• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG24/7: 2 years in, the Xbox Series X/S still lacks even one killer exclusive

feynoob

Banned
Casuals usually don’t buy gaming PCs, they buy consoles to play COD. However, MS can put the game on xcloud and let you play it and save 400-500 dollars.
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Please someone take his phone away. I am dead here.
Dude said casuals don't buy pc for fps.

That is the funniest shit I have heard so far.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Vice versa.
But that doesn't mean xbox can't bring out other franchises.
The weakness of xbox, is lack of franchises. They didn't bring any new franchise aside of sea of theives. That is a big problem.
That’s just rude on Ori bro. I know Moon aren’t exclusive, but neither were Insomniac for decades.

tumblr_o0lim0fsUR1sg75a4o2_500.gif

MAtgS

I bought a Series S to be my Game Pass & Retroarch box while the PS5 is for the big boy premium games. I'm pretty contend with this arrangement.

feynoob

Banned
LOL, Quickest selling console generation they've ever had and the best brand image they've had since the early days of 360 = a "miserable state". The reality simply doesn't match your idea.
"Gamepass"

Take that, and Xbox would be in a shit state. And you know that.

NinjaBoiX

I’ll preface this post by saying I own both consoles, I’m keen to see exciting new games for both systems. That said…

I feel like Sony have definitely been more successful in terms of appealing to Joe Public with their output over the past year or so. To reference a recent thread on this forum, it’d be tough to argue that, as it stands, PS5 is definitely the hit machine out of the two.

But having said that, I feel like MS have some very compelling software waiting in the wings, they’ve just had a very slow start.

But I fire up my Series X more than my PS5 as things stand, because…
GAME PASS™

I think 2023 will be a very interesting year, but yeah, MS need to pull their finger out for sure.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Casuals play COD games casually. Even with the slight lag they won’t care as they are saving hundred of dollars. Cloud gaming is defiantly not this huge lagging experience as some people make it out to be here. Just look at some of the tech reviewers like Linus on YouTube for non bias review.
Not in my experience, the casuals who only buy CoD and FIFA, in my experienced, tend to be the angry bastards who scream and throw their pads when they get a hiding.

I don’t need to look at any reviewer for their opinion. I’ve got Virgin fibre with Ethernet cables and have been using cloud gaming since the PS Vita.

Fewer and fewer companies will be able to justify the risk of AAA games, as has been the trend for a while now. But I agree that sub services are a great lifeline for AA games, which is really the main reason I jumped on board with it.

Square isn’t a abandoning them, just focusing on a less is more approach with some outside investment

There’s room for both services but I wouldn’t call GamePass the best thing in gaming just because it’s cheap and has a lot of software

I’d personally rather buy top tier titles a few times a year than browse GamePass and get bored because nothing catches my attention for the vast majority of the content

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What kind of statement is that though. You can ignore all the positives of any product and what was left would be less than ideal, no?
The point is, if you pretend we live in an alternate reality where Gamepass never happened then Phil Spencer would be fired immediately. Checkmate.

Microsoft should've bought Respawn. They banged out TitanFall 2, Apex Legends and Jedi Fallen Order in a row.

and i'd probably have an Xbox exclusive TitanFall 3 on the way

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Starting next year, the new narrative will be: "These 1st party games are great and the future games look even better...but should Microsoft get credit for them? After all, they were all in development before Microsoft acquired these developers."
BOOK IT. That is the new narrative.
How is it a narrative if it's the truth? Those games were already planned to come out eventually by Bethesda when they were independent. Why should MS get all the credit for "turning things around" and finally releasing games in 2023?

They cancelled the PS5 versions. That's all they did. That's their only contribution.

feynoob

Banned
What kind of statement is that though. You can ignore all the positives of any product and what was left would be less than ideal, no?
Xbox currently is benefiting massively from gamepass coverage.
Xlive gold is being beaten like ragged garbage.
They left this year to bethesda, which delayed their 2 games for 2022.

If gamepass wasn't there, xbox would have a hard time dealing with all those negative news coverage.

I mean, they released the console with no game launch for 7 month.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hardly, if GP wasn't in the picture we have no idea what MS would have invested that time and effort into.
But if we lived in an alternate reality where Gamepass never happened, and MS conducted themselves with HONOR and only invested money from Xbox division only and never from their other divisions and never considered touching series that have history on Playstation then MS couldn't invest anything. Checkmate. Multiverse Phil is fired.

Square isn’t a abandoning them, just focusing on a less is more approach with some outside investment

There’s room for both services but I wouldn’t call GamePass the best thing in gaming just because it’s cheap and has a lot of software

I’d personally rather buy top tier titles a few times a year than browse GamePass and get bored because nothing catches my attention for the vast majority of the content
Everyone's tastes are different. A couple games a year would never do it for me. I can still buy the big games, and have GP, and have multiple systems. This gen is exciting for me because all 3 are approaching things differently, and they're doing things I'm interested in.

feynoob

Banned
How is it a narrative if it's the truth? Those games were already planned to come out eventually by Bethesda when they were independent. Why should MS get all the credit for "turning things around" and finally releasing games in 2023?

They cancelled the PS5 versions. That's all they did. That's their only contribution.
Same as how Sony is getting credit for those timed exclusives games.

GametimeUK

I think this year has been dreadful for Series in terms of exclusives and there's no denying it. Gamepass however is still great.

When I reflect on the generation so far I'd have to say Halo (single player) and Forza Horizon are at the peak along with Demon's Souls and Returnal on Sonys side. It's a shame Hivebusters doesn't have a standalone release, but I'd put that up there with Miles Morales. It may not be an exclusive, but Psychonauts 2 is also at the peak of the generation, there is no native PS5 version. Flight Sim is for sure a quality game too.

I dunno, man. I think Microsoft have put out some quality titles so far. It's a shame they haven't been able to keep up the pace.

Yes, I'd give the overall edge to Sony as it stands currently, but it isn't an overwhelming one sided beating like last gen.

EdGalTBR

Banned
2023 Xbox first part line-up will be very strong:

- Age of Empires 2.
- Age of Empires 4.
- Diablo 4.
- Forza Motorsport.
- Ghostwire Tokyo.
- Hellblade 2.
- Minecraft Legends.
- Redfall.
- Starfield.

DaGwaphics

^ Could never argue that the timelines were less than ideal. They simply started making the studio purchases too late to make a difference for Series at launch. Had to go with the "hopes and dreams" approach there, which I would think is why they announced so many of their projects as early on as they did. That's the hand they had, all they could do is try and make the most of that. Given the sales numbers it looks like they succeeded.

the exclusives are why xbox is even here to begin with
Yeah no shit. Early to mid gen 360 had mass effect, bioshock and alan wake as console exclusives for a while. Add in gears, project gotham racing and halo 3 and ms was on top of the gaming world.
Which is why they are on a spending spree these last few years, they want back what they lost. Exclusive games.

Last edited:
Xbox currently is benefiting massively from gamepass coverage.
Xlive gold is being beaten like ragged garbage.
They left this year to bethesda, which delayed their 2 games for 2022.

If gamepass wasn't there, xbox would have a hard time dealing with all those negative news coverage.

I mean, they released the console with no game launch for 7 month.
But Game Pass is there. Would be like saying if Sony didn't release AAA games then they wouldn't be in the position they are in.

Well, yeah... no shit.

Banjo64

cumsessed
2023 Xbox first part line-up will be very strong:

- Age of Empires 2.
- Age of Empires 4.
- Diablo 4.
- Forza Motorsport.
- Ghostwire Tokyo.
- Hellblade 2.
- Minecraft Legends.
- Redfall.
- Starfield.
I agree with the sentiment but it’s pathetic to include Diablo when the acquisition won’t have even closed in time for its release. It’s also presumptive to include Hellblade, however I hope it releases.

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft should've bought Respawn. They banged out TitanFall 2, Apex Legends and Jedi Fallen Order in a row.

and i'd probably have an Xbox exclusive TitanFall 3 on the way

They certainly would have been better off now had they started investing in their studios back then, that much is certain. When they did start adding studios it was a few years later than it should have.

because they stopped bringing quality exclusives later down the gen

because they stopped bringing quality exclusives during the 360 era previously and didnt have anything for the next gen. they had to rely on fucking insomniac and indies to carry their ass

the lack of exclusives is why they've been staying in third for 12 years. you're forgetting how much better the 360 sold than the ps3 during 2005-2010.
This of course is nonsense. The argument was they have no good exclusives. Whether they had lots of exclusives or few exclusives the results were the same. Exclusives have nothing to do with the success of the Xbox brand.

what bigger picture is there? all of the biggest 'games' Xbox has are nothing more than CG trailers, names and promises. the trolling will stop when the games come
It's like they didn't win publisher of the year LAST YEAR. People have such the short memories. Forza Horizon 5 won game of the year in several publications and was far from a CG trailer and it was a high quality exclusive on Xbox Series consoles. It's like the author of the article and many people here have no idea what is on Xbox but want to spout off anyway. It just goes to show that the concerns aren't even legitimate and it's just another opportunity to trash talk.

didn't buy an xbox for the exclusives. its just my main console. its for everything else. Playstation and Nintendo have become the niche exclusives machines for me. I just buy them to play the 2-3 games i want.

just like PC ppl dont build PC's for exclusives
I also echo this sentiment. Xbox offers a wider variety and better value than other platforms do. Even when they aren't releasing big first party games they are putting plenty of new games on Game pass regularly.

They have also lowered boundaries for gamers to get into the hobby as well broadening the audience for gaming. I'll enjoy the one off Sony title here and there and let it rest until the next while I put the majority of my time on the platform giving me plenty of new things to play for a fair price. As long as Xbox keeps bringing new games to play they'll be fine. It doesn't matter if it's a big single player exclusive or not.

LOL, Quickest selling console generation they've ever had and the best brand image they've had since the early days of 360 = a "miserable state". The reality simply doesn't match your idea.

As long as Forza/Halo/Gears have a player base that supports them, they will stick around.
Bless you for your continued logic and sound reasoning sir.

Topher

Gold Member
Imagine claiming Gran Turismo 7 as a great PlayStation exclusive while ignoring Forza Horizon 5 😂😂😂

The article didn't ignore Forza.

"The Xbox list has Forza, and Flight Sim – both utterly excellent – but that’s sort of it?"

And yet Xbox Series continues to track better than last generation and offers tons of great value and new games for their customers. It's almost like they don't rely on exclusives and more on services and value. Multiple ways to be successful in this industry.
Do any of your posts not shill for Microsoft?

feynoob

Banned
But Game Pass is there. Would be like saying if Sony didn't release AAA games then they wouldn't be in the position they are in.

Well, yeah... no shit.
Gamepass coverage is taking all the negative news about them.
7 month without exclusives? New Gamepass drops.
1 year after Halo infinite release without 1st party drop? Here are cool gamepass drops.

As long as positive gamepass coverage exist, people won't see how bad xbox is currently in term of exclusive drops.

You take that coverage, and you will how bad it is for xbox.

feynoob

Banned
So we are all pretending games like Gears , Halo, and forza horizon are all mediocre crap? Just feeling the room.
Look at what is dropped today.

You would always see article like these, when ever a company is having a great year.

Last year, while xbox was getting all those games, PS was getting its share for that year.

Just your typical clickbait articles.

Gamepass coverage is taking all the negative news about them.
7 month without exclusives? New Gamepass drops.
1 year after Halo infinite release without 1st party drop? Here are cool gamepass drops.

As long as positive gamepass coverage exist, people won't see how bad xbox is currently in term of exclusive drops.

You take that coverage, and you will how bad it is for xbox.
So you are saying that Game Pass is a good value and the driving factor behind their success.

Yes, we all know this. Unsure why you need to play this hypothetical game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's like they didn't win publisher of the year LAST YEAR. People have such the short memories. Forza Horizon 5 won game of the year in several publications and was far from a CG trailer and it was a high quality exclusive on Xbox Series consoles. It's like the author of the article and many people here have no idea what is on Xbox but want to spout off anyway. It just goes to show that the concerns aren't even legitimate and it's just another opportunity to trash talk.
LAST YEAR. LAST FUCKING YEAR. IT'S 2022 NOW.
God stop holding on to that publisher of the year thing. Last fucking year dude. LAST YEAR. Is your head stuck in 2021 or some shit? if they got publisher of the year this year as well, then we could talk (actually, we wouldn't because we wouldn't even be having this thread)
We're talking about all of their future games. What will come out in the future. Not what was relevant like 1 year ago. I've played Forza Horizon 5 for 20+ hours, i love that game. but fuck dude it was a while ago!!!

Last edited:

Thief1987

They don't want different experiences or variety. Just endless sequals or differently skinned games that are too similar.
Halo 6, Forza Motorsport 8, Gears of War 5, Forza Horizon 5, Crackdown 3. I agree, they only want countless sequels and nothing more.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I'll enjoy the one off Sony title here and there and let it rest until the next while I put the majority of my time on the platform giving me plenty of new things to play for a fair price. As long as Xbox keeps bringing new games to play they'll be fine. It doesn't matter if it's a big single player exclusive or not.
I've never seen you ever mention a game you're playing on Game Pass or anywhere. You just always repeat the same script. All your posts read the same.

Can anyone on GAF even find one post where DarkMage619 DarkMage619 is talking about a game he's playing? In a OT or something?

It's weird for someone that supposedly plays so many games 😒

Kataploom

Gold Member
While I agree with the premise, I think Game Pass alone is enough of a strong market proposal from MS if you ask me, I don't care about new games since I always have a lot wanting to play, the reason why I actually a Xbox console is to have a separate gaming device that is not my PC in which I can play Xbox 360 exclusive games and some console only games that are in Game Pass like Gears 2 and 3, and those are old games actually...

I was really contemplating finally upgrading from my one x to a series x just last week but when I really thought about what I would like to play, I realised there wasnt much and it isnt worth it yet. I'm only interested in flight Simulator and forza horizon 5. I'm still thinking about it. I doubt there'll be a price cut before starfield, so it makes no difference if I wait until then. Right now, emulation is the biggest selling point for me.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've never seen you ever mention a game you're playing on Game Pass or anywhere. You just always repeat the same script. All your posts read the same.

Can anyone on GAF even find one post where DarkMage619 DarkMage619 is talking about a game he's playing? In a OT or something?

It's weird for someone that supposedly plays so many games 😒
He's always playing his favorite game.

posting on here

feynoob

Banned
So you are saying that Game Pass is a good value and the driving factor behind their success.

Yes, we all know this. Unsure why you need to play this hypothetical game.
It shows how much gamepass is saving their brand. And why people are buying xbox right now. Without that, their console would have a hard time. That is what I was trying to tell DaGwaphics DaGwaphics

Top Bottom