• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

GHG

Gold Member

Not sure why it seems to be on a game by game basis but it's always better to get more features even when they take longer to get. Odd that Elden Ring might not get the patch initially.

ea03b0209c8ac3bb267ebfde23108d74d3be7cbb.png

Better luck next time.

Pedro Motta

Just tested it on several games, for now only PS5 game are supported, even if not on that list (at least I didn't find any PS4 game that works). Elden Ring works with VRR.

But as I already knew from my experience with the Series X, it's not a "game changer" it rarely smooths things out completely, it's only usable on that 55 to 60 fps range, any drops below that it's very noticible.

Bullshit acronym to that some users here probably because of Digital Foundry use to claim superiority when there is none. Give me stable framerates everytime.

Hope this isn't an excuse for Sony to get sloppy with the framerates.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Remember if you're on an LG OLED made in the last few years (idk about the sony ones) and you intend to use this feature you will now have to adjust every game individually to avoid black crush.

GHG

Gold Member
Just tested it on several games, for now only PS5 game are supported, even if not on that list (at least I didn't find any PS4 game that works). Elden Ring works with VRR.

But as I already knew from my experience with the Series X, it's not a "game changer" it rarely smooths things out completely, it's only usable on that 55 to 60 fps range, any drops below that it's very noticible.

Bullshit acronym to that some users here probably because of Digital Foundry use to claim superiority when there is none. Give me stable framerates everytime.

Thank GIF

I already stated this multiple times. If you're sensitive to framerate drops you will still notice them but it means you won't get judder and tearing associated with those drops without VRR.

It's a nice fallback to have where the devs have fucked up (particularly because on console you can't change the settings until you get a satisfactory result) but games locked to a target framerate is a far superior experience.

VRR gives option to unlock framerate. Smooth locked 60 fps game tends to be 80-90 fps most of the time.

You can use those extra frames and it feels much smoother than locked 60.

rofif

Banned
Remember if you're on an LG OLED made in the last few years (idk about the sony ones) and you intend to use this feature you will now have to adjust every game individually to avoid black crush.
Not black crush but black raise.
Everything lower than 120hz, have brighter near black gamma as I've noticed. So even 60hz playing I think!
Interested to test vrr when I get home.

LG People - remember to mash green button 8 times. It will show you current HZ

Last edited:

Venuspower

This goes for all other VRR- capable displays as well.

€: And yea, as the previous comment states correctly, it is a raised black problem.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
VRR gives option to unlock framerate. Smooth locked 60 fps game tends to be 80-90 fps most of the time.

You can use those extra frames and it feels much smoother than locked 60.

Citation needed.

What percentage of games are we talking about here on console when you say that?

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Not black crush but black raise.
Everything lower than 120hz, have brighter near black gamma as I've noticed. So even 60hz playing I think!
Interested to test vrr when I get home.

LG People - remember to mash green button 8 times. It will show you current HZ
You wouldn't happen to know how to show the current HZ on a sony tv because I have no idea.

Citation needed.

What percentage of games are we talking about here on console when you say that?

On Series S, Guardians of the Galaxy drops a few settings, and give a unlocked frame rate option that hovers in 40-50 fps range.

Feels way smoother than locked 30.

If frame rate is not high enough, a few settings, minor resolution drops can be had to give perceptible boost to frame rate by unlocking it. No need to stick to 30/60 fps settings where each jumps results in severe loss to image quality.

VRR gives a good way to make use of all horse power you have available.

GHG

Gold Member
On Series S, Guardians of the Galaxy drops a few settings, and give a unlocked frame rate option that hovers in 40-50 fps range.

If frame rate is not high enough, a few settings, minor resolution drops can be had to give perceptible boost to frame rate by unlocking it. No need to stick to 30/60 fps settings where each jumps results in severe loss to image quality.

You said 80-90 fps but give me an example of a game that even with VRR hovers very much in the sub 60fps range?

SLB1904

Banned
Their own 3d audio is kinda bad
What you based this on? Feelings?
It's the best there is. What you on about? I'm playing gran turismo driving the brz gt300 I can hear the gurgles of the exhaust perfectly accurate positioned on the left lower side of the car, I thought the car had 2 exhaust pipe and I assume the sound was wrong to be blown by the accuracy of the sound. I have dolby on my pc and it doesn't sound nowhere near the ps5 sounds, I'm I doing something wrong? Don't know. But is not even on the same level of 3d accuracy and I use the same headphones on both my pc and ps5.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

This is a shit option. Miles Morales does this and you can feel it fluctuate between 40 fps and 60fps and it's a bit jarring to notice it change smoothness all the time. I prefer to keep it either 40 fps or 60 fps locked.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's the best there is. What you on about? I'm playing gran turismo driving the brx gt500 I can hear the gurgles of the exhaust perfectly accurate positioned on the left lower side of the car, I thought the car had 2 exhaust pipe and I assume the sound was wrong to be blown by the accuracy of the sound. I have dolby on my pc and it doesn't sound nowhere near the ps5 sounds, I'm I doing something wrong? Don't know. But is not even on the same level of 3d accuracy and I use the same headphones on both my pc and ps5.
Yes 3d audio works well but I wouldn't compare it to a pc audio because windows is notoriously bad with sounds.Maybe comparing it to dolby on Xbox would be a better comparison.
No idea, sorry
No problem it was just in case you happenned to know.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thank GIF

I already stated this multiple times. If you're sensitive to framerate drops you will still notice them but it means you won't get judder and tearing associated with those drops without VRR.

It's a nice fallback to have where the devs have fucked up (particularly because on console you can't change the settings until you get a satisfactory result) but games locked to a target framerate is a far superior experience.

I wouldn't call it a fix for when a developer f**** up, rather I look at it like a game that's almost all the way there but has a few minor performance hitches, VRR irons those out for a smoother user experience.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Thank GIF

So generations of console players dealing with 30FPS games but now VRR is not good? But we could play between 40-60 fps with a smooth experience.

Of course it's good.

Bramble

Just tried it on Elden Ring.
VRR works in the 48-120 fps range on my TV.
So far no glitches and the fast camera rotations appear to be smoother.
When I come back from work I'll try other games.

Wait, is the update already being rolled out for some of you?

Elios83

Wait, is the update already being rolled out for some of you?
Yes it's not a firmware update.
You just need to completely turn off the console, turn on the TV and then the PS5 and it appears under the video options.

As a side note PS5 is recognized by my TV as a FreeSynch device using VRR and I can also see the frame rate in real-time within the source info box.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Shit, now I deffo need to unplug my PS VR but i don't wanna right now lol

Installing PS5 version of Elden Bling!

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
It's the best there is. What you on about? I'm playing gran turismo driving the brx gt500 I can hear the gurgles of the exhaust perfectly accurate positioned on the left lower side of the car, I thought the car had 2 exhaust pipe and I assume the sound was wrong to be blown by the accuracy of the sound. I have dolby on my pc and it doesn't sound nowhere near the ps5 sounds, I'm I doing something wrong? Don't know. But is not even on the same level of 3d accuracy and I use the same headphones on both my pc and ps5.

To get the most out of Dolby atmos you need a multi speaker setup, including overheads. Headphones won't cut it.

It opens up possibilities to get those 80-90 fps'es.

Good luck with that.

So generations of console players dealing with 30FPS games but now VRR is not good? But we could play between 40-60 fps with a smooth experience.

Of course it's good.

A framerate that moves around between 40-60fps is not "smooth".

I wouldn't call it a fix for when a developer f**** up, rather I look at it like a game that's almost all the way there but has a few minor performance hitches, VRR irons those out for a smoother user experience.

The instances where its been most talked about here are where the developer has fucked up and the game fundamentally fails to hold it's target framerate. If the game holds its target framerate but there are just a couple of instances where it drops below that in hours of footage then it's going to be a non-issue, even for those without VRR.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
To get the most out of Dolby atmos you need a multi speaker setup, including overheads. Headphones won't cut it.

Good luck with that.

The instances where its been most talked about here are where the developer has fucked up and the game fundamentally fails to hold it's target framerate. If the game holds its target framerate but there are just a couple of instances where it drops below that in hours of footage then it's going to be a non-issue, even for those without VRR.

But it is with VRR that is the entire point of the technology :/

If it's working right it will be smooth.

jorgejjvr

It's the best there is. What you on about? I'm playing gran turismo driving the brz gt300 I can hear the gurgles of the exhaust perfectly accurate positioned on the left lower side of the car, I thought the car had 2 exhaust pipe and I assume the sound was wrong to be blown by the accuracy of the sound. I have dolby on my pc and it doesn't sound nowhere near the ps5 sounds, I'm I doing something wrong? Don't know. But is not even on the same level of 3d accuracy and I use the same headphones on both my pc and ps5.
I base it on turning 3d on putting their pulse 3d and sounding bad. But maybe i havent played the 1-2 games that apperantly really showcase it

In shooters i have to turn it off as it messes with footsteps, but on horizon forbidden west doesnt sound much better

Bramble

restart your console, it should be there.

Yes it's not a firmware update.
You just need to completely turn off the console, turn on the TV and then the PS5 and it appears under the video options.

As a side note PS5 is recognized by my TV as a FreeSynch device using VRR and I can also see the frame rate in real-time within the source info box.

I just tried but it's not showing up for me.

Bramble

Good luck with that.

But it isn't dolby atmos. It's Sony's own audio solution and it sounds pretty great to me. Horizon, Ghost and all those other games really sound like sounds can come from everywhere around you and above and beyond. What headset do you use?

Bramble

I base it on turning 3d on putting their pulse 3d and sounding bad. But maybe i havent played the 1-2 games that apperantly really showcase it

In shooters i have to turn it off as it messes with footsteps, but on horizon forbidden west doesnt sound much better

Personally I am not impressed by the Pulse 3D at all, but this sounds like something is wrong. All PS5 games sound great to me.

If they patch Horizon FW so there is a mode between 30fps and 60fps I'll probably go back and get a few more trophies as the IQ is shite in 60fps and I really struggle to enjoy action games at 30fps.

4k checkerboarding like the first would be better than the 1800p (with obvious DRS) checkerboarding and VRR would hopefully make it playable if it stays in VRR range. There may not be enough headroom I guess but fingers crossed.

FrankWza

My bro, it's not the recording that matters, it's the mixing. Like there are good and bad implementations of HDR there are good and bad implementations of Atmos.
Either way, there’s no game made or developed in atmos like there are with Tempest. Same with Dolby vision in games. For now it’s just “supported” and not native to any games. Dolby vision is in a hdr container and atmos is done post.

Top Bottom