• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO [update: pilot ordered]

Solo

Based on the transition from Lost the The Leftovers, Lindelof likely won't use any of the same cast (not to mention that Coon's career is skyrocketing and she's likely unavailable for a multi-year commitment and Theroux seems done with being in a TV series). Which would be a shame because I can already picture a number of The Leftovers' cast in various Watchmen roles.

5taquitos

Based on the transition from Lost the The Leftovers, Lindelof likely won't use any of the same cast (not to mention that Coon's career is skyrocketing and she's likely unavailable for a multi-year commitment and Theroux seems done with being in a TV series). Which would be a shame because I can already picture a number of The Leftovers' cast in various Watchmen roles.
As long as he keeps the piano, it's his most important character.

Keym

I'm... not sure what else they could add that wasn't already in the movie. Flashbacks to the older heroes? Either way, in. Maybe.

inm8num2

FLDdYZ3.jpg

Lindelof talks about Watchmen at SDCC
Damon Lindelof said:
As of right now I haven't had any meetings with HBO about Watchmen... I have to weigh the balance of 'Should it exist?' before I decide to take it on... All I can say is I'm thinking about Watchmen a lot right now. Nothing official.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I kinda get the backlash, but he's easily the most qualified guy to handle this structurally.

Lost's structure was clearly inspired by Watchmen, right down to flashbacks and flashforwards and Desmond turning into Dic Manhattan at points.

I will never stop raging over these shitty dismissive comments from people who clearly haven't seen The Leftovers.

Like, so he's written some shitty screenplays. Do y'all understand that screenwriting is one of the most thankless tasks in Hollywood, that a lot screenwriters have an incredibly small amount of creative control, and that their work can be changed or ignored by the Director and crew at any point?

Like, I could give a fuck that two or three of Lindeolf's film screenplays ended up turning into shitty films. If you wanna talk shit without having seen The Leftovers, a show that I'd argue might be the finest drama of this decade, then you don't know what you're talking about.

I would kill to see this guy's take on Watchmen, it'd blow the Snyder film out of the water.

I kinda get the backlash, but he's easily the most qualified guy to handle this structurally.

Lost's structure was clearly inspired by Watchmen, right down to flashbacks and flashforwards and Desmond turning into Dic Manhattan at points.

That Freudian slip tho

I'd be down for this. Hate on Lindelof all you want but I'm sure this would be a better adaptation than the film version. Which I didn't hate, but Watchmen would work better as a show than a movie.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I will never stop raging over these shitty dismissive comments from people who clearly haven't seen The Leftovers.

Like, so he's written some shitty screenplays. Do y'all understand that screenwriting is one of the most thankless tasks in Hollywood, that a lot screenwriters have an incredibly small amount of creative control, and that their work can be changed or ignored by the Director and crew at any point?

Like, I could give a fuck that two or three of Lindeolf's film screenplays ended up turning into shitty films. If you wanna talk shit without having seen The Leftovers, a show that I'd argue might be the finest drama of this decade, then you don't know what you're talking about.

I would kill to see this guy's take on Watchmen, it'd blow the Snyder film out of the water.

And if I didn't care for The Leftovers either?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I forced myself through the first two seasons of The Leftovers, and am even less interested in anything Lindelof as a result.

WriterGK

Am I the only one who actually liked the Watchmen movie? I loved it. I have the Alan Moore comic tough, still need to continue reading it. As for The Leftovers, I am somwhere in the beginning of season 2, but yeah its good. But I watch other stuff. Going to continue tomorrow atleast. I am definitely onboard with this. And I love the fact that its like 50/50 here pro/against Damon.

Since we have the movie already and most people into comics already know this story very, very well, I'm not hyped about this at all.

I would have much preferred that they brought something else to the screen like Sandman.

kikiribu

This has me excited. The Leftovers was some of the best TV I've watched over the years. Truly nothing else like it.

Watchmen is going to be glorious.

Speely

Banned
Seeing how Lindelof progressed into The Leftovers (which was great,) I am optimistic about this show. I liked the comic AND the movie, and if I am imagining how a combination of those might influence a post-Leftovers Lindelof, I like it. This could actually be a very cool series.

A HBO miniseries of Watchmen, sure, why not. But my worry with a full series of presumably several seasons is that they'll start adding stuff and all of the additions are going to be shit.

CrunchyB

Hey, I liked The Leftovers, but that was mostly due to the acting. It still had plenty of issues with awkward storylines and The Guilty Remnant were grinding my gears way past my tolerance. It doesn't hold a candle to, say, Mad Men. But overall I liked it.

A Watchmen TV series just sounds like a terrible idea. The original comics are a neat, self-contained story. The movie already adequately reproduced the comic and I don't see how you can take the story much further without it going off the rails.

Also, Simpsons did it before, etc

240px-Watchmen_Babies_in_V_for_Vacation.png

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
A Watchmen TV series just sounds like a terrible idea. The original comics are a neat, self-contained story. The movie already adequately reproduced the comic and I don't see how you can take the story much further without it going off the rails.

If the comic had to be transferred to another medium, TV would be top of the list. I think film conventions force too many concessions on what the comic is trying to get across. TV can, at the very least, work well for the episodic structure (structure being, overall, what's so special about the comic).

Also, I strongly disagree with the bolded. Film was way off point in everything except the visuals.

Blader

I have seen the first season.

How much more torture do I have to endure.

You've already seen the worst part!

I dropped The Leftovers after S1 because I just did not enjoy it, save for a couple episodes. I only got back on board because of the positive reception around S2, and I have to say, the second and third seasons are absolutely worth watching.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ur just factually wrong, the final season was one of the most acclaimed TV seasons of the last several years.

Great and so is Game of Thrones and I don't really care for that either in the last few seasons. The acting and character work is decent to great in The Leftovers but other than that it wasn't anything that amazing to me.

Yes! I want a watchmen musical episode dammit!

Of course there is also the crossover potential!

Absolutely, they whole cast would be beautiful people and lots of drama+ugly crying.

I mean, if this is tonally similar to The Leftovers in anyway, then you'll have more than enough of that.

It never ceases to amaze slash frustrate me how Lost and Prometheus haters show up in every Lindelof thread like clockwork to shit on the guy, despite his most recent effort objectively being one of the best television dramas of the decade.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It never ceases to amaze slash frustrate me how Lost and Prometheus haters show up in every Lindelof thread like clockwork to shit on the guy, despite his most recent effort objectively being one of the best television dramas of the decade.

Wonder who gets more ire here, him or Max Landis.

Am I the only one who actually liked the Watchmen movie? I loved it.
I love that movie. It's like watching an MTV countdown of music videos with a loose super hero theme that come together and form a plot.

Top Bottom