, and Wavebird control methods.

Kingpen

yeah, the used copy of MK Armageddon on xbox is giving me disc read errors, I am intrigued with this new Wii version but still can't get over spending 30 bucks more for it, when I can take back my used one and get a new one for 3 bucks more...

joeposh

Hero said:
This game is a piece of crap. The fighting engine is clunky, the animation is poor, and it just lacks a fun factor.

At least they took the time to implement Wii, Classic, and Wavebird control methods.

It's not bad... I bought Deadly Alliance for the GC and absolutely hated it due to the controls and sluggish game play. I picked this one up since it's different from anything else in my Wii library, and I got 20 bucks off for picking up Mario Party at the same time at CC. Thus far, it's been much more fun than DA. I'm still adjusting to some of the Waggle controls (you really have to keep your arm straight, kinda like Blur), but can nail the moves pretty consistently now. It really makes the fight a more fluid experience (when you actually pull it off), and helps people who are usually intimidated by complex button combos pull off some impressive maneuvers. I still have to put more time into it, but thus far it seems like a pretty decent MK translation.

Kingpen

Can anyone please answer the following questions:

Being a big MK fan, this will most likely make or break the purchase for me.

Are there random Arcade Ladders? And random stages? In the xbox version there either was one of 2 ladders, one with a few ninjas in it, and one with nothing but chicks in it until Goro at the end. And they all had the same stages. This game has about 30+ stages and I think I always used to see the same 15

Please describe endurance mode. Is it all just set in one stage, and can you pull fatalities, or do the guys just blow up once you land the final blow?

MK Armageddon is seriously lacking in the 1P department, and answers to these questions would help to provide a lot of longevity in the game....

fernoca

Kingpen said:
Did they fix the randomness of the characters that you face in Arcade mode, as well as the randomness of the stages?

How is endurance mode? Can you pull fatalities in it? Are there different stage rotation in it?

About Randomness in Arcade
-Nope. Still random and still the same order from the PS2 and Xbox version (like when you pick Kitana..you sometimes face ALL the female characters)

Endurance
-Is nto bad. You pick 1 character..you're give 1 life bar...and you need to beat as many opponents you can, in 1-Round battles. Every 3 matches your characters regenerates some life back. Each opponent you defeat explodes into pieces. Each defeat also gives you koins. No loading between each fight, by the way (unlike the loading-plagued PSP version) and nope, no individual Fatalities in each fight. And no stage rotation. (as far as I know..)

fernoca

Kingpen said:
Can anyone please answer the following questions:

Being a big MK fan, this will most likely make or break the purchase for me.

Are there random Arcade Ladders? And random stages? In the xbox version there either was one of 2 ladders, one with a few ninjas in it, and one with nothing but chicks in it until Goro at the end. And they all had the same stages. This game has about 30+ stages and I think I always used to see the same 15

Please describe endurance mode. Is it all just set in one stage, and can you pull fatalities, or do the guys just blow up once you land the final blow?

MK Armageddon is seriously lacking in the 1P department, and answers to these questions would help to provide a lot of longevity in the game....

To add to the previous reply...

-Keep in mind that randomness varies depending on the character you choose...
-Everything else is exactly like the Xbox/PS2 version.
For the single player there's:
-Arcade
-Endurance
-Wii Remote Training
-Motor Kombat
-Konquest
-The Vault

So it just depend on how much you enjoy those modes...

fernoca

Another update:
-Pressing the Z button (R button on the Classic) [i.e. default for Block] let's you choose the stage in Endurance (just like in Practice Mode)

Wiitard

Banned
fernoca said:
Another update:
-Pressing the Z button (R button on the Classic) [i.e. default for Block] let's you choose the stage in Endurance (just like in Practice Mode)

But is the Endurance physical in any sense? Can it be considered a workout?

joeposh

Wiitard said:
But is the Endurance physical in any sense? Can it be considered a workout?

I would say no. You do sweeping physical motions with the wiimote and they aren't constant. Thus it's not really a workout at all.

fernoca

Well, Wiitard..
In MK for the Wii, there's nothing that can be considered as "workout"..is in no way like Wii Boxing, in the way that it just uses gestures as punches.

In Armageddon, the gestures are only using to perform special moves..punches and kicks, etc..and handled by the + pad...while Block, style and movement are with the nunchuck.

The same goes for Konquest...

Motor Kombat only uses the Wiimote, sideways...

Kingpen

Well, I have gotten confirmation that the stages do rotate randomly in this version instead of being the same ones with the same opponent ladders.... That is a big thing. Bummer that you can't do fatalities on endurance, but glad you can change up the stage.

I'm thinking I'm going to bite on this version. A 2 year old port that is scoring 8's on next gen hardware with all hard opinions that reviewers have these days is definitely a good sign. Sounds like the controls are a learning curve, but ultimately pretty fun overall.

tim1138

Kingpen said:
Well, I have gotten confirmation that the stages do rotate randomly in this version instead of being the same ones with the same opponent ladders.... That is a big thing. Bummer that you can't do fatalities on endurance, but glad you can change up the stage.

I'm thinking I'm going to bite on this version. A 2 year old port that is scoring 8's on next gen hardware with all hard opinions that reviewers have these days is definitely a good sign. Sounds like the controls are a learning curve, but ultimately pretty fun overall.

For me at least, the Wii controls add a lot to the game. I played a few matches with the remote+nunchuk and then a few with the classic controller, and really enjoyed the remote/chuk combo much more. I don't think the learning curve is too steep, but there definitely is one, its worth it to spend a few minutes in the practice mode.

fernoca

Well, actually is a 7 months old port..since Armageddon was released last October..hehehehe.. :)

But is till fun...at leats to me, but I'm a MK fan..I'm..playing this game again..for the htird time..hehehe.. (not to mention buying it again)..

Anyway...
I'm planning on posting pics of my Kreated Character..later... :D ..

Some tips on how to perform special moves:

-Hold the B button, perform the move, release the B button.

-Dont pause on the hold or release of the B button, hold it and immediately perform the move then let go of B button as soon as you complete the move.

-Dont start performing the move before holding the B button. Remember all moves are based on acceleration so if you are moving the controller then hold the B button, the system will think you are starting with that acceleration and that could screw up the classification.

-Use training mode, if you can master this then you shouldnt have any problems.

-Avoid being a spaz with your movements.

Ex:

Scorpion spear - With the wiimote held in front of your body, hold down the B button, move the controller left then right and immediately let go of the B button.

Kakusha

Has there been any Asia or Japan releases for MK in the past years?
Import stores seem to carry only NA versions.

Kingpen

I just cracked open the Wii version and am having a lot of fun... I picked Scorpion 5 times in a row and only got the same ladder of opponents 2 times, the rest it was randomized. I already played on 2 stages that never made the rotation in arcade mode on the xbox already, so to me it feels like new stages, so that is a big plus. I really liked MKA on the xbox, but the same opponents on the same stages killed a lot of the fun for me before. Now I don't have that problem, so I'm pretty happy.

Have not done the tutorials, but I can do all of scorpions moves with ease after playing around for 15 minutes. It will take some more time to learn combos with the wii remote and the d-pad, but things are not bad. A few of the movements at first didn't register on the wiimote, but then after more practice they started falling easier (pay attention to the tips above)

fatalities are actually a lot of fun, more so then trying them on a controller (this was one of my negative thoughts before)

Khameleon is a welcome addition to the cast..

Have not tried endurance mode but am happy that it is there.

The only negative I can see is that the game looks a step below the old xbox version on 360 BC... Just a little less AA going on and a little less smooth edges and that is it.

All in all, the positives far outway the negatives and for an MK fan, it is worth it to take the plunge, even if you already played MKA....

Lets put it this way, I was having a blast with Forza 2 all of this morning, and now I'm just thinking about MKA Wii....

I picked this up with a trade in the other day and am enjoying it a lot so far.
The racing with a blast, and konquest is a fun beat em up.

My only complaint so far is that I can't play multiplayer using a Wii mote for one person and my Wavebirds for the other. If I have my wavebirds plugged in when the game boots up the cusor for the Wiimote will work, but not the start buttons.

That said I think this is a great pick up if you can shave a few bucks of the shelf price.

If you want to mix wiimotes and non-wiimote controllers you have to make sure that non-wiimote controllers occupy ports that a wiimote is not synched to.

For example if you have a wiimote connected to #1, then all other non wiimote controllers must occupy ports 2-4. Also the wiimote, I believe, takes priority over all other controllers.

I know you can mix and match with gamecube and classic controllers so I am almost positive it should work the same for wavebirds.

Also one thing to note, the controller that presses start at the "press start" screen becomes the "dominant" controller in the menus.

fernoca

Kakusha said:
Has there been any Asia or Japan releases for MK in the past years?
Import stores seem to carry only NA versions.

Well, I remember seeing pictures of demo units in Japan, with peopel playing Deadly Alliace..and apparently Koei was going top release it in Japan..

But after that, I don't know...

I also just noticed that the ladder is more random here than in the PS2/Xbox version..which is nice..heck, I've fought Khameleon couple of times already in Arcade..

Glad to see more people liking the game.. :)

Kingpen

Beat Blaze with Scorpion tonight and just want to say the more and more you play, the more natural the Wiimote controls get. Pulled off a 7 hit fatality with ease tonight.

I also saw the cpu do a fatality (muloch) on me, which is something I don't remember happening in the ps2/xbox versions (I could have a hazy memory though)

fernoca

Kingpen said:
Beat Blaze with Scorpion tonight and just want to say the more and more you play, the more natural the Wiimote controls get. Pulled off a 7 hit fatality with ease tonight.

I also saw the cpu do a fatality (muloch) on me, which is something I don't remember happening in the ps2/xbox versions (I could have a hazy memory though)

It depends on the difficulty..I think.
On medium at least they haven't done any Fatality..but on the most difficult ones..they do..

I also really like the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo..hehehe..
I do have a classic controller, but with the Nunchuck/Wiimote..I seem to play more fluidly...

Though for some reason..
With the classic, I don't like using the analog sticks...but in the Nunchuck..I do..
Maybe is because it's feels more "natural"..or something... :D

luffeN

i played it a little with the wiimote nunchuck combo and i dont really like it, although im a big mk fan. to me there is something wrong the the high low kicks and punches are mapped on the wiimotes dpad. guess it needs a little getting used to, but i dont like where the series has moved to. maybe with the new mk they are developing right now ill come back playing this as long as i used to years ago

Kingpen

I didn't like the d-pad either, but it is certainly something that I can get used to though with practice. It is just a very foreign way of controlling the attacks right now because it has never been done before... It does work out in the end though.

I really like the way the new fatality system ties in with the wiimote gestures. When you get a multi hit fatality, you really feel like you accomplished something....

Top Bottom