• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
about time GIF

bp3G5PG.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Weird that they need to patch the games for VRR instead of it being system-wide like on PC.
As an added option, you can also choose to apply VRR to PS5 games that don’t support it. This feature may improve video quality for some games. If this results in any unexpected visual effects, you can turn off this option at any time. Please note that results may vary depending on the TV you’re using, the game you’re playing, and the visual mode you’ve selected for a particular game (if it supports multiple modes). For more details on VRR settings, check out this page: https://www.playstation.com/support/hardware/ps5-4k-resolution-guide.

Gamerguy84

I know about the pros as it's been mentioned a lot. I've heard a couple people talk about cons but can't remember what they were.

Was it something with OLED? I have a TV HDMI 2.1 VRR set but it's not oled. Any other cons worth mentioning?

GHG

Weird that they need to patch the games for VRR instead of it being system-wide like on PC.

You have full autonomy of settings on PC (things like vsync, framerate limiters, etc), on consoles you don't.

Well, now I am further confused why games are getting patched. Don't understand how it matters at all if a game supports it or not. The game is still going to do whatever framerate it can and the system should be coordinating with TV to match framerate.

See above. Certain settings being enabled/disabled will make VRR suboptimal.

Last edited:
Well, now I am further confused why games are getting patched. Don't understand how it matters at all if a game supports it or not. The game is still going to do whatever framerate it can and the system should be coordinating with TV to match framerate.
Maybe it has to do with how games handle VSync? Plenty of games have tearing on Xbox Series but not on PS5, could be related to this, people without VRR sets (most people) would still need VSync.

Last edited:
It is possible that by "support" they mean unlock the framerate so that for instance, if the game was locked 60fps they got rid of the cap so it can fluctuate higher.

Tons of games that could benefit won't until their framerate is unlocked.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What’s weird about it? You need unlocked frame rates to take advantage of VRR. Most games on consoles have locked frame rates. You need to patch that out to unlock it.

No, it also benefits games which don't hit 60 FPS and are within a devices VRR range (Typically 45~60hz for 60 FPS games).

And finally, a feature announced for around launch in Nov 2020 finally getting patched in.

Here it is:
Nah, 1440p output just doesn't have the same pull to it, sound like something that a PS4 Pro owner would be asking for.

Like it was mentioned before, it really needs to be an acronym so that people have too look it up on google.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No, it also benefits games which don't hit 60 FPS and are within a devices VRR range (Typically 45~60hz for 60 FPS games).

And finally, a feature announced for around launch in Nov 2020 finally getting patched in.
I get that but most games are well optimized that they stay at 60 fps consistently and there are benefits to unlocking games that would be at 60. Those games are usually coded headroom to get fps between 70 - 80. You need HDMI 2.1 for that though..

kyliethicc

VRR never mattered anyway, all I care about is Dobly Vision and Atmos.
Now we just need Atmos support and it’ll be perfect.
There we go lol

Do LG users enable VRR or AMD freesync premium option ?
VRR
PS5™ consoles support VRR through HDMI 2.1. Other display standards such as NVIDIA G-SYNC® and AMD FreeSync™ are not supported.

4K is pointless when you're forced to play games at 30fps
lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom