• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

drganon

Getting close to the end of ff16. Also played House of ashes. Its probably my favorite of the three dark pictures games I've played.

sedg87

Banned
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (PS1)
I've only ever played the really old games in this series, so didn't know anything before I started. Seems quite 'Resident Evi' with a few unique twists. The manor setting is really spooky and Carnby seems like a cool character. Are the other games in the series worth a play?

Shadow Hearts
I beat Koudelka a week or so back and someone on the forum mentioned this, so decided to give it a go. Played for a couple of hours and it's absolutely fantastic. I mention this a lot when I play games but I really do love the atmosphere in this one.

stn

Focused on Valkyrie Elysium (PS4) this past weekend. I'm on chapter 7/9. Its pretty decent overall, nothing ground-breaking. I'll definitely go for the platinum at some point. I'll return to Final Fantasy 16 (PS5) once I beat it, with some Wanted: Dead (XSX) on the side as well. I'm doing my best to play one game at a time.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finally got to Octopath Traveler 2. I like it a lot, but it's super similar to the first one. They changed very little. Even some of the stories are very similar and the character classes are very close to the same if not totally completely the same(so far). They added some minor things, but I was hoping for some more additions. But the core gameplay elements are really good, so it's still a great experience sans the random battles. No excuse for random battles to still be a thing in 2023.

engstra

Been back home for holiday and been playing a bunch of Switch games I picked up in the summer sale.

Carrion: Pretty solid metroidvania. It's fun to play as this coagulation of flesh and bone although at times, especially towards the end when you're big, the controls are pretty bad. For a metroidvania it's pretty linear which didn't compel me to want to 100% all areas as I usually love to.

West of Loathing: This game is awesome! Really funny and charming adventure/rpg. The stick figure art style is really cool. I feel like this game is never really mentioned when it comes to great indie games but it's up there for me. Really looking forward to check out the sequel coming out soon.

Katana Zero: Enjoyed my time with it but didn't really live up to my expectations as it was quite hyped when it released.

Little Misfortune: Pretty dark yet funny linear story driven game. My only gripes with the game is that the main character moves slowly and has an annoying voice. There's branching story paths so I will probably go back to see how things change.

Card Shark: Really enjoyed this one. Game's all about cheating at card games to hustle your opponents, set in 1700s France. Highly recommend this one.

Ape Out: Pretty simple concept but the art style and especially the sound design makes this game feel really good to play. Short and sweet.

Florence: An artsy graphic story. Pretty good for what it is.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Been back home for holiday and been playing a bunch of Switch games I picked up in the summer sale.

Carrion: Pretty solid metroidvania. It's fun to play as this coagulation of flesh and bone although at times, especially towards the end when you're big, the controls are pretty bad. For a metroidvania it's pretty linear which didn't compel me to want to 100% all areas as I usually love to.

West of Loathing: This game is awesome! Really funny and charming adventure/rpg. The stick figure art style is really cool. I feel like this game is never really mentioned when it comes to great indie games but it's up there for me. Really looking forward to check out the sequel coming out soon.

Katana Zero: Enjoyed my time with it but didn't really live up to my expectations as it was quite hyped when it released.

Little Misfortune: Pretty dark yet funny linear story driven game. My only gripes with the game is that the main character moves slowly and has an annoying voice. There's branching story paths so I will probably go back to see how things change.

Card Shark: Really enjoyed this one. Game's all about cheating at card games to hustle your opponents, set in 1700s France. Highly recommend this one.

Ape Out: Pretty simple concept but the art style and especially the sound design makes this game feel really good to play. Short and sweet.

Florence: An artsy graphic story. Pretty good for what it is.
Card Shark has been a shameful part of my backlog for too long.

Finally got to Octopath Traveler 2. I like it a lot, but it's super similar to the first one. They changed very little. Even some of the stories are very similar and the character classes are very close to the same if not totally completely the same(so far). They added some minor things, but I was hoping for some more additions. But the core gameplay elements are really good, so it's still a great experience sans the random battles. No excuse for random battles to still be a thing in 2023.
Some of us like random encounters just fine I think. I don't have any problem with it whether it's 2023 or not. I think adding in mechanisms within the gameplay such a certain skills and equipment to reduce or eliminate them is something that developers should do if they're going to implement them these days but as a core concept I like them just fine.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m in a frenzy right now. I know Starfield is going to take up a ton of my gaming the last quarter of the year. So I’m trying to play certain games before. I want to beat Alan Wake Remaster and Control Ultimate Edition, before Alan Wake 2 comes out.

So right now I’m playing Alan Wake, AEW Fight Forever, and I’m starting to distance myself from Diablo 4.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Final Fantasy X - I love me some classic FFs. Last time I played it was 2020.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Some of us like random encounters just fine I think. I don't have any problem with it whether it's 2023 or not. I think adding in mechanisms within the gameplay such a certain skills and equipment to reduce or eliminate them is something that developers should do if they're going to implement them these days but as a core concept I like them just fine.
I've heard people say they don't mind random encounters, but I don't see many say they outright want them.

There is no real difference between random encounters and encounters on the maps except cosmetics and enemies on screen allow you to skip battles if you desire. It just gives you options. And allows completionists to freely explore without constant interruption.

But I don't think anything is actually lost ditching random encounters unless people are just that nostalgia-driven.

xrnzaaas

I'm hoping to replay all of the Splinter Cell games (while having a huge backlog of new games). I've started SC1 and I like the difficulty and how the NPC's aren't blind or deaf. Controls need some getting used to, but they aren't as bad as in something like Hitman Blood Money (I had to google to find out how to throw coins in that game). The alert system is the only thing that bothers me - why do I get a strike if I've eliminated everyone from the previous area of the building and didn't hide the bodies properly? No one new showed up in the meantime to discover the bodies. I should be penalized on the go for bodies left on display, not always after new checkpoints.

Last edited:
Just beat Marvel's Midnight Suns (a game I liked so much I actually didn't want it to end...favorite game of this gen) and am now hunting around for my next game. Played about 3 hours of High on Life and not really feeling it.

Maybe Cyberpunk? Or the Deus Ex game from last gen? Dunno. Trying to decide.

SCB3

Having just finished Remnant: from the Ashes, ready for its sequel, I'm also playing Marvel Midnight Sons, a very good game imo that got unfairly rated on release

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
The subplot with the Gorons and what caused their addiction to the marbled rock roast, the epic trek up Death Mountain and subsequently finding the Fire Temple was so incredibly good. It felt like classic Zelda complete with a great legacy dungeon to explore. The game also has some very fun side quests which amplifies the already great exploring. I think this is probably the best realized Hyrule Nintendo has ever created. It's like it has reached it's final form, or true potential. It's such a magical world that I never want to leave it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

The subplot with the Gorons and what caused their addiction to the marbled rock roast, the epic trek up Death Mountain and subsequently finding the Fire Temple was so incredibly good. It felt like classic Zelda complete with a great legacy dungeon to explore. The game also has some very fun side quests which amplifies the already great exploring. I think this is probably the best realized Hyrule Nintendo has ever created. It's like it has reached it's final form, or true potential. It's such a magical world that I never want to leave it.
Finding that temple was one of the great moments for sure.

Finding that temple was one of the great moments for sure.
I started exploring the Depths pretty early so I came upon the temple before I could even get close to it; just noticed that huge building some distance away and placed a marker there, dozens of hours before I got the flamebreaker set and could actually go there, not to mention doing the actual Goron quest line. Took a bit out of the wonder, maybe, but still a great experience.

Punished Miku

I started exploring the Depths pretty early so I came upon the temple before I could even get close to it; just noticed that huge building some distance away and placed a marker there, dozens of hours before I got the flamebreaker set and could actually go there, not to mention doing the actual Goron quest line. Took a bit out of the wonder, maybe, but still a great experience.
I had a couple similar experiences in different areas. One of them was still kind of noteworthy though because I don't think I was really supposed to be able to be there lol.

Nankatsu

How is Ghost Recon: Breakpoint these days? I'm almost finished with FFXVI and I always wanted to try that game. Is it worth nowadays?

Duchess

The Entropy Centre.

Portal lite, but still rather good. It starts off pretty easy, but is getting trickier. Story is interesting enough.

M.W.

Got about 20 or so in rotation. Big ones are FF16 (zzz), Remnant 2 (zzz), Rocket League, PGA 2K23, F1 23, CP2077, Valhalla, 2042, Infinite...

Naked Lunch

Front Mission 1st [Xbox Series X and SNES]
Classic Strat RPG gameplay at its most pure - and fun. Playing back to back - its interesting but I think the fan-made SNES translation might actually be better than the official release on modern consoles. I also prefer the SNES' sprite graphics over the ugly americanized 3d models - but maybe thats just me.

Castlevania - Rondo of Blood [PC Engine CD]
Playing the original on original hardware in all its glory. This is the pinnacle of 2D gaming.

Halo Infinite [Series X]
Ive played Infinite's multiplayer on and off for 2 years now - and as a huge Halo fan, this one is still fun - but ultimately didnt live up to the classics. Its the closest to Halo 3/Reach the series has been since - but I expect and want more from the series. I mean the Halo DNA is in there - but its just not good enough. Halo 3 destroys this game, still.
I hope they (someone) can do it before Im dead, heh.

Last edited:
Finished

Bendy And The Ink Machine: D (Steam)

Total Playtime: 05:17 hours

The gameplay is so boring and this is good example of style over substance. I called it Bendy And The Boring Machine or Bendy And The Overrated Machine

Example of something I consider overrated

I can tell people are just fans of the game due to the graphics

The story isn't even good

Story is boring and predictable

I might play the sequel next since I got these both off a steam sale

MrStauf

Banned
How is Ghost Recon: Breakpoint these days? I'm almost finished with FFXVI and I always wanted to try that game. Is it worth nowadays?
I finished it early last year (pc) i thought it was pretty decent overall, zero crashes or problems.
Worth giving a go imho.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
40 hours in Tears of the Kingdom. This is so far the best Zelda I've played since Wind Waker (which is my personal favorite alongside Adventures of Link). If it keeps up TotK will be probably end up my all time favorite in the franchise. It's an amazing adventure.

Roberts

Finished Toem with my kid. It's probably too simple and childish for grown-ups to enjoy, but we had fun together and some of the puzzles are not super obvious. Cute game.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I started Dragon Warrior VII on PS1 yesterday.

It’s a bold game. The first three hours is literally just walking back and forth between a village and a castle, talking to NPCs. The third hour is going through a dungeon, exploring and solving puzzles with no enemies in sight. Somewhere around the four-hour mark, I came into my first battle.

The encounter rate is insanely high. The battles, however are very fast as party members can be left to decide their own attacks.

I’m not sure if I will continue. It’s “fun”, the puzzles are decent, the writing is decent, translation is “okay”, music is “okay”… there are just a bunch of things that bother me about the game.

Menus are unnecessarily cluttered and opaque. All the menu text, item and monster names, everything is abbreviated for no reason in a 32 bit CD game (e.g. party member names abbreviated to four characters). The FMVs are the lowest quality I have ever seen on the PS1.

It really does feel like this was created as a SNES game, then ported it to a 3D game engine. According to Yuji Horii, around 35 people worked on this for five years.

Beat Pillars of Eternity last night and absolutely loved it. Wish I had played that sooner, just a great game all around and an awesome follow up to Infinity Engine titles. I like just about everything about it - the quests, the options to resolve them, real time with pause, nice system of detail (resistances/magic/whatever). Love the graphics, loved the music. Story is not bad at all, not a ton to it but interesting enough for me to keep going. I like the scripted/descriptive sequences in which you can sometimes make decisions based on your stats and I really loved all the descriptive flavor text put into the game. I liked the side plots and whatnot also, the stronghold is a cool idea. I finished the expansion as well. I almost want to play it again because I know there are things I missed or different ways I could go and I might.

But for now I have moved on to try out Pillars of Eternity II. I see many people say it's better than the first, but often those people don't particularly like the first game, so not sure what to think, but giving it a try. So far I like it.

Punished Miku

Beat Pillars of Eternity last night and absolutely loved it. Wish I had played that sooner, just a great game all around and an awesome follow up to Infinity Engine titles. I like just about everything about it - the quests, the options to resolve them, real time with pause, nice system of detail (resistances/magic/whatever). Love the graphics, loved the music. Story is not bad at all, not a ton to it but interesting enough for me to keep going. I like the scripted/descriptive sequences in which you can sometimes make decisions based on your stats and I really loved all the descriptive flavor text put into the game. I liked the side plots and whatnot also, the stronghold is a cool idea. I finished the expansion as well. I almost want to play it again because I know there are things I missed or different ways I could go and I might.

But for now I have moved on to try out Pillars of Eternity II. I see many people say it's better than the first, but often those people don't particularly like the first game, so not sure what to think, but giving it a try. So far I like it.
I really, really need to get to these sometime soon. Would like to play them prior to Avowed.

Zheph

I do think it's much better also, the complain for II was the boat stuff but you can make it not tedious at all.

Enjoy!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished

Bendy And The Ink Machine: D (Steam)

Total Playtime: 05:17 hours

The gameplay is so boring and this is good example of style over substance. I called it Bendy And The Boring Machine or Bendy And The Overrated Machine

Example of something I consider overrated

I can tell people are just fans of the game due to the graphics

The story isn't even good

Story is boring and predictable

I might play the sequel next since I got these both off a steam sale
Those games are amazing to kids. I recently played Amanda the Adventurer because my kid came home telling me all about. It’s not a game for kids, but they watch people play it on YouTube. The kids memorized every single scenario from watching it too. After Poppy’s Playtime. I figured why not try it out myself.

I’ve been working on the Platinum for Dark Souls III. I play through the game annually. One of my all time favs, so I figure I would try for the platinum. Trophy hunting is a process. I did this last time and had a written list of items next to me. Also been playing Remnant II.

Those games are amazing to kids. I recently played Amanda the Adventurer because my kid came home telling me all about. It’s not a game for kids, but they watch people play it on YouTube. The kids memorized every single scenario from watching it too. After Poppy’s Playtime. I figured why not try it out myself.

Yeah it's just not for me. After I played it, I found out it's big with kids. As said before not for me

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Suikoden
Beat the game and I recruited every character. Lovely stuff. Onto Suikoden 2.

P.S. Anyone recommend some PS1 JRPGS? Played all the popular ones such as FF and BoF.
Parasite Eve, Vandal Hearts (good tactics game by Konami), and Front Mission 3. I don’t see a lot about Vandal Hearts.

sedg87

Banned
I recently been getting into emulation

I have a ton of games I missed out on PS1 and PS2

I finished playing Suikoden II for the first time a few months ago

I Use DuckStation

Yeah that's what I'm doing, and I also use DuckStation.

Parasite Eve, Vandal Hearts (good tactics game by Konami), and Front Mission 3. I don’t see a lot about Vandal Hearts.

I've played Parasite Eve 2 and I love that game, but weirdly I've never played the first game. It's on my list and I'll add the other two. Thank you.

Yeah that's what I'm doing, and I also use DuckStation.

I've played Parasite Eve 2 and I love that game, but weirdly I've never played the first game. It's on my list and I'll add the other two. Thank you.

For the games I missed

These ones I'm planning on playing on emulation

Persona 1 and both Persona 2 games
All Wild Arms games
All Shadow Hearts games
Koudelka
All Front Mission PS2 games
Thousand Arms

I have even more I can't remember atm

sedg87

Banned
For the games I missed

These ones I'm planning on playing on emulation

Persona 1 and both Persona 2 games
All Wild Arms games
All Shadow Hearts games
Koudelka
All Front Mission PS2 games
Thousand Arms

I have even more I can't remember atm

I've got those games on my list, too. I beat Koudelka last week so one down!

Top Bottom