• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s in Subway’s chicken? Hint: Maybe only 50% chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was some bullshit about the ingredients in their bread not long ago. Something about the same chemicals used to make tires.

Bullshit is the right word.

Because it was just a food additive that also happens to be used for non food things too. Like water. And Salt. Like loads of stuff. These scaremongering stories about fast food only tend to be accurate about 5% of the time in my estimation.

I can think of much worse things to cut chicken with than soy.

jmdajr

I think it was a clueless food blogger who made it a much bigger deal than it actually was.

I actually like Subway's chicken sandwiches, but I was never under the illusion that it was healthy.

Learn to cook.

I mean the chicken doesn't look like chicken. Like wtf right?

But yes learn to cook.

First the 11 inch footlong and now this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Those bastards...

Fuchsdh

I think it was a clueless food blogger who made it a much bigger deal than it actually was.

I actually like Subway's chicken sandwiches, but I was never under the illusion that it was healthy.

Learn to cook.

It's still probably healthier than your fast food alternatives (you can get whole wheat bread and put as many veggies as you want) but I'm sure the bigger issue for a lot of people is how much they're eating out overall.

Futureman

Well soy isn't that bad. I thought the other 50% was going to be shoe.

University of Pittsburgh just released a study today that men in the US see less health benefits from eating soybeans than Japanese men:

While a plurality of Japanese men experience heart-health benefits from consuming soybeans — tofu, soy milk, edamame, tempeh and other soy-based foods — the same occurs far less often in American men.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/he...soy-food-on-heart-health/stories/201702230208

Philly40

Chicken has no flavor so no wonder they have to add a bucket of salt and flavorings on that tasteless hell-meat.

American fast food diet:
30% soy
30% corn (mostly high-fructose corn syrup)
30% bleached white flour
10% "chicken"

Chicken has plenty of flavour if it's cooked whole - even without any seasonings.

It's when you mechanically strip the meat off the carcass that you lose the taste.

Magwik

Banned
Always knew Subway chicken tasted like shit. Y'all need a Potbelly around you for a real sandwich and not Jimmy John's trash

Well this explains why the chicken has always tasted like water rather than meat.

Now they just have to figure out why the bread tastes like filler.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
It is. Cattle grid in windsor does it, so worth checking some steak restaurants near you just in case.

Will do, thanks for the tip.

The real injustice is that there's some takeout near me with Canada in the name (and the leaf for a logo) but when I looked on the menu, NO POUTINE.

Always knew Subway chicken tasted like shit. Y'all need a Potbelly around you for a real sandwich and not Jimmy John's trash

I like the roast beef with the hot peppers (aka giardiniera). That place is also really affordable.

On Subway, I thought everything was made of chicken like even the pepperoni and salami? That always sounded like BS to me but then this is probably worse if half the chicken is soy. It's sad that you could make a better sandwich with Carl Buddig meat.

-Gozer-

I never understood why they bother with the fake grill marks on the chicken.

subway%2Bchicken%2Bfake.jpg

Subway - "Those aren't grill marks. They're flavor stripes."

MindofKB

I've known that it was this bad for quite some time. My mother-in-law works in corporate food services and knows all about the meats and vegetables used at fast food chains. She says she would NEVER eat a sandwich at Subway after seeing how much soy and water they pump into their protein mixture.

She also told me that she was bummed Quiznos tanked because they had the highest quality protein out of all of the major sandwich chains. She was willing to pay the extra cost every time knowing that the beef and chicken in the sandwich wasn't so heavily diluted. She also told me why some pizza chains are able to sell pies for only $5. Apparently, the quality of ingredients they buy from major suppliers is incredibly low. One major pizza chain in particular apparently uses pepperoni that's 1 grade above what is used in dog food.

The more you know.

jmdajr

I've known that it was this bad for quite some time. My mother-in-law works in corporate food services and knows all about the meats and vegetables used at fast food chains. She says she would NEVER eat a sandwich at Subway after seeing how much soy and water they pump into their protein mixture.

She also told me that she was bummed Quiznos tanked because they had the highest quality protein out of all of the major sandwich chains. She was willing to pay the extra cost every time knowing that the beef and chicken in the sandwich wasn't so heavily diluted. She also told me why some pizza chains are able to sell pies for only $5. Apparently, the quality of ingredients they buy from major suppliers is incredibly low. One major pizza chain in particular apparently uses pepperoni that's 1 grade above what is used in dog food.

The more you know.

Little Caesars???

see5harp

My whole thing is if they somehow got a bunch of Soy to taste decent enough to eat then good for them. Please don't everything on sodium content though. That's sorta idiotic as if eating some Brocolli with a lot of salt would be worse for you than eating an entire serving of Poutine.

Bullshit is the right word.

Because it was just a food additive that also happens to be used for non food things too. Like water. And Salt. Like loads of stuff. These scaremongering stories about fast food only tend to be accurate about 5% of the time in my estimation.

I can think of much worse things to cut chicken with than soy.

Eh, if you say you are selling people chicken it should be chicken. I don't care if it's soy. If they are willing to lie about that then everything they sell is suspect.

I had rotisserie chicken yesterday which isn't listed here to my relief. Other than that I only go for thier tuna which I love. Their sandwiches are kinda bald but I seemingly think they are healthy given how many veggies I eat with it. Plus they are cheap. But holy fuck at that sodium level, one sub is exceeding daily value. I wish I had decent food places close to me.

They have a ridiculous amount of locations, but their average store revenue sucks.
In N Out has three-quarters as much revenue from 300 stores as Subway has from 44,000.
I'm not surprised In-N-Out has disproportionately high revenue being that it's In-N-Out, but holy shit. How is Subway only pulling in $1.1 billion across 44,000 stores?! That doesn't even seem possible.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Not really surprising. Even cheap cuts of chicken are going to be hard to use and be profitable with foot long sandwiches at $5-6.

Pretty much any locally owned sandwich or pita shop is going to be miles better than subway, but also cost $3-4 more per meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom