• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 3DS XL cases do you guys use?

milkham

I wasn't sure where to ask this, and search didn't prove fruitful so I figured you guys are pretty knowledgeable. Is there anything for the XL like the hori play stand for the dslite?
It actually fit my 3ds and i used it a lot with animal crossing.
3TWP7rm.jpg
ys13rxd.jpg

1jNIbK4.jpg
It has a couple black tabs that can pop out probably to accomadate the DS Phat, but the XL doesn't come close to fitting. I've seen an updated version designed for the DSi but an XL isn't going to fit in that one either.

solomon

where do you get this?

Bought the orange shell on Ebay and the decal I asked a guy to custom make that size (its now available to everyone) on etsy.

(Shells) stores vary I just click on what I found first, also its in Hong Kong so prepare for a long wait.
http://bit.ly/1hm3VBj

(Decals) etsy has a large selection of decals
http://etsy.me/18rfp3S

Personally I only use the top shell, makes the 3ds look custom and legit rather than clunky and cheap.

Raife

The 2 part aluminum cases that people are getting laser etched are great in providing protection while adding a minimal amount of bulk to an already large system(XL). The top piece is a bit fiddly to get to stay on, but once you do, the system can still slide into a jacket pocket more comfortably than any other 3DS case I've tried. Both parts are lined with a soft cloth-like substance to prevent any damage to the 3DS while putting them on. Inserting and removing cartridges isn't affected, but swapping the SD cards requires taking off the bottom part of the case. Protection is quite solid. I have a Pikachu 3DSXL and I noticed no wear on the console where it had been covered after a few months of use.

milkham

I bit the bullet and ordered the Waterfield Cityslicker and the Suede Jacket.

The Cityslicker is amazing quality, with a good amount of padding, slots for 3 games, and stretchy mesh zippered pouch on the back. A nice touch is there's a little loop on the bottom edge of the case to aid when pulling the system out. It doesn't squeeze the system tightly but pulling out the 3ds does seem to either turn the volume all the way up or all the way down depending on the orientation. It was a bit of a squeeze but I was able to get an ac adapter into the back mesh pouch. That might not work for UK plugs. The cityslicker almost feels like a little purse, there are even two loops on the sides which you could slide a couple D-rings through if you want to hook a shoulder strap to it.

11211749424_edeeb95c05_b.jpg

11211749525_467ea32285_b.jpg

11211749365_3334f5ba7e_b.jpg

11211749584_f516816b36_b.jpg

The Suede Jacket is much simpler, just a tight fitting sleeve with a mesh pocket on the outside. It is tight enough that getting the 3ds in and out right now is a little fiddly, I wish it had a loop on the bottom for pulling it off like the Cityslicker does. That will probably improve with time as it stretches out a bit though.

11211876393_ea6a8ed93d_b.jpg

11211876443_328c214132_b.jpg

Doombear

Damn it Milk. I really have been trying to convince myself not to pick one of these up forever (for either Vita or 3DS) and these amazing pictures are not helping.

LQX

Being that my 3DSXL never leaves the house I find this case to be awesome. Not huge and has six cart holders and you can actually play the 3DS from inside it.
Looks much better in person and is officially licensed. Only regret is I was not able to find it in black.

Thanks for the pics, milkham. Currently trying to decide between grabbing the waterfield suede jacket and buying one of those club nintendo pouches from eBay, your pictures are the best I've found since beginning my search a few days ago.

If anyone's interested in selling their red/gray bag... ;)

milkham

Damn it Milk. I really have been trying to convince myself not to pick one of these up forever (for either Vita or 3DS) and these amazing pictures are not helping.

it smells nice too

Thanks for the pics, milkham. Currently trying to decide between grabbing the waterfield suede jacket and buying one of those club nintendo pouches from eBay, your pictures are the best I've found since beginning my search a few days ago.

If anyone's interested in selling their red/gray bag... ;)

np. it was strangely hard to find decent photos of many of these cases

b3b0p

That Amazon Basics one looks exactly like the Hori one I own. I bought mine with my launch Onyx Black 3DS.

Hedja

Just using an Amazon Basic case. Used to also have a hard clear shell but realised the 3DS XL looks so much better without it. Why bother protecting something if you can't see it in all its beauty?

Great thread. I'm in the market for one of these right now. Took my XL out with the family to try and get some spot passes (didn't work for some reason) and had it in my jeans pocket the whole time. I was worried about the finish but it was good when I inspected it. I imagine I can't do that too often without trouble later on though.

Great thread. I'm in the market for one of these right now. Took my XL out with the family to try and get some spot passes (didn't work for some reason) and had it in my jeans pocket the whole time. I was worried about the finish but it was good when I inspected it. I imagine I can't do that too often without trouble later on though.

I've had my DSi in a

DMiz

Really, REALLY tempted to pick up those retro design cases, despite the fact that I already own several cases already.

milkham

Don't these types of cases typically scratch the unit?

this is a tpu case like they have for phones, its softer but still a bit rigid, not hard plastic so you shouldn't have the same kind of problem as with those hard clear plastic cases getting crap under them and scratching your system up.

Tyeforce

I'm in a similar situation to you, OP. I just got the Zelda 3DS XL awhile back, and while it's not my first 3DS XL, it's the first one that I really want to make sure I protect well (after scratching my Pikachu 3DS XL...). I'm going to get some HORI screen protectors for it, of course, and I'm contemplating getting Ghost Armor put on the system itself as well for extra protection (anyone here have any experience with that?). But most importantly is a case. I'm looking for a very specific case, one that I can't seem to find anywhere at all.

I'm looking for a 3DS XL case that can act as a holster of sorts, something that I can fasten or clip to my belt/pants, that isn't too bulky, allows for easy access to the system (just flip open the top and pull it out), and can hold a few 3DS games as well (at least 3). I've been searching the Internet and every local retailer like crazy, but to no avail—so it is now that I see this thread and turn to you, GAF. PLEASE help me end this quest for the perfect 3DS XL case if possible! My Zelda 3DS XL has been sitting in its box all this time because I haven't been able to find the equipment I want to protect it with!

I've managed to find ONE case that is sort of what I'm looking for, but I don't like the feel of it, and I'd much prefer to find a higher quality case. The case in question is the Mini Elite Transporter for Nintendo 3DS.
It does fit the 3DS XL, but it's a tight fit, and the interior worries me. It feels like it would end up scratching my system, and that's certainly not what I want. But if I could find something similar to this with a higher quality interior, that would be AMAZING.

So help me, GAF! Please! I just want to use my Zelda 3DS XL! :(

I have the Nintendo pouch but I hardly use it because my 3DS XL is almost always in these grips.

sku_170558_1.jpg

Is DX the only place you can get that? They take so long to ship... I've been wanting a controller grip for a good long while now, but then I wouldn't be able to use the charging cradle. Hmm.

DMiz

I was super tempted to pick up that Famicon Red case until I realized that it's out of stock. :^( Does anybody know if there's any other good retailers out there that carry them?

milkham

Went and got that 5 dollar kmart ds case today. it has two removable foam inserts to size it for it looks like either a ds or a dsi, but a regular 3ds fits fine with either foam insert. pull out the insert and an XL fits with a little bit of wiggle room on each side. The cartridge slots won't fit a 3ds cart but it looks like it should be pretty simple to modify with an xacto knife.

11299084596_8f4ee1bb44_b.jpg
11299113484_2406afccd3_b.jpg
11299055405_7550ee7196_b.jpg

Tyeforce

I'm in a similar situation to you, OP. I just got the Zelda 3DS XL awhile back, and while it's not my first 3DS XL, it's the first one that I really want to make sure I protect well (after scratching my Pikachu 3DS XL...). I'm going to get some HORI screen protectors for it, of course, and I'm contemplating getting Ghost Armor put on the system itself as well for extra protection (anyone here have any experience with that?). But most importantly is a case. I'm looking for a very specific case, one that I can't seem to find anywhere at all.

I'm looking for a 3DS XL case that can act as a holster of sorts, something that I can fasten or clip to my belt/pants, that isn't too bulky, allows for easy access to the system (just flip open the top and pull it out), and can hold a few 3DS games as well (at least 3). I've been searching the Internet and every local retailer like crazy, but to no avail—so it is now that I see this thread and turn to you, GAF. PLEASE help me end this quest for the perfect 3DS XL case if possible! My Zelda 3DS XL has been sitting in its box all this time because I haven't been able to find the equipment I want to protect it with!

I've managed to find ONE case that is sort of what I'm looking for, but I don't like the feel of it, and I'd much prefer to find a higher quality case. The case in question is the Mini Elite Transporter for Nintendo 3DS.

It does fit the 3DS XL, but it's a tight fit, and the interior worries me. It feels like it would end up scratching my system, and that's certainly not what I want. But if I could find something similar to this with a higher quality interior, that would be AMAZING.

So help me, GAF! Please! I just want to use my Zelda 3DS XL! :(
Nobody...? T__T

Also, I see that the Monster Hunter case in the OP is pretty much what I'm looking for...but I'd like something that's not Monster Hunter, lol. >.>

AwRy108

I use the Official Nintendo System Wallet for DSi XL, and I think it works quite well. However, the elastic strap that wraps around the case to keep it closed is slowly wearing away from rubbing on the edges of the case; in other words: don't expect it to last forever, so price shop accordingly.

Mononoke

Banned

The Cityslicker is amazing quality, with a good amount of padding, slots for 3 games, and stretchy mesh zippered pouch on the back. A nice touch is there's a little loop on the bottom edge of the case to aid when pulling the system out. It doesn't squeeze the system tightly but pulling out the 3ds does seem to either turn the volume all the way up or all the way down depending on the orientation. It was a bit of a squeeze but I was able to get an ac adapter into the back mesh pouch. That might not work for UK plugs. The cityslicker almost feels like a little purse, there are even two loops on the sides which you could slide a couple D-rings through if you want to hook a shoulder strap to it.

11211749424_edeeb95c05_b.jpg

11211749525_467ea32285_b.jpg

11211749365_3334f5ba7e_b.jpg

11211749584_f516816b36_b.jpg

The Suede Jacket is much simpler, just a tight fitting sleeve with a mesh pocket on the outside. It is tight enough that getting the 3ds in and out right now is a little fiddly, I wish it had a loop on the bottom for pulling it off like the Cityslicker does. That will probably improve with time as it stretches out a bit though.

11211876393_ea6a8ed93d_b.jpg

11211876443_328c214132_b.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for a gift for my brother (I already bought him the Zelda 3DS XL for Christmas). This should go along nicely with it. I actually need a case myself for my Zelda 3DS XL. This looks quality.

milkham

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for a gift for my brother (I already bought him the Zelda 3DS XL for Christmas). This should go along nicely with it. I actually need a case myself for my Zelda 3DS XL. This looks quality.

hey np. bonus feature i didn't notice until now, the zipper locks in position depending on how you have the pull tab oriented!

Animal

Banned
I have a club nintendo blue pouch but I want something like the official nintendo case for the 2DS but for the 3DS XL by nintendo.

Tyeforce

I've been wondering about cases since I'm getting a black XL next Thursday. I'm either going to get the DSiXL case or the pull n go.

Heres a link for the pull n go for the OP - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KPBHKS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit - Apparently there is a foam insert you can remove to make the XL fit in the pull n go. It's in the customer reviews.
Does anyone who has used the Pull and Go Folio know if the smaller case inside has a loop or something on the back that you would be able to clip to your belt? This might just be the case I'm looking for! Dunno how the nice the inside of the case is or not, though.

mrkgoo

None.

I used to use a pouch when out and about, but once honey moon period with new toy was over, I just throw it around and chuck it in my bag.

A friend put some aluminium cases on his and always assumed that wifi was just bad or spotty to his room, but one day found out that it was those cases blocking the signal.

Top Bottom