• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB has refused offers from Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount for 'Coyote vs ACME' and now may delete the movie entirely

ManaByte

Gold Member

Following the death and potential resurrection of “Coyote vs. Acme,” there were screenings for interested parties. According to several people familiar with the situation, Netflix, Amazon and Paramount screened the movie (which was received well) and submitted handsome offers. Paramount even proposed a theatrical release component to their acquisition of “Coyote vs. Acme” that would allow for Warner Bros. to save face and, more importantly, let audiences see the movie the way it was meant to be experienced.

But Warner Bros., which stood to make $35 – $40 million on the tax write-down, wanted something in the ballpark of $75 – $80 million from a buyer. And what’s more, they wouldn’t allow the interested studios to counter Warner Bros.’ offer. It was a “take it or leave it” situation, one that the other studios didn’t even know they were entering into, insiders told TheWrap.

Zaslav never saw the movie at all. De Luca and Abdy saw a “director’s cut,” and Damaschke saw the first audience preview. Significantly, “Coyote vs. Acme” was developed and greenlit by a previous regime; the only executive that worked on the movie that is still at the company is Jesse Ehrman. These executives, who trumpet a filmmaker-first approach and have recently signed big deals with directors like Ryan Coogler and Paul Thomas Anderson (who conspicuously made their deals after the filmmaker-led backlash to Warner Bros. had subsided), were apparently prepared to trash a movie that they’d never even watched.

Austin Powers Evil Laugh GIF

AJUMP23

Gold Member
What a terrible way to do business.

Why not just use it to fill a gap in streaming if you want to claim a loss with it.

Someone needs to leak that Batgirl movie and this.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
WB are doing this a lot recently. What happened to that Salem's Lot adaptation that's been finished for over a year?

Sounds like an insurance scam.

Neon Xenon

Not that WB was ever some kind of shining beacon in my eyes (it's a large media company, hating them should be the default stance), but  man. They are not lacking in reasons to hate them lately. Even most of their media output is easy to dunk on.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like we are seeing more and more projects with these HUGE budget numbers but absolutely shoddy production quality that suggests to me stuff is getting made that can be released OR binned for a tax write-off and the studio still comes out ahead. This tax thing really needs to be written out of law, just insane that a company can make something, decide it sucks, and then write it off. Why can't I go to a job, decide it sucks, then write off the income from said job, year after year?

dorkimoe

this is one of those things that everyone is upset about but I can promise you half the upset people weren’t gonna go see it. It’s just like people crying for games they want sequels to when the first one sold like ass

K' Dash

this is one of those things that everyone is upset about but I can promise you half the upset people weren’t gonna go see it. It’s just like people crying for games they want sequels to when the first one sold like ass

I wouldn't have gone to the movies to see it. I would definitely watch it on Netflix with my daughter.

I think it'll be funny if all this drama goes through and they finally go "FINE HERE IS THE MOVIE" and it's terrible and loses them more money than taking the tax write-off.

Like, let's be honest, it sounds like a terrible idea and nobody cares about Looney Tunes in 2024. This was gonna bomb. It's just now turned in to a poster child for big bad movie companies doing movies dirty, lol.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They did not. They have to try to sell it, which they half arsed did, to credibly write it of regarding taxes and not be investigated.
WB might still be investigated for the tax write off.

I was talking about Batgirl, not Coyote vs ACME. WB deleted Batgirl entirely as if anyone were to ever leak it, they'd be in trouble for the tax write off they did.

What a horrible thing to do to all the artists that labored over this movie, after all that work they're just gonna shoot it in the back of the head and bury it in the desert. They're not satisfied profiting off the exploitation of the artists' work, they're going to profit from the art's destruction, warming their servants quarters with the bonfire.

Artoris

Gold Member
WB are doing this a lot recently. What happened to that Salem's Lot adaptation that's been finished for over a year?

Sounds like an insurance scam.
"Sounds like an insurance scam"

this is probablly the onlly way they can make money these days

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I was talking about Batgirl, not Coyote vs ACME. WB deleted Batgirl entirely as if anyone were to ever leak it, they'd be in trouble for the tax write off they did.
Can you share a source for that? I'm having trouble finding any articles mentioning this.

Top Bottom