• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the most immersive moments that you ever experienced in a video game?

trikster40

I think i'm going to go with Vanilla WoW.

I played PVE and i was completely sucked in that world, to the point where i didn't even care what happens IRL for a whole year at least.
Same for me, except EQ. At the time, I was living with my brother and best friend, and we had one PC. We took 8 hour shifts, man, that was awesome. Responsibility sucks, wish I could go back to that time when the only thing that mattered was having money to buy bread and PBJ.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Descending into the Abyss in SOMA must be the most harrowing experience I ever lived in a video game.

The sound, the visuals, the implications of what you just learned, the absolute desperation. It was the perfect storm.

I am 100% sure that I will never live something as strong in any other game to come.
My man!

I'd hasten to say it was certainly one of the best in 30+ years i'd played. The sad thing is out of all the folks I know and asked to play, none of them ever did

Utter philistines.

Shenmue, original Resident Evil 2, the Tanker in MGS2, Silent Hill 2, MGS3, Splinter Cell, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Breath of the Wild.

Zannegan

Not to pun, but paddling around in Endless Ocean 2 for the Wii (rough as the graphics were, even in their time) for no reward other than discovering a new area or photographing some new sea creature was absolutely engrossing. Shark attack animations were stupid and immersion-breaking, but everything else was great.

On a related note, I'm dying to play subnautica one of these days. I'm just afraid I'll get so immersed in the diving/building loop that I'll never come back. Lol.

Descending into the Abyss in SOMA must be the most harrowing experience I ever lived in a video game.

The sound, the visuals, the implications of what you just learned, the absolute desperation. It was the perfect storm.

I am 100% sure that I will never live something as strong in any other game to come.

I'm finally getting around to my first go round with SOMA. The atmosphere is just so oppressive, more than I can remember of another game.

For me, it was Skyrim. I had just bought a surround sound system and was playing the game on the PS3. I never used fast-travel, only walked or rode horse everywhere. The sounds and music combined with the landscape was an experience that I’ll always remember fondly. I’ve yet to find anything like it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Various points of Uncharted 4.

Everything in the Rat King sequence of TLOU2.

Stepping outside of Midgar for the first time and realizing that the gritty bizarre perverted and dark game that you thought you had just beaten the final dungeon to is actually just starting, and now the training wheels are off. First RPG I ever played, so the concepts of "RPG's take about 100 hours to complete," and "overworld," were completely new to me.

Ocarina of Time was my first videogame, so naturally, everything after you leave Link's house wowed the shit out of me. I was such a gaming novice that I'd take too long jumping across the collapsing platform in the room with the Slingshot that I'd fall to the ground and not have enough gaming situational awareness to know that I could climb the vines or just leave the room and reset the puzzle. My dumb little kid ass restarted the game three times, thinking that whatever was in that treasure chest was missed for the entire game. Sounds silly now, but to be in a completely new environment and just learning the rules to gaming in general, short hand shit that we take for granted once the hobby clicks - like looking for alternate solutions or learning about zoning and how to reset puzzles or respond enemies. Learning how to find items in tall grass, ditzing around on the Ocarina. Waiting for the Sun to almost go down so you pimp that fishing pond in the Twilight with no BGM playing. Good example of Nintendo's skill with taking a small piece of land and just FILLING it with engaging scenarios, gameplay and secrets. It's like a kiddie pool built on top of the Marianas trench.

Mozzarella

I think you may be overthinking it a bit. I explained what I meant and provided a couple of examples of what I meant but I won't nag everyone ITT for how they chose to interpret it, however you think you should answer is fine with me, I just want to hear other people's stories.
In this case:

1- One example is from playing Stalker Call of Pripyat, its at the start of the game and there was a moment where to factions where making a deal and things go wrong so a shooting happens, then after it ended i sat there soaking atmosphere, a storm happened, it was frightening and epic at the same time.
2- Amnesia TDD: the moment i was in the storage, very dark place, incredibly tense and terrifying atmosphere, i remember running to the last door past the monster, one of them hit me, literally my heart almost dropped, it was one of the most terrifying moments in any horror games for me, luckily i escaped but my screen was red, as in i was wounded, but that place was like a nightmare and boy it did deliver.
3- Dishonored: Overseer mission, first time i arrive at Dunwall as an assassin, nighttime and rain, soaked a lot of atmosphere, it was at that moment i knew im in for a very special experience.
4- Bloodborne: Forbidden Woods, as if Yharnam isn't impressive and atmospheric enough, just as i left for the wood, a scary place at the time, near the bridge, very immersive, i felt im living a nightmare there, the WTF moment where it connects to the clinic was one of the best moments in the game for me, the alien like creatures and the atmosphere of the woods are the best thing about it.
5- Skyrim: a moment near Solitude, finished a quest for the trader company, i remember climbing at the highest point of the ship and soaking the atmosphere, pretty immersive moment for me, it was raining in the game and had a good ambient music, i think i love it when it rains in games lol. Also the first time i hit the Auriel's Bow into the sun, blocking it and turning the sky into a blood moon, was something memorable.
6- Witcher 3: After the gwent tournament quest, i banged Sasha and Geralt wakes up in that room, a dim lit place, rain outside, you hear the raindrops on the window, with light on the street outside, music was turned off for some reason, i just stood there for literally 10 minutes, same thing happened in Toussaint, the quest for Anna, search for the golden egg, you get it from the lake, around evening time, the people of Beauclaire are celebrating a holiday or something, you see all the lighs in the lake, everyone is partying, good background ambience, very immersive moment, i dont think im going to forget the image.
7- RDR2: First time in chapter 2, i sit at the camp and drink coffee and admire the view, i did the same in chapter 3 too, sadly after Chapter 4 games goes downhill, this is why i kept a save file from chapter 2.
8- Hitman: Sapienza: Politician mission: You get there and someone is singing a song in Italian, the weather is nice, its evening time which is my favorite, Agent 47 blends in, i legit stood there until all the songs ended, like 10-15 minutes, soaking in all the atmosphere, i forgot about the game for a moment, great moment.
9- Elden Ring: first time i arrived at the Volcano, pretty good change, i got teleported there, a red mansion, a hellish one, i just thought im into this weird place and i loved it.
10- Kingdom Come Deliverance: Walking through the forest at night or at day, doesnt matter, its very immersive, you gotta try it to understand.

There is many more, i may come back later.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
In this case:

1- One example is from playing Stalker Call of Pripyat, its at the start of the game and there was a moment where to factions where making a deal and things go wrong so a shooting happens, then after it ended i sat there soaking atmosphere, a storm happened, it was frightening and epic at the same time.
2- Amnesia TDD: the moment i was in the storage, very dark place, incredibly tense and terrifying atmosphere, i remember running to the last door past the monster, one of them hit me, literally my heart almost dropped, it was one of the most terrifying moments in any horror games for me, luckily i escaped but my screen was red, as in i was wounded, but that place was like a nightmare and boy it did deliver.
3- Dishonored: Overseer mission, first time i arrive at Dunwall as an assassin, nighttime and rain, soaked a lot of atmosphere, it was at that moment i knew im in for a very special experience.
4- Bloodborne: Forbidden Woods, as if Yharnam isn't impressive and atmospheric enough, just as i left for the wood, a scary place at the time, near the bridge, very immersive, i felt im living a nightmare there, the WTF moment where it connects to the clinic was one of the best moments in the game for me, the alien like creatures and the atmosphere of the woods are the best thing about it.
5- Skyrim: a moment near Solitude, finished a quest for the trader company, i remember climbing at the highest point of the ship and soaking the atmosphere, pretty immersive moment for me, it was raining in the game and had a good ambient music, i think i love it when it rains in games lol. Also the first time i hit the Auriel's Bow into the sun, blocking it and turning the sky into a blood moon, was something memorable.
6- Witcher 3: After the gwent tournament quest, i banged Sasha and Geralt wakes up in that room, a dim lit place, rain outside, you hear the raindrops on the window, with light on the street outside, music was turned off for some reason, i just stood there for literally 10 minutes, same thing happened in Toussaint, the quest for Anna, search for the golden egg, you get it from the lake, around evening time, the people of Beauclaire are celebrating a holiday or something, you see all the lighs in the lake, everyone is partying, good background ambience, very immersive moment, i dont think im going to forget the image.
7- RDR2: First time in chapter 2, i sit at the camp and drink coffee and admire the view, i did the same in chapter 3 too, sadly after Chapter 4 games goes downhill, this is why i kept a save file from chapter 2.
8- Hitman: Sapienza: Politician mission: You get there and someone is singing a song in Italian, the weather is nice, its evening time which is my favorite, Agent 47 blends in, i legit stood there until all the songs ended, like 10-15 minutes, soaking in all the atmosphere, i forgot about the game for a moment, great moment.
9- Elden Ring: first time i arrived at the Volcano, pretty good change, i got teleported there, a red mansion, a hellish one, i just thought im into this weird place and i loved it.
10- Kingdom Come Deliverance: Walking through the forest at night or at day, doesnt matter, its very immersive, you gotta try it to understand.

There is many more, i may come back later.
The sound design in Amnesia always impressed me to no end. It was so surreal and unnerving that half the time I couldn't even put my finger on what it was supposed to be or where it was coming from, but it added so much to the frightening atmosphere of the game.

Anyway, solid list. Thanks for sharing.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Various points of Uncharted 4.

Everything in the Rat King sequence of TLOU2.

Stepping outside of Midgar for the first time and realizing that the gritty bizarre perverted and dark game that you thought you had just beaten the final dungeon to is actually just starting, and now the training wheels are off. First RPG I ever played, so the concepts of "RPG's take about 100 hours to complete," and "overworld," were completely new to me.

Ocarina of Time was my first videogame, so naturally, everything after you leave Link's house wowed the shit out of me. I was such a gaming novice that I'd take too long jumping across the collapsing platform in the room with the Slingshot that I'd fall to the ground and not have enough gaming situational awareness to know that I could climb the vines or just leave the room and reset the puzzle. My dumb little kid ass restarted the game three times, thinking that whatever was in that treasure chest was missed for the entire game. Sounds silly now, but to be in a completely new environment and just learning the rules to gaming in general, short hand shit that we take for granted once the hobby clicks - like looking for alternate solutions or learning about zoning and how to reset puzzles or respond enemies. Learning how to find items in tall grass, ditzing around on the Ocarina. Waiting for the Sun to almost go down so you pimp that fishing pond in the Twilight with no BGM playing. Good example of Nintendo's skill with taking a small piece of land and just FILLING it with engaging scenarios, gameplay and secrets. It's like a kiddie pool built on top of the Marianas trench.
Yeah, I wasn't the sharpest kid either when I was first introduced to 3D gaming, lol. The first PC game that I played was Phantom Menace and I would spend literal months trying to figure out how to beat individual levels because I was just too dumb to figure out even the most basic puzzles or understand that you can perform certain actions such as shimmy across ledges or vines. It was a big learning experience for me as a gamer during my formative years but I still had fun because I just loved that sense of discovery every time I figured out another puzzle or found some way to progress just a little bit further, and then replaying and perfecting the sections that I was already familiar with. It was Star Wars so of course I was happy to just be in that world and cutting down droids over and over. It was awesome.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not to pun, but paddling around in Endless Ocean 2 for the Wii (rough as the graphics were, even in their time) for no reward other than discovering a new area or photographing some new sea creature was absolutely engrossing. Shark attack animations were stupid and immersion-breaking, but everything else was great.

On a related note, I'm dying to play subnautica one of these days. I'm just afraid I'll get so immersed in the diving/building loop that I'll never come back. Lol.
Subnautica is awesome. I highly recommend that you should... dive in.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Just picking stuff up to build a tower or smack an inn sign etc in Skyrim VR with HIGGS and VRIK brings a smile to my face. Unfortunately it can make me motion sick so that’s the downside to all that immersion.

RDR2, it controls like crap but without a doubt it has one of the most immersive game worlds ever.

Cyberpunk 2077 have superb immersion as well with the no camera cuts focus.
Modded Skyrim in VR is fucking incredible. There's so much random stuff that's possible to do with it. I remember the first time I grabbed the carriage driver by his leg, threw him to the ground, and then grabbed him by the collar and smashed his face in, it was so awesome that I couldn't believe in the level of interactivity that's possible with these mods. Easily one of the most impressive games to play in VR.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, I wasn't the sharpest kid either when I was first introduced to 3D gaming, lol. The first PC game that I played was Phantom Menace and I would spend literal months trying to figure out how to beat individual levels because I was just too dumb to figure out even the most basic puzzles or understand that you can perform certain actions such as shimmy across ledges or vines. It was a big learning experience for me as a gamer during my formative years but I still had fun because I just loved that sense of discovery every time I figured out another puzzle or found some way to progress just a little bit further, and then replaying and perfecting the sections that I was already familiar with. It was Star Wars so of course I was happy to just be in that world and cutting down droids over and over. It was awesome.

I'll always kind of look back fondly at those times. Every gamer has that period of time where they're still learning the "language," of videogames. Hell, I remember when I first got my N64, I'd end up with terrible cramps in both hands from holding the controller. I was such a young lamb.

There was a moment, years ago, in Witcher 3, where I was choosing a dialogue option while talking to somebody in Novigrad and in the background, behind their shoulder, a guard was stood in a doorway shuffling his feet and lounging about. The sun came from behind a cloud and his helmet glinted for a second before the sky darkened again and I swear he looked up. I have never felt a video game environment to feel so real as it did in that moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom