• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the most immersive moments that you ever experienced in a video game?

Drizzlehell

Banned
My friend once told me a story about how he played Silent Hunter 2 without using the in-game time compression, instead opting for a real-time simulation that he would leave running in the background while he did something else. He would even keep it running as he slept, with the sounds of the engines humming in the night to provide a fully immersive U-Boot experience.

It amazes me how willingly we used to give up our time to do shit like that when we were teeenagers, lol.

Anyway, that's probably the most extreme (and weirdest) example that I remember but obviously most of us will simply have those type of gaming moments without LARPing in IRL like that. I'm mostly speaking about the times when you were so completely engrossed in the game that there was nothing else in the world except the screen in front of you, and your imagination was running wild.

Like the time when you found yourself caught in a raging thunderstorm in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat. As you nervously made your way towards your flickering home base in the dead of night, the sounds of monsters lurking in the darkness kept you on edge. Or the time when you explored the dark and winding tunnels of Metro Last Light, your imagination running wild with every shadow and creak you encountered. And what about the time when you were dead-focused on hunting rabbits in Kingdom Come, where the forest around you felt so real you could almost smell it?

Admittedly, many of those gaming moments were only achievable for me when I was stoned because that was the only time when my racing thoughts could slow down enough to actually pay attention to small things like that, but still, it was as unforgettable as you could get.

Mr.Phoenix

You can actually do that?

I wonder if I could pull it off in GT7 in VR, lol.
Yup...I completed it in about 36-40hrs though. You can pause.

As for GT7, I am not playing that game currently because I want to build a proper racing cockpit. Complete with YawVR2, PSVR2 and everything, and then...oh yes, I am definitely gonna try that. Just saving my pennies.

SeraphJan

Try to complete every Hitman game with Silent Assassin ranking blind(without guide, hint or backseating), trust me you will rarely find a more immersive experience

In the Reboot Trilogy you also need to turn guided mission feature off, that option completely ruined the original vision of the game to please wider audience.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
As a VR owner, prepare for VR titles.

GT7 VR as a whole. More immersive will be only a track day.

HL Alyx Zoo was just top-notch from top to bottom.

RE7/RE8 VR are prime-time of the medium. Especially RE7 cameraman segments and RE8 House Beneviento.

If we talk about 2D-titles, launch adjusted... Well, Immersive Sims are here for ya. Bioshock Intro is just unbeatable. Prey is making you truly nervous all 40 hours of your walkthrough. Dishonored 1 and 2 immerse you fully into a truly unfamiliar and strange world where you actually ecstatic to learn the antics. Also Dark Messiah and Might and Magic. While crude by modern standarts, never before or after first-person RPG was so body-aware and fluidly animated to immerse you into the fantasy swordfights or magic battles. Hell, you can still feel every move of Saref's body even through let's plays. Too bad the game is kinda annoying to launch on modern systems.

Hohorable mentions: TLoU series and Ghost of Tsushima. Clickers back in 2013 were downright terrifying. And Tsushima is prime-time samurai experience, you can actually FEEL every strike of your Katana, you can breathe the atmosphere of Feudal Japan. Absolutlery breathtaking experience despite some structural OW falws.

Holammer

Valheim gave me some real immersive vibes.
The setting is so Swedish, It's almost like going to the woods. Except there's no dew and wet moss to get your shoes wet.

B0D871512148D50B4ED2C0EE525A6AC691ECF937

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
As a VR owner, prepare for VR titles.

GT7 VR as a whole. More immersive will be only a track day.

HL Alyx Zoo was just top-notch from top to bottom.

RE7/RE8 VR are prime-time of the medium. Especially RE7 cameraman segments and RE8 House Beneviento.

If we talk about 2D-titles, launch adjusted... Well, Immersive Sims are here for ya. Bioshock Intro is just unbeatable. Prey is making you truly nervous all 40 hours of your walkthrough. Dishonored 1 and 2 immerse you fully into a truly unfamiliar and strange world where you actually ecstatic to learn the antics. Also Dark Messiah and Might and Magic. While crude by modern standarts, never before or after first-person RPG was so body-aware and fluidly animated to immerse you into the fantasy swordfights or magic battles. Hell, you can still feel every move of Saref's body even through let's plays. Too bad the game is kinda annoying to launch on modern systems.

Hohorable mentions: TLoU series and Ghost of Tsushima. Clickers back in 2013 were downright terrifying. And Tsushima is prime-time samurai experience, you can actually FEEL every strike of your Katana, you can breathe the atmosphere of Feudal Japan. Absolutlery breathtaking experience despite some structural OW falws.
Agree with your shout-outs all around. Just wanted to add that the opening of Goats of Sushi-mama when it first lets you loose on your horse on the wide-open field is easily one of my favorite moments of last gen. Can't believe some people might still argue video games aren't art when experiences like that exist.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Arizona Sunshine, which is a VR game.

I’m going through a bunch of abandoned vehicles, and for anyone that hasn’t tried VR, the vehicles are life size. I’m physically reaching out and opening the doors and trunks.

A car alarm on one of the vehicles goes off and I beeline it to a sheriff’s station that was there. In the station I peer through the windows as you would in real life - watching the zombies shamble around outside. Trapped inside I decide to pick them off. I open the Front door by just a crack and point my gun through that opening and fire off some rounds killing some zombies.

Nothing else has come close.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Agree with your shout-outs all around. Just wanted to add that the opening of Goats of Sushi-mama when it first lets you loose on your horse on the wide-open field is easily one of my favorite moments of last gen. Can't believe some people might still argue video games aren't art when experiences like that exist.
Ah yes, 'This game will be remembered as a landmark of the generation' moment.

But GoT is an Enviroment tour-de-force all around, really. There's simply no ugly places there.

I can't really describe the moments using words. The best way to experience them is to play the games, interact with the game systems to take in whatever the games are delivering

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Opening of Half Life.
Playing both players in Operation Thunderbolt arcade.
Crysis going up over that ridge.
Getting my head chainsawed off for the first time in RE4

But yeah VR is king here.
Playing Zombies for the first time in Pavlov and panicking and dropping my gun and getting eaten while frantically scrambling around on the floor trying to pick it up.
Flight sim - basically any of the Discovery flights.
Any driving game - being unable to drive full speed at a wall without breaking at the last second.
Cubism - hand tracking and pass through, just chucking blocks around my room for 5 minutes.

Edit: forgot R360 arcade, going upside down in the game making you go upside down in real life is pretty immersive.

Last edited:

farmerboy

The final summit to the mountain in Journey with anonymous partner in tow was truly immersive. I was so in that moment, making sure not to lose sight of my partner whilst negotiating the storm and wondering what was ahead. A real treat and one I'll probably never forget.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Was playing an adult games years ago and when I was “done” it crashed. Can’t beat that ;)

lukilladog

Lately it has to be MotoGP22, never before played a game that made me clear that sometimes I'm just tired and done for that day (due to sub optimal lap times and mistakes), despite having the thing pretty much dominated.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
TLOU 2. When you do the the tower level with
Abby
I just did the level from top to bottom at once. Amazing level and so strong. Can't explain why. I just loved it.
And the
end with Abby. You are between both camps and have to escape. I choose to do it without killing anyone. Spent hours crawling, finding ways to go and even running away at some point. Just perfect as I did most of TLOU2 trying to kill everyone. But there I choose not to kill my old camrades. And could not kill the other camp as my new friend was from this group.

darrylgorn

Two moments that come to mind.

The first one was playing LOTRO, in one of the opening forested areas. No music, just the sound of nature and the occasional NPC walking by or chopping wood in the distance.

The second was, similarly, walking through an environment with no music. This time it was in Cyberpunk 2077, along the street, hearing the occasional traffic and socializing in the background. In that case, the 'walk' and 'don't walk' voice as you're crossing the road also did a great deal to add to the immersion.

Last edited:

Mokus

GTA3. I played before the GTA2 and I thought it's fun little game. Years later I overheard friends talking about GTA3 but I thought it's mostly similar to the previous games. But when I saw it for the first time (on PC) I was in awe. I never thought that video games ever could get so immersive gameplaywise.

I think i'm going to go with Vanilla WoW.

I played PVE and i was completely sucked in that world, to the point where i didn't even care what happens IRL for a whole year at least.
I can definitely resonate. I think part of the reason I am nostalgic is that the vanilla wow memories were so endearing to me.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
RDR2. All of it.

I get that it's not for everyone. It plays like complete ass, intentionally. But if you're able to get past that, never before has a game made me unconsciously roleplay in the way that I did in RDR2. I'd find myself walking because it just didn't feel right to run. Find myself just going on wilderness and hunting hikes/camps with no goal. Walking into the camp and towns to have story beat unfold naturally without cuts to hard black. Get lost in the little side activities like getting drunk and cheating at poker in a town, not because it was an objective marker or achievement, but because it felt great to do so.

Drizzlehell

Banned
TLOU 2. When you do the the tower level with
Abby
I just did the level from top to bottom at once. Amazing level and so strong. Can't explain why. I just loved it.
And the
end with Abby. You are between both camps and have to escape. I choose to do it without killing anyone. Spent hours crawling, finding ways to go and even running away at some point. Just perfect as I did most of TLOU2 trying to kill everyone. But there I choose not to kill my old camrades. And could not kill the other camp as my new friend was from this group.
Yeah, that was like the only part of the game that I actually enjoyed. The atmosphere and the dramatic feel of the situation was amazing and for that brief section, I was laser-focused on the game because sneaking around and picking off dudes while everything around me was turning into total chaos was just so intense that I managed to forget about the horrible story, lol.

Trunx81

Red Dead Redemption. When Marston is home with his family, the thunder storm is lighting the night and everything is at peace. I just kept this moment a bit longer, knowing what would happen in the end. Letting him enjoy a little bit of happiness.

Trilobit

RDR2. All of it.

I love, absolutely love, that they chose that path of realism. It's not a game you'll want to rush. When you allow yourself to play it like it wants to be played it's insanely immersive. Those moments by the fire in the camp or the times you were fishing in the middle of the night were something else. I had a few glasses of whiskey myself when I was in a saloon drinking and playing cards. I truly hope we get a sequel one day, even if it's ten years in the future!

tumblr_pn3gm4TRUH1y1vziho2_500.gif

SeraphJan

The fact that everyone was tripping over themselves to throw roses at The Last of Us 2's feet while completely ignoring this absolutely beautiful game is a prime example of what the fuck is wrong with modern games media.
Somehow critics sees the opposite, sadly game criticism and ranking are currently gatekept by a small group of elitists instead of the IMDB model for movies.

No offense to TLOU2 by the way, but diversity is also important

Last edited:

itsnotme

RDR2. All of it.

I get that it's not for everyone. It plays like complete ass, intentionally. But if you're able to get past that, never before has a game made me unconsciously roleplay in the way that I did in RDR2. I'd find myself walking because it just didn't feel right to run. Find myself just going on wilderness and hunting hikes/camps with no goal. Walking into the camp and towns to have story beat unfold naturally without cuts to hard black. Get lost in the little side activities like getting drunk and cheating at poker in a town, not because it was an objective marker or achievement, but because it felt great to do so.

What a wonderful game.
I would also like to add the first half of Elden ring

Mozzarella

I dont understand this topic, its about the most immersive moments, but some posts give examples that i think are far from being immersive.
Maybe i dont understand the meaning of the term immersive quite well? i think it means that you feel the you are in the game's world basically and it makes you forget your real life surroundings by soaking you into the game's atmosphere and world.
Idk if thats the case i can give example, otherwise i'll pass.

Flabagast

Descending into the Abyss in SOMA must be the most harrowing experience I ever lived in a video game.

The sound, the visuals, the implications of what you just learned, the absolute desperation. It was the perfect storm.

I am 100% sure that I will never live something as strong in any other game to come.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I dont understand this topic, its about the most immersive moments, but some posts give examples that i think are far from being immersive.
Maybe i dont understand the meaning of the term immersive quite well? i think it means that you feel the you are in the game's world basically and it makes you forget your real life surroundings by soaking you into the game's atmosphere and world.
Idk if thats the case i can give example, otherwise i'll pass.
I think you may be overthinking it a bit. I explained what I meant and provided a couple of examples of what I meant but I won't nag everyone ITT for how they chose to interpret it, however you think you should answer is fine with me, I just want to hear other people's stories.

Fredrik

Just picking stuff up to build a tower or smack an inn sign etc in Skyrim VR with HIGGS and VRIK brings a smile to my face. Unfortunately it can make me motion sick so that’s the downside to all that immersion.

RDR2, it controls like crap but without a doubt it has one of the most immersive game worlds ever.

Cyberpunk 2077 have superb immersion as well with the no camera cuts focus.

Pathologic 2 first couple of days, dark souls 1 new Londo ruins and blight town, botw road to the water city, elden ring limgrave/liurnia/weeping

Shout out to vampire survivors for being a dopamine receptors frying sim

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Ill go with Sin and Punishment Star Successor on the Wii.
Sensory overload with all the aiming, dodging, flying, charging, slashing - in combination with the wii controls (which I usually hate except for this one, single game) make it a completely unique experience.
I donno, to me, playing that game with skill is intimidating and daunting and requires a different train of thought from almost all other games.

Top Bottom