• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US: Gamestop giving $50 extra trade credit for PS4, Xbox One, Wii U

Mystery

Traded in my launch PS4 for 150 a week ago. Seems like they reduced the credit they give before the "additional" "$50."

goddamn, OG XBONE is worthless.

My boss upgraded to ONE S and wants to sell me his old one for $50 (+ some games). Should I take it?

I don't get all the "rip off" comments in this particular case. Normally, yes, trading in is a ripoff.

But like... an OG PS4 with just a single controller sells for like AT MOST 220 dollars on eBay. Then you'll need to pay shipping ($15) and eBay + PayPal fees ($25 - $30 total). So you wind up getting like at most 10 more dollars in your pocket, less whatever you value your own time at.

Or you can just walk in, sell it instantly to them, and walk out with a Pro in one single stop. I think it's an easy decision for the duration of the promotion at least.

The real ripoff is BUYING a used console from Gamestop. Never do that.

People are just upset that gamestop is in the business of convenience and therefore doesn't offer top dollar for their trades. Yes you can go through the process of trying to sell it yourself but gamestop is there for instant credit or cash. Thats the whole point. Also I have bought a used system from gamestop before. They'll typically let you inspect the system if you ask and you can always return it if you want to. I got a white vita in near mint condition. It still had the screen protector on so clearly someone took care of it. On the other hand I got a completely shitty ds lite when they were selling them online for 10-15 dollars? Can't remember the exact price. I ended up returning it and it didn't cost me a penny.

Amagon

Just an fyi which I already see others echo in this thread. Make sure the Xbox One console is updated. Also, no need to factory reset the console. They will need your credentials anyway to log in to the console and they will factory wipe the system on the spot.

Unfortunate for me, I thought I had updated the console after the factory wipe, but it indicated in-store that it needed to be updated...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was going to trade in my wiiu that was in a box that was barely ever used.

I wiped the system and that bricked it completely. All that comes up now when turning on the console is a black screen with error code 160-0103

Worst console ever and now I can't even sell it. Swell.

Chumley

Banned
How can I keep P.T. if I switch to a pro? Also, are people still buying consoles with P.T on them for lots of money? I heard about that back when the game was first de-listed but figured it always must have been bullshit.

sensui-tomo

How can I keep P.T. if I switch to a pro? Also, are people still buying consoles with P.T on them for lots of money? I heard about that back when the game was first de-listed but figured it always must have been bullshit.

just back up your ps4 to an external hard drive and restore that on the ps4 pro, (note its going to take a while depending on how much shit you have on your hard drive but its better than redownloading stuff if you have a data cap)

Just took advantage with my WiiU. I almost let it go for much less before Black Friday. Glad I waited. Don't know what to do with the games I bought for the system, many of which are unopened.

thebigword

Neo Member
I'm thinking about trading in my original PS4, and I know they need all cords, but do they need that cheap mono headset that comes with it? Certainly they wouldn't need something that has supposedly stayed in someone's ear, right? Mine broke a long time ago, and I never bothered to get another one. I have everything else that comes with the system.

Icekeep9

Traded in my Wii U, games and Pro controllers and have easily enough for the Switch(rumor 250 price) and more (games, accessories). Hopefully, Nintendo doesn't screw me over with the virtual console and that there will be a great upgrade program.

The GameStop I went to didn't know about the promotion, but I showed it to them online on my phone. You lose 3 dollars off the controller trade in, if you don't have the charging cables with them. I had two cables of my three Pro controllers, so I was happy with all the in store credit I got. I never thought I would get this much money for my Wii U from launch.

I'm thinking about trading in my original PS4, and I know they need all cords, but do they need that cheap mono headset that comes with it? Certainly they wouldn't need something that has supposedly stayed in someone's ear, right? Mine broke a long time ago, and I never bothered to get another one. I have everything else that comes with the system.
You don't need the headset but you do need the controller USB cable.

causan

Im very tempted in trading in my loud ass launch ps4 for a pro. It sounds like a jet engine whenever I load up bloodborne, how loud is the pro by the way?

I may do this tomorrow if the value doesn't drop. PS4 Pro is full price but the PS4 launch I have now is only going to plummet in value, I don't see an easier way of getting $175 out of this thing

SpacLock

Man, I feel like I should trade in my Wii U too, but I just ordered Tropical Freeze, and I can't part with Mario Maker and 3D World. Ugh, such a great opportunity to get rid of it though...

Wagram

The trade in value for PS4/Wii U with the extra 50 bucks isn't terrible. I can't believe they only offer $75 for a base Xbox One though. That's a kick in the balls.

Vardhan

I would like to take advantage of this Wii U trade-in deal. I was hoping someone could answer my questions regarding the Nintendo Network ID:

1. I do not want my ID to be deleted forever because I am using the same one for my 3DS. Does Nintendo's instructions to remove a user from a Wii U mean the same as unlinking the NNID from the Wii U?

2. Does reformatting the system back to factory settings mean that the NNID is unlinked from the Wii U? I can continue using the same NNID on my 3DS?

Thanks

Chumley

Banned
As badly as I want to trade in my og PS4 for a Pro I just don't use it enough to justify it. I only ever use the thing for PS4 exclusives, TLG is the first time I'll be playing anything on it since Uncharted 4 and I don't even own a 4k TV yet. Maybe by the time Horizon rolls out.

pgharavi

Banned
Need a UHD player for my KS8000. Looks like trading in my XB1 Elite console + non-elite gamepad for $180 credit and waiting for the S to drop back down to $249 during xmas sales seems like the best way to do it.

GameStop gets a lot of hate here but I just went in and traded my WiiU and OG PS4 for a pro. I had an awesome experience. The two sales associates were extremely nice and knowledgeable. Seriously I feel bad for all the hate GameStop gets because every time I go in those guys are as nice as can be.

I hate to see my WiiU go but I never play it and I bought the refurb new for $225. So the $175 trade in was a no brainer. I traded in some games and pro controller too and along with the ps4 trade in I ended up walking out of there with a new PS4 pro and an extra $50 in store credit.

Thanks for pointing this deal out OP.

tommyguns

So I ended up trading in the Wii U last night. got 125+the 50 dollar gift card+22 for a game+15(?) for a controller+5 bucks as an extra trade in bonus thing.

So 217 all in all. I'll take it. Will be saving the credit to put towards the Switch!

How long does the trade-in credit last? Have a Wii U and some games I was planning on trading in for a switch.

Trade credit is good for forever. The only way you could "lose" it would be to lose or destroy the card they put it on. Even then I've heard that customer service can transfer it for you.

I would like to take advantage of this Wii U trade-in deal. I was hoping someone could answer my questions regarding the Nintendo Network ID:

1. I do not want my ID to be deleted forever because I am using the same one for my 3DS. Does Nintendo's instructions to remove a user from a Wii U mean the same as unlinking the NNID from the Wii U?

2. Does reformatting the system back to factory settings mean that the NNID is unlinked from the Wii U? I can continue using the same NNID on my 3DS?

Thanks

I've got you covered!

Your NNID exists on it's own, but it also gets tied to whatever hardware you're using it on. You can tie your NNID to one Wii-U console and one 3DS console at a time, so formatting your Wii-U will not affect your 3DS. If you ever buy a Wii-U again and want to play your purchased digital games, you would need Nintendo customer service to link your NNID to the new hardware.

If you live in the US, it's a bit like the license plate on your car. The plate is yours to keep, but the state registers it to your vehicle. If you sell your car you'll still have the plate, but if you buy a new car you'll need to register the plate to it. You can't just slap it on and call it a day.

As for Switch, we don't yet know how it will work, but all signs point to it using Nintendo Accounts rather than the NNID. This should mean that our login will not be "registered" to the console itself but rather exist on it's own. Even if Nintendo implemented the NNID system again, Switch would count as a new console that's unrelated to registering on Wii-U/3DS.

MastAndo

Would a quick wipe suffice for trading in a PS4, or is a full reinitialization recommended? I wanted to make the swap for a PS4 Pro tonight and I don't think I'll have 2 hours to wait for a full wipe and reinstall. I don't have anything on the system other than games and screenshots.

LogicStep

Man I'd like to get a Pro and trade mine in but I have a white destiny ps4. Dunno if I wanna get rid of it at least not for so little.

Man, I feel like I should trade in my Wii U too, but I just ordered Tropical Freeze, and I can't part with Mario Maker and 3D World. Ugh, such a great opportunity to get rid of it though...

Mario Maker is coming to Switch. 3D world OTOH....who knows. Maybe they re-release it as a Switch budget release?

GameStop gets a lot of hate here but I just went in and traded my WiiU and OG PS4 for a pro. I had an awesome experience. The two sales associates were extremely nice and knowledgeable. Seriously I feel bad for all the hate GameStop gets because every time I go in those guys are as nice as can be.

I hate to see my WiiU go but I never play it and I bought the refurb new for $225. So the $175 trade in was a no brainer. I traded in some games and pro controller too and along with the ps4 trade in I ended up walking out of there with a new PS4 pro and an extra $50 in store credit.

Thanks for pointing this deal out OP.

did you get 100 dollars (50 for each console) or just 50?

Jon

Just wanted to thank OP for bringing this to my attention. I mulled it over and jumped on it after work last night. Traded in my WiiU for $175, my PS4 for $175, and an extra controller for $25 - then I had a $25 gift card to Gamestop that I had laying around, and ended up getting a PS4 Pro for free.

Even the two GS employees who were ringing me up were surprised by this deal, and were unaware it existed until I came in and brought it to their attention.

Now I just have to wait for the Switch, and maybe take advantage of another trade in offer when it comes to the WiiU games, since they likely will not be backwards compatible in any way.

Sillution

I am 50/50 on getting rid of my Wii u or not... I never ever use it but I still havent played my copy of Bayo 2 or wonderful 101 yet... and I do want a switch... ahhhh so hard to decide...

I think I'm going to begrudgingly do this (trade my PS4 in toward a Pro for a stable TLG).

I've never done anything like this before; is this about what I need to do?

1. Back up my PS4 (don't want to lose PT!) to an external HD over USB.
2. Deactivate my PS4
3. Format PS4
4. Bring system, cables, controller to GS. Is anything else required? I have the box and all that, is that worth bringing?
5. Buy PS4 Pro for $225 ($125 trade-in value + $50 bonus).
6. Restore from external HD.
7. Enjoy TLG at 1080p/30!

I miss anything?

MastAndo

I think I'm going to begrudgingly do this (trade my PS4 in toward a Pro for a stable TLG).

2. Deactivate my PS4
3. Format PS4
4. Bring system, cables, controller to GS. Is anything else required? I have the box and all that, is that worth bringing?

I miss anything?

Same question here. Can the format be quick, or is full recommended?

2. Deactivate my PS4
3. Format PS4

I miss anything?

If I recall, you can only restore a PS4 external backup to the system that the backup was created from.

Edit:

Never mind. The restore should work to a new console.

Astral

Wow I'm actually considering this. I'm so tired of having to delete practically every game I'm not currently playing. 500 gb simply isn't enough. I'm also tired of my PS4 sounding like a jet engine every time I play FFXV.

Kill3r7

Might trade in my Wii U. I doubt I will get more for it. Will hold off for better trade in deals before trading in the games and extra controllers. It should be more than enough to purchase a Switch.

Top Bottom