• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

22:22:22

Banned
Dead space, easily. Besides a jump scare from dogs jumping into a hallway, I've never found Resident Evil scary.

Yeah i was talking about 4 specifically. Or did you mean those dogs in that labyrinth style segment?

Anyways.

For me it's the other way around. Never found Dead Space scary. Sure. A little tense here and there probably due to sound effects(sound hits me hard in scary games) but scary? No.

Interesting.

Thanks for replying i was curious.

bender

What time is it?
Yeah i was talking about 4 specifically. Or did you mean those dogs in that labyrinth style segment?

Anyways.

For me it's the other way around. Never found Dead Space scary. Sure. A little tense here and there probably due to sound effects(sound hits me hard in scary games) but scary? No.

Interesting.

Thanks for replying i was curious.

Nothing about RE4 was scary. The weapon reloads and bullet impacts are so satisfying. The unknown of exploring the the ship in Dead Space was super creepy and atmospheric and the sound design just upped the tension. I also really liked the dismemberment concept when almost every other game focused on headshots. And visually of course it was a much more modern game.

I'm also a big pussy when it comes to horror games. I made it about 30 minutes into Silent Hill and turned Fatal Frame off the first time I pointed a camera at a ghost. Surprisingly enough, I did manage to beat Amnesia but Jesus Christ was that ever a miserable experience.

Banned
That's what I find interesting; the difference in experience regarding the same game.

I also am a huge pussy when it comes to scary games but Dead Space didn't hit that "to scary to continue" spot for me. I almost had to be drunk to play RE4 and 7 otherwise I won't think I'd finished them lol

My first quote was due to reading the (more or less) consensus that Dead Space was scary af and RE4 an action game. So hence my question and I was 80% sure of your answer.

Just interesting. I agree with your first paragraph. But scary as being endlessly persued by a guy wearing a sack and wielding a chainsaw. No way Lmao.

And let's not forget the chanting monks. Fuck that

🤣🙈

Last edited:

Banned
Pi9AY8Z.jpg

First match (quick play; mostly easy opponents)

Maybe you did... because you are a casual too. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Damn right I am 😂😏

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I briefly checked out 2018 God of War earlier, on performance mode on the PS4 Pro...not too far in but you can get a sense of epic-ness that awaits, meanwhile having picked up where I left off at the beginning of the year with Judgment, I haven't been able to sink into it greatly as yet...even though I am only on chapter 3 I haven't found a particular strong "hook" to the game to keep me wanting to go back for more....but seeing as I purchased it some-time-ago I need to make a point of getting through it....

G-Bus

Banned
Balls deep into Forbidden West. Just trying to finish it at this point. Pretty sure I'm near the end.

Downloaded crash 4 and that was pleasantly suprising. So that's up next along with the GoT DLC. Never went and done that. Glad I was able to get my PS4 save and transfer that to the ps5.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
About to finish both Goemon's Great Adventure on the 64 and Death's Door on PC. Sadly I'm sick as fuck so instead of playing cool games I'm lying on my bed while shitposting over the whole internet.

Don't know what to play next tho. I'm thinking Grandia, Valkyrie Profile, both Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 or maybe give Majora's Mask another chance, since it's one of the few Zelda games I've never beaten.

dave_d

Well just finished Infamous 2.(Good guy ending.) Now on to Ys Books 1&2. I haven't played it in 30 years and I want to see how it compares to Chronicles.(I've got to see which is the definitive version.) After that PS5 Spiderman.(Yeah, something modern.)

cortadew

Nothing about RE4 was scary. The weapon reloads and bullet impacts are so satisfying. The unknown of exploring the the ship in Dead Space was super creepy and atmospheric and the sound design just upped the tension. I also really liked the dismemberment concept when almost every other game focused on headshots. And visually of course it was a much more modern game.

I'm also a big pussy when it comes to horror games. I made it about 30 minutes into Silent Hill and turned Fatal Frame off the first time I pointed a camera at a ghost. Surprisingly enough, I did manage to beat Amnesia but Jesus Christ was that ever a miserable experience.
Which Silent Hill if I may ask?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just beat Goemon's Great Adventure. Great adventure and great game too! The music is fantastic and the gameplay is quite fun. Loved how many stages had multiple endings and multiple paths to reach them, kinda reminded me of looking for the hidden exists in Super Mario World.

The game is also a nice challenge. Starts of easy enough but ends up putting a good fight, specially in the last stage.

I have like 8 entry passes and I think there are some unlockables. I'll try getting everything, as I'm still having fun with tbe game.

It's the only Goemon game I've beaten. Might look into the SNES game in the future.

Bought a Thrustmaster Warthog....

c4a841d7-3620-46bf-a54d-1afa2f0a0834_1.7dbdcca172f19d74f7d40f02a0a33869.jpeg

....so playing Flight Simulator, Elite Dangerous, Everspace 2, Star Citizen, etc. Love this thing.
Not into this kind of stuff but man, it sure looks very cool. Enjoy it!

cortadew

SH2. I think I was walking along a lake and there was some fucked up dog growling noises and fog. Nope, nope, nope.
Toluca lake? That's the beginning, you need to at least reach Woodside and Blue Creek apartments. If you're feeling too stressed take short breakes, drink some water, jog a little sh2 is an absolute masterpiece it's the first game I think whenever someone claims videogames are art.

bender

What time is it?
Toluca lake? That's the beginning, you need to at least reach Woodside and Blue Creek apartments. If you're feeling too stressed take short breakes, drink some water, jog a little sh2 is an absolute masterpiece it's the first game I think whenever someone claims videogames are art.

Like I said, I nope'd out in the first 10-30 minutes. Bought it on release too. I'm a massive pussy when it comes to horror games and I love the genre in film.

TintoConCasera

I'm looking forward to replaying Valkyrie Profile Leneth when it comes to PS5 in a few months.
Oh! That's cool. Is it included with the new one or something?

I loved that game man, but I remember the true ending being an absolute bitch to get. :goog_relieved:

Randomly decided get Monster Hunter Rise yesterday. Only got the base game because I don’t even know if I’ll be invested in it for that long. For instance I played the shit out of World, but by the end of the main quest in that I got burnt out on it and never bothered with Iceborne.

But that’s pretty much how every MH game goes for me; they’re fun but late game becomes too grindy and I get tired of it. I saw in some reviews that Rose is less grindy, so maybe I’ll actually get Sunbreak at some point.

For a Switch game it looks really good and Framerate is a decently steady 30; all in all great work. One of the default Female characters looked a lot like Samus so I just went with that because I didn’t feel like spending too much time in creation.

Kev Kev

Forza horizon 5 and after 10 hours I’m still pretty confused and overwhelmed by the game. But when I’m just driving around doing challenges it’s a blast! So I’m just going to keep doing that while I slowly figure out the game’s systems.

Megaman Zero 1 in the Zero DS Collection, hopefully I make progress soon
Megaman Zero is epic, I played those games for the first time a couple months back and they're some of my favourite platformers now. It's hard going at first though. My routine was to play as far as I could before getting completely stuck, then restart and get better ranks, accrue more lives, get further... ultimately I managed to get A ranks by the end by playing like that.

I've been playing Azure Striker Gunvolt, it's not a game that really clicked with me so it's been slow going but I replayed through the whole thing yesterday after the good ending. The basic mechanics, to be honest, are not terribly appealing... in theory it feels like the game would be about evasion with its simplified means of attack (tag with gun and hold a button to electrocute) but in reality the enemies are very simple. Also, the level design isn't terribly interesting. Many of the gimmicks are lame and there's not much in the way of platforming... the boss fights are the highlight, but this is mostly because they're just traditional boss fights where you figure out enemy patterns rather than being anything unique to the game.

Add to that that they found the dumbest, smelliest Redditors to do the localisation. Every line is some sort of unfunny quip and it's fucking intolerable. I feel like Inti Creates games usually do a good job of using a limited script to make you feel some connection to the characters, even if it's not the focal point of their games, but not here. The one good thing is the game has a running theme of having bit villains be slightly offensive queer sex pervert stereotypes and I think that's funny. Also, the bad ending is just you beat a god and then get shot with a gun the end roll credits lol

Overall this is probably the worst Inti Creates game I've played and I hope they improved the sequels because this game has zero depth. Guess I'll find out soon.

GymWolf

Gold Member
i cant stop hearing about this game. it sounds really fun!
It's kinda of a drug but really nothing special.

It hits too close to home with those castlevania sotn sprites.

Also it is made by an italian and the game is full of italian jokes that americans can't understand...

I mean one of the characters is called cristin davein...

Last edited:

D-ray

I recently re-played Amnesia The Dark Descent because I noticed they added achievements on Steam (and because I really needed to have nightmares again I guess).
Other than that, I'm playing Crypt of the Necrodancer. The game's a bit masochist with some challenges, but it's very cool nevertheless.

I should really play Wolfenstein in general, not just the new one. But sadly, I've played SO MANY FPS during the course of 2014/2017 that I barely stand them nowdays...
One day I will tho.

Yumi

Xenogears. About 8 hours in. RPG’s have been my favorite genre ever since playing Final Fantasy 1 as a kid. But Mecha stuff has always turned me off, so I steered away from xenogears only seeing screenshots up until now.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 is in my personal top 5 RPGs, so I thought I’d go back to where it started. So far I’m happy to see there isn’t as much Mecha stuff as a thought. I didn’t even realize there were battles without Mecha going in. I had a totally different picture in my head of what the tone and presentation of this game was going to be.

- I’m impressed by the graphics and gameplay
- I’m not using any defense accessories,
So far the game is very easy
- characters are ok so far
- good mix of story progression and gameplay (I understand this gets lop-sided later on
- attention to visual detail is appreciated
- feels like star ocean second story to me but more grounded and cold.

So far, I told my friend (who knows nothing about JPRG’s) that Final Fantasy 7 is like Star Wars and Xenogears is like The Expanse. Just a general feel I get.

I've been playing Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX, a sort of sequel/side-story to the Gunvolt series. (I should probably have played Gunvolt 2 first to keep in order of release. Oh well.)

Instead of tagging with the gun you now tag with a dash, and you can clear large areas quickly using the air dash... gameplay is much more fast-paced and once you get into the rhythm of zipping around, bashing off enemies and reloading the gun it's a lot of fun. It's still a game that lacks much depth— for the most part the air dash is a win button against normal enemies— but in this case it works because the game's mechanics are singularly designed around reaction & speed, unlike the original game.

I finished Luminous Avenger iX... even for one of these games it's extremely short. I think the boss fights kind of suck... the basic mechanics are about movement and reaction, and that doesn't work so well on a fixed screen with bosses whose attacks typically must be watched and learned. Perhaps worse, while you attack the screen is covered with visuals that make it literally impossible to see what it going on. As a result, the traditional Inti boss rush at the end is a miserable experience that lowered my opinion of the game in its final moments, and in such a short game that's really not good! The actual levels were still a lot of fun though and Copen (sorry, "Akira-kun!") is much more fun mechanically than Gunvolt. I'd recommend it over Gunvolt 1. PS. Kohaku is a babe

ss-01f3049c4af413e9cf358c55c1c684c35d25ea20-1920x1080.jpg

(wait... Akyura-kun? Is that his name? Have I been mishearing this whole time? My Japanese isn't very good)

I just started Gunvolt 2. This game has Gunvolt and Copen with their own campaigns which, I assume, will come together in a final segment. Gunvolt still isn't terribly compelling to play as, and Copen is still tremendous fun. Zooming around, kicking off enemies and trying to stay aerial as long as possible is a rush.

Top Bottom