• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Used market cost Heavy Rain 1m sales

Salsa

tzare said:
and who decides the value?
There's a way for that as far as i know: do not buy the game if you think it is not worth it. Or buy it when drops price because no one cares about it anymore.

or buy it used right

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I got Heavy Rain from the library.

Never would have bought it otherwise, kind of regret ever playing through it.

Salsa

Here's a question wich im expecting you guys could answer:

If you suddenly have the ending of Heavy Rain completely spoiled, would you still play it? do you really want to experience the QTEs beyond finding out what happens in the game?

that's how you know the "thing" (its hardly a game) its crap. The only thing it has going for it is novelty (wich on the flipside is a big step BACK on videogame storytelling), and curious people.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I loved Heavy Rain. Screw the haters.

I borrowed it from a friend :X

tzare

SalsaShark said:
or buy it used right
the problem is that used means nothing for the developer. I am against this. Once used means a % goes to them i am for it. It is really simple.

Jarmel said:
Holy shit with these comments. This is making a Mass Effect thread look enjoyable. Damn.
I'm actually serious, because there is a shitton of people that were satisfied by watching it on YT.

Zaptruder said:
Have you not bought any digital games at all? If not, then I can believe you, maybe.

If so... then you've kinda already stepped into it.

That's why I said, all digital. Spending 5 or 10 bucks on a digital game is one thing, but full priced new releases? Hell no.

If a 5 Euro game is trash, the loss of money isn't that haunting than losing 60 bucks on a suck ass game with no option of getting rid of it afterwards.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Is this kind of thinking that's gonna cause that every game next gen has some form of online pass or even a one use serial like PC games. The game industry has made it clear that they don't like used game sales so i expect more aggresive tactics going forward.

Shit was expensive for long as fuck. Haven't even bought because I forgot it due to price.

Sounds like BS, but they can blame themselves if so.

Salsa

Mailenstein said:
What about the people who played it on YouTube?

this is what im saying in my previous post

why the fuck would anyone get the game new at its full retail price if they have the experience spoiled for example? knowing that the gameplay is basically just a fucking OBSTACLE in between where you want to get. There's the reason for your used game sales you stupid Guillaume de Fondaumiereasjnjdsn

Gravijah

tzare said:
the problem is that used means nothing for the developer. I am against this. Once used means a % goes to them i am for it. It is really simple.

Man, if you hate developers getting screwed out of money so much, I don't see how you buy games at all with how publishers treat them.

Jarmel said:
Obviously this isn't the case in all cases however if somebody is paying $57.00 compared to $60.00 and they didn't have the choice to pay $57.00, I don't think they would care enough about a $5.00 difference to pirate. Compared to piracy where there is the full $60.00 difference.

You're talking about GameStop's practice of selling new releases (which have been returned to them already) as "used" for a few bucks less than the new games. That doesn't come close to referencing all used game sales. Used game sales are good for hardware publishers and ultimately good for game developers. I have explained why.

And for the record, while I think GS is a sleazy company, I also love the idea that someone out there is making money hand-over-fist by taking advantage of the game industry's inane, outdated business models.... while the industry does nothing about it but point fingers and lose studios.

Don't like that, devs and pubs? Reduce your budgets! Makes smaller games targeting smaller subsections of the consumer market so one "AAA" bomb doesn't wipe your studio out! Develop for other platforms that allow for lower dev costs! Go DD-only (if you can afford not to have the brick-and-mortar presence)! Play with your game pricing to encourage sales!

Or blubber and moan about how you can't smack gamers with a rolled-up newspaper like disobedient dogs every time they legally go for the cheaper copies of the exact same game.

johnnysix

Neo Member
This all amounts to a whole lot of crying over spilled milk.
A bunch of "if's". If my aunty had bollocks, she'd be my uncle.
Base you estimated sales on what you think you'll sell new. Base your budget on what you expect to sell new. Simple. If your game gets traded more than the standard, ask yourself why?
I buy a 2 hour movie on bluray for $20. It's got a bunch of extras on it i may never watch. I don't feel compelled sell it on ebay. Why? Probably because it cost $20.

SalsaShark said:

why the fuck would anyone get the game new at its full retail price if they have the experience spoiled for example? knowing that the gameplay is basically just a fucking OBSTACLE in between where you want to get. There's the reason for your used game sales you stupid Guillaume de Fondaumiereasjnjdsn
Yeah, pretty much.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
tzare said:

Used means that more people will get exposed to the IP, meaning they will buy into your next game more easily.

Videogames are the only market that bitches about secondhandsales. Porsche doesn't see jackshit from secondhand-sales, can someone please point me to an article where they complain about this?

Jarmel

Banned
Mailenstein said:
I'm actually serious, because there is a shitton of people that were satisfied by watching it on YT.
fiftyandfriends.gif

I knew the story was bad but man.

goonergaz

Couple of assumptions here:

1) I think his "complaint" is actually at the shops (like Game) that sell 2nd hand games next to new games.

2) His stats are based purely on PS3s connected to the PSN - there will be gamers that play the game and won't sync their trophies - I also suggest that of these more will be playing a 'used' copy.

I think he has a point if my assumption (1) is correct, it wouldn't be so bad if the trade-in values were any good, but often the trade-in is half what the shop sells it on for (and the person trading in could get by selling on) so money is being lost from buying new games in shops tills;

I trade game for £15 I could have sold on eBay for £25 = £10 less going into new games.

AshMcCool

It's so embarassing. 2nd-Hand buyers didn't paid a cent? They subsidized the 1st-hand buying. And what the fuck do they expect? That games get treaded differently than all other commercial products? I pay 50-60€ to OWN a game, not just to play it.

Dead Man

Clear said:
I fail to see anything wrong with the quoted comments.

For those people saying "he doesn't get it", I'd say to them: You don't understand the economics of the business. Bottom line is games are high-risk ventures, and if the return on investment isn't enticing enough to attract the money they will simply stop being made.

The thin end of the wedge is what we're seeing now, extreme risk aversion in publisher commissioning, making any title that isn't aimed at the bullseye of the mass market extremely hard to get funded. The thick-end is a situation where outside of massive franchises like Madden/Fifa/CoD/Halo etc. there is nothing else worthy of a retail release.
I'd say to you: He doesn't get it. The used market does not cause a lost sale ratio of 1:1. If he cannot project his revenue to account for his budget, that is no ones problem but his.

Metal Gear?! said:
Indeed.

neorej said:
Used means that more people will get exposed to the IP, meaning they will buy into your next game more easily.

Videogames are the only market that bitches about secondhandsales. Porsche doesn't see jackshit from secondhand-sales, can someone please point me to an article where they complain about this?

But but videogames are different. For every second hand game a developers kid is tortured and skinned alive.
That's how evil second hand buyers are.

As for your example: Porsche knows how much it can sell of a product and has no illusions about an evergrowing market which doesn't exist to begin with. Videogame publishers seem to have this mental illness that makes them believe that they can expand the market indefinetly.
And when sales don't match up with their lunacy, they blame the market instead of realizing their own fallacy.
In the end it just comes down to an extra monetization. And in videogames there is literally no shame as to how to suck out money out of customers. And thanks to a large portion of gamers not even caring about being ripped off this will only get worse in the coming years.

sure it was a really good game but i'm part of the problem he has, i just borrowed it from a friend, finished it on one weekend and returned it :p the game doesn't really have any replay value.

SmokyDave

johnnysix said:
This all amounts to a whole lot of crying over spilled milk.
A bunch of "if's". If my aunty had bollocks, she'd be my uncle.
Base you estimated sales on what you think you'll sell new. Base your budget on what you expect to sell new. Simple. If your game gets traded more than the standard, ask yourself why?
I buy a 2 hour movie on bluray for $20. It's got a bunch of extras on it i may never watch. I don't feel compelled sell it on ebay. Why? Probably because it cost $20.
BritGAF thread is this way, chap.

tzare

Gravijah said:
Man, if you hate developers getting screwed out of money so much, I don't see how you buy games at all with how publishers treat them.
hopefully digital releases will make things better for developers. But this is another problem, nothing to do with used sales. But good try to distract from the main point instead of discuss it.

the same could be said from piracy, but you know, if the game does not sell, no part 2 will be seen despite being exposed. Comparing a physical product like a car, that is arguably worst when used, as is a nespresso or a tv, with a game, that as far as i know plays exactly the same despite scratches on the disk or a torn manual is ridiculous.

Gravijah

tzare said:
hopefully digital releases will make things better for developers. But this is another problem, nothing to do with used sales. But good try to distract from the main point instead of discuss it.

Apologies, I'm just bitter and angry towards this entire industry. ;p

AshMcCool

Cleary, he doesn't understand the basics of economics: Restricting the resellability of a game would lessen its value. How would this be a good thing for anyone?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh boo freakin' hoo, that's what comes of games of this nature, even with the multiple endings the game is hardly the most appealing replay wise.

tzare

Gravijah said:
Apologies, I'm just bitter and angry towards this entire industry. ;p
my apologies too. I dislike how industry works too, but every problem needs its own fix instead of blaming the guy on your side :p

The problem is that second hand market has become too big unlike years ago that was something that was user to user. Now it is user- gamestop- user. It has become mainstream.

K' Dash

Jarmel said:
I'm going to play devil's advocate with this. By buying used games, you're encouraging the used sales market(in which the developer's don't get anything) while with piracy it doesn't benefit any sort of corporation.

when I buy used games I buy from people, they almost always offer better price than GameStop.

Noshino

boris feinbrand said:
That's why I said, all digital. Spending 5 or 10 bucks on a digital game is one thing, but full priced new releases? Hell no.

If a 5 Euro game is trash, the loss of money isn't that haunting than losing 60 bucks on a suck ass game with no option of getting rid of it afterwards.

Then be more careful with your money, research before you buy a game, after all, its 60 bucks.

SalsaShark said:

There are many people that are not bothered by spoilers.

Also, to many of us it was about the journey. I was spoiled the end of Fight Club, yet I still wanted to see how it got there.

AshMcCool said:
It's so embarassing. 2nd-Hand buyers didn't paid a cent? They subsidized the 1st-hand buying. And what the fuck do they expect? That games get treaded differently than all other commercial products? I pay 50-60€ to OWN a game, not just to play it.

uh, yes?

Games are NOT the same as other entertainment products.

Top Bottom