• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

reksveks

Just finished Guardians of the Galaxy (xcloud on steamdeck)

Playing Somnium Files 2 as well, just did 1 route so far. As Dusk Falls will be my next game. I hope there is nice narrative chunks of a hour so I can play it that way.

killatopak

Gold Member
Went back to Sims 4 for the High School dlc. I'm still kinda finishing up my Werewolf run so it might take a long time.

Last edited:

stn

Played Poke: Shining Pearl, and AC: Black Flag, both on the Switch. I'll try to beat Shining tonight as I'm really close.

Rodolink

It's Doom. It's one of the best FPS games of all time lol of course it plays great. I prefer 2016 over Eternal but it's still a good game.

i know that feeling. it took me 48 hours to finish it. if it wasn't for that final boss i'd have probably finished at 35-40 hours.

i lost count after ~120 tries of fighting him lol. i'm getting flashbacks of running up that passage way and stairs right now.
yeah xD most annoying thing is having to beat the crybaby of genichiro each time

Fredrik

A Plague Tale - started playing it yesterday. I really like the story, it’s unique, and the visuals are nice too. But going by the first 5 chapters it’s super linear, not my thing tbh, hoping it’ll loosen up later.

GeekyDad

Good lord, I forgot how farked up Almorica Passageway was. Had Denam as a ninja, and just couldn't get through it. And of course, I had used my main save file after the first battle, so there was no going back out to grind. Thankfully, switching over to a knight and having enough points to learn the items skill (+2) allowed me to get through it. Yeesh... :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Freeman76

Hunter call of the wild

One of the most relaxing games ive ever played. Took 10 hours or so to get to grips with it but i now have bought all reserves and dlc for it and have 50 hours played in just over 2 weeks. Incredible experience and finally something that feels unique

Fitzchiv

Took the plunge on next gen updated cyberpunk. It's buggy and too big, but the missions are engaging and tend to be quite varied so far. There are just too many poorly thought out game systems and the UI is dreadful.

Hestar69

Finally beat Kingdom Hearts 1 after 20 years of owning it on ps2/3/4... Been playing chains of memories but the card battle is not fun at all for me.. I Know you need to play it for the story before you can play 2,but I kinda just wanna skip it.

Labadal

I beat the second ending in Bravely Default II. After dinner, I am ready to wrap the game up. I will have spent 90hrs on the game.

Roufianos

Been looking for something to play since I finished Elden Ring, GT7 and Horizon earlier in the year. Checked out Sifu, Lego Star Wars and Ghostwire but didn't like any of them.

Ended up replaying God of War but completely checked out of actually playing games otherwise. Getting kind of mildly excited for Saint's Row, that's how bad it is.

Just finished Gunvolt 2. My quick review:

I've played through the previous game and iX1. They were pretty okay but I don't like this one.

For the basics: the challenge of playing as Gunvolt is to tag multiple enemies in such a way as to get simultaneous kills. Most of your score comes from this. But there isn't that much to it, enemies are basic and the challenge is more just remembering the level layouts. It feels in reality like a more roundabout, abstracted version of going for a good run in a Megaman Zero game, without any of the immediacy or good level design that those games (mostly) had.

Copen is about staying aerial and dashing into enemies, which is fun on a basic level but if you intend to play for score it's probably even more tedious than Gunvolt since it's 100% about memorising the level layout. After all, he clears multiple screens with a single dash, you can't see where you're going so you have to memorise that crap. The level design is also worse here than in iX, and the bosses are way worse.

Boss fights in Gunvolt 2 ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ blow. GV1 and Luminous Avenger iX were alright in this regard, but there's so much chaotic, messy ♥♥♥♥ going on in GV2. Gunvolt himself can at least see what is going on, but Copen is going to have to be "Copen" with not seeing about 1/3 of the screen any time he wants to do damage. And there are so many weird attacks where figuring out what the game expects is going to involve a lot of trial-and-error. The silver lining is that you can just brute-force the boss fights for the most part using prevasion, but if you want score then you probably want to learn the bosses at least a little... the difference between GV1 and 2 is that in the former I learned the bosses in the course of playing the game normally, and in 2 I think you'd have to read a guide or else devote some serious time into learning and practicing exactly how to fight each one.

I don't expect a good story from a game like this, but if they're going to waste my time then it's nice if there is at least something semi-coherent going on. The opening is fairly epic and implies the presence of a story, but there's not much after that... you have another generic messiah-complex-style baddie to fight (remember MMZ1? Remember GV1?) and then it's the end (oh! But you have to play the final chapter four times to get each ending! Epic!!!!!)

I really wanted to like this, and the Gunvolt series in general. Inti Creates are usually a good time. But I don't think these are very good and especially GV2 is just bad...

GrayDock

Finished/platinum Elden Ring on PS5. Awesome world and playability, but it's technical shortcomings like grass pop in, breaking the immersion, and the terrible camera behave when fighting large enemies make the game not a 10. A remaster for PS6/XSX+ without those problems would make it the GotAllGenerations. Like some other games before, it'll became a reference for years to come (elden ring like), with it's dozens of sub-bosses scattered troughout the world not really associated with quests and world/map build.
Started Kena on PS5, taking a little break from open world 100+ hours games for a while, and its beautifull. Nothing revolutionary, it's a PS2 game playing-wise with awesome visuals and superb soundtrack. It's a little on the hard side if you want to platinum it, something that I think I won't be doing this time, but we'll see.

Dommel

Finished Death Stranding (since it came to PS+. first time playing it) which I obessively played for about two weeks straight and now moving on to MGS Phantom Pain after completing Ground Zeroes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Road '96

It reminds me a lot of Firewatch, and not just in the art style.

The game has a banging sound track and the story is interesting and engaging.

Kev Kev

bout to start playing ff15 royal edition

havent replayed the game since i bought vanilla ff15 on release.

im gonna avoid using the additional weapons for the most part, but does anyone have suggestions on when i should play to DLCs?

WoodyStare

Beat Until Dawn which was a lot of fun. Somehow got all of my characters to survive which was really satisfying.

Also finally played Metal Gear Solid. Gotta say I’m completely shocked by what was accomplished both graphically and narratively with this game. It was clearly ahead of it’s time, and even playing it over 20 years later, it was a completely exhilarating gaming experience. Decided I’m going to go through the rest and about to start Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Looking forward to playing the franchise. Might even buy a used PS3 so I can play MGS4 if the other two are as good as the first.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Good lord, I forgot how farked up Almorica Passageway was. Had Denam as a ninja, and just couldn't get through it. And of course, I had used my main save file after the first battle, so there was no going back out to grind. Thankfully, switching over to a knight and having enough points to learn the items skill (+2) allowed me to get through it. Yeesh... :messenger_downcast_sweat:
That’s where I’m at right now. I’ve got a mix of knight and archers. Archers are great until they start missing all the time or they’re only taking 14-15 HP away. I like to stun anything that does massive damage, especially those trolls.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
God of War 2018, Stray --PS5
Red Dead Redemption 2 and Yakuza LAD -- XSX
Live a Live -- Switch
Witcher: Rogue Mage, Neon White, Oblivion. Might and Magic X -- Steam Deck

GeekyDad

That’s where I’m at right now. I’ve got a mix of knight and archers. Archers are great until they start missing all the time or they’re only taking 14-15 HP away. I like to stun anything that does massive damage, especially those trolls.
This is the 1v1 battle against assassin Vyce, and damn, he causes some pain fast!

Last edited:
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise
I don't know why, but, without being a megafan or something, I really like the atmosphere of FOTNS, in the series as in, as I realized yesterday starting it, this game. The weird proportions, the overly depressing state, the world is in, the batshit "martial arts" and here you go, a savage that is 3 stories tall and your second boss in the game.
If I deducted correctly, this game is technically based on the Yakuza-titles, but until now, it is just "walk 5 minutes, fight 10 minutes, watch half an hour of cutscenes" so it's also a bit like Metal Gear :D

Duchess

Playing Tales of Arise. Enjoying it so far. Feels like I'm back in the early 2000 with some of the design choices, which is funny.

The second Lord beat the hell out of me, though. Most bosses I beat on my first go. This dude took me 5 or 6 attempts, and about 50 minutes to take down. One of those enemies who has the ability to one-shot your entire party with one of his super moves ...

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  • As Dusk Falls
  • Stranger in Paradise (then the 1st DLC)
  • Neon White (nearing the end)
  • Escape Academy
  • Soul Calibur II
  • Power Washing Simulator
  • Sifu (hard mode ... still)

Naked Lunch

Ace Combat 6 and 7 [Series X] -Playing both on Ace difficulty. The AC games have infinite replay to me. Currently trying an SU-37 Terminator runs with the Yellow 13 skin.

Mushihimesama [Steam] -Incredibly difficult under its cutesy exterior. The second game is miles better than this - but im still trying to click with this one.

Strikers 1945 III [Series X] -The worst of the Strikers series because of super unfair bullet patterns and speed past level 3. I like the shift to modern jets - but Psikyo went off the deep end on their shmup design here.

Halo Infinite [Series X] -Near daily online matches. Still trying to improve. Since the general fanbase has cleared out at the moment - it feels like every round is against pros. Very tough sledding.

Just wrapped up my playthrough with Jill on the OG Resident Evil.

I never played both Chris and Jill back to back so I was quite stunned to find out that Jill aims much more slowly than Chris in the Original. Wow, after so many years... xD
Aside from that however Jill is indeed Easy mode in the OG. So much ammo. Still, one of the best games ever made.

Now onto OG RE2.

mansoor1980

Just wrapped up my playthrough with Jill on the OG Resident Evil.

I never played both Chris and Jill back to back so I was quite stunned to find out that Jill aims much more slowly than Chris in the Original. Wow, after so many years... xD
Aside from that however Jill is indeed Easy mode in the OG. So much ammo. Still, one of the best games ever made.

Now onto OG RE2.
jill has slower aim?does this carry over to the remake?

Naked Lunch

Street Fighter III [Online matches on the 30th Anniversary] -This port is so terrible. The PS360 SF3 version was great with good netcode. I hate this halfass crap is what we got stuck with this gen (and last) for SF3. The netcode and customization is horrific.
Even after not playing SF3 for years at this point - its still like riding a bike. And my old tricks with Sean and Q have been working against even the dorkiest of Urien and shoto players.

Mushihimesama Arrange Mode [Steam] -I know I just posted this - but now ive tried Arrange Mode. Im not sure videogames can possibly get any crazier. Absolute madness with billions of bullets on the screen. Laugh out loud crazy.
0LS17Gs.jpg

Last edited:

lachesis

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - PS1 classic on PS3.
Been quite stressed out from work, and wanted something that I'm familiar but haven't played for very long time (last full playthru was PSP Dracula X version).
I hooked my PS3 on a 17" CRT monitor - and it's just glorious. Silky smooth animation and all @ intimate screen size.
But it's that music that just sucks me right in. What a masterpiece this game is. (Asides.. voice acting - DIE MONSTER!)

And this game has a lot of really wacky, puzzling easter eggs and secrets galore, much more so than other GBA/DS Igavanias - and somehow still feels fresh after all these years. Then again, this game also feel a bit "less" organized in UX and all - and somewhat have that open-ended, throw everything and see what sticks kinda feel - for being the "real" first of its kind. Something like spells - I totally forgot about they existed too! Probably such "rough" experimental quality, although it's quite easy to break the game's balance - is what gives the game such charm unlike anything else.

EDF 4.1 in online multiplayer with some friends. They are experiencing the series for the first time and it is heartwarming to see, how they have the same reaction as I when the first tsunami of red ants floods over a hill in the distance and just fucks everything up in its path.

Pure, unbridled joy!

sammyys

Banned
I play nft games right now. I like play to earn games, they are entertaining. Plus there are many nft characters, I can take part in tournaments and get in-game tokens while playing. Soon every player will be able to monetize in-game achievement and start earning. Now playing these games are even more entertaining.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Driver: San Francisco

Just wrapped it up. Pretty great with a dope soundtrack to boot. Pretty crazy to think its been 11 years since the last Driver entry. Still, the series went out with a nice send-off.

Heads-up to all the trophy hunters out there if you want the MP trophies for this, get them before servers close 1. September.

Top Bottom