• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the hardest game you've ever played?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The hardest game for me would be the original Japanese version of Super Mario Brothers 2 which is available on the WII Virtual Console and not the version found on the SNES All Stars Mario game, which is basically the same game, but much easier.

220px-Mariobros2japanbox.jpg

The original game is just brutal and if anyone likes Mario platform games and likes a challenge and then some then this game is for you.

amber-siyavus-bb-amber.gif

Words cannot express how hard this game is and its not hard from cheap or broken gameplay cause this game plays as tight as any Mario game and I'm not talking about the Doki Doki Panic American released version of SMB2 either, which is a great game, but not hard.

Another game that stands out to me as being difficult is N64 Turok 2 or maybe Sekiro.

What about you?

Last edited:

Irobot82

The hardest game for me would be the original Japanese version of Super Mario Brothers 2 which is available on the WII Virtual Console and not the version found on the SNES All Stars Mario game, which is basically the same game, but much easier.

220px-Mariobros2japanbox.jpg

The original game is just brutal and if anyone likes Mario platform games and likes a challenge and then some then this game is for you.

amber-siyavus-bb-amber.gif

Words cannot express how hard this game is and its not hard from cheap or broken gameplay cause this game plays as tight as any Mario game and I'm not talking about the Doki Doki Panic American released version of SMB2 either, which is a great game, but not hard.

Another game that stands out to me as being difficult is N64 Turok 2 or maybe Sekiro.

What about you?
Do what?

Nah,

Original NES Ninja Turtles
Gameboy BattleToads

Gojiira

Honestly probably God Hand, you just cant fuck up in that game, very unforgiving especially the bosses.
Sekiro gets a honourable mention as well.
A lot of old NES games too but I think a lot of that was just godawful design rather than actual challenge.

Mr Hyde

The Evil Within on Akumu mode. Of all the difficult games I've bested over the years, Akumu mode in TEW is the most brutal, most unforgiving difficulty mode ever. To this day, I can't believe I actually put myself through that and grabbed the platinum. It was hell. But holy shit was it satisfying when I beat the final boss and saw the end credits.

MarkMe2525

This is kind of cheating. I remember bringing the Lion King for the Genesis home from the rental store and being super excited. I saw a screenshot of the stampede scene level that was pseudo 3D, and was pumped to play that level. Needless to say, I never made it.

SeraphJan

The Evil Within on Akumu mode. Of all the difficult games I've bested over the years, Akumu mode in TEW is the most brutal, most unforgiving difficulty mode ever. To this day, I can't believe I actually put myself through that and grabbed the platinum. It was hell. But holy shit was it satisfying when I beat the final boss and saw the end credits.
I agree, getting Platinum for TEW is very difficult, Akumu is basically one hit kill, but not only limited by enemy hits, but also blast radius from your own AoE attack such as grenade or Explosives which is ridiculous.

The 2014 TEW was very a underrated game, its basically an enhanced RE4 by Shinji Mikami with very challenging gameplay, but released in a wrong time

Last edited:
Too many to name honestly. From the past, probably Dragons Lair on NES. The awful, sluggish, frustrating controls combined with nightmarish platforming and cheap deaths made it seemingly impossible. This is coming from someone who completed MANY insanely difficult games throughout their life.

Recently? Maybe Returnal? Not the hardest game ever, but it’s definitely up there. Probably the most unforgiving game I played in the modern era. Still stuck at Biome 3 and still could finish it even with a good player in co-op. Sad part is really like the game, but feel ashamed that I haven’t been able to complete it.

Ranked online matches in any fighting game. Most people fight like their lives depend on them winning that match. It seems like many people study, live, breath and eat fighting games 24/7 and study tournament players online or something to get as good as they are.

Last edited:

dave_d

Got to say Predator for the NES. I think I got past the first section of the first level maybe once. (Not a good game and super hard.)

dave_d

Magic Carpet back in the day, i couldn't get past a certain level, in the 30's, nightmare
Was that the level where you weren't supposed to be able to get a castle at first? I know there was one level like that and I figured out a bug where if I tried repeatedly to create my castle it would eventually let me create it and I could escape from the area I was trapped in. (I'm thinking it was that level.)

Drizzlehell

Banned

I legit snapped off a joystick handle while playing this as a kid. It was such a raw display of rage that I literally went into Hulk mode once I reached the end for the first time and the game kicked me back to the beginning,. I never played that game again after that...

...that is until I got my hands on a PSP version many years later, and also ended up almost snapping that handheld in half. But since I was older, I had a bit more self control at that point and simply gave up on that shit.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Was that the level where you weren't supposed to be able to get a castle at first? I know there was one level like that and I figured out a bug where if I tried repeatedly to create my castle it would eventually let me create it and I could escape from the area I was trapped in. (I'm thinking it was that level.)
It might of been, my memory is hazy after over 20 years, but i just couldn't compete with the other Wizards and the enemy creatures and a castle helps alot, so you could well be right, i tried so many times, it was 36 or 37 i think, i loved the game but it was too hard lol

Vandole

In recent years probably Hollow Knight, at least getting the proper ending with the Radiance battle.

Going back to the 8-bit era, Milon's Secret Castle was a god damned nightmare.

Zug

Baldur's Gate on Legacy of Bhaal mode from lvl1, that was brutal.
Everquest, for the combinaison of game knowledge, organisation and persistence needed to achieve stuff, and the dire consequences when a mistake was made.

Holammer

Touhou 15 - Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom.
All the games in the series are hard, but this one was actually developed to be extra hard. I Alt+F4'd after fighting Clownpiece for an hour.

Souldiers was brutally difficult at release, but I still enjoyed it. Got to the last boss and died dozens of times before I gave up, then it was patched and I instantly shit kicked the boss

The one that still bugs me that I haven't been back to in over 20 years is Ninja Gaiden Black on the Xbox. I got so close to the end. I think the second to last boss fight and just couldn't do it and quit and never came back.

I was working at Gamestop and you could only check out the game for a few days at a time and I repeatedly did up until that boss fight and turned it back in. And it taunted me on that shelf the entire time I worked there.

XomHgt.gif

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Sega Genesis.
2 friends and I spent a sleepless night playing in shifts to finish the game.
Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden Black.
Kid Icarus maybe? Not sure it was a looong time ago.

Now I sometimes go the "easy" route coz I feel I paid my dues 😄

Batiman

Banned
Battletoads

Hollow knight ( that arena was hard as shit)

Sekiro

Trials fusion ( some of these courses are brutal and if your trying to ace them)

Super meat boy

I still can’t beat FTL on normal. Made it to the boss like 8 times and he just barely defeats me. So crushing…. I refuse to try easy

Spelunky 1 and 2

Enter the gungeon gets pretty hard but gets easier after experience.

Mario 3D world champions run ( whatever it’s called) I actually haven’t beaten it yet. Platforming perfection. Always plan on trying it again

Getting chicken dinners in PUBG. Probably the most satisfying wins I have ever got in online gaming. So satisfying.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Played a few... but I am going to give the crown o hardest to the thing that took me the longest to do. And it wasn't the whole game per se, was just getting two trophies.

Beat Zico and Zone Zeus. Wipeout HD.

If you know you know...

With every other game played, no matter how hard, I usually could pass whatever obstacles in front of me after around 5-10 attempts. Sometimes 20. Not those two though.. think those took weeks to get.

Neff

I've finished Mario Lost Levels many times, it's far from the hardest game I've ever played.

Hardest would probably be Mystery of Convoy on the Famicom or that Winnie the Pooh baseball flash game thing.

Top Bottom