• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just rebooted the latest God of War.

This game is weird. I mean, it‘s hard to deny the quality and all but 1 hour in and I already know why I hesitated to replay it for so long… There is just waaaaaaaayyyyy to many things to collect. It‘s so hard to get into some kind of flow with this game and it‘s story when you‘re constantly bombarded with stuff to collect…

Yumi

Fallout 4. Originally didn’t like it cause it didn’t feel like a Fallout game, dialogue choices were laughable and didn’t seem to have any impact.

Listened to a podcast that said it’s the worst Fallout game, but the best Bethesda game.

Playing it that way I’m enjoying it a lot. Focusing on upgrading equipment and just having a super tough protag has made it much more enjoyable.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finally beat Perfect Dark in perfect agent. That was both challenging and very fun, surely a game that's still worth a playthrough today.

I'm now playing God Hand. Game's a powertrip but it also knows how to kick the player's ass.

Edit: decided to dust off my vr set and played 2 hours of Pistol Whip. Fun as fuck, makes you feel like a badass, and I feel like I've burnt some calories while having fun.

Last edited:

lucius

Dying Light : on my Series X Halo edition, I like 3rd person games over 1st person but a sale with all DLC for $14 I took a chance, turned off Chromatic Abomination and put camera sensitivity down a bit and it’s great fun might get into the series now. Because at first the camera and that AB effect was giving me a headache. Surprising game never paid attention to it before but I like the movement it’s like Mirrors Edge but more fun. Has FPS boost on by default too.

Last edited:
Probably gonna finish Phantasy Star IV today; only things left are the Anger Tower on Rykros (it's optional but I want Megid), picking a 5th, and the final dungeon & final boss.

EDIT:

x0NbYtv.png

And officially completed. Chose Kyra for my 5th; I'll probably replay the final boss again with the remaining four just to see how they make it easier/harder and any various attack combinations.

Overall a very good and pretty traditional JRPG, but I'd consider it on the easier side overall (not that that's a bad thing). The dungeons had no traps/hazards and at least for me the bosses were pretty manageable. Thankfully the game never makes it feel like you're too overpowered due to item limits, certain item/tech/skill use limits (that reset when a char levels up), and doing a good job with enemy variety and grouping in the dungeons as you go along. It also has very few points where you feel like you need to grind (and maybe only one point where grinding seems necessary).

Most charming thing of it though are the characters; they're pretty well-written with good personalities and quirks. Of course they fall into expected archetypes but never feel cliche. Them and the story, while not overly rich in complexity, combined with good pacing (no filler) make it quite fun. And the music's pretty good, too (Tower is my favorite tune).

Not sure what my next JRPG will be but it will probably be something PS1-related. Maybe Lunar: The Silver Star Story (or Eternal Blue if that doesn't require playing SSS to understand the plot). Either that or Legend of Dragoon. But, I'll probably need to alternate some Moon: RPG Remix in there, to finish that game up.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Started Skyrim again. Saw something about stealth archer and just had to try it.
I'm in the same boat man.

I have a XSX & a PS5 and could be playing Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Forbidden West but no I got the Skyrim anniversary patch.

I guess my 464 hours weren't enough.

It's that music you know? On the main menu and as you're exploring the world. The NPCs and the quests.

I guess it's all about playing what we enjoy?

intbal

Alan Wake's American Nightmare

I skipped this one years ago when it came out.
So glad to finally see the actual ending of the first Alan Wake game.

just trying out random stuff. I tried Code Vein on GamePass. seems cool.

looking for a replacement for Genshin Impact. Tried out this Tales of Arise demo. Looked into the series. think i might scoop up one of the older Tales games when they go for cheap on PSN again.

Shai-Tan

Banned
via random game selection exe in gog galaxy am playing:

Yoku's Island express. not really a fan of pinball but I haven't played it in a while (last was pinball fx2 in vr in which I played each table once or twice). It's kind of fun I suppose

Grow Up. I'm slowly making progress on this but I think I prefer the simplicity of the first game (Grow Home). The floaty physics may be a turn off for some.

Grow Up also made me remember Bean Stalker, a VR game I bought and didn't seriously attempt to play until a few days ago. I think I bought it because the dev did an advertisement that probably cost them a decent amount of money and I felt bad for them when I saw a low steam review count but the game is actually pretty decent.

Thief1987

Trails of Cold Steel IV, returned more than a year later for the second playthrough to get that platinum trophy.

Last edited:

dave_d

Currently playing Infamous on the PS3 and just finished Prey 2006. (Kind of average-ish FPS with a really badly designed last level. Not recommended but then again you can't even buy it on steam.) Probably will start getting into Metroid Dread as my second game.

Winter John

I decided to play the Dragon Age games again. It's been years since I played them. I finished Origins. Graphically it can be rough but it's still one of the best rpgs of all time. The writing, the characters, the gameplay still stands up today. I just started DA2. By God it's garbage. It's impossible not to see how bad it is going straight in after DA1. It's almost as if it was made by a completely different studio. I've played a few hours and I'm going to download the 3rd one to see if it imports the story/character. If it does I'll keep playing DA2, otherwise it's getting dumped.

ssringo

Do you like classic Castlevania? Did you like Castlevania 2 or thought it had great ideas that weren't executed all that well?

Absolutely loving this. It's Castlevania 2 done well and with some more modern conveniences. Highly, highly recommend it. It's apparently available on all systems as well so console players should give it a look too!

Last night some stupidly Zen-like Sessions of "Tesla vs. Lovecraft" and "Tesla Force". Twin Stick Arena Shooters, man, they just suck the time out of the day.

Hestar69

Do you like classic Castlevania? Did you like Castlevania 2 or thought it had great ideas that weren't executed all that well?

Absolutely loving this. It's Castlevania 2 done well and with some more modern conveniences. Highly, highly recommend it. It's apparently available on all systems as well so console players should give it a look too!
For anyone that has xbox game pass it came to game pass yesterday. Pretty fun game so far!

other games I'm playing:

Cyberpunk 2077 on PC
PUBG & Apex on xbox

Waiting for Elden ring or else I would be diving back on Tales of arise.

728acd9859f813878ca7f1ec06b7e8d2.jpg

36106-ingame-Planet-Laika.jpg

Dkm0r__U4AAx52K.jpg

Looks like I might've found my next JRPG. English patch for Planet Laika is out now; you'll have to apply the patch yourself but the whole game's finally been translated.

Don't have an idea what it's really about, just that Quintet's the developer, it has anthropomorphic characters, is sci-fi, and is probably like some combination of FF/Koudelka/LSD:Dream Simulator.

Pretty excited about this one NGL.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've been playing a shit ton of Yugioh Master Duel. Still rocking my Toon deck and even stomping some meta decks. Occasionally hop on Zenith (VR MMO) to play when friends do.

Otherwise still a good amount of Siege and First Class Trouble for online.

For single player stuff I'm playing Far Cry 6, Hitman 3, and Puzzling Places (VR jigsaw puzzles).

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
728acd9859f813878ca7f1ec06b7e8d2.jpg

36106-ingame-Planet-Laika.jpg

Dkm0r__U4AAx52K.jpg

Looks like I might've found my next JRPG. English patch for Planet Laika is out now; you'll have to apply the patch yourself but the whole game's finally been translated.

Don't have an idea what it's really about, just that Quintet's the developer, it has anthropomorphic characters, is sci-fi, and is probably like some combination of FF/Koudelka/LSD:Dream Simulator.

Pretty excited about this one NGL.
Looks interesting, specially since it's from Quintet. Please, let us know what you think of the game once you put some hours into it.

Last edited:

MikeM

Ps5: NHL 22, NBA 2k22, Diablo 2, Far Cry 6, Destiny 2

Series X: Diablo 2, Crysis 3 Remastered, about 10 back compat games.

Not sure how I’m going to find time for Horizon.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Some games on PSVR and RE: Village in cinematic mode. That MMO Zenith is pretty fun, had some serious issues at first but they've been ironed out. It's like a somewhat janky BOTW FPS clone. It's bizarre but manages to work surprisingly well.

Wanted a break from the headset life though so I started up Twilight Princess HD, an old save from last year. Currently sitting at 55 hours, 20 hearts, Hero Mode. At the end game now, Hyrule Castle, but doing side quest stuff at the moment. Got all the golden bugs, only 4 Poe Souls left, after that I might try to go for all the Miiverse stamp chests. Also have to do the Cave of Ordeals. Such a great game, can't believe I've put as much into it as I have.

Looks interesting, specially since it's from Quintet. Please, let us know what you think of the game once you put some hours into it.

I shall; haven't actually patched a game myself before but IIRC programs like ImgBurn can be used for it. If I can do it successfully I aught to be able to start playing it over the weekend.

Illusion of Gaia is still one of my favorite Zelda-likes around, so yeah Quintet carries some great quality with their name.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm playing Sifu right now but I'm going to quit soon because I suck and that's making it repetitive. I don't have the energy to get gud. I may set it aside and play Cyberpunk beyond the character creator.

lachesis

I'm into chapter 7 of Yakuza 6.... and wrapping up some sub quests and mini games.

Although I see there are Zero, Kiwami etc in between this and 5... but 6 feels like a totally different game, all together, and I'm not sure if I like it at all.

It feels like everything's scaled down for some reason, yet there are ever more "filler" type contents or requirements. The battle feels... say, somewhat floaty - and Kiryu seems to move clunkier than ever, unable to lock onto the fast moving opponents - and it feels like he's not as strong as he used to be. I actually feel old by playing this game, which I am not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Janky physics is the weirdest ever - that I've seen so many enemies floating away while doing air-borne rolls and also saw some actual flying cars too. I appreciate the frame boost of XSX - but for some reason I get some hang-ups while roaming around the city too, and at some times it's like 1-2 second long, it feels like the game "crashed" on me.

Storywise - everyone's lying to me and I don't quite appreciate that they are so 2 faced... it looks like everyone came from Kyoto or sort. Cinematics seems to have some weird pacing issues too, that a lot of the times the dialogues seems to come out either too fast or too slow - as if there's some hickup in timing. Hirose himself is the saving grace that makes me laugh - but I won't be surprised even he's got something going on in the behind.

However, I am liking the environment/atmosphere the game has captured. It really shows how the Japanese rural cities struggle these days due to 30 year long stagnation/deflation - along with its losing population, how stale the society has become. All in the little details and all - and the feel of bright sunlight of Hiroshima & bright neon signs of Kabukicho... the game really delivers that atmosphere quite well - that I often admire the background, looking around. It just feels a bit sad because whatever going on within though, feels rather... say, focusless in a way.

The cabaret game also feels a bit weird too. I actually liked the Zero type, where the cast member had a good solid storyline going on & somewhat felt like you are making some sort of conversation & getting to know each other in a narrative way - but this one feels rather off/fragmented with this "chain" thing. I would have had less amount of ladies than this whole roaster of 5-6 of them too.

I'm sure by end of the game, my opinion may change - but at this point, I am not sure if this new approach worked, and am glad that 7 has gone into an entirely different route... even though I have yet to play and judge it myself.

BigBooper

Finished playing a long game of Skyrim, beating every major questline and getting almost all the achievements.

Played a couple of hours of Watch Dogs Legion before deleting it. Man what a turd of a game.

captainpat

3 hours final fantasy 7 remake on pc. So far having a blast. Glad I held out for the pc release. Even with the bugs the game still looks and plays pretty damn good. Also I just beat the original ff7 for the first time last year so it's been interest to be able to compare the differences between the remake and the original.

bender

What time is it?
Finally finished Cuphead. I bought it on three systems and always stopped around the first island. I'm not sure why. It's a wonderful game.

I'm trying to muscle my way through Deedlit before it leaves Game Pass. I know it got a lot of buzz when it released on PC last year but I can't say it's doing much for me. The Ikaruga concept is neat I guess.

I started up Prey (2006) and boy has that game aged poorly.

I've almost wrapped up Unpacking. I'm a pretty disorganized person so it feels more like a chore than anything else. I do like how it tells a story without an implicit narrative. I'm not a fan of the pixel art.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I'm still playing Tales of Arise, I'm nearly at the 5th Lord. Surely there's not much left to go.

I also got back into God of War II and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Last edited:

Cryio

Need for Speed Carbon via RPCS3.
It took me 16 years to find out Carbon has the best version on PS3 of all platforms. Not X360, not PC.

GrayDock

Finished Fenyx Rising and it was good. Pretty visuals (PS5 @4k), some nice jokes, some really good puzzles and it's nice to play, but it becomes kind repetitive if you go for the platinum...
Started Jedi Fallen Order and it's a good Star Wars Uncharted. The visuals are kind dated, a lot of bugs (no shadows in places, some weird clipping, some hits don't register), awesome audio and good playability overall. Will try to platinum it, but Horizon arriving next week and Elden ring next will probably delay that for a while...

Rippa

Since this past Black Friday, I’ve gone on to beat Blood and Truth, AstroBot, Moss (all on PSVR), Resident Evil Village, Gears of War Hivebusters DLC and I just got Platinum on Returnal.

I didn’t think I would like it as much as I did. I think the game would’ve been better designed as an outright platform adventure game with a proper save system. I guess you can treat it as such if you save scum throughout the game. All-in-all, It is the best 3D Metroid-like game.

Now onto Little Nightmares 2…

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Finally went back to beat HZD before HFW drops on Friday. Life and work issues stopped me from doing anything additional. Feels good to have got it done just in the nick of time before the sequel.

G-Bus

Banned
Just deep rock galactic since release on PS. Don't have much time to play these days.

Managed to promote an engineer and really wanted to get a deep dive in before Horizon FW takes over all my game time. Might do that tonight.

DRG will stay on my ps5 for a long time. So much fun.

Modrot

Currently juggling Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (own this game twice, should tell you enough), Infernax (fantastic "Zeldavania"), and Pokémon Legends Arceus.

Currently leveling a sorcerer arisen and fighter pawn, have already looped story once and going for another one and then switching to hard mode.

Infernax was a great surprise. Controls fantastically, superb music, has a sense of humor, and overall a really enjoyable gameplay loop.

Arceus is a breath of fresh air but I still get " Pokémon " fatigue when playing it (last Pokémon game I played before this was Soul Silver, many moons ago).

stn

I platted Shenmue 2 HD (PS4) recently, now working Star Wars Jedi Outcast (PS4). Waiting for KOF 15 Omega Edition and Elden Ring to ship.

Sonic Unleashed, RE4 HD Project, RE HD Remaster with mods I didn't install yet, Ninja Gaiden Black which exceeds the hype!!!, Dark Souls 1, Bayonetta Xbox 360

Edit: Fortnite

Last edited:
Top Bottom