• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Indiana Jones game is a Xbox console Exclusive

I mean at this point Microsoft is probably trying to fight tooth and nail to even get this game to launch on GamePass. It seems extremely likely that Disney signed a standard agreement with Bethesda to make a game for PS4/Xbox/PC to sell for $60.

Microsoft buying Bethesda isn’t gonna change the potential revenue Disney wanted to earn from the project…….

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I dont trust developers nowdays and especially not Bethesda of doing a great Indiana Jones game that will be better then the point & click adventures back in the days.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

I mean at this point Microsoft is probably trying to fight tooth and nail to even get this game to launch on GamePass. It seems extremely likely that Disney signed a standard agreement with Bethesda to make a game for PS4/Xbox/PC to sell for $60.

Microsoft buying Bethesda isn’t gonna change the potential revenue Disney wanted to earn from the project…….
Microsoft can also just say "no" to developing this game, if LucasFilms refused exclusivity.

I think the expected revenue is going to be negligible for a company like Disney.

I think what they're actually banking on is hiring skilled teams to rehabilitate a fading IP, and to generate interest in a younger demographic that they can later build on with rebooted movies. Even if they make zero from this, if it's well made and critically well received, they still gain something.

Gamepass may actually accomplish that better, as more people would be exposed to it. We know Disney is not averse to a subscription model approach considering Disney + and Hulu.

Last edited:

yurinka

How many Lucasfilm console exclusives are there? KOTOR remake is a timed console exclusive, so I assume that if the Indiana Jones deal was signed before he acquisition it will be multi, and if not it may be a timed console exclusive.

Did we get confirmation wolverine was not multiplatform? I only saw it say in development for ps5, not exclusively for ps5. No way Disney is going to let Sony reduce the potential revenue right?

That's how we play this game right?
Unlike Xbox, PlayStation has an insane market share of AAA game sales and in the last generation the big PS exclusives had insane sales. If their Wolverine game sells over 15 million units they won't care if it's exclusive or not.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ohh so now it’s battle of the movie ips?
Indiana Jones could be a great game.. it won’t be but the potential is there…

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Doenst change the fact that they will literally do a Uncharted clone with Indiana Jones.
Content-Migration-and-Ever-Moving-Goalposts2.jpeg

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Very true. Although not many would to entertain it, but there is a possibility that this game may not even launch on Gamepass day one.

It all depends on Disney -- and if they want them sweet royalty based on each copy sold. Unless MS can come up with another method of calculating royaty for Disney based on the number of downloads (which would be extremely non-profitable for Xbox/MS, I'd reckon).

It’s going to be a long couple of years :messenger_tears_of_joy: Seriously, just buy both consoles and you can play everything - you don’t have to worry about exclusive this or multi platform that.

Wolverine is exclusive to PlayStation, Indy is exclusive to Xbox, water is wet (yes, I know it isn’t actually) and the sun will rise and set each day.

Indy is clearly the bigger IP though, but I’ll happily play both - Indy on GamePass, Wolverine when it hits $20.

ManaByte

Gold Member
We don’t know either way. Spider-Man’s appearance in other games may be part of the deal Marvel has with Sony. If I had to guess, Marvel and Sony have created an arrangement that bridges movies and video games when it comes to Spider-Man. This sounds like a multi-layered agreement that could very possibly allow for Spider-man's appearance in other games, not named Spider-Man.

Look at this way, from 2000 to 2014 there were 16 "Spider-Man" games. In February 2015, Sony and Disney made a deal to bring Spider-Man into the MCU. After that, the only games released named "Spider-Man" have been from Sony and Insomniac. That is pure speculation on my part, but that timing is pretty dead on.

No we do know. But console warriors don't want to acknowledge that Marvel/Disney owns 100% of the Spider-Man merchandise rights which INCLUDES video games.

The reason why Spider-Man was exclusive on PS4 was explained by Insomniac. Marvel Games (WHO OWNS EVERY MARVEL CHARACTER GAME RIGHTS) offered Insomniac an exclusive game. Insomniac chose Spider-Man. It had nothing to do with Sony having the movie rights:
According to IGN, Sony Vice President of Product Development Connie Booth met with Insomniac to discuss the development of a Marvel game. It’s likely Sony spoke to Marvel prior to this conversation in order to gain exclusivity rights for this one title alone. However, Sony never went in to speak about a Spider-Man game specifically. Insomniac was allowed to pick any Marvel superhero to work with and ultimately decided that Spider-Man was their best bet. Sony was never given the exclusive rights to produce a Spider-Man game. They were given the ability to make an exclusive title for the PlayStation platform and Insomniac just so happened to go with Spider-Man. This led to Marvel’s Spider-Man being a PlayStation 5 exclusive when it launched in 2018.

And the claim that there have been no games with Spider-Man on other consoles since 2015 is 100% false. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Released in 2019:
marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-the-black-order-switch-hero.jpg

And that's not counting the endless mobile games that Marvel Games (NOT SONY) release on a nearly monthly basis, all of which feature Spider-Man.

Last edited:
No we do know. But console warriors don't want to acknowledge that Marvel/Disney owns 100% of the Spider-Man merchandise rights which INCLUDES video games.

The reason why Spider-Man was exclusive on PS4 was explained by Insomniac. Marvel Games (WHO OWNS EVERY MARVEL CHARACTER GAME RIGHTS) offered Insomniac an exclusive game. Insomniac chose Spider-Man. It had nothing to do with Sony having the movie rights:

And the claim that there have been no games with Spider-Man on other consoles since 2015 is 100% false. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Released in 2019:

And that's not counting the endless mobile games that Marvel Games (NOT SONY) release on a nearly monthly basis, all of which feature Spider-Man.
That may all be 100% true. Or it may be just PR, considering they just happened to pick the one superhero that Sony has some financial stake in with the movies. 2nd, they did Miles Morales who also got a Sony movie. 3rd, Venom, who also has a Sony movie.

But we'll never actually know unless Sony's emails get hacked again.

Topher

Gold Member

Read what I said again. I didn't say games that "feature" Spider-Man. I said games "named" Spider-Man. And nothing you quoted negates the possibility that the movie rights and Disney/Marvel's desire to include Spider-Man in the MCU may have had a part to play in all of it. Why did Marvel allow Insomniac to pick any character they wanted? Your quote said discussions "likely" happened after initial talks between Marvel and Sony. So that right there implies there is more to it than "here, just pick any character you want". What was the deal made that allowed that to happen? We don't know that answer so we still don't know more than we know.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Your quote said discussions "likely" happened after initial talks between Marvel and Sony. So that right there implies there is more to it than "here, just pick any character you want". What was the deal made that allowed that to happen? We don't know that answer so we still don't know more than we know.

It's not what "likely" happened. Here's a DIRECT FUCKING QUOTE from Ted Price:

"Connie Booth, who is a great friend, and also one of our partners at Sony, was down at Insomniac," Price said, "and she said to me, one day, 'What would you think about working on a Marvel game?'" Price said his immediate reaction was "fairly neutral" and, as the studio had built a following on the back of original properties, he "hadn't really considered working on someone else's IP."

Once he bounced the idea off the other developers, however, he received overwhelmingly positive feedback. "The response I got was eye-opening for me," Price said, "The answer was, ‘Are you crazy? Of course we’re going to work on a Marvel game!'"

Although he does not recall which other characters the studio discussed early on, Price said Spider-Man quickly became the frontrunner, for a number of reasons. The team at Insomniac related to the plucky superhero, identifying as scrappy underdogs themselves. Most of all, however, the team resonated with the dynamic of both the heroic Spider-Man and hapless everyman, Peter Parker.

"He's so human, and he's so relatable. He's also the most popular Marvel character in the world, I think" Price said, "but it was more Peter and Spider-Man that drew us to that particular character."

But I guess Ted Price is lying.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s going to be a long couple of years :messenger_tears_of_joy: Seriously, just buy both consoles and you can play everything - you don’t have to worry about exclusive this or multi platform that.

Wolverine is exclusive to PlayStation, Indy is exclusive to Xbox, water is wet (yes, I know it isn’t actually) and the sun will rise and set each day.

Indy is clearly the bigger IP though, but I’ll happily play both - Indy on GamePass, Wolverine when it hits $20.
Where is the fun in that?

Too many people would rather buy one plastic box and make fun of anyone who didnt buy the same box as them to justify their spending.

I own both btw

Read what I said again. I didn't say games that "feature" Spider-Man. I said games "named" Spider-Man. And nothing you quoted negates the possibility that the movie rights and Disney/Marvel's desire to include Spider-Man in the MCU may have had a part to play in all of it. Why did Marvel allow Insomniac to pick any character they wanted? Your quote said discussions "likely" happened after initial talks between Marvel and Sony. So that right there implies there is more to it than "here, just pick any character you want". What was the deal made that allowed that to happen? We don't know that answer so we still don't know more than we know.
Personally, I think they're all connected in negotiations at the very least. Wolverine game will likely connect to the Spider Man game.

Sony could literally already have negotiated some kind of Wolverine / Spider Man movie cameo thing as well. Would honestly be a novel way to introduce the character to the Marvel movies this 2nd go around.

There's about a million different comics focusing on these two.

STK357165

Topher

Gold Member
It's not what "likely" happened. Here's a DIRECT FUCKING QUOTE from Ted Price:

You really think Connie Booth just bypassed Sony and went directly to Ted Price and that is where it all started? Come on.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Edit: Wait a second. Connie Booth works for Sony, doesn't she? So Sony came to Insomniac with the Marvel deal. Yeah....that would make sense. Either way, we still don't know how Marvel and Sony came to an agreement on the Spider-Man game.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Personally, I think they're all connected in negotiations at the very least. Wolverine game will likely connect to the Spider Man game.

Sony could literally already have negotiated some kind of Wolverine / Spider Man movie cameo thing as well. Would honestly be a novel way to introduce the character to the Marvel movies this 2nd go around.

There's about a million different comics focusing on these two.

STK357165

MARVEL GAMES (not Sony) considers all the games to be part of their "Marvel Gamerverse". That includes the Insomniac games, Avengers, Guardians, the mobile games etc:
81l-DYEnWXL._AC_SX679_.jpg
61FhowkHqdL._AC_SY679_.jpg

cd96cadb-6606-4b69-bf70-fc7ec70463f5_1.45d703f48ad161bc41ae79364ff7f3cf.jpeg

Read these sometime. Execs lie a lot, because it's just not a great idea to openly talk about your plans like that.

The truth is we literally never actually know almost anything. We get crafted PR pieces and interviews that are designed to convey a narrative they want as part of their advertising. And occasionally we get some anonymous reporting and leaks.

MARVEL GAMES (not Sony) considers all the games to be part of their "Marvel Gamerverse". That includes the Insomniac games, Avengers, Guardians, the mobile games etc:
81l-DYEnWXL._AC_SX679_.jpg
61FhowkHqdL._AC_SY679_.jpg

cd96cadb-6606-4b69-bf70-fc7ec70463f5_1.45d703f48ad161bc41ae79364ff7f3cf.jpeg
Interesting. Didn't know that.

I know they're not the same canon universe, but the timing of the marketing at least may overlap is all I'm saying. When they commit their teams to someone else's IP, they probably negotiate that stuff at every level - especially considering the two companies are already intimately tied together over Spider Man.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Read these sometime. Execs lie a lot, because it's just not a great idea to openly talk about your plans like that.

The truth is we literally never actually know almost anything. We get crafted PR pieces and interviews that are designed to convey a narrative they want as part of their advertising. And occasionally we get some anonymous reporting and leaks.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

I know they're not the same canon universe, but the timing of the marketing at least may overlap is all I'm saying. When they commit their teams to someone else's IP, they probably negotiate that stuff at every level - especially considering the two companies are already intimately tied together over Spider Man.

Doesn't change the fact that Disney owns 100% of Spider-Man merchandise rights, which includes 100% of the video game rights. They bought that out from under Sony in 2011 and it was one of the most boneheaded decisions Sony ever made because now Disney makes $1.6 BILLION a year on Spider-Man licensing, which includes the merchandise. Sony produces a Spider-Man movie every two years and only one of those has made $1 billion so far.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I know they're not the same canon universe, but the timing of the marketing at least may overlap is all I'm saying.

Well the games are allowed to reference each other, such as Spider-Man saying the Avengers are on the West Coast. But when CD puts Spider-Man in Avengers in a couple of months it'll be their version and not Insomniac's.

Topher

Gold Member
Doesn't change the fact that Disney owns 100% of Spider-Man merchandise rights, which includes 100% of the video game rights. They bought that out from under Sony in 2011 and it was one of the most boneheaded decisions Sony ever made because now Disney makes $1.6 BILLION a year on Spider-Man licensing, which includes the merchandise. Sony produces a Spider-Man movie every two years and only one of those has made $1 billion so far.

Which means Disney owns 100% of Marvel video game merchandising rights. Toys, t-shirts, etc. Yeah....Disney owns that. What does that have to do with how Sony obtained the exclusivity deal for Spider-Man?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Which means Disney owns 100% of Marvel video game merchandising rights. Toys, t-shirts, etc. Yeah....Disney owns that. What does that have to do with how Sony obtained the exclusivity deal for Spider-Man?

Ted Price explained in the quote above. If you read it, Marvel Games asked him if Insomniac wanted to make a Marvel game and they could pick any character. They decided on Spider-Man but explored other characters before that.

And VIDEO GAMES ARE MERCHANDISE meaning Marvel owns the video game rights to Spider-Man and can put him in whatever game they want.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Last edited:

Kerotan

I agree with the principle, Bethesda games will be Xbox exclusives

But I have doubts in relation to Indy, it’s not obvious here. This is a licensed ip and the deal was signed before the acquisition, whether it’s exclusive or not will need to have been endorsed by Disney.
And Disney won't want to exclude the dominant platform. Xbox sales pale in comparison. The uncharted crowd is on PlayStation and tomb raider sells way more. Xbox sales won't do it justice and I doubt pc will pick up the slack.

Banjo64

cumsessed
And just like that, the PS division of GAF became video game contract experts overnight. I’ll always maintain that buying an Xbox will be more beneficial than the stress of the constant mental gymnastics and recurring 5 stages of grief some of you put yourselves through.

Topher

Gold Member
So Marvel had to go to Sony first and offer it.

Maybe. We really don't know how that all transpired though. Could be Sony threw it on the negotiating table while working out the deal for the movie Spider-Man to come to the MCU. Could be entirely unrelated. It is all speculation either way. I just thinking the timing of it all was strange.

And just like that, the PS division of GAF became video game contract experts overnight. I’ll always maintain that buying an Xbox will be more beneficial than the stress of the constant mental gymnastics and recurring 5 stages of grief some of you put yourselves through.

You can include the Xbox division just as easily since these speculative exclusivity debates go both ways. But I agree with you folks shouldn't stress about it. It is fun to talk about, but like you I just buy the hardware that has the games I want to play.

Last edited:

pratyush

I don't get why they didn't confirm it when they announced it. Lucasfilm was negotiating with Bethesda before their deal with Microsoft. So whatever has changed it must have changed recently because it makes no sense for Bethesda to negotiate for a exclusive game when they were 3rd party publisher.

This isn't same as Starfield as it was Bethesda original IP.

Microsoft really love to create unnecessary controversy. Sony has been guilty of the same but atleast it's mostly on its own platform. Just come say what is the exclusivity status on games. For Indiana Jones they need to as it has ambiguous status.

Top Bottom