• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Star Trek and Realized Something.....

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Voyager is probably the most entertaining series. Not the best, but the most entertaining.

One of my favorite episodes is when Janeway "dies" and her father comes through from the other side to help beckon her into the afterlife. One of my absolute favorite episodes in the entire Star Trek series but Scorpion and sequel are among the best. 8472 is really something else but I hate what they did with them later on.

Deep Space Nine also really got neglected over the years. It is not my favorite Star Trek series but damn if I won't agree it probably has the best cast of characters and well-rounded characters in the entire series and Sisko is really a badass. This is one Captain you do not want to fuck with.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
Old Star Trek is my comfort food TV Show and best show to play-in-the-background as you're doing chores. Therefore, I think i've seen TNG, DS9, VOY at least 10x+ times all the way through :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Right now for me, TNG = DS9 > VOY > ENT. All have their fun moments and I miss the style of OG Trek.

TNG of course after the first two seasons (with some exceptions) really became solid TV - the good episodes are REALLY GOOD, especially once you get a feel for who the characters are.

I could seriously watch this clip over and over again.

So good

And then you have awesome humorous scenes that are so subtle but so well done.

Then the episode where Data was ordered to lie, Picard trolling the Sheliaks.

DS9 of course had an awesome cast of characters, again get past the awkward earlier episodes where they're still trying to figure out who they are - but once they do, oh boy - the interactions. Everybody worked so well with everybody else it felt.

Voyager I think overall was good for what it had. The overall concept of being stuck in the Delta Quadrant, trying to get home had potential, but it really was difficult to break free from the whole, meet new alien, find possible new technology that would get them home faster, and then last minute failure. The episodes that didn't focus so much about getting home were some of the better ones.

Voyager was poop. The characters were mostly bad. They ignored their own premise. And they littered that canon with complete bullshit.

I'm surprised I wasn't more ready for the Star Wars prequels to be shit. Voyager had shattered an unshakeable tenet of my youth, that Star Trek and Star Wars were 100% awesome.

On its best day it was only ever worth a shameful Seven of Nine fap.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Voyager was a great starter for folks that weren't interested in Trek. My ex-gf and also my wife got into Trek thanks to Voyager. But yeah, what they did to to the Borg was ass.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Voyager was a great starter for folks that weren't interested in Trek. My ex-gf and also my wife got into Trek thanks to Voyager. But yeah, what they did to to the Borg was ass.
The only silver lining
star trek voyager GIF

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
They nerfed 8472 as well which I considered the Star Trek's worst crime.

I enjoyed all the old Trek shows, but Voyager was probably lowest on the totem pole. OG Trek will always be my favorite, it gives me the best nostalgia hits.
And the original movies, my god, that shit was so good. The absolute weirdness of The Motion Picture. The pinnacle of Trek that was the Wrath of Khan. Doc Brown as a Klingon in The Search for Spock. The comedy greatness of The Voyage Home. The complete train wreck that was V, I don’t even remember the subtitle it was so bad. Topped off with the cherry that was the Undiscovered Country, the whole series was a cinematic tour de force.

And do get me started on those Horner/Goldsmith soundtracks.

I think I stopped watching at Enterprise, I haven’t seen any of the Nu Trek stuff at all so I don’t really have an opinion on it. I have seen several clips from Lower Deck on YouTube that I found pretty good though.

CSJ

All have their fun moments and I miss the style of OG Trek.

If you haven't seen The Orville yet, I think Season 2 really gives that feel, even down to the music.
Season 1 is getting it's footing but heavily comedic, Season 2 still leans on comedy but introduces a bit more seriousness, Season 3 seems to go hard and leaves a lot of the previous behind but is still great.

I just understand how hard it is to get people past the first Season, even my brother didn't seem to like it until it clicked, same with Lower Decks.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
If you haven't seen The Orville yet, I think Season 2 really gives that feel, even down to the music.
Season 1 is getting it's footing but heavily comedic, Season 2 still leans on comedy but introduces a bit more seriousness, Season 3 seems to go hard and leaves a lot of the previous behind but is still great.

I just understand how hard it is to get people past the first Season, even my brother didn't seem to like it until it clicked, same with Lower Decks.
I ADORE Orville. I couldn't believe that I didn't watch it earlier and only when my friend recommended it, (after talking about how I missed OG trek). It is awesome for exactly what you said and I seriously wish for season 4 to happen some day.

Top Bottom