• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US: Gamestop giving $50 extra trade credit for PS4, Xbox One, Wii U

Nope, the 32GB deluxe; but there was some scratching on the console. (Bought off a kid on Craigslist).

Yikes! So they hit you with a $45 refurb fee? I thought those were just a flat $15... I was going to trade my Wii-U in today but it also has some heavy scratching on the console. I guess I'll have to see what they offer me.

The GameStop I went to the guy didn't even check if the Wii U even turned on and mine had minor scratches too. It was probably because the store had just opened though.

Realeza

Banned
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go for it and trade the U. So all the downloaded shit I have there will be gone forever, right?

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go for it and trade the U. So all the downloaded shit I have there will be gone forever, right?

Nintendo's NNID system is ass-backwards, but it isn't as bad as it was on the Wii. Your purchase history is tied to your NNID, but your games are tied to the system. You can't just buy another Wii-U and log in and download your games, but a simple call to Nintendo Customer Service will get you moved over.

That is... if you ever decided to buy a Wii-U again for some reason. For any incentives they might offer on Switch based on old purchase, they most likely would require you to still have your Wii-U.

Hatty

Not if you remove your account very carefully
And if you get another Wii U you need to bother Nintendo to get the games licenses transferred

Yeah, a noble sacrifice though. Pray for Switch ports of WiiU games and be willing to take the hit for the VC upgrades. Might as well bite the bullet unless you're especially attached. Honestly I don't think history will view the WiiU the same way it did the TurboGrafx or Dreamcast - Rather more like the VirtualBoy and Jaguar. A few gems, but ultimately not worth it.

viveks86

Thanks a lot for this OP! Just upgraded my Ps4 to Pro. Threw in some really old game discs and got $190 back in total. Before I visited gamestop, I took out my SSD, reinstalled the original HDD and the OS (via USB). They didn't even check if it worked. Scanned it and applied the discount to the Pro purchase right away. Took 10 minutes total! :D

7roject28

Dang, I might go trade in the WiiU then. Mine's still in excellent condition no scratches because I did a full vinyl wrap on it when I got it. Don't have too many games on it. Xenoblade Chronicles X and Windwaker but those are digital. Too bad they're digital, I could have added $5 more bucks lol.

Gonna tell my brother to go trade in the PS4 too to a PRO.

neoemonk

There's a guy on my local Craigslist selling his Batman PS4 and Black Ops 3 for $130. He wants to trade for a 3DS XL as well.

I could buy it and take the $40...or maybe send him a message and let him know about the GameStop deal.

Nori Chan

fuuuuckkkkk I just sent my xbox one for repair for 125

i could've gotten an xbox one s for only 50 more dollars by giving my old ps4 away. I wonder if I could cancel the shipping

MrMephistoX

Uggh hate gamestop with a passion but eBay's turned into scam central and Facebook and Craigslist are full of hagglers...might take them up on this.

phant0m

Did it. Got $125 credit towards the Pro and a $50 GC. Prick wouldn't let me use the GC toward my purchase though, might return it tomorrow for refund + credit and then rebuy. Assholes.

Also saw they're selling used OG PS4s for $269, lol. Aren't new units w/ UC4 going for $250 now/? Even without, I'd rather buy a new slim for $299 then someone's tired OG for $30 less.

Did it. Got $125 credit towards the Pro and a $50 GC. Prick wouldn't let me use the GC toward my purchase though, might return it tomorrow for refund + credit and then rebuy. Assholes.

Also saw they're selling used OG PS4s for $269, lol. Aren't new units w/ UC4 going for $250 now/? Even without, I'd rather buy a new slim for $299 then someone's tired OG for $30 less.

He should have let u use the gc.
Actually u should not have bought the pro and come back tomorrow to buy it and use the gc. This trade deal is not based on trading towards a purchase. U can make the trade and keep the trade credit and the gc for later if u want

There's a guy on my local Craigslist selling his Batman PS4 and Black Ops 3 for $130. He wants to trade for a 3DS XL as well.

I could buy it and take the $40...or maybe send him a message and let him know about the GameStop deal.

Somehow i dont believe this is real. 130 for the batman ps4 is too fishy

I did trade and was able to use the gift cards. I would go back and make a fuss.

Hmm... I have an OG XB1 500gb in one room and the XB1S in my main room, but I mainly use the OG for streaming. I'm tempted to maybe get a OG PS4 to replace my OG XB1.

Anyone know what that price will drop to if the slim is 250? 200?

ryan299

MS just said starting the 11th theyre dropping systems by 50. Could get 180 for my 1tb then a new 1tb S for 299. Need to sell that extra controller and gears then.

nvm controller deal is only valid until the 10th.

I was able to use the gift cards. Just had to do a second transaction. If he took the trade and did the sale on the same transaction then yeah he wouldn't be able to use the GC because it wouldn't be active until the transaction was complete.

The Lamp

I have a PS4 with a 2TB HDD including PT + the old 500GB HDD.

How can I trade in my PS4 with the old HDD and keep PT and my content to transfer onto a new PS4Pro?

thebigword

Neo Member
So I ended up trading in my PS4, OG Xbox One, 4 PS4 controllers, 2 XboxOne/Elite controllers, a few games and it came to over $530 which I used to get a PS4 Pro, as well as newer PS4 controller.

Gotta say I was dreading going to Gamestop, from my experience with them many years ago and from what I read online, but I had a very pleasant, easy experience.

And, the PS4 Pro is sooo quiet compared to my launch PS4, that thing was loud.

I have a PS4 with a 2TB HDD including PT + the old 500GB HDD.

How can I trade in my PS4 with the old HDD and keep PT and my content to transfer onto a new PS4Pro?

you need another 1-2TB USB external hard drive, formatted FAT32. Back up your 2TB drive to it. You can back up everything, or just backup saves and PT and redownload the games. Obviously the former will take hours, the latter minutes. After you are done backing up, be sure to go into Settings / Playstation network / deactivate PS4
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...ion/how-to-deactivate-a-playstation-4-system/

Then install the 500GB drive back into the system, you will need to download the 4.06 firmware onto a USB drive and install it onto the 500GB drive. instructions are simple
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

Let it install, reboot, then go through setup but don't tie it back to your PSN account, just let it create local User1 so you can get to the dashboard (and insert a disc, etc). All done, go trade it in. When you bring home your new PS4 Pro, you can swap out the 1TB drive for your 2TB drive if you want (you will need to go through the firmware install again), then do a restore of your saves / games from your USB3 drive.

If you don't have a big enough USB3 drive you can back up to just a thumb drive you have laying around, but obviously be limited to the size of the drive. PT will fit easily anywhere, saves won't be that big either and if you have PS+ they are backed up on the cloud anyways.

The Lamp

you need another 1-2TB USB external hard drive, formatted FAT32. Back up your 2TB drive to it. You can back up everything, or just backup saves and PT and redownload the games. Obviously the former will take hours, the latter minutes. After you are done backing up, be sure to go into Settings / Playstation network / deactivate PS4
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...ion/how-to-deactivate-a-playstation-4-system/

Then install the 500GB drive back into the system, you will need to download the 4.06 firmware onto a USB drive and install it onto the 500GB drive. instructions are simple
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

Let it install, reboot, then go through setup but don't tie it back to your PSN account, just let it create local User1 so you can get to the dashboard (and insert a disc, etc). All done, go trade it in. When you bring home your new PS4 Pro, you can swap out the 1TB drive for your 2TB drive if you want (you will need to go through the firmware install again), then do a restore of your saves / games from your USB3 drive.

If you don't have a big enough USB3 drive you can back up to just a thumb drive you have laying around, but obviously be limited to the size of the drive. PT will fit easily anywhere, saves won't be that big either and if you have PS+ they are backed up on the cloud anyways.

Perfect. Thank you so much!

I have a 1tb hard drive in mine right now. Would I be able to put the 500 gig one back in/update it, trade that in, and then pop my 1tb into the pro with no issues? Or would I still have to do a back up?

MrMephistoX

So I ended up trading in my PS4, OG Xbox One, 4 PS4 controllers, 2 XboxOne/Elite controllers, a few games and it came to over $530 which I used to get a PS4 Pro, as well as newer PS4 controller.

Gotta say I was dreading going to Gamestop, from my experience with them many years ago and from what I read online, but I had a very pleasant, easy experience.

And, the PS4 Pro is sooo quiet compared to my launch PS4, that thing was loud.

Good to hear, I'm getting the PSVR for Xmas so might as well get the Pro now and download everything in advance. Probably the best deal I'll get on an OG Xbone with Scorpio on the horizon. Might as well just keep my Kinect unless they require that?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just be careful gamestop employees are told to try to tell you the system is not in good condition and they have to put a defective fee (around 20-30%)

If its dusty or has light scratches (which most launched ps4 has on the glossy part and the wii u )

Insist that these are light cosmetic scratches and dont let them take off money from the trade.

They tried that crap when I brought in my Wii U (had a bit of dust but otherwise it was perfect)

I told them nevermind I'll just sell it on Ebay.

They quickly changed their tune.

I have a 1tb hard drive in mine right now. Would I be able to put the 500 gig one back in/update it, trade that in, and then pop my 1tb into the pro with no issues? Or would I still have to do a back up?

you have to do a backup, ps4 encrypts drives so you cannot just take one from one ps4 and put it into a new one, it will reformat the drive.

xbox one does let you swap external usb3 drives though, so you can keep all your games on an external drive, swap in a new xbox one S, and all your games will work just fine once you setup / login.

you have to do a backup, ps4 encrypts drives so you cannot just take one from one ps4 and put it into a new one, it will reformat the drive.

xbox one does let you swap external usb3 drives though, so you can keep all your games on an external drive, swap in a new xbox one S, and all your games will work just fine once you setup / login.
Ahh I see. Thanks for the reply, I think I might head in tomorrow and do some trade ins

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Took advantage of this today. Traded in my WiiU, 6 WiiU games and my PS4 and got $449.50. So worth it.

thebigword

Neo Member
Good to hear, I'm getting the PSVR for Xmas so might as well get the Pro now and download everything in advance. Probably the best deal I'll get on an OG Xbone with Scorpio on the horizon. Might as well just keep my Kinect unless they require that?

Not sure about the Kinect, but I would think they wouldn't require it to get that extra 50 credit. All they need is the console, controller, and all cables. Don't take my word though since I never had a Kinect.

Hatty

Bit the bullet and brought in my Wii U. Was my first time trading in a console. Hopefully Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 get switch ports or I might actually regret this.

Fandangox

Bit the bullet and brought in my Wii U. Was my first time trading in a console. Hopefully Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 get switch ports or I might actually regret this.

Those two games are the main reason Im not doing this.

You are already dead.

Just traded in my Wii-U today! It was scratched on the top but the manager didn't seem to care. I got the full $175 with no issue! Won't complain as I think I bought it for $275 over three years ago.

Nimby

Banned
Got $255 for Wii U + Bayo 1/2 + Smash Bros. and a few old DS games I don't play anymore.

Bought Pokemon Sun and Apocalypse on 3DS, Hitman and Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4. Good shit.

SonicBoom

If I trade in my 500 GB Xbox One @ GameStop I'll get $125 in-store credit which is ok.

So now I'm wondering how much money can you get if I sell my 500 GB Xbox One on ebay after fees from paypal + ebay + shipping??

Would I get at least $150 paypal credit???

Nori Chan

PS4 you need the hdmi cable, the power cords, controller and charger...didn't know about the controller and charger

whatever doe

got a new controller for my xbox. The guy was gonna offer me the pink shadow one, but the deal is only for a black or white controller. Damn it lol

Top Bottom