• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Next Console releasing next year, details leaked

Tarin02543

Lcd first would be smart, power users have oled tv sets.

Why not aim for 2028 S2 with microled? That will be the hottest tech by then since Apple will have a microled watch and phone

zeldaring

Banned
Right that's my point. The Switch sells because of the games, not the portability.
Obviously it's sales cause if games but Japan vastly prefers portables compared to the rest of the world. Portability plus ninetndo has always done well in Japan. While Nintendo home consoles have seen some massive failures somethings that has never happened in Japan for handheld ninetndo device.

Last edited:
Well, i have to take the “L” for my thread thinking Switch 2 would release between Nov 2023 and June 2024. My apologies. I will own that.

My question though, is I have always assumed it may not be BC for any of the following reasons. My thread shows i have thought Switch 2 is NOT BC. Possibly for Cost & Tech, Business strategy, or something else. IF Switch 2 is not BC for whatever reason. How will you feel:

1.) About Switch 2? BC a deal breaker?

2.) About Nintendo and pushing digital purchases and a digital Nintendo future? Will you be angry?

Last edited:

Beechos

Well, i have to take the “L” for my thread thinking Switch 2 would release between Nov 2023 and June 2024. My apologies. I will own that.

My question though, is I have always assumed it may not be BC for any of the following reasons. My thread shows i have thought Switch 2 is NOT BC. Possibly for Cost & Tech, Business strategy, or something else. IF Switch 2 is not BC for whatever reason. How will you feel:

2.) About Nintendo and pushing digital purchases and a digital Nintendo future? Will you be angry?
1. I dont expect bc because I expect nintendo to re-release their popular games like smash, mario kart and zelda with all the dlc included with higher res/fps. The games with no dlc will be compilation releases with all the switch kirbys, mario, pikmin, etc. Kinda like a mario Allstars.

2. I doubt Nintendo has the infrastructure to handle any major online/digital future. Digital i feel is more important to Switch because who wants to carry/possible lose all the game cards.
They'll still have physical so old people can buy their grandkids games.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
This is so bad that it probably is true given we’re talking about Nintendo. Hopefully we’ll get 1080p when docked. Switch nowadays is unplayable on bigger screens.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Sound like Nintendo needs to offer a "Pro" Switch 2 with OLED screen and backwards compatibility with the Switch.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I love the amount of copium people are using to convince themselves it will be backwards compatibility with more and more evidence that will not.

hemo memo

Gold Member
lets see....

200w.gif

No one knows.....
this is a useless crystal ball then.

Ozzie666

Oh Nintendo, so close but yet so far, if these rumors are true. Potential to ruin any momentum earned through the Switch, the days of the Wii U aren't that far behind.

No OLED seems like a step back for those who don't use a TV, so the 2 SKU idea, even if slightly higher price would make sense.
100GB storage is laughable, to save costs. This is no time to be penny pinching Nintendo, strikes while it's hot.
The rumor of no backwards compatibility seems almost suicidal but also traditional at the same time. Depends on if there is a fracture in your digital library. How many times can Nintendo get away with such a move, whilst other consoles are carrying their libraries forward. If they plan on reselling everything again, there will be some negative responses for sure.
Won't be easy starting from scratch again, if that's the intention.

S0ULZB0URNE

Naw japan will gobble it up no matter what as long it's a handheld. WIIU WiILL never happen again as long as it's handheld.
Exactly mobile gaming rules Japan.

Hopefully Nintendo gives just as much attention to the base/home gaming part.

Last edited:

LRKD

Call it the Super Switch you cowards.
I thought they should've called the upgraded 3DS the "Super Nintendo 3DS" like SN3DS would've been perfect. Who thought "new 3ds" was a good title??????? I hope they have a 1000 more wii u name blunders just for messing that up.

Woopah

Exactly mobile gaming rules Japan.

Hopefully Nintendo gives just as much attention to the base/home gaming part.
I don't think there's too much to worry about there, as playing on TVs is also huge in Japan. Local multiplayer games like Smash and Mario Kart, and games you can't play handheld like Super Mario Party and Ring Fit, play a huge part in Switch's success in that country.

Nintendo knows that to be as successful with Switch 2 they need to offer both forms of play, both in the East and the West.

There's a reason the Lite is by far the least popular model, even though its the cheapest.

Last edited:

Grimsgrams

Neo Member
The article doesn't actually say anything about the storage except that it'll be increased. The 100GB figure is just a reference to the size of current-gen PlayStation and Xbox games.

Two sources VGC spoke to suggested that the console could launch with an LCD screen, instead of the more premium OLED, in order to bring down costs, especially considering the increased storage needed for higher fidelity games. The current Switch comes with just 32GB of internal memory, while many current-gen PlayStation and Xbox games are over 100GB.

daclynk

Oh NO! i was hoping H1 of 2025.All cos i want some dormant IPS to come to switch in a of remake or re release or Reboot and sequel on the Successor.

NahaNago

So for Metroid IV there's still a chance for the current Switch

dumb-and-dumber-jimcarrey.gif
So for Metroid IV there's still a chance for it to be a next gen switch game

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

:messenger_grinning_sweat: I'm sorry Metroid IV being a next gen title was the first thing that popped into mind when I saw the opening post.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

On another forum, it's funny to see Nate Drake trying to jump on the train with his usual "I knew it but was waiting for people to speak first" after taking countless Ls on this subject for 3 years, and seeing the cucks on their knees mouth open ready to receive his load.

This is so bad that it probably is true given we’re talking about Nintendo. Hopefully we’ll get 1080p when docked. Switch nowadays is unplayable on bigger screens.
i don't know what the hell i was doing for the last 3 hours then. i thought i was playing TOTK on my 55" 4K tv and having fun but maybe not...

what a silly thing to say lol. if the Switch 2 is still 720p in handheld i'll be happy and all they need to do is add DLSS so games can render at 900-1080p and upscale to 1800-2160p.

Woopah

Obviously it's sales cause if games but Japan vastly prefers portables compared to the rest of the world. Portability plus ninetndo has always done well in Japan. While Nintendo home consoles have seen some massive failures somethings that has never happened in Japan for handheld ninetndo device.
Right, but I think the important point is that Japan prefered those portables because of the games there, not because they could they could be taken on the go. If Nintendo put out a portable in Japan and it had a line up as weak as the Wii U, it would be a huge failure.

Or to put it another way, in recent years the UK has prefered consoles to portables. But that's because of the games available on those consoles, not because those systems can connect to a TV.

Last edited:

Hudo

they'd be dumb to ditch the brand or try anything whacky with the new console. all we need is a Switch 2.

it's nintendo so they'll probably not do the thing that makes most sense to everyone else.
I mean, they also thought that Wii U was a good name, trying to cash in the Wii branding. And that backfired. So I guess if they continue with the Switch name, they should make it clear that the new thing is really a new thing. Either by calling it straight up "Switch 2" or something similar to that effect.

Kenpachii

I mean, they also thought that Wii U was a good name, trying to cash in the Wii branding. And that backfired. So I guess if they continue with the Switch name, they should make it clear that the new thing is really a new thing. Either by calling it straight up "Switch 2" or something similar to that effect.

They will name it router this time.

Emedan

Since the new device in my opinion will use the same SOC architecture, only the form factor of the cartages would also need to be the same, I'm rather confident it's BC.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If the screen has higher pixel density... then I wish they'd take the next step with this portable setup and make a real VR headset to slip the screen inside.

You already have a light weight enough body, rotation / position detection, and detachable controllers out of the box. The LaboVR headset was a great proof of concept for a low-end VR solution, it just wasn't high enough pixel density... but higher resolution plus better lens design could help that, since the old one wasted almost half the screen space with how it handled lens distortion.

It wouldn't need to compete with Quest or anything on that level, but just serve as a cool add-on feature for a few neat VR experiences or bonus levels in their main series games. I want it.

tr1p1ex

b/c is all but certain. Switch was an outlier there for Nintendo because of change of silicon and form factor. Every previous Nintendo handheld had b/c. The Wii U and Wii had b/c.

that being said, perhaps nothing more overrated than b/c. at the cusp of every next generation, everyone always claims that b/c is super important.

But reality is people buy the new system for the new games as a rule of thumb.

blacktout

I love the amount of copium people are using to convince themselves it will be backwards compatibility with more and more evidence that will not.

... What? This article says nothing about the likelihood of BC either way. It literally says "backwards compatibility support for Switch games (physical and digital), remains unclear." You're taking "who the hell knows" as conclusive evidence of what you want to believe.

We haven't actually gotten any solid evidence about this subject at all, just speculation.

In fact, this article says almost nothing concrete. I guess it gives us a probable release window (late 2024) and that an LCD screen is more likely than an OLED, but otherwise this boils down to common sense stuff.

The price point and more personal style of the Switch made it perfect for a multiple console per family machine that I do wonder what upgrades it's going to have to sway parents over to get yet another one to play Mario and Fortnite.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
they'd be dumb to ditch the brand or try anything whacky with the new console. all we need is a Switch 2.

it's nintendo so they'll probably not do the thing that makes most sense to everyone else.
Exactly. And I'm not trying to be funny, you are entirely correct. We should come back to this post in the future, whatever it holds...

Last edited:
Top Bottom