• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"What If Only Black People Had Superpowers?" - Comic Kickstarter for "BLACK"

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is super neat. I hope it succeeds.

Now if only some intrepid Indian writers did something aimed at the brown audience...

besada

Banned

Now if only some intrepid Indian writers did something aimed at the brown audience...
It has succeeded. It's at $32k with 24 days left to go. Obviously there's a market for the book.

I'm with you about Indian comics, by the way. I want comics from every culture on the planet, translated to English for my enjoyment. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Y'know, every time I see this thread I come into it expecting to see a post about why this is actually really racist. I'm always pleasantly pleased when I see nothing of the sort!

Malyse

It has succeeded. It's at $32k with 24 days left to go. Obviously there's a market for the book.

I'm with you about Indian comics, by the way. I want comics from every culture on the planet, translated to English for my enjoyment. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Especially if it means we can cast Aishwarya Rai as a superhero.

46920223.cms

aquavelva

It's weird.

Black people don't get served by an industry

They go and make something for themselves and suddenly there is a double standard or blacks just being racist.

They should really teach about Black Wallstreet in schools.

We live in a system of white supremacy, so anything black people do for themselves immediately arouses suspicion by those in the dominant society.

DedValve

Banned
Malcolm X as Magneto.

Martin Luther King Jr as Xavier.

Oh my god. I need this. I need this soooo bad.

Black historical figures as superheroes. Wilma Rudolph is already a superhero. She even has a legit backstory! Make her a mix between The Flash and One Punch Woman. Or Rock Lee because those excerise routines feel like they came straight out of an anime with how crazy dedicated she was.

Malyse

Oh my god. I need this. I need this soooo bad.

Black historical figures as superheroes. Wilma Rudolph is already a superhero. She even has a legit backstory! Make her a mix between The Flash and One Punch Woman. Or Rock Lee because those excerise routines feel like they came straight out of an anime with how crazy dedicated she was.

Will Smith as Wolverine

Celebs-Who-Doesn%E2%80%99t-Seem-To-Be-Getting-Older-%E2%80%94-Will-Smith.jpg

weshes195

what is this bullshit? doesn't this just endorse segregation? I mean we couldn't do it the other way around so why should this be made? Not that double standards aren't expected at this point.

...You can't be serious. Like what? Does ANYONE know what double standards mean?

Double Standards: a rule or principle that is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups

It is hard to say double standards on something this trivial when white people (in America) are born with an advantage in life called being treated equal. Black people had and have continued suppression and un-equal treatment. Now, if you want to get serious, like talking about black people being payed more than whites, then we can discuss Double Standards as a job should not be biased for someones race, sex, etc.. However, culture is a whole different monster, as it is a fact that compared to whites, black people are nowhere NEAR treated the same way. It would be hard for a white person to do this, not because it would be a "double standard", because it would be making white people the victims, that blacks are the oppressors in which we can only hope whites can get equal rights! ...You see how offensive that is? It isn't unfair, it IS fair that white people wouldn't do something like that unless there is another "twist" in the story (maybe evil white super-powered villains are helping push the hate against the whites).

So yeah, I think it is understandable that Black people have a few advantages talking about something that could be controversial (though the plot doesn't seem to be that big of a deal? especially since it is already happening in real life minus the powers) such as this.

Edit: Never mind, don't even answer. I read more posts and even remembered some other threads with you in it. I am not gonna waste time with ignorant (and arguably racist) people.

NeonBlack

Marches and The Black Panthers would have been taken a little more serious. You're not gonna sic dogs on a animal whisper or aim weapons at magneto.

Wouldn't that also mean there are only black super villains?

Neither Lex or Joker have powers.

what is this bullshit? doesn't this just endorse segregation? I mean we couldn't do it the other way around so why should this be made? Not that double standards aren't expected at this point.

No worry. All of the ancient Egyptians will be played by white people.

Didn't we all kind of start out as black people in Africa? Then we went out and went into Europe and Asia and India. So I guess the people who stayed in Africa mutated to get powers? But what about dark people in Australia or elsewhere? There are dark Indians too, and dark Chinese ( I think).
Also if all black people have powers. What would Africa, (sub-saharan) be like. And then you go back in time it falls a part. Like France and England colonized almost all of the countries there. So I imagine THAT would have never occurred right? Black people would never have become slaves being sold by Arab people...
So you'd have to go back and re-write history basically....
Unless they conveniently make it so that it only gets sparks recently.
Still, it's kind of silly. How black do you have to be to have it sparked then? Like my sister is mixed. Does she get powers?

Didn't we all kind of start out as black people in Africa? Then we went out and went into Europe and Asia and India. So I guess the people who stayed in Africa mutated to get powers? But what about dark people in Australia or elsewhere? There are dark Indians too, and dark Chinese ( I think).
Also if all black people have powers. What would Africa, (sub-saharan) be like. And then you go back in time it falls a part. Like France and England colonized almost all of the countries there. So I imagine THAT would have never occurred right? Black people would never have become slaves being sold by Arab people...
So you'd have to go back and re-write history basically....
Unless they conveniently make it so that it only gets sparks recently.
Still, it's kind of silly. How black do you have to be to have it sparked then? Like my sister is mixed. Does she get powers?

Do you apply this rigor of examination to all alternate history fictional stories? I'm going to find the Inglorious Basterds thread and I better see you complaining about Hitler dying changing history as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom