• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanting to try a CRPG...

I'm tired of doing Baal runs in Diablo and was thinking about trying either fallout or Baldur's Gate. I didn't notice either in the free PC game section, but which one should I go with, and if I like it is the sequel worth the time?

Slo

I heavily recommend Planescape Torment. It's only about 40 hours, so you should try it before those two. :)

Seriously, there's no losing picking either one. I'd go with Baldur's Gate, but hell, Fallout's just as good.

Planescape: Torment's GREAT too.

OK, I've always wanted to get into Planescape also. If I have to start with one though, which one. I've never played a CRPG (outside Diablo 2, which I understand is quite different) so which one will be the easiest to pick up and learn? Also anyone know the best place to get said games cheap? Right now there's an ebay auction for fallout 1 & 2 for like $10, so I'm sure that's the best spot.

Thanks for all the help to this point.

I'd say Fallout or Planescape's the easiest to pick up, because Baldur's Gate is heavily doused in D&D rules, Planescape not so much. Fallout's relatively simple in comparison.

Slo

It depends on whether or not your want a change in atmosphere from Diablo or not. I like Planescape the best, but you may be sick of the undead theme. :)

BG2 is one of the best games ever made (as Fleming stated above), and I think that it would be a lot easier going from Diablo to BG2 than it would be going to Planescape: Torment, because of the latter's emphasis on storytelling and reading versus the "part of your balanced breakfast" BG2, which has puzzles, story, and combat in near-equal amounts.

Well I just ordered fallout 1 and 2, and after I finish that I plan on getting planescape and finishing with baldur's gate series. Baldur's gate doesn't have a box set with both games and expansion packs does it?

Again thanks for all the help, I think what sealed the deal was reading in reviews that fallout brought people in that did not like the genre, as well as knowing once i played planescape and baldur's it would be tough to step back graphically.

I'm trying to get a hold of a copy of Bard's Tale for XBOX because it seems to be a great lighthearted RPG that invokes memories of retro gaming in me and I suppose you could try it out as well. I keep hearing good things about it.

Animal

Banned
OK well call me crazy but I bought BG2 after being tired of D2 and i played 2 hours...put it back in its box and i haven't touched it since...I Suggest you go for Champions of Norrath or Champions Return to Arms. I just discovered how good these two games are on PS2. They are exactly like Diablo 2 with good graphics and lots and lots of hours of play.

BG2 is the biggest mistake of my gaming life. I just couldnt get into the story, the play method wasnt very exciting either.

Vieo

The only problem with Fallout are the strange graphical glitches that pop up and the crappy resolution. Fallout Tactics is also a pain as the cursor blurs anything is passes over. But year, Fallout 1 & 2 are great games. I only played them for the first time this year. =P

Borys

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I'm *praying* you meant Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 and not Shadows of Amn, animal.

Lots of my friends couldn't get into BG games because it "wasn't Diablo" and you "talk too much", "not enough monsters", "too slow and boring".

People are stupid.

The BG series having the somewhat complicated AD&D rules didn't help those not literate in D&D. Personally after being introduced to 3.0 and 3.5 first, then going back to try AD&D is pretty tough (I finished BG and ToSC, and I'm working on BG2). Another alternative to the BG series is the Icewind Dale series (I didn't like the first one as much as Icewind Dale 2, but the 2nd one is difficult)

[edit] Hmm, now that I think about it IWD2 was pretty combat heavy, so if you like emphasis there, it's a positive.

Animal

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I'm *praying* you meant Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 and not Shadows of Amn, animal.

Unfortunately i really meant BG2: Shadows of Amn. And no Borys that does not make me stupid. I bought it thinking i was going to dive into some crazy insane RPG playing and i ended up being bored to death. I had played diablo 2 for about a week and i hated every minute. It was way to simplistic and repetitive. I needed something more complex and intelligent and i thought i was gonna get that with BG2:SoA. I admit to not having played very far in the game...one or two cities after escaping from that guy's prison. I couldn't understand why i wasnt into the game because everything was telling me that this game would be for me. In the end, its been collecting dust on the bottom of my game shelf.

I believe one of the main reasons i didnt like the game was the way you had to pause the game setup all your characters to perform a certain action then unpausing...then pausing again...i hated that so much.

Azih

In terms of graphics you really should go with finishing off the Fallout series first, man have those aged badly. BG2 will seem like next-gen graphics by the time you're finished with Fallout.

I'm actually just waiting for my copy of the fallout games to get here, but with all this talk I can't wait to try them out. I've never been much for RPG's so I'm hoping I'll have the patience to get to the good parts. I did play the Dark Alliance games and the Sony one that was just like it, and I had fun, but they seemed more like a new Gauntlet to me than anything.

Anyway, I'm reading a little about Neverwinter Nights, was that any good?

Top Bottom