• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

dcx4610

Heretic on PC.

I've decided that I want to do a bit of a FPS history run. I played Wolf3D, DOOM and Heretic shareware editions as a kid but never had the full version. Once I did get the full versions, they were on console (Jaguar), I just messed around with cheat codes but never played them from start to finish legitimately. I just recently beat Wolf 3D, DOOM, DOOM II and now I'm working on Heretic.

Heretic is flat out awesome and it's cool to finally play the full version. It's amazing to me how well the gameplay holds up on a FPS that old. Fast, fun and challenging. Next up, I'm going with Rise of the Triad which was another shareware as a kid. After that, Hexen, Quake, Unreal and Quake 2 to wrap up.

GeekyDad

c34R5Lc.jpg

EzvXBzz.jpg

BabyYoda

Banned
Quantum Break, finally got round to this game, I guess I was put off by a lot of the negativity that surrounded it at launch for one reason or another.

It's a Remedy game though, so it looks beautiful, is excellently written and has satisfying combat, I should've played this earlier...

Yes the TV series parts are a bit long and look cheap, but again the writing is great, as is the casting and it's devoid of the wokeness that has polluted all forms of entertainment.

Highly recommended if you enjoyed Alan Wake and Control, it also has a noticeably bigger budget than anything else they have done (published by Micro$oft after all). It's on Gamepass to boot.

WoodyStare

Played the remakes of Resident Evil 2 and 3. Enjoyed both of them very much.

Currently going through Until Dawn. Playing this game drunk has been a fun experience. Everyone is still alive so far but if someone dies I’ll probably yell at the television. Game also looks amazing on PS5.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Still on FF14. Collecting shiny weapons for now. Next week I'll do the hildebrand quests and then after that will probably get back to savage raiding.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I ended up not liking Cyberpunk very much. Guess I'll give it another chance down the line.

I'm playing Okami now and man, now this is a fun videogame. Looks and sounds great, has lots of sense of humor and the gameplay is fun. Only downside so far is that it's very easy, but hey, still enjoyable.

on a Mad Max kick lately. i tried it before once, and it didn't hook me. But me and a friend had been talking about Fury Road...and i ended up watching Mad Max 1 & 2.

Im really digging the game now. My only real complaints are that the aesthetic is more Fury Road based...and doesn't have some of the cool colorfulness of the old movies. The controls aren't great. the driving controls are...but the on-foot controls are a problem. U can't move and shoot at the same time. And the button mapping is atrocious with Jump on L2. The missions don't seem too complex. Kinda fetch questy or just go here and destroy this thing. But the open world driving part is so fun it doesn't matter

Xenogears. About 8 hours in. RPG’s have been my favorite genre ever since playing Final Fantasy 1 as a kid. But Mecha stuff has always turned me off, so I steered away from xenogears only seeing screenshots up until now.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 is in my personal top 5 RPGs, so I thought I’d go back to where it started. So far I’m happy to see there isn’t as much Mecha stuff as a thought. I didn’t even realize there were battles without Mecha going in. I had a totally different picture in my head of what the tone and presentation of this game was going to be.

- I’m impressed by the graphics and gameplay
- I’m not using any defense accessories,
So far the game is very easy
- characters are ok so far
- good mix of story progression and gameplay (I understand this gets lop-sided later on
- attention to visual detail is appreciated
- feels like star ocean second story to me but more grounded and cold.

So far, I told my friend (who knows nothing about JPRG’s) that Final Fantasy 7 is like Star Wars and Xenogears is like The Expanse. Just a general feel I get.
Game is great, until it isn't. The last third of the game just completely falls apart.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just went back and platinumed Resident Evil 3 Remake. Game runs great on PS5.

I can't decide what to play next. I have no backlog.
Play Furi.

For example. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Nah but really, it's great and if you like Cuphead, you might like this one. Got it for free on PS+ back then, and frankly, it's one of the best games I got for free from it.

95mellow

I'm tempted to play a CRPG. It's between Pillars of Eternity and Original Sin 2 right now.

Does anyone have fun OS2 builds? I'm thinking Frost Paladin.

darth.shrimp

Gold Member
Still playing Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga.

The game looks really nice, and the gameplay is a clear step-up from previous Lego games, but it's kinda boring. I'm doing it in chronological order, so I started with Episode 1, which... may or may not have been a good idea; the missions in the first movies were really short (like, 5-10 minutes short), but it got better now that I started the original trilogy. So starting with the prequels was a good thing since it looks like the worst part of the game is behind me, but a bad thing in that it could make one give up on the game too early.

Other than that, it's a typical Lego game: progressing through the story is super easy, even a kid could do it (seriously, they even put an invincibility option in the ""accessibility"" menu instead of having to unlock it lol), but doing 100% will take a long time; 9 movies make for a lot of (pretty shallow) content.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I started playing Shadow of the Colossus remake yesterday with the kids, and had to listen to them debating if you’re playing as a boy or girl, they loved the game though. Three colossus down. It was ages ago since I played the original, the remake is beautiful, the intro was magnificent👌

Last edited:

Isa

Did a quick run through again(played at launch) of The Order 1886 with my gf, she really enjoyed it. Its funny I see a ton of Until Dawn/Dark Pictures/Quarry style QTE dna here.
I'm currently going through Trails of Arise, had it day 1 and was enjoying it until stuff last year made me stop back in October. Picked up where I left off and am enjoying myself quite a bit. Very pretty game and I like the story. Not the most amazing game or anything but a solid Jrpg. Getting on a roll for the onslaught of Jrpgs in the coming weeks, dedicating more time to gaming so I can knock 'em out.

shenmue-1---button-1536367889315.jpg

Blown away by how deep and immersive this game is, super ahead of its time with the all of the interactions you can have and how detailed the game world is, absolutely loving it so far

Very easy to get lost in it and lose track of time, I mostly bought it because I liked Yakuza and had heard good things about the Shenmue games as well

bender

What time is it?
I'm nearing the end of my Dead Space playthrough. I've been using it for AMEM which has really been halting my progress. I really need to break the habit of thinking I'm going to run out of achievements. While the game is a good time, my nostalgia for it has definitely taken a large blow.

I've been doing some Steam Deck'ing as well. I've made it farther in SH2 than ever before but still not very far. I've mostly spent time catching up with Vampire Survivors and the content I've missed over the last few months.

Powerwash Simulator (Game Pass)

What am I doing with my life? :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Living the best life? It looks oddly satisfying and I can't wait to try it. I said the same thing about House Flipper though and that was complete jank.

Finished OG Resident Evil with Chris. PS5 port.

What a game man. But it is crazy just how obsolete the Remake made this game. The only reason I still like to play it is because of nostalgia (naturally) and I kinda like the B-movie cheap horror flick mood it conveys compared to the Remake, which feels more like a high budget horror flick. Also I do like the soundtrack a bit better.

Gonna do another run with Jill now.

Come think of it. It's just crazy how fast I was able to complete the game compared to something that is released to today. No wonder I ain't looking forward to a single sequel these day compared to then...

Wish we would get more shorter games like this more frequently again. Not only would the industry be more interesting again but they'd also not have to sell 10 million copies to be profitable... Damn...

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Cool, I've decided to give Kingdom Come another try if it's that good.

Nice! Remember to take your time and train combat skills at the arena at the beginning of the game (with Bernard in Rattay). It's essential to level up there and learn skills like perfect block etc. Otherwise you'll be raped by every bandit group you encounter and well, it's not fun.

Let's see:

Bayonetta, Gwent: Rogue Mage and XCOM: Chimera Squad on PC. I'm doing a fresh Bayonetta run - very much interested in 3, never played the second. Time to correct that.
Gwent is cool for short 15-30 minutes sessions and I needed that kind of game after Monster Train. XCOM: CS, despite mediocre reception, is actually very enjoyable to me. It's not as deep and customizable as XCOM 2 but I quite like the story, characters, breach mechanics and skills that our alien friends bring to the team.

Horizon Forbidden West on PS5. After my initial disappointment I've been enjoying this a lot more. Currently almost 30 hours in. Trying to finish it before Last of Us.

Knights of the Old Republic and Broken Sword Serpent's Curse on Switch.

Jedi Fallen Order on Series S. Second playthrough to refresh my memory before Jedi Survivor.

Rickyiez

Let's see:

Bayonetta, Gwent: Rogue Mage and XCOM: Chimera Squad on PC. I'm doing a fresh Bayonetta run - very much interested in 3, never played the second.
You have to find a way to play Bayonetta 2. It’s an amazing sequel , everything is bolder , flashier and more exciting. Looking forward to the third

As for me I’m playing FF7R Integrade on PC because I didn’t get to finish it on PS4 last time before parting with the console. It’s such an upgraded experience because of 4k 90FPS capped compared to 1080p30FPS with broken textures.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Been playing some Doom Eternal, cleared 4 levels, it’s not my genre but for a first person shooter it’s surprisingly good, plays great.
It's Doom. It's one of the best FPS games of all time lol of course it plays great. I prefer 2016 over Eternal but it's still a good game.

Jist finished Sekiro, got to the final boss with 45h do you know how much until I could beat him? I finished it with 68h 😭
20h just to be able to beat the basterd...
I've played all from soft games and still I don't think I've "gotten gud" fckn bullcrap.
Anyway amazing game as usual 👌
i know that feeling. it took me 48 hours to finish it. if it wasn't for that final boss i'd have probably finished at 35-40 hours.

i lost count after ~120 tries of fighting him lol. i'm getting flashbacks of running up that passage way and stairs right now.

Last edited:

engstra

On holiday and back home. Was clearing out some shit and found my old 3ds. Started playing A Link Between Worlds. Bought it but never played it, so I’m looking forward to it even though I’ve never really played a top down Zelda before

Fredrik

It's Doom. It's one of the best FPS games of all time lol of course it plays great. I prefer 2016 over Eternal but it's still a good game.
Yeah I understand that, started playing it because of the thread saying it was the best single player shooter ever. But it’s not my type of game, so for me it’s surprising that I actually enjoy it. I’m annoyed at the punch and chainsaw animations but I like the mechanic they’re using that for, means you have to be offensive, be close up and fight, can’t sit further away and just snipe the enemies without get out of ammo/health.
It gets too hectic for the perspective for me though, the boss fight at the Doom Hunter Base was nuts, 99% of the time I had no idea where I was on the map or where the enemies were, 10 minutes of nonstop panic lol

amigastar

On holiday and back home. Was clearing out some shit and found my old 3ds. Started playing A Link Between Worlds. Bought it but never played it, so I’m looking forward to it even though I’ve never really played a top down Zelda before
I like A Link Between Worlds better than Breath of the Wild actually. Great game with nice 3d effects.

an update to my Mad Max post. I had been playing the PS+ version. But i saw Xbox just put it on sale for 5 bux and nabbed that.
Way better. auto HDR and 60fps makes it look like a gen ahead of what i was playing on PS5. And with the elite controller im able to remap buttons. So i've kinda fixed my gripe about the on-foot controls.

On the hunt for some good runes in D2R to make some of my sought after end-game gear on my bowazon and mercenary. The ladder should come to an end in around a month, so i should get the most of it before then.

All i've been playing is Diablo 2 Resurrected, easily became one of my favorite games ever. Endless replayability thanks to its excellent loot table and itemization.

Top Bottom