• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: HELLBLADE 2 COULD BE XBOX’S MOST IMPORTANT EXCLUSIVE

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I think some of the Cross gen titles look right up there with anything on the current. I still think Doom Eternal has the best example of Raytracing in any current gen console game.
I think Hellblade 2 will set a new standard for charter modelling and animation and hoping for GOD style massive end of boss battles , story telling should be better but then that leads to my issues with the last GOW and Hellblade They felt more like a walking talking game rather than a high end action title.

I much rather the old style GOW games and also Ninja Theory action style seen in Enslaved myself
Doom Eternal best example of raytracing this gen? No way. As examples, Wake 2, Spidey 2, Cyberpunk easily top it. Clearly more, and better, calculations going on.

Character modeling? Senua may, but she also has to contest with Death Stranding 2, at the very least. Going to be a tough one. That considered, I thought she was the best character model of 2017, so maybe. But only her. The whole game may not receive that treatment, which will make it feel inconsistent.

As for the old vs the new — God of War needed the change.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You're missing the full price part, apparently...somehow.

Well then buy The Order 1886 on sale. People were killing the game mostly at the time. Not that it was full price. People were even mad that the have had letterboxing in it. But here we are............Hellblade 2 will also be letterboxed. The irony.

Ninja Theory had a weird approach to the development of that game: "Achieving AAA production levels with a small budget" they were open about their process; making devlogs talking about the challenges that they were facing and what solutions they were implementing to keep costs down.

RAD was being hyped as the next Naughty Dogs.

NO THEY WERE NOT! ND made Jak and Daxter, Uncharted and The Last of Us by time The Order came out.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Senua was made on a tiny budget and to help save the company.

I fully expect Senua to equal and surpass God Of War for graphics and storytelling. For me Fable is more of the next big exclusive and will show if XBox handle handle an update to a classic IP and also how it grew a studio internally after the buyout and the game that will be the graphical showcase for the Series X

Bro.......the gameplay in the modern God of War is some of the best in the industry. How you view it as only a graphics and storytelling thing is INSANE!

Do you think it's any percent possible that Hellblade 2 will have anything half as gameplay heavy as this?

TheTony316

This again? Wasn't Starfield supposed to be that game or Halo infinite before it? We get Xbox articles like this every single year since 2012 and nothing changes. Just let the game release and we'll see how it is.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought Starfield was.
Moving_goal.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
I agree with all this, however I do hope this is Ninja Theory’s Returnal moment. A small/mediocre team like Housemarque finally makes something great after proper funding. But I have my doubts. We’ll see.
When was Housemarque mediocre? Their games have great gameplay and are often technical showcases. Returnal was basically an expansion of all the things they do as opposed to some sort of reinvention.

Del_X

I don’t think this game will appeal to a wide enough audience. I’m 100% down for it but this game will likely eat up all my patience for slow walking and talking narrative “experience” types for the year.

When was Housemarque mediocre? Their games have great gameplay and are often technical showcases. Returnal was basically an expansion of all the things they do as opposed to some sort of reinvention.
That’s why I added “small”. Nothing they did was close to Returnal. It was a giant leap for them. Which I hope happens with Ninja Theory.

Crayon

Don't project a pattern of media building up the game to tear it down from this one article and one thread laughing at it. It's paranoid.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't know about that, but it is the game I am most hyped on the platform since Halo 3. It looks to be a proper AAA with technology and a narrative gameplay to back it up. If it turns out great I'll consider upgrading my GPU just to play it.

hinch7

Agreed, at least I doubt it will be anything this gen.

The only way to disrupt Sony in my opinion is to start next gen with such a bang that it may persuade people to get XBox over PlayStation. To do that they would have to announce early and have loads of must have games right out the gate with promise (with proof somehow as Microsoft's promises of games currently don't hold much weight) of many more games every year.

Of course the chances of them doing the above are slim, they are more likely to just keep doing what they are doing and hope people change.
Yep and it will take some really big exclusives at this point (not Hellblade). Plus new hardware to spur interest into Xbox WW.

I can see a few announced Xbox titles pushed back to next generation and maybe a 1-2 launch titles for it. Rumors that MS will jump start the next generation early. Which makes sense seeing as GTA VI is coming next year and they could have a console that's significantly more powerful than PS5 and refresh.. and have games ready/built for it well ahead of the curve. Will be a massive hill to climb though for MS and Xbox though.

For me, it's a matter of price at release. The Order 1886 came out at $60 for 5 hours of gameplay. Hellblade came out at $30 for about 10 hours of gameplay. Had The Order been a budget priced title, I think a lot of the blow back would have not happened.
This is unfortunately true, even I as big a fan of the game as I am, didn't pay full price for it.

If they had priced it more like Hellblade who knows and it's too bad they didn't.

Fabieter

They need to stop hype those exclusives and let them try meet some reasonable expectations and they might suprise us. It will be the next disappointments if we are doing it again.

Yea, let's not do this to yourselves, again, Xbox fans.

Let's also not pretend it was just the media hyping these games to no end. We have plenty of posts and threads in this forum that prove otherwise. The 1-2 punch of Redfall and GOTG, Starfield, (and I guess we can add in the Activision purchase) was supposed to be Xbox's big comeback. Instead it led to lower sales than last year and fire sales to get rid of excess HW.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s going to be a stunning game with mediocre gameplay, kinda like Microsoft’s version of Order, or Plague Tale. I love games like that, but it won’t being players to the platform.

Bro.......the gameplay in the modern God of War is some of the best in the industry. How you view it as only a graphics and storytelling thing is INSANE!

Do you think it's any percent possible that Hellblade 2 will have anything half as gameplay heavy as this?

I much rather the combat in the earllier od Of War games myself ..And I'm sure Hellblade 2 with have a battle with 1 enemy on screen *rollseyes*

Doom Eternal best example of raytracing this gen? No way. As examples, Wake 2, Spidey 2, Cyberpunk easily top it. Clearly more, and better, calculations going on.

Character modeling? Senua may, but she also has to contest with Death Stranding 2, at the very least. Going to be a tough one. That considered, I thought she was the best character model of 2017, so maybe. But only her. The whole game may not receive that treatment, which will make it feel inconsistent.

As for the old vs the new — God of War needed the change.
Im talking console gaming and for me Doom has the best ray trying I've seen in a console game. No seen much of Death Stranding 2 so that's open to question at the moment.

Orbital2060

How hard is it for Xbox/Xbox community to let the quality of a product speak for itself instead doing this incessant overhyping over and over?
The more you hype something the more critical people are going to be when it releases.
It's like they never learn.

Its an article on a website.

We just got done with Starfield and we're already on the next game of the Xbox Cycle™?

I can't wait for the 9,467 threads about it on GAF made by usual shills followed by tweets about record engagement, 8/10 reviews, and Steam at 66% positive a month later!
These cycles are more exciting than the games themselves.

You guys getting ready to review bomb another xbox game?

Bet you cant sleep at night out of sheer excitement.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Its an article on a website.

You guys getting ready to review bomb another xbox game?

Bet you cant sleep at night out of sheer excitement.
Guess what?
Most of Starfield hyping came from.... articles on websites!...
The rest came directly from Xbox/Bugthesda.

Top Bottom