• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"What If Only Black People Had Superpowers?" - Comic Kickstarter for "BLACK"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kree

Banned
i think he does care about context.
thats why he can't understand.

exchange every race in the title and every black to white and you would have a nazis wet dream comic.

i think you are all to harsh on him for his point of view that isn't even malicious.

No. In this story, black people are still an oppressed group. The Nazi's were oppressors. His view isn't malicious, it's idiotic, and you're not doing yourself any favors arguing on his behalf.

number47

aquaman%2011.jpg
Really? Thank god for infinite crisis.

Boogiepop

They definitely have my attention, here's hoping they nail the execution.

Also, this thread reminded me of the lameness that there is STILL no proper way to purchase Static Shock on DVD/Bluray, and the character still isn't around in comics nowadays IIRC (I think there MAY have been a question of rights issues to be fair, though). Though in a positive note, this prompted me to check Amazon, and apparently the classic Static stuff IS getting a much needed reprint finally!

I'm really annoyed by the fact that I can't afford to contribute!!

(does anyone wanna contribute for me? It was my birthday yesterday :VVV)

what is this bullshit? doesn't this just endorse segregation? I mean we couldn't do it the other way around so why should this be made? Not that double standards aren't expected at this point.

Because making black people and only black people super-powered works to create an analogue between X-Men, inFAMOUS, etc. which both tell stories of marginalized people (except instead of non-white, gay, or trans, they're superpowered). In doing so, it might create an understanding through these connections. It's also a metaphor for being black in America, where many people identify you as being dangerous simply because of the colour of your skin, and in this case, you're dangerous because you're superpowered. If the roles were reversed, we wouldn't see a reverse situation - white people would be superpowered, therefore superpowers would be acceptable. Any white superpowered criminal is not representative of all white people, because why would any white person choose to associate with that person?

Jenenser

No. In this story, black people are still an oppressed group. The Nazi's were oppressors. His view isn't malicious, it's idiotic, and you're not doing yourself any favors arguing on his behalf.

im not here to gain favors and be friends with everyone. im also not here to dogpile on someone just because hes naive. (not idiotic)

idiotic would be catigorizing someone, just because he doesn't have the same view on things, with something malicious (for example a racist)

but what do i care, go on with dogpiling on someone who has no ill intent and thinks we are all the same (if what he says is the truth).

The Kree

Banned
im not here to gain favors and be friends with everyone. im also not here to dogpile on someone just because hes naive. (not idiotic)

idiotic would be catigorizing someone, just because he doesn't have the same view on things, with something malicious (for example a racist)

but what do i care, go on with dogpiling on someone who has no ill intent and thinks we are all the same (if what he says is the truth).

I said his view was idiotic. His "opinion." His argument. I didn't comment on him as a person or his intent.

Lol Austria

Everyone, it's in your best interest to just ignore him. He's shown before that he doesn't want to understand anything about race relations or context, he just wants to complain.

Ah

So he's a race baiter

(also I love your avatar lol)

What he's doing is expressing an opinion and, when told many times how wrong he is, and when given reason after reason as to how wrong he is, he doubles down. He chooses to ignore any perspective that does not align with his own, regardless of how uninformed and ignorant his own perspective truly is.

There's nothing wrong with dogpiling on dumb ass shit

if he has any sense he'll realize that what he did was wrong and learn from it. if not, he'll keep saying dumb shit and get ignored/banned. shaming works

Malyse

i think he does care about context.
thats why he can't understand.

exchange every race in the title and every black to white and you would have a nazis wet dream comic.

i think you are all to harsh on him for his point of view that isn't even malicious.
Where do the literal hundreds of years oppression of black people fit in your context argument?

Dali

Hes not naive. He's aggressively ignorant. He said something about a double standard between whites and blacks in another thread. Several people laid before him in clear terms why it shouldnt be considered a double standard (can't recall the specific issue) and he continued to basically repeat "but but X is what I believe so I'll go with that even if it has no basis in reality."

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
what is this bullshit? doesn't this just endorse segregation? I mean we couldn't do it the other way around so why should this be made? Not that double standards aren't expected at this point.

I'm sure they'll be some token roles for white characters...just like real life comics! Maybe we'll get a character that was born black, does a body swap for a white body and suddenly IS white. We can call that character.... Whyslocke.
February is already delivering...

...in spades

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

besada

Banned
Does Uber count as that?
Or the X-Men for the first twelve years of its existence, in which there were no non-white mutants.
Or the Legion of Super-Heroes where for the first eighteen years, there were no black people with super powers. Blue and orange, sure, but not black.

But this is just over the line, apparently.

Where do the literal hundreds of years oppression of black people fit in your context argument?

exactly

there are different standards for different races. What is okay for one race to say may not be okay for another race to say. White supremacy is something that can't be encouraged in any way because it actually results in physical harm to people and has for hundreds of years.

By the way, this is the thread that got TheDanger sent to the kid's table

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1163828

detective gaf doing the good work

Or the X-Men for the first twelve years of its existence, in which there were no non-white mutants.
Or the Legion of Super-Heroes where for the first eighteen years, there were no black people with super powers. Blue and orange, sure, but not black.

But this is just over the line, apparently.

Well to be fair, this is something entirely different. It wears its racial elements on its sleeve and has made clear that the racial makeup of the book is very much intentional and key to the stated goals of the book, as opposed to simply having an all white cast for no real reason.

Apparently the face of a white supremacist.

edit: People should read the comic before they judge it by the cover.

lol sssssssh

number47

Actually, the artist Canaan white is black :p

Apparently the story isn't pro-Nazi like it might seem but I can't bring myself to buy it.
It's ok . I'll never buy Spiderman Loves Mary Jane nor MJ lovea Spiderman.I don't want to accidentally change my world view or something.

besada

Banned
Uber is okay. Not great, but not bad. If you're going to read Kieron Gillen, though, do yourself a favor and read Phonogram instead. Less Nazis, more Britpop.

Jenenser

nowhere, i think in his view is basicaly: products we create for the future (including media) should be equal to everyone. he disconnects what happened for the sake of gaining equality. now he sees that the other side is portrayed as the pinacle of dna. which in itself is nazirhetoric.

you guys aren't looking at his point of view and hes not looking at your point of view.
(i do understand what he is trying to say tough, we learn that we are all equal in school, it gets hammered in since our childhood... we germans (and [austrians] fucked up if you can remember)

like i said, i think hes just naive because of the disconnect he makes. not malicious, nor racist.

basically his view.
-we are all qual, media where one race is portrayed as better and the other as evil, shouldn't exist

your view.
-we were opressed for hundreds of years and are still opressed in a mostly white world with mostly white media.

hope this is coherent :S

Apparently the face of a white supremacist.

edit: People should read the comic before they judge it by the cover.
well, can't say i've seen that coming o_O

But he's consistently rejecting all explanations. We can't have equal media before we have equal society. Further, the genetic superiority situation is all moot. I've seen legitimately unintelligent white people - like, "dropped out of high school, have a poor understanding of proper English, can't do basic math" white people - refer to Obama as if he was of subhuman intelligence. So pretty much, that superpower that a black person has, to a white person is actually just a really elaborate gun and reason enough that that black person is simply too dangerous to live in white society. They don't care about genetic superiority - and often in these stories they're characterized as freaks or mutants rather than the advancement of humanity.

Well to be fair, this is something entirely different. It wears its racial elements on its sleeve and has made clear that the racial makeup of the book is very much intentional and key to the stated goals of the book, as opposed to simply having an all white cast for no real reason.

So covert vs overt.

So covert vs overt.

In their respective exclusions of diversity, yes, though I think that's unfairly reductive of how each of those stories use the races of the cast. X-Men isn't in any way about being a white person, despite having a white cast; BLACK is very clearly about being a black person and addresses the black experience in america.

TheDanger, you are not a supporter of equality based on your posts. Get it through your thick skull and move on.

What a dope idea. I'll check it out when it gets made :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom