• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wonder why they won't be supporting freesync or if they'll update it to include it.

Eitherway Samsung will probably cock something up like they did for 4k 120hz support for the ps5 lol.

I think that might require a hardware revision, I may be wrong.

But they didn't include it in the PS4 Pro even after massive fan demand, now that they already have one form of VRR, I doubt they'll put Freesync in PS5s.

Mr Moose

But they didn't include it in the PS4 Pro even after massive fan demand, now that they already have one form of VRR, I doubt they'll put Freesync in PS5s.
Do their TVs support FreeSync? If not, that'll be why.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
6du6rt.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

RafterXL

What specifically is not the case in thier post?
All of it. Nothing he claims is reality.

It might be with the recent updates but it wasn't at launch from what I remember, I believe 1.03 improved things on Series consoles including loading times.
It's 100% the case now. The PS4 version on the PS5 and the Xbox Series version have interchangeable load times. They're virtually identical and the PS4 has NEVER been three times faster as people like Captain Shill claim. Hell, the PS5 version still takes 6-7 seconds to load, which would mean the PS4 version would have to be even faster to do that and it's not.

Mr Moose

All of it. Nothing he claims is reality.

It's 100% the case now. The PS4 version on the PS5 and the Xbox Series version have interchangeable load times. They're virtually identical and the PS4 has NEVER been three times faster as people like Captain Shill claim. Hell, the PS5 version still takes 6-7 seconds to load, which would mean the PS4 version would have to be even faster to do that and it's not.
The games loading is pretty weird, you can load the same area a few times and it could show different results (PS5 version) or at least that's what it was like with 1.03, I'll need to try some loading in 1.04.

FUBARx89

AMD components in the system so I'd imagine it won't be a hardware issue.

Do their TVs support FreeSync? If not, that'll be why.

I'd imagine this fella is right though, which is a shame but eh. I've lived without VRR for yrs, would be nice to have but am not buying another TV 😂

Mr Moose

AMD components in the system so I'd imagine it won't be a hardware issue.

I'd imagine this fella is right though, which is a shame but eh. I've lived without VRR for yrs, would be nice to have but am not buying another TV 😂
Yeah it fucking sucks, I have a 165Hz FreeSync monitor :messenger_crying: My TV kinda died this year (using it for audio now lol) so I need a new one but I don't want to sell my kidneys.

DaGwaphics

On the contrary, we can stop pretending it's better than a more stable framerate in the first place, and not just a crutch for devs that 'close enough' is 'good enough'

To each their own, I think it's a great feature even if the fps is a locked 60, because even then the frametime isn't necessarily perfect. Hopefully, all TVs will support the feature soon enough and PC monitors so that vsync is a thing of the past. Plus, without rigid frame locks, we might see most games getting automatic fps boosts when newer hardware arrives, never a bad thing.

Riky

$MSFT

Great news, it's nice that as per my screenshot in the Spiderman thread, Sony clearly agree with me and detail the benefits in image quality, performance and latency, they took their time but they've done it, so happy more people can benefit.
More modes for better experiences and fixing what developers miss, all those people who argued against it proven wrong by Sony implementing this feature.
To the mods who gave me my tag and constantly thread banned me because it was easier to silence one person than deal with the trolls arguing against better experiences for gamers, maybe you should be the ones with a bit of self reflection.
I'll wait for the update to see the results in the flesh but happy and vindicated once again.
Enjoy everyone.

Why it wasn't there at launch and took over 18 months since launch is just ridiculous.
But finally it's here and the 5% of people with VRR capable TVs will rejoice.

Non of the specs are required, it’s such a mess and people don’t really know that
I wish more people understood this. HDMI Forum majorly screwed up the spec and requirements for manufacturers by not mandating certain speeds and features. QMS still isn’t a thing even though it’s based on VRR, mainly because it screws up the algorithms TVs use for FALD, HDR, etc (which is why FALD is disabled on LED TVs).

There’s a reality where HDR was standardized with minimum specs and dynamic metadata, where HDMI 2.1 was feature complete day 1 and you could go buy a TV without compromises and stupid amounts of research, but we got the bad timeline.

Get an LG? No DTS passthrough for movies and aggressive ABL. Samsung? No DV and poor OOTB accuracy. Sony? You’ll get 50% of features 1-2 years after release and you’ll like it.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I wish more people understood this. HDMI Forum majorly screwed up the spec and requirements for manufacturers by not mandating certain speeds and features. QMS still isn’t a thing even though it’s based on VRR, mainly because it screws up the algorithms TVs use for FALD, HDR, etc (which is why FALD is disabled on LED TVs).

There’s a reality where HDR was standardized with minimum specs and dynamic metadata, where HDMI 2.1 was feature complete day 1 and you could go buy a TV without compromises and stupid amounts of research, but we got the bad timeline.

Get an LG? No DTS passthrough for movies and aggressive ABL. Samsung? No DV and poor OOTB accuracy. Sony? You’ll get 50% of features 1-2 years after release and you’ll like it.
you can turn off that ABL real simple just buy a $3 service remote

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Great news, it's nice that as per my screenshot in the Spiderman thread, Sony clearly agree with me and detail the benefits in image quality, performance and latency, they took their time but they've done it, so happy more people can benefit.
More modes for better experiences and fixing what developers miss, all those people who argued against it proven wrong by Sony implementing this feature.
To the mods who gave me my tag and constantly thread banned me because it was easier to silence one person than deal with the trolls arguing against better experiences for gamers, maybe you should be the ones with a bit of self reflection.
I'll wait for the update to see the results in the flesh but happy and vindicated once again.
Enjoy everyone.

Exactly, this is why I paid all this money at the start of this gen. I wanted developers to have the flexibility to use VRR to improve their artistic vision. Now thanks to Sony unlocking this we have the best skilled developers in insomniac given an extended toolset to improve resolution, effects and overall settings to deliver a higher quality experience thanks to VRR and 120hz TV displays.

Can't wait to fire up spiderman this week. Gonna be sick. Gives me more time to celebrate insomniac.

So happy about this news, sure it's a little late but it's finally here. GG Sony! Now I can play my Elden Ring playstation run with the ps5 version.

Last edited:
Games needs VRR patch? Why? On Xbox, its automatically supported on system level? Once PS5 gets firmware update, all games should automatically support right?

Is It another case of half assed implementation by Sony where devs need to put in work for VRR instead of Sony implementing at System level?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just thought, shit.....I'm gonna have to yank out my PS VR and I haven't really used it since I got my adapter. Might have to wrap up some astro bot before it's retired. Damn.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Games needs VRR patch? Why? On Xbox, its automatically supported on system level? Once PS5 gets firmware update, all games should automatically support right?

Is It another case of half assed implementation by Sony where devs need to put in work for VRR instead of Sony implementing at System level?
it is available at system level too but they can’t guarantee that it will be glitchless for every game. hence the main plan to patch the games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom