• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO [update: pilot ordered]

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who actually liked the Watchmen movie? I loved it.

I'm not a fan, at least. It looked pretty good though!

For me, a lot of the changes kinda undermine some of the stuff the comic was going for. I think Snyder trying to slavishly follow the comic, which was explicitly doing things only comics were able to, was a bad call. I think I would've been happier if he tried his own thing with the source material. Not by much though :D

I'll admit though, I'm the absolute worst kind of fanboy of the comic with a penchant for long tracts as to "WHAT THEY DONE AND GOT WRONG BOUT MAH COMIX".

WriterGK

Bit LTTP I just finished Season 2 Episode 3 The Leftovers. This gonna be on of my new favourite TV Shows along with The Americans season 4.
FYI I read that Damon isn't going to do this after all.

Looks like he got the job:
img_0302w0s9m.png

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm starting to become convinced that there's a larger conspiracy at play here that revolves around everyone in entertainment trying to give Alan Moore a rage-induced seizure.

what's wrong with lindelof

Self-important blowhard that refuses to accept extremely valid criticism. He has shallow ideas that are presented in a way that makes dumb people feel like they're witnessing something profound. He buys his own empty hype and will fight to the death to defend his shortcomings. To him, it's just other people not understanding his genius.

Self-important blowhard that refuses to accept extremely valid criticism. He has shallow ideas that are presented in a way that makes dumb people feel like they're witnessing something profound. He buys his own empty hype and will fight to the death to defend his shortcomings. To him, it's just other people not understanding his genius.

Are you kidding me with this shit. The guy could not be anymore humble and self-deprecating on the many podcast appearances I've heard of his.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Superhero’s sound like the correct way for Linedolf to write considering he can do whatever he wants and no one will question what happens.

Blader

I've read a ton of interviews with Lindelof over the years and find him to be a pretty thoughtful, reflective guy. I've never gotten the "convinced of his own genius, and anyone who doesn't like it or get it can fuck off" vibe from him at all, except maybe in relation to Prometheus, which felt more to me like diplomatic tip-toeing around Ridley Scott's hamfisted mandates for vague nonsense. But I also liked Lost and The Leftovers, so maybe I'm just one of those dumb people.

Purkake4

Banned
Lindelof has ruined everything he's touched that I've seen (LOST, Prometheus, Cowboys & Aliens, World War Z).

Hard pass.

I know. That doesn't answer my question.

Every episode save for a couple where he has a "story by" credit instead of a "written by" credit.

THE LEFTOVERS was the ultimate promise of LOST without the limitations of mid-2000's network television. The last season is one of the best things ever produced for TV.

Blader

Lindelof has ruined everything he's touched that I've seen (LOST, Prometheus, Cowboys & Aliens, World War Z).

Hard pass.

IIRC, Lindeolf only came in on World War Z to rewrite the third act. Which is far and away the best part of the movie (and really its only good part).

I also just think Lindelof's writing style is way better suited to TV than movies.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Hard pass.
You really think Damon Lindelof is what ruined Prometheus, Cowboys & Aliens, and World War Z?

gdt

Interesting, thank you.

Personally, I don't know enough about Lindelof's work outside of Lost to judge his writing...although Prometheus was absolutely woeful. Reading the script for that film is really something.

He wrote everything. As the showrunner he took the final pass at every script for sure. Same thing was going on during his Lost days.

So yes, The Leftovers is absolutely a product of Damon Lindelof.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Niiiiiiice, Lindelof is one of the most interesting to watch in the business right now.
Pretty stoked for this!

Are you kidding me with this shit. The guy could not be anymore humble and self-deprecating on the many podcast appearances I've heard of his.

I've read a ton of interviews with Lindelof over the years and find him to be a pretty thoughtful, reflective guy. I've never gotten the "convinced of his own genius, and anyone who doesn't like it or get it can fuck off" vibe from him at all, except maybe in relation to Prometheus, which felt more to me like diplomatic tip-toeing around Ridley Scott's hamfisted mandates for vague nonsense. But I also liked Lost and The Leftovers, so maybe I'm just one of those dumb people.

Yeah, he's extremely defensive about Lost and Prometheus and other projects, making claims like he fulfilled some sort of vision he had for the shows and how everything worked out exactly to plan despite obviously just throwing shit at the screen with no rhyme or reason just because 'man, life sure is mysterious!" He always tries to explain it away in ways that seem like he's being honest and thoughtful, but he's definitely full of shit. He usually comes across like, "I mean, yeah, I crashed that train, but it wasn't because of the other train on the tracks or my terrible ability to conduct a train. It was just the natural outcome of driving this particular train, and in the end, what an experience!"

I admit I haven't seen the Leftovers which has gotten some praise, but his other stuff has too and I've always ended up hating it. I'm sure if the Leftovers got more criticism, he'd be doing the same thing there. He's pretty much a hack to me and I've yet to see anything that shows he has any kind of self-reflection on these issues. Just hand waves it away and off to the next bloated project.

Gonna watch The Leftovers after all the positive comments here. I'm keeping his film screenplays out of mind because those were all big budget blockbuster films and there's a lot of corporate meddling involved with those. HBO is notoriously hands off with their projects so if I were to compare anything, it'd be to another one of his HBO series.

You know what would comic book would perfectly fit the TV format?

Batman: The Long Halloween.

12 episode miniseries would be amazing.

(Gotham Central would be amazing too)

Lindelof shouldn't get any shit for Prometheus or WWZ.
Seriously. In both cases he was brought in to make specific changes to specific parts of the script that were asked of him, and in both casss the scripts had major issues beforehand. Giving him shit for studio or director determined patch job alterations is silly.

Blader

Lindelof shouldn't get any shit for Prometheus or WWZ.

Especially the latter, since his script contribution was the only good part of that movie!

Yeah, he's extremely defensive about Lost and Prometheus and other projects, making claims like he fulfilled some sort of vision he had for the shows and how everything worked out exactly to plan despite obviously just throwing shit at the screen with no rhyme or reason just because 'man, life sure is mysterious!" He always tries to explain it away in ways that seem like he's being honest and thoughtful, but he's definitely full of shit. He usually comes across like, "I mean, yeah, I crashed that train, but it wasn't because of the other train on the tracks or my terrible ability to conduct a train. It was just the natural outcome of driving this particular train, and in the end, what an experience!"

Well you sound like you have an axe to grind, so again, all I can add is that I've read scores of interviews and listened to hours of podcasts with the guy over the years and have never really seen or heard that Lindelof before. Except for maybe in regards to Prometheus.

I admit I haven't seen the Leftovers which has gotten some praise, but his other stuff has too and I've always ended up hating it. I'm sure if the Leftovers got more criticism, he'd be doing the same thing there. He's pretty much a hack to me and I've yet to see anything that shows he has any kind of self-reflection on these issues. Just hand waves it away and off to the next bloated project.

Other than Lost -- which a lot of people, myself included, readily admit they loved even in spite of some messy writing -- what exactly has gotten this praise? Pretty sure stuff like Prometheus and Cowboys & Aliens are widely reviled.

In any event, while I enjoyed Lost more, The Leftovers is definitely his best written work. So if nothing else, he's on an upward trajectory.

jett said:
How about people that have seen the first season of The Leftovers and thought it was one of the worst shows HBO has ever made next to Vinyl.

Well, Lindelof also did not like the first season. :lol

(hey, now there's an example of Lindelof being self-critical!)

As someone who dropped the show after S1 because it missed more than it hit for me, and only went to the show because of all the positive buzz around the second season, I'd say S2 is definitely worth checking out. And if you don't like THAT, then don't bother with the third.

I don't get this season 1 -> season 2 point that's been bandied around a lot lately

Like sure season 2 definitely is better. But it's also very indicative of the tone and melodrama of the first season. So if you didn't like that in leftovers don't bother with the rest

I enjoyed the show overall for sure though. Even made a thread about it (and this was just after the first season haha). But I gotta say I was not happy about the series finale. It propped up a relationship that held no weight to me whatsoever so it just ended up feeling so inert

Top Bottom