• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vib Ribbon launches in North America as a PSone Classic tomorrow (EU next week)

Vib Ribbon is finally making its way to North America, and the major catalyst was all of you who wrote, posted, blogged, tweeted that you wished to see this game come back and wanted your voice to be heard by the suits. Well, it has.
#4theplayers

Never tried this game but I'll check it out. I hope it's as good as you all say.

mollipen

This gif has never been more appropriate than it is at this moment. Even though I've owned a copy of the Japanese release ever since it came out, a wrong that has existed for 15 years now has finally been righted.

god-is-real-gif.gif

Even as a PS1 game, it looks horrible.

This is the world. You are the worst.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If Vib ribbon was an indie announced tomorrow, it would be shit on left right and centre.

Even as a PS1 game, it looks horrible. It looks like it could of ran on the master system.
Oh, well see I've played it and it's a god damn blast and it has a great developer pedigree. I don't care how it looks. It's fun.

tehPete

Banned
This is a good day :) That said, I've still got my copy sat on my shelf, complete with the manual and poster :D

On a side note, does anyone else get nervous as feck when opening PS1 games nowadays? Those brittle cases... :/

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Freaking great. Give it to me.

Oh, well see I've played it and it's a god damn blast and it has a great developer pedigree. I don't care how it looks. It's fun.

But it looks indie.

As much as I hate to admit, the guy has a point. So many great ideas are dismissed by the Assassin's Creed-playing crowd just because they have budgets lower than US$ 20 mi.

If Vib ribbon was an indie announced tomorrow, it would be shit on left right and centre.

Even as a PS1 game, it looks horrible. It looks like it could of ran on the master system.
You are... completely missing the point. But you knew that by now.
This game is a poster child for Gameplay > absolutely everything else.

Which is fair enough. I dont deny there are plenty of people who will appreciate this game. The fact remains that this game is a passion project that hasnt got a chance of selling well, even by PS1 classic standards. I still commend shaun layden for pushing it through, obviously being aware of this.

You are... completely missing the point. But you knew that by now.
This game is a poster child for Gameplay > absolutely everything else.

No. You are missing the point. Its not about if you or anyone else likes the game. Im talking from the perspective that we have a newly crowned CEO of a division of Sony who is pushing though games not just based on sales or metacrtic scores but because he is passionate about it. That is a positive.

It doesn't matter what I think about the game, you guys are being so quick to try and defend it, you are missing the forest for the trees.

Amir0x

Banned
haha that's why he was mentioning Vib Ribbon a billion times during the conference? Ah, well, OK, I'll take it :p

Shin-Ra

I wouldn't hold my breath. It's just an emulator on PS3, and the PS3 can read CDs, while the Vita (and the PS4 for that matter) cannot read CDs. Would require reprogramming the game if they wanted MP3 support.
I thought this was clarified to be a (lack of) CD software player issue, not the BD drive.

Duster

The whole concept of being able to use your own CDs seems alien today, if it was a new game being released you'd probably be able to buy track packs as DLC.

Lo-Volt

Color me curious. I might give this a spin if Sony successfully ports this to the PS4. (Though, well, wouldn't the PS4 also need audio CD playback for this to work as intended? Give me that stability update.)

It's kind of pathetic that the PS4 doesn't run PS1 games yet.
This reminds me of the Vita situation after that system launched. We had to wait for PS1 support for a long time. Seemed like a long time, anyway.

Though they've never actually promised it for the PS4, so I'm less inclined to think its coming anytime soon. Unless its on Now or something.

randomkid

I don't know if this is just spin or what but it's kind of amazing how much stock Sony seems to put in twitter reactions. They're making it seem like it was the outpouring that got them to sort out the US release. Kinda like that "JRPG Vita" thing that got some crappy Tales game to come over based on a few hundred twitter votes.

In any case, very excited about this PSX Classic renaissance. Suikoden 2, you're up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The blog post says they have implemented a solution to play your CDs.

Read the OP.
That's for PS3, though. Users were talking about playing it on Vita, which seems like won't make use of MP3 support since that'd require some reprogramming (unless it reads the MP3s like a CD or something).

Top Bottom