• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s in Subway’s chicken? Hint: Maybe only 50% chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subway is a good place to get a cheap salad but almost all the meat offerings are pretty gross.

It's also dependent on how the quality of the staff and management is at food prep and freshness of vegetables.

Wood Man

Has anyone here had Subway and thought "This is a damn tasty sandwich."

Every time I bite into a Subway sub I feel a rush of disappointment, like I was expecting it to be good this time. With that said I haven't been in a couple years since I've learned to use the Publix weekly deals.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you've ever bought store brand deli meats then you are probably already used to it. That shit is nasty. And the cheaper you go, the less actual meat you get. (A large portion of it being dried seaweed)

I mean it's not like Subway makes their sandwiches with name brand meats like Boar's Head or Dietz and Watson. They gotta keep their prices low somehow.

Basically don't go to Subway for a good sandwich.

WedgeX

Banned
No wonder I used to get so sick eating at Subway when I wanted a chicken sub. Wonder where the hell the hives came from.

I have a soy allergy.

Fuck you, Subway.

Every time I bite into a Subway sub I feel a rush of disappointment, like I was expecting it to be good this time. With that said I haven't been in a couple years since I've learned to use the Publix weekly deals.

I used to love it. But either I got bored of it or the quality declined, so I don't go anymore

That depends on if you got anything with Italian herbs and cheese, because my god that bread is good.

I don't understand why anyone would want to eat at Subways. Expensive and tastes awful. Plus you have this terrible odor every time you walk past one of them.

UberTag

She also told me that she was bummed Quiznos tanked because they had the highest quality protein out of all of the major sandwich chains. She was willing to pay the extra cost every time knowing that the beef and chicken in the sandwich wasn't so heavily diluted.
I miss Quiznos. Their food was godly. Why did Subway have to win that war with their swill?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have experience working at Subway:

The "roasted chicken" and the strips in the chicken bacon ranch or teriyaki are all very obviously formed into their shapes at the factory, so they have a lot of filler and don't taste very good IMO.

Get the rotisserie chicken (or carved turkey slices), as it is a straight up huge hunk of meat that they tear apart into pieces (with gloves on, of course) in prep before it goes to the line.

Edit:
Its leagues better than Subway but not quite on the level of Jersey Mike's. You wanna talk about fast food, watch how the JJ guys make the sandwiches.
I also worked at Jimmy Johns before. They have indeed perfected the system for speed (and cleanliness), but the cost of all those employees at once comes out of your pocket and customization isn't as good. Their meats are generally better, although more dependent on which part of the hunk your portion was sliced from, especially with the beef.

Italian BMT & Spicy Italian were quite good. Most of the others are ranging from gross to meh.

I never understood why they bother with the fake grill marks on the chicken.

subway%2Bchicken%2Bfake.jpg

Subway - "Those aren't grill marks. They're flavor stripes."

Just needs a guitar neck and some strings.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Subway has no redeeming qualities. The food is terrible. Ordering is a nightmare. Jimmy Johns may taste like a wet sock but at least they're fast.

Combined that with allegedly knowing about Fogle being a pedophile...easiest company ever not to give my business to.

Well it's consistent. Only there does the Tuna salad taste the same as a turkey Swiss

v1lla21

Subway is the last place I go to for lunch.
Togos is cool. My gf's mom works at togos so I get free sandwiches lol.
My favorite is Quiznos but it's so hard to find one that's still open :(

see5harp

Being a Bay Area resident, they're my go to sandwich place. Their Hot Pastrami is unbeatable for the price you pay.

I mean it's okay for the price, but there are so many better sandwich places jesus. It's hard to complain about Subway when you can get a footlong sandwich that is basically enough food for an entire day for $7.

Chicken has no flavor so no wonder they have to add a bucket of salt and flavorings on that tasteless hell-meat.

American fast food diet:
30% soy
30% corn (mostly high-fructose corn syrup)
30% bleached white flour
10% "chicken"
Learn 2 dark meat, noob.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess this is true if you've only ever eaten factory farm chicken.
Yeah, factory chicken breeds have been transformed over the last 70 years to provide quantity over quality, but good ol traditional organic farm chicken is amazing.

maxcriden

That's not true at all. The ingredients list is organized from greatest ingredient to least ingredient, but being close to each other isn't indicative of being similar in total proportions.

For example, if you had this ingredient list:

Chicken, water, salt

It could be 97% chicken, 2% water, and 1% salt... Or 49% chicken, 48% water, and 3% salt. What you're describing is scenario #2, but scenario #1 could also be true.

I see, I mean as soon as you say it, it makes sense, I just never thought it through I suppose. Thank you.

Sanjuro

Jersey Mikes is good if you want a hot sub.

Jimmy Johns is good if you want a cold sub.

Subway is good if you want to just get off.

jts

...hate me...
I'll be honest here, all I want from Subway is a nice, cheesy, umami, hearty meatball sub. They don't even have it where I live so they're not even an option, fake chicken or not.

Big-E

I never understood why they bother with the fake grill marks on the chicken.

subway%2Bchicken%2Bfake.jpg

Subway - "Those aren't grill marks. They're flavor stripes."

I have only been to subway a handful of times, but I have never gotten anything with chicken because of how fucking fake it looks. Just look at that vile shit. Of course it ain't 50 percent chicken.

Kickz

This has to be the case for the BK chicken sandwiches as well. They have not tasted like real chicken in about a decade...

Wendys probably the last one keeping it 100 with chicken sandwiches..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom