• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"What If Only Black People Had Superpowers?" - Comic Kickstarter for "BLACK"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Uber is okay. Not great, but not bad. If you're going to read Kieron Gillen, though, do yourself a favor and read Phonogram instead. Less Nazis, more Britpop.

Its been awhile since I read Uber but I remember things always ending bad for the allied powers.

Dabanton

ROFL
yes, it does.
who publishes this dreck?! (we all know who would buy this)
edit: the illustrator name. xDDD i can't.

Mate it's Kieron Gillen who I think is a damm good writer and the artist is black as well.

EDIT:I see his already been dragged, multiple times

I'm going to guess this is going to make the typical reddit crowd freak out about 'reverse racism'. It's an interesting experiment and I support it. Maybe just this one comic book will open some eyes as to how it can feel to go into a comic book store and see nothing but white heroes (or a movie theater, or a tv show, etc etc)

Malyse

I'm going to guess this is going to make the typical reddit crowd freak out about 'reverse racism'. It's an interesting experiment and I support it. Maybe just this one comic book will open some eyes as to how it can feel to go into a comic book store and see nothing but white heroes (or a movie theater, or a tv show, etc etc)
The second comment was "what race of the leader on the free world again?"

Slayven

Really? Thank god for infinite crisis.
Turns out he was just fucking with Aquaman, Black Manta is all about himself, too the point he will kill his own son.
February is already delivering...

...in spades

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
DON"T BE FOOLED AGAIN!
Or the X-Men for the first twelve years of its existence, in which there were no non-white mutants.
Or the Legion of Super-Heroes where for the first eighteen years, there were no black people with super powers. Blue and orange, sure, but not black.

But this is just over the line, apparently.

racistsuperheroes9.jpg

Malyse

https://medium.com/@kwanzer/is-blac...-bull-in-a-china-shop-8aed9ea55caf#.pqzm1q7wp

Holy shit, how can I not back this now?

Black advancement often comes at the price of sacrificing individuality to manage perceptions of an entire race.

Lyndon Johnson signing Executive Order 11246 couldn’t erase bigotry, so Blacks have had to be more than exceptional to even be considered hireable.

Even in 2015, this often means being the only Black person in a department, or even a whole company. It’s a tough climate to work in as business culture is foundationally White and male. What is acceptable and expected are based on the principles of a single gender and race.

It’s why we still have Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer badges, and continuous debate over equal pay for minorities and women. If you’re a Black woman… well, you’d better be Oprah — not Oprah-like, actually be Oprah. And don’t put “Oprah” on your resume.

Being Black in mainstream business means representing all of the stereotypes while you avoid portraying the negative ones. You can have natural rhythm, but you can never get angry. You can jump real high, but you can’t jump through that glass ceiling. You can represent the company, but not lead it.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
This looks pretty cool. You can feel the excitement of everyone working on it. Also, that agent Washington looks intense as fuck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If they go with a white antagonist at least make them interesting and have some nuance. I don't mind them being some racist genocidal monster but I hope it's handled in a way that makes them at least interesting to follow as much as you want to route against them.

Aselith

Well I know some white racists who believe blacks are genetically superior which is why they apparently out perform white athletes.

Isn't that kind of the opposite of what racists believe other than the genetic advantage in sports?

Edit: Oh nm I read that as genetically superior in general but looks like you were referencing the correct bit of crazy.

This is really interesting. I'm not a fan of the art style, but the premise alone is a hurricane of worms for america. Maybe a stretch goal could be to have Ta-Nehisi Coates write an arc. I will be picking this up as soon as I can.

Seriously. Black Women get it the worse out of every fucking one. I can't even get a damn anime with a strong black female lead.

I personally liked Michiko to Hatchin. It had a run on Toonami. The music is very good and it was produced by Shinichiro Watanabe. It's suppose to take place in pretty much a place similar to Brazil from the look and culture of the setting.

edit: I noticed someone actually responded to your post a few posts below.

I hope there's a black guy who's power is to fuse with a white genius who says casually ignorant things like "use your natural athleticism to win!"

akira28

Ugh man that last panel is a mess of random limbs attacking from every direction.

Also is that a rabbit and yellow rat guy? What was going on in this team?

no that's a floppy eared dog that was mutated by the big event, and gained the ability to talk. But..that was not his superpower. The dog was a severe asshole. like big time. The talking just let him express it.

brotherman_7_cover_art.jpg

The dictator of discipline been putting in that work.

I remember reading this years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom