• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Killed the Radio Star

I keep seeing people who suggest VR has failed and I think this is extremely premature thinking.

Arcades were absolutely huge for decades and then suddenly they weren't sustainable and the home console finally was able to provide experiences good enough that people didn't need to go to the arcades and with online gaming the social aspect of gaming changed completely.

Imagine saying Online Cafes are a failure because they didn't take off in the US.

Whether it by Super Mario Bros, Pokemon, Gran Turismo, Halo, or GTA3. Some games come along and they change the equation entirely.

That tells us that what's important is the real market environment, whether that be technology, price, culture e.t.c.

Gaming was almost dying on console until Mario and the NES came out. Pokemon completely revived the GameBoy. You couldn't find a racing experience like Gran Turismo on home console, you'd have to go to PC or Arcade, and even then Gran Turismo surpassed those with career modes before that the top franchise was NFS. Before Halo FPS was a joke on home consoles.

I'm confident that when the appropriate market conditions are set, VR will do just fine. I think GT7 is proof of that. I think if PSVR2 was 200 dollars and came with GT7 it would be doing VERY well.

I'm not sure what got people so fucking mad about VR but it happened very quickly. The when Sony threw their hat in it was fuel on that fire.
It reminds me of people who roll coal on priuses and teslas because they feel like their way of life is being threatened...

Crayon

VR killed my father.

chris-quits-reality-vr-chat.gif

Markio128

It’s stupid, because there’s no exclusivity with VR, so I don’t understand why some folk are so offended by its existence. I didn’t suddenly give up flat screen gaming when I got my headset. It’s just another string to the gaming bow and I personally love it. Owning the PSVR2 makes next weeks showcase all the more exciting tbh.

diffusionx

Gold Member
VR really is the only thing that feels next generation these days, amazing how much time is spent talking about slightly shinier reflections and slightly deeper shadows on the same games we played 10+ years ago while there is this massive new technology growing in leaps and bounds with devs having to try to work within a totally new framework.

Markio128

VR really is the only thing that feels next generation these days, amazing how much time is spent talking about slightly shinier reflections and slightly deeper shadows on the same games we played 10+ years ago while there is this massive new technology growing in leaps and bounds with devs having to try to work within a totally new framework.
Exactly. I’m currently playing Red Matter 2 at 120 fps (with crystal clear visuals) in VR and barely anybody is talking about it. And as good as recent games have been, nothing has blown my mind like VR games have this year.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Sony will not sell the kit at 200. Facebook killed it when they raised the price of the oculus.
price is the biggest barrier. The second biggest is lack of unified store.

Fbh

Sure but the whole "No one thought X product would ever go away until Y product appeared" can be used to defend any failing concept. You can release a multiplayer game to a middling reception and low sales and go "oh well but you don't know if it failed, remember Among Us wasn't very popular when it launched but 2 years later it became one of the biggest things in gaming !!".

I do hope VR succeeds because I agree with the post above that it feels like one of the few "next gen" things while IMO traditional gaming has basically been stuck in the Ps3 era for 15 years.
But VR seems to be in the dilema that it needs bigger and better games to become bigger but noone is willing to inves in that because the userbase simply isn't there.

I still think all the big VR makers should band together and make some sort of agreement to make their products cross compatible. Have some sort of unified features which allow you to use your Quest or Vive on a Ps5 and your PSVR2 (or 3 or whatever) on PC. Right now you have a niche market and you are further dividing it into smaller groups depending on which headset they have

Phase

Once it becomes a standalone thing I think it will take off.

Buy a VR headset of your choice, buy games for it, plug and play.

Sony will have to include it in the next box for it to take off. Whether that be the PS5 Pro or the PS6. Most gamers don't feel the need to buy an external accessory even if it's something as exciting as VR.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
VR is great, but it's never going to replace couch gaming. It's also never going to take off until we get more AAA content. Games like Half Life Alyx and Lone Echo were a start, but it's been years since we've gotten anything like that.

Markio128

VR is great, but it's never going to replace couch gaming. It's also never going to take off until we get more AAA content. Games like Half Life Alyx and Lone Echo were a start, but it's been years since we've gotten anything like that.
I haven’t played either of those games, but Red Matter 2 is seriously impressing me atm. If such a small team can make a game as good as this, then the future is looking very bright as far as I’m concerned.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I haven’t played either of those games, but Red Matter 2 is seriously impressing me atm. If such a small team can make a game as good as this, then the future is looking very bright as far as I’m concerned.
Love the Red Matter games. They are certainly not AAA games but they're very well done.

VR is great. But, the games aren't there. I'm so sick of VR experiences. We need more AAA games made for VR.

But, with the costs of AAA game development these days, almost no one is taking the risk until the install base is larger. And the install base isn't going to grow until there are games to give them a reason.

Markio128

VR is great. But, the games aren't there. I'm so sick of VR experiences. We need more AAA games made for VR.

But, with the costs of AAA game development these days, almost no one is taking the risk until the install base is larger. And the install base isn't going to grow until there are games to give them a reason.
But the games are there. Some of the highest rated PS5 games this year have been VR games; Pistol Whip, Moss 2, Tetris Connected - all proper games and not the experiences that you allude to. And that’s before we even mention RE Village, GT7 and the recently released Red Matter 2 - all highly praised. Considering the PSVR 2 was only released in February, there are plenty of great games to play already.

dave_d

I figure VR will take off once they figure out how to make the head set about the size of a pair of sunglasses. (Not even sure if that's possible though.)

Knightime_X

Call me when VR contact lenses happen fully for gaming.
I know it's already happening but not to the extent I'm looking for just yet.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I would agree that it’s the only thing left that can give you that “wow” factor. However, the hardware is simply not there for me yet.

When VR headsets are as lightweight as glasses, offer 240hz refresh panels at over 170 FOV, it will be incredible. But that’s not happening in the next 5 years.

Krathoon

The problem with VR is that the hardware keeps updating. It feels stupid to keep buying VR headsets.

Is PlayStation VR2 compatible with the old PlayStation VR1 games?

Krathoon

I got an Occulus Rift that I did not fully use. I need to hook it up and play around with Half Life Alyx.

One of the problems with VR is that they expected people to stand up and really move their bodies. Gamers don't do that.

Last edited:
VR is far too useful a technology to ‘fail” as such, the question is the degree to which the gaming industry engages with it. For driving / cockpit games in particular it is vastly superior to a conventional screen. I adore my PSVR1 and still have it hooked up to my PS5, but I’d love to upgrade. Maybe a Christmas present to myself (there’s always a chance it might be a touch cheaper by then).

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I keep seeing people who suggest VR has failed and I think this is extremely premature thinking.

Arcades were absolutely huge for decades and then suddenly they weren't sustainable and the home console finally was able to provide experiences good enough that people didn't need to go to the arcades and with online gaming the social aspect of gaming changed completely.

Imagine saying Online Cafes are a failure because they didn't take off in the US.

Whether it by Super Mario Bros, Pokemon, Gran Turismo, Halo, or GTA3. Some games come along and they change the equation entirely.

That tells us that what's important is the real market environment, whether that be technology, price, culture e.t.c.

Gaming was almost dying on console until Mario and the NES came out. Pokemon completely revived the GameBoy. You couldn't find a racing experience like Gran Turismo on home console, you'd have to go to PC or Arcade, and even then Gran Turismo surpassed those with career modes before that the top franchise was NFS. Before Halo FPS was a joke on home consoles.

I'm confident that when the appropriate market conditions are set, VR will do just fine. I think GT7 is proof of that. I think if PSVR2 was 200 dollars and came with GT7 it would be doing VERY well.
VR has failed. It might not fail some day with a future push, but in this current world people don't want it. No one worth making a thread about speaks for all time with such declarative statements, they speak for what has happened so far. So far, what has happened is that VR has failed to gain any significant market traction. You agree with that, so if I'm not mistaken, you're just saying there's still a chance. Which is fine, because products are still being released.

Krathoon

VR is far too useful a technology to ‘fail” as such, the question is the degree to which the gaming industry engages with it. For driving / cockpit games in particular it is vastly superior to a conventional screen. I adore my PSVR1 and still have it hooked up to my PS5, but I’d love to upgrade. Maybe a Christmas present to myself (there’s always a chance it might be a touch cheaper by then).
Oh. You can hook the PSVR1 to a PS5? Well, shit.

No one cares about VR, PSVR2 since launch I've seen maybe a dozen headsets, non for months now. even oculus hasn't been sending shipments for months

Source: work in a big box store

Is PlayStation VR2 compatible with the old PlayStation VR1 games?
Unfortunately not, although the creators of some of the 3rd-party games are releasing PSVR2 versions.
One of the problems with VR is that they expected people to stand up and really move their bodies. Gamers don't do that.
There is indeed some truth to this :D Personally I often game late at night in order to relax, so if I’m choosing a VR game then it’s going to be something seated. The VR missions from Ace Combat are still some of my all-time favourites. At the weekends I’ll play something more physical like Beat Saber.

Krathoon

You can, and it works great, but you need a special connector cable. Sony used to offer to send this for free to PSVR1 owners but I don’t know if that’s still the case.
It may be easier if I keep it on my PS4. I still have it hooked up and use it.

One advantage to doing that is that you can watch 3D Blu-Rays through your PSVR1 on a PS4 whereas you can’t on a PS5 (I’m hoping the disk release of Avatar 2 might encourage them to change that).

Another is that, whilst PS4 VR games mostly run very well on a PS5 (as well as they would on a PS4 Pro), a small number of them - such as Battlezone - become almost unplayable due to emulation inaccuracies.

Krathoon

I need to gather my PSVR games together. I got them scattered all over the apartment.

I need to put up a shelf in my computer room so I can gather my games.

dave_d

Another problem with PSVR on the PS5 is I think the dualsense isn't compatible. It's either move controllers or dualshock4. Oh, and I don't know if the breakout box supports 4k120hz.(Admittedly I have my psvr hooked up to my PS4 pro and my PSVR2 to my PS5 because why not?)

Wildebeest

People are waiting for the next thing as big as smartphones, not some boutique shit for rich nerds who can afford to kit out some dedicated VR room in their mansion.

winjer

Gold Member
VR has always been niche. It pops up every couple of decades, as new developments surface.
Then it loses the novelty effect and goes back to being niche.
Maybe a couple of decades from now, tech will be so much improved that VR might actually become mainstream.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Once it becomes a standalone thing I think it will take off.

Buy a VR headset of your choice, buy games for it, plug and play.

That’s literally the Quest.

Added bonus is it’s more affordable than other headsets, and wireless. It’s as mainstream as it’s going to get until prices fall further.

Last edited:

Tams

It’s stupid, because there’s no exclusivity with VR, so I don’t understand why some folk are so offended by its existence. I didn’t suddenly give up flat screen gaming when I got my headset. It’s just another string to the gaming bow and I personally love it. Owning the PSVR2 makes next weeks showcase all the more exciting tbh.

Like pretty much every argument on forums like this, it's because people want to be contrary and argue. Perhaps it's attention seeking, but I'm no fucking psycologist.

Now... You're opinion is wrong and you should feel bad about it! I don't know what you are wrong about, but you are wrong! And I'm right! And here's a wall of text to prove my point.

mighty boosh pee GIF

Krathoon

I remember when they had VR at the mall in the 80s. It was like that MTv video.

There was actually a Community episode that made fun of it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
VR is honestly the only thing that is capable of inducing that child-like wonder in me when playing a video game these days. It literally feels like re-discovering gaming all over again and even my brother can't help but to be amused by how giddy I am whenever I discover something new and exciting to play.

I dunno, maybe some people simply didn't have faith in the format and thought that it's gonna be just another stupid fad, but whenever someone proves them wrong they get pissy about it.

One thing is for sure - it's simply impossible to explain how amazing it is to someone who never experienced it for themselves. You just have to show them. Only then will they understand.

Krathoon

VR does make me a little sick. So there is that. It is one of those things you can't play for a real long time.

Top Bottom