• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO [update: pilot ordered]

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
anigif_enhanced-29573-1461747724-2.gif

EYEL1NER

I've never heard of The Leftovers until this thread, so I don't know how that is. I guess I'd check out the first episode or impressions of it after it aired, regardless of Lindelof being involved or not, but I can't say I ever thought I needed or wanted a Watchmen tv series; the film was perfect enough as-is.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How are they going to handle the supplemental materials at the back of each issue? I always thought era specific documentaries and TV Shows would be great, but I'm not sure that'd be a gripping way to end each episode.

If it's a success, they're not gonna After Watchmen, are they...?

How are they going to handle the supplemental materials at the back of each issue? I always thought era specific documentaries and TV Shows would be great, but I'm not sure that'd be a gripping way to end each episode.

If it's a success, they're not gonna After Watchmen, are they...?

Were there supplementals at the back of the original printing?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Season 2 of The Leftovers is one of my favorite TV seasons this decade, so I'm in.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if they're going to try to stick slavishly to the comic. I don't think certain elements will work nearly as well.

Like, the whole novel - structurally - relies on patterns. The fact that the comic format allows you to linger on them and pick through pages without disturbing your internal pacing is important to recognising them. You won't necessarily see them as they are on the page if you're being dragged through at a consistent 24fps.

Or how do you show Dr Manhattan's perception of time effectively in a strictly linear format? Film didn't do a very good job, if you ask me (which no one did).

These are tricky problem to solve.

Were there supplementals at the back of the original printing?

Graphic novel? Yeah.

Do you mean in the single issues? I haven't read them (and I'd sacrifice my left nut to get hold of them), but I'm sure I read they initially did the materials to fill space as they hadn't got any letters yet, then ran with it.

Funny, considering how crucial they are to understanding what's going on.

Q8D3vil

Leftovers was god tier tv in acting writing and execution.
Carrie coon is my favorite actress right now thanks to that show.

It's not like he can force in some bullshit mysteries that he refuses to answer, so I'm down.

The last season of Leftovers was a damn good showcase of emotional drama, it's a shame he had all that mysteries BS surrounding it.

CloudWolf

The Leftovers was great, but Lindelof still doesn't instill much trust with me considering The Leftovers is also the only good thing he has done.

Graphic novel? Yeah.

Do you mean in the single issues? I haven't read them (and I'd sacrifice my left nut to get hold of them), but I'm sure I read they initially did the materials to fill space as they hadn't got any letters yet, then ran with it.

Funny, considering how crucial they are to understanding what's going on.
Are they hard to come by now? I remember having all of them, first prints, when I was a kid and I bought them years after the original run. By then the graphic novel had been out forever.

As for the show he's earned a shot from me post The Leftovers. That show was amazing and the final episode was one of the most beautiful episodes of tv I've ever seen

Forkball

I understand why they keep doing it, but in all of comicsdom, Watchmen is one thing I don't need any more of. And I think the comic is great. It tells you everything you need to know about the world, the characters, and the plot is told well and succinctly. I have no questions, no issues, nothing I feel I need to see more of. There's nothing more to be told.

Kadayi

Banned
Nothing to redeem though!

Lost may have had a messy final season but it was fantastic for most of its run.

Yeah. I'd concur with that. I think the network insisting the writers draw out LOST over 6 seasons was a real hammer blow to the overall quality in the long run. I can't say I cared for how it wrapped up, but I think it's rather mean spirited to lay the blame solely at Lindelof's feet, same way everyone blames him for Prometheus being dire even though he only did a script treatment when there are other factors to consider. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje walking from the show when they were setting his role up as a significant counterpoint to the character of John Locke, for instance, didn't help matters.

Leftovers was exceptional and demonstrated that a cable show with more emphasis on quality and less on the number of episodes a season is a better fit for Lindelof in terms of production.

What if you didn't think much of S1?

Watch Season 2. It's a different beast. Certainly, Season 1 has problems, but the writers ironed those out and the show was better for it.

Solo

Lindelof himself will tell you S1 is a necessary evil (although I still really like S1). The show really finds itself in S2 when freed from the shackles of the book.

If you didn't like S1 and stopped watching, I cannot possibly recommend giving it another chance and watching S2 highly enough. It's almost a completely different show. It's more confident, it's funnier, it's darker, it's bolder, it's more messed up, it has great new characters and character moments, it'll destroy you in the best possible way.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Are they hard to come by now? I remember having all of them, first prints, when I was a kid and I bought them years after the original run. By then the graphic novel had been out forever.

Complete set is about $100. I don't have $100. Christ, it's not even my currency!

I do have a left nut going spare though.

Blader

Heh, does anyone think much of S1? Even Lindelof himself thinks it doesn't work well half the time.

I'll say, as someone who was going to drop the show after S1 and only came back because of the great reviews for S2 and 3, it's well worth getting back into. I'm not gonna say either year is among my favorite seasons of television ever, but they're both very good (I give the edge to S3) and the series finale was a lovely ending. Like Solo said, it's practically a different show compared to the first season.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
By hiring Lindelof they've made me interested. This is probably the only way to get me to watch a comic book show.

I'm not convinced there's a pressing need to do another adaptation of Watchmen but after The Leftovers I'd watch any TV show Lindelof was showrunning. Wasn't he attached to a Dark Tower TV show at one point? I feel like that would have been more in his wheelhouse than Watchmen.

jelly

I'll watch. Sure he took the piss with Lost but it was great telly for a bit and Prometheus was more Ridley Scott coming up with awful shit that he then had to put into the script. Leftovers is indeed very good, although a bit marmite. At least with this he can't just make up philosophical shite that goes nowhere.

Top Bottom