• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

JTripper

I want more games like Until Dawn. Like if it were a regular horror game or movie without the focus on each character, I'd be like, well this kind of story is pretty generic for the most part (it's got its unique moments), but since the focus is on each individual character at different points of the story, you're more interested in what happens to them specifically rather than just what happens generally since you make choices for each of them at different points in the game.

For instance, in a regular horror movie it's like "here's a cast of dumb characters. Most (or all) of them will die except for this main one who's not a total dumbass or dick" but in Until Dawn, nothing is predictable because everything that happens is consequential to what you do. So it's like you're the one making the dumb choices that everyone watching a teen horror movie would typically yell at if the character is being dumb except your choice is what you believe is going to be the safer or better choice even though it's mostly ambiguous. It's really just a matter of following your instinct and hoping the path you take isn't the "wrong" one, much like these characters in these situations.

weevles

Yeah, I'm digging the whole "butterfly effect" nature of the design. I'm liking the game a lot, it's really very good and I hope to see more games like this.

I want more games like Until Dawn. Like if it were a regular horror game or movie without the focus on each character, I'd be like, well this kind of story is pretty generic for the most part (it's got its unique moments), but since the focus is on each individual character at different points of the story, you're more interested in what happens to them specifically rather than just what happens generally since you make choices for each of them at different points in the game.

For instance, in a regular horror movie it's like "here's a cast of dumb characters. Most (or all) of them will die except for this main one who's not a total dumbass or dick" but in Until Dawn, nothing is predictable because everything that happens is consequential to what you do. So it's like you're the one making the dumb choices that everyone watching a teen horror movie would typically yell at if the character is being dumb except your choice is what you believe is going to be the safer or better choice even though it's mostly ambiguous. It's really just a matter of following your instinct and hoping the path you take isn't the "wrong" one, much like these characters in these situations.

Completely agree with you. Spending time getting to know the characters at the beginning was a great decision, and jumping around later in the game was terrific in giving you a broad idea of what's happening.

I'd love to see this style of game applied to other horror genres - like maybe a bunch of people trapped in a town hall during a zombie outbreak, or people in a small town that's gradually being taken over by shape-shifting aliens.

Impulsor

I hated her, then Matt died and she actually started fending for her self. I started to appreciate her a little, but she is still a bitch. 4.0 Bitch!

I got Matt killed too.

What I didn't like at all was the way he died, let me explain.

there was nothing indicating he would die when he did. When the fire tower collapses and I tried to save emily twice, he jumps to safety regardless and gets caught by a wendigo and gets hanged on a hook by his throat.

I remember picking up a guidance totem that told me to give the flare gun to matt. And so I did, but then he shot it as soon as he grabbed it. Which I suppose made every single killer/wendigo in the vicinity aware that they were there.

what ever,

B-Dex

I got Matt killed too.

there was nothing indicating he would die when he did. When the fire tower collapses and I tried to save emily twice, he jumps to safety regardless and gets caught by a wendigo and gets hanged on a hook by his throat.

I remember picking up a guidance totem that told me to give the flare gun to matt. And so I did, but then he shot it as soon as he grabbed it. Which I suppose made every single killer/wendigo in the vicinity aware that they were there.

what ever,

Matt will
save the flare gun if you disagree to go to the tower and can save himself if you decide to save Emily instead of ditch her

Impulsor

Matt will
save the flare gun if you disagree to go to the tower and can save himself if you decide to save Emily instead of ditch her

That's still really arbitrary. just because:
I make him disagree on going but they still go he suddenly decides to save the flare? IDK Will have to play that again when I'm done

Pilgrimzero

My step-son was playing it and decided to kill everyone. It was interesting to see certain scenes play out in a different way.

Also he failed some QTEs here and there and got a couple of scenes I wouldn't have thought to be there.

Such a good game. I want the next one to be in a "haunted hotel" like The Shining.

h0tp0ck3t

Speaking of Matt. I'm running through again for all the collectibles and one of the
loss
totems shows him
getting his face ripped off by the Wendigo
How does one get this scene :D

Bane

Speaking of Matt. I'm running through again for all the collectibles and one of the
loss
totems shows him
getting his face ripped off by the Wendigo
How does one get this scene :D

If it's the part I'm thinking of
you have to keep Jessica alive and when he finds her later on Hannah appears and you can fail certain QTEs to trigger it. It bashes his face but it kinda looks like his face is gone so I'm not sure if it's that part or not.

My step-son was playing it and decided to kill everyone. It was interesting to see certain scenes play out in a different way.

Also he failed some QTEs here and there and got a couple of scenes I wouldn't have thought to be there.

Such a good game. I want the next one to be in a "haunted hotel" like The Shining.

Okay yeah, I want this too now. That would be so awesome.

Bane

Something I think would be neat is having Peter Stormare in all the games. Have him as a different character in each and turn him into the face of the series.

h0tp0ck3t

If it's the part I'm thinking of
you have to keep Jessica alive and when he finds her later on Hannah appears and you can fail certain QTEs to trigger it. It bashes his face but it kinda looks like his face is gone so I'm not sure if it's that part or not.

Yeah that's gotta be it. Thanks!

Something I think would be neat is having Peter Stormare in all the games. Have him as a different character in each and turn him into the face of the series.

This is the best idea if you ask me. He gave a great performance and having him be the common link between all the "Until Dawn" games lets them do whatever they want with the playable cast without having to worry about continuity or making a "direct" sequel.

That would be really cool. Having him play the mayor in the next game, and then a police officer in the next and so on would be really cool.

I got Matt killed too.

what ever,

He died by the deer. I stupidly decided to have him attack at the last moment.

The Lamp

I just started this game. Holy shit how many alternate paths are there in this game? I feel like I've made so many real choices.

I can't play this game alone. The popout scares are too good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was thinking about buying this on PSN to help support the developers and Sony, but I could go and buy it used with 30% off. I normally don't ask this, but I wonder which route would be best? I use to trade every single time last gen, but this gen I've gone mostly digital. I heard it was short, but worth checking out.

I have heard a lot of good things locally about this lately. I waited a month on Heavy Rain, but I enjoyed it. I waited quite a bit for Indigo Prophecy too.

I got that 20% off for being my birthday this month and my edge card. It's been a while since I've used GS. I haven't really needed to.

Bane

I was thinking about buying this on PSN to help support the developers and Sony, but I could go and buy it used with 30% off. I normally don't ask this, but I wonder which route would be best? I use to trade every single time last gen, but this gen I've gone mostly digital. I heard it was short, but worth checking out.

I have heard a lot of good things locally about this lately. I waited a month on Heavy Rain, but I enjoyed it. I waited quite a bit for Indigo Prophecy too.

I got that 20% off for being my birthday this month and my edge card. It's been a while since I've used GS. I haven't really needed to.

Well, it really all depends on how much value you put into things like narrative and acting. Your first playthrough will probably be between six and seven hours, then you can replay it to see various other outcomes and get collectibles if you wish.

I'd say if you enjoyed Heavy Rain then you'll really dig this as it's similar gameplay but much better acting and writing.

Something else to consider is splitting the difference and buy it from a retailer new, that way you're supporting the devs but if you feel it wasn't worth full price then you can sell it. If you're in the U.S., Amazon has it for $50 currently.

It will be $39.99 new at Best Buy (and another 20% off if you have GCU) next week and you can get 25% off any PS or Xbox game this week by preordering a game for $1 at Target. If you haven't guessed I'm saying buy new - plenty of sales on it.

Diagol

It will be $39.99 new at Best Buy (and another 20% off if you have GCU) next week and you can get 25% off any PS or Xbox game this week by preordering a game for $1 at Target. If you haven't guessed I'm saying buy new - plenty of sales on it.

Is this US only? Or will it be on sale in Canada too?

I've been keeping an eye on it and planned on picking it up as soon as it went on sale.

The Lamp

How long will it be that way? I just fucking bought it yesterday.

I platted Until Dawn last night. I couldn't help myself. I absolutely loved the game. Really, everything about it. The story, the actors, the graphics, the "cinematography," and even the use of the PlayStation Camera. There's been some real Grade A games released this year and I place Until Dawn among them.

Already got it set Halloween night for everyone to get together ( except the little one of course ) and play this. Should have family and friends. Going to play it very loud and very dark. Was a hit with the last time.

Certainly up there as my game of the year so far, something about this type of game just clicks with me, loved Heavy Rain and also Beyond, so knew this was going to be something I enjoyed.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Well, it really all depends on how much value you put into things like narrative and acting. Your first playthrough will probably be between six and seven hours, then you can replay it to see various other outcomes and get collectibles if you wish.

I'd say if you enjoyed Heavy Rain then you'll really dig this as it's similar gameplay but much better acting and writing.

Something else to consider is splitting the difference and buy it from a retailer new, that way you're supporting the devs but if you feel it wasn't worth full price then you can sell it. If you're in the U.S., Amazon has it for $50 currently.

Thanks for the information. Best Buy's deal sounds great for new. I keep hearing about the different ways to play and how well it executes itself. I heard one gripe was how juvenile the cast is at times. I heard that's the worst part about it, but that's something I can probably get over.

Thanks for the information. Best Buy's deal sounds great for new. I keep hearing about the different ways to play and how well it executes itself. I heard one gripe was how juvenile the cast is at times. I heard that's the worst part about it, but that's something I can probably get over.

Being fair it's aiming to be like a teenage slasher flick so my feeling is that their actions fit right in with what I would expect to watch.

Ricker

Is this US only? Or will it be on sale in Canada too?

I've been keeping an eye on it and planned on picking it up as soon as it went on sale.

Just saw it in the Best Buy flyer in Canada..its 49 bucks though but instead of 75,its pretty good,think I will buy it now.

Osahi

Just finished. Just three survivors and
Josh still alive, but turning into a wendigo

I lost
the jock character at the very end by going for the lightswitch to early. Stupid me

Liked it overall, allthough I saw the first twist coming up from miles, and didn't really like the direction the story took after that. I'll probably play it again to see if I can save some more of them, and get some more trophies too, because I only have three now. Nobody will believe I finished the game lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG_1544.jpg

I was impatient today, so I didn't wait until the Best Buy sale. Though I did regret my decision once I pulled into traffic today. I checked to see if the disc worked and it does.

I'm not use to a disc in my PS4. It's so much more noisier with a disc than it is with a digital game. I'd say it's the loudest I've ever heard my console in a long time. I'm gonna have to use headphones.

I checked the disc and I noticed something:

IMG_1545.jpg

Does the label normally look like this?:

IMG_1546.jpg

I just went in there because I wanted to get the game, but it seems like I may have gotten the lower end of the deal. I use to not care about used games with PS2 games and so forth. I have only bought new games around launch for PS4 (KZ:SF, ACIV, and then Unity). Even the insert for the generic case is new to me, but I buy mostly digital.

12071511_10153683280431465_1195630970_n.jpg

It's been tested and it does work. The noise though. I remember the PS3 and so forth loading. I remember the distinctive humming the console made. It was almost smoothing. I have a launch PS4 and it runs just fine. I have played a lot of games digitally than physically. Even my copy of Dark Souls II: SotFS was somewhat loud. Maybe I'm just not use to it.

Ultimadrago

Just beat this game in two days after renting it from Redbox.

Had Emily
's eyes gouged out
by the Wendigo on purpose and Matt died from the same
lack-of-flare-gun-itis
in my run.

It was unfortunate that Matt had to go, but Chris/Sam/Mike (who I hated at first but came to like as Nathan Drake) and Ashley lived to see dawn. Felt good, man.

The only person who lived that I didn't actively like was Jessica. I would have had the mind to off her too earlier in the game, but she showed some redeeming quality (like a sense of humor and fun-loving nature in the snowball fights/scare.) Plus after being outted the entire game through in my run, I thought she deserved a break. She too lived to see dawn and I didn't mind that.

Going to watch all the other endings and options online today with my sister. Looking forward to seeing more of the deaths and clues I missed!

I really enjoyed the game overall. It's probably one of my favored experiences this year. I certainly wasn't expecting that, but the B-film/slasher script and presentation was too on-point for me to ignore. I loved going through it (and all my favorites lived).

=================================================================

Anyways, I have some questions though, mainly regarding Ashley (Spoilers):

A. The
voices in the mines that Ashley hears. Who or what were they? I don't believe it was a Josh recording, but there was no sign in the game that the Wendigo could mimic normal human sounds. Was it in Ashley's head?

B. Ashley
locks Chris out if he attempted to shoot her with the blank gun and tries to come in the house during his Wendigo chase. However, she tells Chis to shoot her or allow her to "save him" during that same blank gun sequence. Am I missing something here? If she honestly has Chris die when she asks him to shoot her, why does she lock him out later on? Does this only happen if you also choose Josh over her during the bladesaw sequence?
Or did I get it mixed up watching footage after my playthrough?

GSR

Anyways, I have some questions though, mainly regarding Ashley (Spoilers):

A. The
voices in the mines that Ashley hears. Who or what were they? I don't believe it was a Josh recording, but there was no sign in the game that the Wendigo could mimic normal human sounds. Was it in Ashley's head?

B. Ashley
locks Chris out if he attempted to shoot her with the blank gun and tries to come in the house during his Wendigo chase. However, she tells Chis to shoot her or allow her to "save him" during that same blank gun sequence. Am I missing something here? If she honestly has Chris die when she asks him to shoot her, why does she lock him out later on? Does this only happen if you also choose Josh over her during the bladesaw sequence?

A.
Wendigos can mimic human voices - it's part of the Stranger's notes in his diary.

B.
Not sure if you need to pick Josh over her, but in general: Ashley seems to take the Wendigo situation a lot worse (relatively) than the others - see her behavior if Emily gets bitten. She seems to be running on survival instinct, so it's possible her brain just categorizes Chris as "willing to put me in danger" even though she asked him to do it.

Ultimadrago

A.
Wendigos can mimic human voices - it's part of the Stranger's notes in his diary.

B.
Not sure if you need to pick Josh over her, but in general: Ashley seems to take the Wendigo situation a lot worse (relatively) than the others - see her behavior if Emily gets bitten. She seems to be running on survival instinct, so it's possible her brain just categorizes Chris as "willing to put me in danger" even though she asked him to do it.

A. Wow, I should have paid more attention.

B. I suppose so. Seems not-as-bad when you put it that way.

Thanks!

MUnited83

For you.
I can confirm that the game makes the PS4 go into fucking overdrive. Like a damn plane taking off. It's a bit concerning and doesn't happen with any other game I have.

A. The

B. Ashley
B.
If you point the weapon at Ashley and let her talk, she will beg you not to shoot her.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It should not, no. And to address this point:

I may be way off here, but it kind of looks to me like someone rented that from redbox, removed the label and sold it to Gamestop.

I used Redbox once about 3 years ago for a DvD in the middle of the night. I was never aware of that. I remember Blockbuster and Hollywood video had stickers on there, but that bar code seems off, unless it was suppose to add some sorta texture to the disc. Finger nail or a worn look, which is why I asked.

I guess it's better than this:
CKxLrO1UcAAhRol.jpg

IvanJ

Banned
IMG_1544.jpg

I was impatient today, so I didn't wait until the Best Buy sale. Though I did regret my decision once I pulled into traffic today. I checked to see if the disc worked and it does.

IMG_1546.jpg

I just went in there because I wanted to get the game, but it seems like I may have gotten the lower end of the deal.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but why would you go and buy a used game with no cover and a funny looking disc for $55??
Why not just spend an extra $5, get yourself a new, sealed and complete game, help the developers and withhold a 200-300% profit from the reseller?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but why would you go and buy a used game with no cover and a funny looking disc for $55??
Why not just spend an extra $5, get yourself a new, sealed and complete game, help the developers and withhold a 200-300% profit from the reseller?

I don't do this typically. I did back in the day like at Babbages, EB, and when I worked at GameStop. It's not like this is anything new.

I got a 20% off discount for my bday from their rewards program this month. I topped it off with my Edge card. It sounded like a good deal when it was $49.99 with the card.

I also got to see the store again that I use to frequent a lot years ago. I was impulsive. I've been that way before, but if you know me I typically always buy games brand new. This gen it's mostly been digital for me.

Of course I hadn't shopped at GS since a few midnight launches about 2-4 years ago. I think I got ZOE HD and AC3 at midnight from going to like every single midnight launch they had. I typically don't buy used. With PS1/PS2/etc I didn't care about the generic casings. I just didn't get Until Dawn brand new. I skipped it. Usually I'll order it online sometime when a sale pops up. I was just out and about this time.

It was kinda strange going back in. I got a new edge card back when I got DaS2 on PS4 because I was talking to the manager about former managers and employees. I went in today and a guy was working who had moved out of state since Xenosaga III had been out. LOL I'm kinda like that. I remember faces, names, and the games we use to talk about. Anyway it just all caught up to me. He asked about the case and I just made a simple remark about it. I have the vast majority of my games digitally.

I had not been inside that store for a while. I use to be there at 11 PM at all their launches, so the GS experience for me is a good 3 years or so old. Owning a PS4 and having all my games like they are has made going to GS a bit unimportant in a way. I don't sell my games like I did last gen or the gen before.

A great story: The same guy who checked me out also sold me Rogue Galaxy when it launched with the strategy guide. He didn't ring up the guide either, so I called back and told him. I went back and paid for it. He was always a nice guy.

NeonDelta

Got the platinum yesterday, would have got it earlier but
as I shot the squirrel early on I had to play through the whole game again to get the mystery man clues in chapter 7

LUXURY

IMG_1544.jpg

I'm not use to a disc in my PS4. It's so much more noisier with a disc than it is with a digital game. I'd say it's the loudest I've ever heard my console in a long time. I'm gonna have to use headphones.

I checked the disc and I noticed something:

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

I just went in there because I wanted to get the game, but it seems like I may have gotten the lower end of the deal. I use to not care about used games with PS2 games and so forth. I have only bought new games around launch for PS4 (KZ:SF, ACIV, and then Unity). Even the insert for the generic case is new to me, but I buy mostly digital.

12071511_10153683280431465_1195630970_n.jpg

It's been tested and it does work. The noise though. I remember the PS3 and so forth loading. I remember the distinctive humming the console made. It was almost smoothing. I have a launch PS4 and it runs just fine. I have played a lot of games digitally than physically. Even my copy of Dark Souls II: SotFS was somewhat loud. Maybe I'm just not use to it.

As soon as that case was pulled from the shelf, I would have ended the transaction. No game, in my opinion (no matter how old or new) should be sold to a customer like that. That's terrible. You need to take that back.

I can confirm that the game makes the PS4 go into fucking overdrive. Like a damn plane taking off. It's a bit concerning and doesn't happen with any other game I have.

You can confirm that some PS4s needs the fans to deal with this game. Mine did not.

Furthermore, this "like a plane" hyperbole needs to just die. If it was really like a plane taking off, your neighbors would be either knocking on your door to see what the hell that was, or calling the police to let them do it.

Top Bottom