• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

It will have the same latency yes. You unfortunately run into the vsync ceiling at that point. It’s why on pc you cap your frame rate 2-3 fps below the refresh rate ceiling so you don’t run into vsync added latency.

58 fps at 60 hz vrr has lower latency than 60 fps at 60 hz.

Never knew that. It does seem a bit odd to me that it works like that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Most of ps5 games have solid framrate, so far I haven't experience nothing game changer tbh, other than insomniac games with obvious bump in framerate, but again I don't play everything

Tales of Arise's resolution mode is notoriously bad at being anywhere close to 60, that's why I used that specific example. That's the kind of game where VRR implementation can make an extremely notable difference.

SLB1904

Banned
Tales of Arise's resolution mode is notoriously bad at being anywhere close to 60, that's why I used that specific example. That's the kind of game where VRR implementation can make an extremely notable difference.

Yeah I don't have this game. Glad to hear test makes the experience better. Glad I hold off on it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I’ve been playing with VRR now on the PS5 and my 3090 ti PC. Sony X900H TV. PS5 seems to make it easy to set and see the results.

PC, I’m not so sure. I have the Gsync compatible display open in the Nvidia control panel. I have the output set to 4k/120 Hz as setting for Windows. The Gsync options on for using the display capabilities.

I thought I should now be turning vsync off. Limit FPS to 120. Should all work VRR, but I’m seeing tearing still in games like Hot Wheels. Should I still be running vsync on? What about the gsync setting for full screen only vs. full screen an windowed? I presume this a full screen only technology.

Looking for info/how to data seems hard to find. Curious for proper recommendation. I think an LG OLED 83” is in my future sooner than later…

Sony TVs don't support Gsync, only standard HDMI VRR (which is also the only solution the PS5 supports). So unless your GPU can do that, it's not gonna work.

Filben

Saying that Bloodborne would run better on Xbox because of its VRR implementation
Which John instantly rebukes and says that this is an (engine) issue that can't be solved by VRR.
I’m just curious if a VRR title at 60FPS will have the same response time as a vsynced title at 60FPS.
It shouldn't because the GPU don't have to wait, so it's gonna be less response time. V-Sync shouldn't engage in that scenario.

That being said this is how it is on PC and I'm very sensitive to response times and input delay. And V-Sync 60fps has definitely more response time than 60fps VRR.

I have mentioned this before but Spyro Reignited Trilogy on Xbox Series X runs (in my experience) silky-smooth with 120 Hz forced, not because of VRR I am told (even though that is enabled in the system settings) but because forcing the game to run at 120 Hz reduces the bad framepacing issues the game has. This same game still runs with noticeable framepacing stutters on PS5. I played the game for several hours across multiple worlds and levels on both consoles to test this.

Based on that, I would say that if the PS5 could force all games, including PS4 ones, to display at 120 Hz then there's a good chance that the framepacing issues in that game would also be similarly reduced in the same way as Spyro Reignited Trilogy on Xbox Series X. Not sure I would want to play Bloodborne now though as the image quality, all those jaggies and shimmering, are more annoying than the bad framepacing in my opinion!!! At this point, the best we can hope for is a proper remastered game like the excellent Demon's Soul on PS5.

Jesus. A few pages ago Bugaga told us that the Implementation of VRR is not good on PS5. But he hasn'teven a capable TV to test It for himself. What a 🤡
76d790943-mr-bean-too-easy.gif

Last edited:

yamaci17

PC, I’m not so sure. I have the Gsync compatible display open in the Nvidia control panel. I have the output set to 4k/120 Hz as setting for Windows. The Gsync options on for using the display capabilities.

I thought I should now be turning vsync off. Limit FPS to 120. Should all work VRR, but I’m seeing tearing still in games like Hot Wheels. Should I still be running vsync on? What about the gsync setting for full screen only vs. full screen an windowed? I presume this a full screen only technology.

Looking for info/how to data seems hard to find. Curious for proper recommendation. I think an LG OLED 83” is in my future sooner than later…

three options

1) set your screen to 4k 144 hz instead of 120 hz. 144 hz container + 120 fps limit will make sure that you won't see any tear

2) enable vsync but you get the dreaded input lag from time to time randomly if vsync engages (and if you see tears, then it means it will engage often)

3) if you don't have the capability to set the screen to 144 hz, then set your framerate limit to 115 (for a safe measure). you should see minimal amount of tearing. if you still see them consistently, set a more aggresive limit at 110 frames

second option is the more surefire way to get rid of tears. i'm not a fan of it. i'm mostly a fan of 1st option. if the 1st option is not available, third option is valid as well

and make sure to tick this box;

gG9t4ei.png

yamaci17

It will have the same latency yes. You unfortunately run into the vsync ceiling at that point. It’s why on pc you cap your frame rate 2-3 fps below the refresh rate ceiling so you don’t run into vsync added latency.

i'll do some tests regarding this one

i also feel like it gets heavier but i have to be sure. some games may behave differently.

yamaci17

yes i can confirm. this also confirmed my suspicions.

vrr (60 hz container)+vsync

19h7CFl.png

vrr (60 hz container)+ vsync + 58 fps limit

LH0gFGH.png

same test but for RDR 2;

kcliDs3.png

nbryPxs.png

so yes, frame limiting works. but I don't know whether console devs would account for this or not. currently what I'm seeing, 60 fps games runs on full 60 fps at 60 hz even with VRR enabled. but again, some people think this is a PC specific problem. I can neither confirm or test since I don't have a console. and since you cannot manually put the framerate to 58, i think this question will never be answered.

unless someone makes a input lag comparison @58 fps + 60 hz container vrr versus 60 fps+60 hz container vrr on console.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

yes i can confirm. this also confirmed my suspicions.

vrr (60 hz container)+vsync

19h7CFl.png

vrr (60 hz container)+ vsync + 58 fps limit

LH0gFGH.png

same test but for RDR 2;

kcliDs3.png

nbryPxs.png

so yes, frame limiting works. but I don't know whether console devs would account for this or not. currently what I'm seeing, 60 fps games runs on full 60 fps at 60 hz even with VRR enabled. but again, some people think this is a PC specific problem. I can neither confirm or test since I don't have a console. and since you cannot manually put the framerate to 58, i think this question will never be answered.

unless someone makes a input lag comparison @58 fps + 60 hz container vrr versus 60 fps+60 hz container vrr on console.
Hopefully going forward we will have 120 hz support along with vrr. Most games have a hard time holding 120 fps anyway which has less latency vsync penalty than 60 hz.

Consoles do have the same issue though. Street fighter 5 famously has close to 100 ms of latency on ps4 being a 60 fps at 60 hz vsync title. On pc you can reduce it to like 30 ish milliseconds by using 120 hz.

Rossy1103

Neo Member
I've read different takes regarding VRR on X90J. Some say flickering, others say they get vertical banding, but the general consensus seems to be that overall VRR makes the games looks worse, specially because local dimming gets turned off.

I'm gonna receive my TV later today and try it out on the next couple of days too.
We're you able to try out vrr on your x90j? Whenever I turn on the enhanced format (vrr), I get alot more blur as well as ghosting when moving my camera.

Poplin

Which TV do you own? Based on that information look up how to setup vrr on your Ps5. It is different for some tvs.

Example my TV I had to go into my settings, change the input to vrr, unplug my hdmi and reset my ps5.
LG C1. its not plug and play?

Shmunter

We're you able to try out vrr on your x90j? Whenever I turn on the enhanced format (vrr), I get alot more blur as well as ghosting when moving my camera.
Check if it's the case in 60hz and 120hz. For me at least, my TCL is unusable in 60hz with inverse ghosting when vrr is engaged. 120hz VRR seems to clear it up. But of course there is more 60hz content than 120hz on PS5 so the feature is practically useless on my TV unless Sony does a system wide 120hz mode - wouldn't hold my breath.

Surprisingly, local dimming, gamma and black levels are completely fine with VRR on the TCL c825.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Tried vrr on astro playroom and it works as a native supported game.
It's still 60 and nothing changed. No 120hz.

I am a bit disappointed as I would've hoped they finally fixed the game screen "shaing,vibrating,jittering" butI think it's their weird anti aliasing solution.
On any level, even in hub(not in pause menus) you can observe that the whole screen is vibrating slightly. I sit really close to my tv so I can see that clearly. A bit of a bummer once you notice it.
But still - Astro was a religious experience the day I got my ps5. Amazing game !

adamsapple

Honestky, unless the game has been specifically patched its best to treat the games as unsupported

I think we've confirmed from multiple sources that the VRR just does not work blanket on BC games at all.

Which is a weird omission.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think we've confirmed from multiple sources that the VRR just does not work blanket on BC games at all.

Which is a weird omission.
How is it weird?

Most BC games are locked to 30 (various vsync adaptations) by those devs. Thus it would not work regardless, no matter the display device since the majority don't go that low on VRR, or VRR itself.

The unlocked to 60 (PS5 patch, but not native PS5 app) are rock solid on the PS5 and it's not needed. Only way it would benefit, is if they unlocked the 60 which I don't think many will do at this point. They are focusing on new game development.

How is it weird?

Most BC games are locked to 30 (various vsync adaptations) by those devs. Thus it would not work regardless, no matter the display device since the majority don't go that low on VRR, or VRR itself.

The unlocked to 60 (PS5 patch, but not native PS5 app) are rock solid on the PS5 and it's not needed. Only way it would benefit, is if they unlocked the 60 which I don't think many will do at this point. They are focusing on new game development.
Yeah except there are plenty of PS4 games that are unlocked and even a few that are 120Hz like Rocket League and Modern Warfare and those don't work either.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah except there are plenty of PS4 games that are unlocked and even a few that are 120Hz like Rocket League and Modern Warfare and those don't work either.
RL is going to be getting a native app eventually. Bet. Not to mentioned it's rock solid in both modes on the PS5. I personally still play at 60 with that game, due to it looking better with the HDR.

I don't know if any unlocked PS4 games that don't cap. Well one, Livelock and that was tear city cause of it. Most of the common games all had some type of vsync to prevent tearing.

adamsapple

How is it weird?

Weird in the sense that they went and added VRR after such a long time, I'd have imagined just enabling it on BC stuff would also be a flip of the toggle.

They already have that notification on the system wide toggle that goes like "hey if this don't work, just turn this shit off".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Weird in the sense that they went and added VRR after such a long time, I'd have imagined just enabling it on BC stuff would also be a flip of the toggle.

They already have that notification on the system wide toggle that goes like "hey if this don't work, just turn this shit off".
You read nothing I wrote. Got it.

omegasc

PS5 has little to no trouble brute forcing unlocked framerate PS4 games to 60. A handful of games lose a frame here and there. Lots of games would need a patch, but many devs big and small didn't even bother creating PS5 patches for their PS4 games and would not spend resources for VRR which is even more niche stuff. Maybe Sony asked devs and got negative responses. Both have limited resources. It's not that weird.

adamsapple

You read nothing I wrote. Got it.

No, I have. There are still drops in some BC games, of course not the first party ones but all games aren't locked.

Besides, just having the feature optionally there, where it already works on other games, shouldn't have been a big ask.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, I have. There are still drops in some BC games, of course not the first party ones but all games aren't locked.

Besides, just having the feature optionally there, where it already works on other games, shouldn't have been a big ask.
Give me a list of these 60fps PS4 games that still drop on the PS5 to where VRR is sorely needed.
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

adamsapple

Tell them to make a damned PS5 native like the rest of the F2P have been doing.

Fortnite says, plebs.

There have been rumors about a native WZ app since the beginning of the year but I can't find any recent info and/or any rumored release windows. With the new CoD being revealed soon, might be a part of that reveal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There have been rumors about a native WZ app since the beginning of the year but I can't find any recent info and/or any rumored release windows. With the new CoD being revealed soon, might be a part of that reveal.
We know they're coming. Same for Rocket League, and thankfully so.

Annoying how you have to go into the PS5 or XSX settings and disable 120Hz so one can play the game at 60Hz with HDR. Native app should alleviate that within the game menu itself.

Last edited:

omegasc

Until Dawn also has some drops, but the performance seems to be so much better than PS4 that nobody cares about those rare occurrences.
Still, a handful of games don't justify the effort.

edit: yesterday I was browsing the games installed on my SSD and bumped into FF XV. I never got to do the DLC, waiting for a PS5 patch. Bastards.

Last edited:
Something I wanted to talk about without having to make a new thread for it:

1. What does it necessarily mean when a game is patched to support VRR? Does it just mean it was tested and deemed good enough for VRR?

2. Currently, there's no way to get LFC support on a 60fps game because 48-60 is too small of a window to keep VRR active, but there's a really easy work around for this. All they would have to do is set the actual refresh rate of the display to 120Hz, but then simply cap the frame rate to 60fps. VRR would make the game run at 60Hz and if the frame rate went all the way down to 45fps for example, the display could switch to 90Hz to compensate without falling out of the VRR range. It would still look and act like a 60fps game, except it would have LFC support. Not all games have to be completely unlocked like Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank's 120Hz mode.

Like for example, we know that Resident Evil Village got a VRR patch, but it still runs at 60fps. How do we know if it truly has a 60Hz ceiling or if it has a 120Hz ceiling with a 60fps frame limiter on it? RE:Village has the potential to drop down as low as 45fps with ray tracing enabled and if the game has a 60Hz ceiling, it will fall out of the VRR range and stutter, but if they designed it to run in a 120Hz container, then it could go down to 45fps no problem and LFC would kick in.

I just checked and RE:Village is indeed running with a 60Hz ceiling, meaning it's not running in 120Hz mode with a 60fps frame limiter. So unfortunately it doesn't have LFC support.

Last edited:

Shwing

Just to clarify, it doesn't happen constantly, but there is definitely regular texture flicker. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't notice it, unfortunately for me my image sensors are too sensitive - lol!
The fact that it also happens on 2 different HDMI ports using 2 completely different machines indicates that it's the TV firmware at fault. Note that I say firmware, as I've no doubt an update will put a tweak in place that will sort issue.
As previously mentioned though, outside of the current VRR firmware, the TV is stunning. The wife even commented the other day that the picture looked 3D to her, it was that good. (I know what she meant - bless ;) )
I have a 65 inch Sony XR65X90-J, and as much as I love the set., I did Disable VRR due to the unbelievable anount of flicker. The set defo needs another update to eliminate this. Other than that, tv is great.

Top Bottom