• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vib Ribbon launches in North America as a PSone Classic tomorrow (EU next week)

New Vib Ribbon, New Twin Peaks. Anything is possible.

Best post!

This is great news because Vib Ribbon is a fantastic game with a great soundtrack. I think in terms of controls it holds up better than other Nana On Sha PS1 games. Unlike Lammy, this is perfectly playable on a HDTV.

A word of warning though: The original PS1 version DID NOT work with burnt CD's, so I doubt this will either. Actually come to think of it I haven't tried it out with burnt discs on my PS3, so I'll test that when I get home.

Novocaine

I'm glad it's coming out, but it's a shame it's just a PS1 classic and that they didn't polish it up a bit and add MP3/Music Unlimited support. I'm still going to grab it, and I might burn a couple of CDs too.

antibolo

Banned
A word of warning though: The original PS1 version DID NOT work with burnt CD's, so I doubt this will either. Actually come to think of it I haven't tried it out with burnt discs on my PS3, so I'll test that when I get home.

I'm 99.9% sure that was a hardware thing in the PS1, it rejected any CD-R as a piracy prevention. The PS3 can read CD-Rs just fine.

This is amazing. Loved this game. I really hope they figured out a way to get custom stuff on Vita though. Half the fun is plugging in new songs and seeing what it came up with. I really don't want to turn my PS3 on again lol.

I'm 99.9% sure that was a hardware thing in the PS1, it rejected any CD-R as a piracy prevention. The PS3 can read CD-Rs just fine.

That makes perfect sense. I knew the PS1 wouldn't play burnt discs, but didn't know they removed that restriction from the PS3.

I'll test it out tonight just to be sure!

Really curious how this will work on the Vita... On account of the Vita can't load CDs.

Overall though? If this is coming out as a Classic and they plan to bring it to the PS4? That could be a great sign for local emulation! Yeah!

soultron

Banned
Is this going to show up as a PS One game on VITA? Trying to find it now, might wait until later in the daytime.

Edit: I'm dumb it's in the thread title.

Spwn

I wonder how much the input lag that comes from the emulation hinders with the experience. Um Lammer Jammy is unplayable - at least on the Vita.

I wonder how much the input lag that comes from the emulation hinders with the experience. Um Lammer Jammy is unplayable - at least on the Vita.

Lammy is pretty bad on PS3 as well... but Vib Ribbon works totally fine! It must have less strict input windows.

The way the initial post is worded doesn't give me much hope for MP3 support or the ability to play anything other than the 6 included tracks on Vita. Still, this is awesome and if it portends the digital release of Mojib-Ribbon and Vib-Ripple? Hell yeah.

Looking forward to finally trying this! It looks and sounds somehow like a combination of Rez and KK Slider.

Speaking of Rez, maybe Sony can now work their music magic to get Rez HD on the PS3...

Konosuke

Looking forward to finally trying this! It looks and sounds somehow like a combination of Rez and KK Slider.

Speaking of Rez, maybe Sony can now work their music magic to get Rez HD on the PS3...

Rez HD is another great injustice. It should be a cross-play release! TxK is great on Vita, so it would be awesome too.

apricot

Excite!! I've never actually managed to play Vib Ribbon!

Given the inherent lag in PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3, playing this on the PSP / Vita is no doubt going to be the only real way to play.

But then you can't make levels out of your CDs, shidoshi!

I'm going to have latency issues with this on my Samsung LED I fear. Guitar Hero and Rock Band were unplayable without the calibration.

Agent X

Lammy is pretty bad on PS3 as well... but Vib Ribbon works totally fine! It must have less strict input windows.

That's good to know. Since you seem to be speaking from experience, are you referring to the disc version?

Also, for the North American release on PSN, is this going to be treated as an "import" from Japan or Europe? I'm wondering how they would account for the differences in both language and television systems, since the disc was never released here. Perhaps they can cobble together a "North American version" by combining portions of the Japanese and European versions. For example, use the Japanese game as a base, and insert the menus and other text in English (and perhaps other languages) from the European version.

Tizoc

BOOM SHAKALAKA!
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...sic)/cid=UP9000-NPUI00571_00-0000000000000001

EDI2: Ithas a Plus discount making it $4.79, if you don't get that price wait for the store to properly update
UhM1nJ5.png

micster

Gonna be a looong wait till it hits the EU store next week. Waiting on hearing how/if you can put custom music on the Vita version.

Wynnebeck

Banned
FUCK ALIEN ISOLATION.

FUCK NBA2K15.

FUCK DRIVECLUB.

FUCK SMASH BROS. 4.

FUCK SHADOW OF MORDOR.

THIS IS MY GAME OF OCTOBER.

AHHHHHHH!

That's good to know. Since you seem to be speaking from experience, are you referring to the disc version?

I have a PAL disc copy, and had no troubles with input lag despite Guitar Hero etc having real issues on my TV.

How's the game treating people?

Zim

Dumb question...
Any one else having to update your PS3 to 4.65 in order to play Vib Ribbon??
I was able to play other games and log onto the store. Just sucks all having to wait to play it while the update takes FOREVER. Sigh, first world problems.

Agent X

I have a PAL disc copy, and had no troubles with input lag despite Guitar Hero etc having real issues on my TV.

How's the game treating people?

I just got the game off of PSN today. The PlayStation boot screen shows "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe", so it seems to be based on the European release. Interestingly, the in-game manual looks like a European cover, but with the "NTSC U/C" designation instead of "PAL".

I only tried it for a few minutes, but just like you said, it's quite playable on PS3. I was making some mistakes later in my Bronze run, but I chalk that up to being new at the game, and getting a little confused as to when to push which button. I'm sure I'll improve with experience.

It looks nice and plays well on Vita, too.

It's a very small download, clocking in at a featherweight 27 MB, but the gameplay packs more of a punch than some games 100 times its size. Although the game is 14 years old, it feels fresh and appealing today. You'll be hard-pressed to play and not have a smile on your face.

Drago

Is there enough content to make it worthwhile on Vita? I'm worried about possible input lag playing on my PS3.
Not really... there's only 6 songs split into 3 stages that are there by default. They're great songs, and they are a lot of fun to play, but the main attraction is definitely making stages out of your CDs. You can play through all the default songs in about 15 to 20 minutes and then you're pretty much done with the game unless you wanna go for high scores. I don't think I can recommend this for $6 if you're only going to play it on Vita.

Thankfully, the game is somewhat lenient when it comes to accurately timed button presses. There's a nice range for you to press the buttons successfully. Input lag hasn't been a problem for me so far on PS3 (although I am usually pretty ignorant of input lag if I'm not actively looking for it, heh).

Not really... there's only 6 songs split into 3 stages that are there by default. They're great songs, and they are a lot of fun to play, but the main attraction is definitely making stages out of your CDs. You can play through all the default songs in about 15 to 20 minutes and then you're pretty much done with the game unless you wanna go for high scores. I don't think I can recommend this for $6 if you're only going to play it on Vita.

Thankfully, the game is somewhat lenient when it comes to accurately timed button presses. There's a nice range for you to press the buttons successfully. Input lag hasn't been a problem for me so far on PS3 (although I am usually pretty ignorant of input lag if I'm not actively looking for it, heh).

Rhythm Heaven Fever scared me straight. It wasn't anything I had even thought about until then. Holy shit that was rough.

I have a new TV, so I'll chance it on PS3. Worse comes to worst I can just transfer it over.

Top Bottom