• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the hardest game you've ever played?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ikaruga? Please. I finished it with no continues. It’s doable. Gradius, Salamander, R-Type are much harder shooters. Good luck finishing them if you lose a life (and all your power-ups) in the later levels.
Abadox is another brutal NES shooter. Ridiculously hard, even with savestates I can’t get far in it.

Ghosts ‘n Goblins is a game I’ll never beat without savestates. The randomness of it, or rather, the deliberate cheapness of it that’s disguised as randomness is just my nemesis. I beat the SNES game and 100%ed Resurrection, but the original is unbelievably unforgiving. I’ve seen dozens of speedruns of it and a part of me still refuses to believe it’s possible.

Ikaruga? Please. I finished it with no continues. It’s doable.
giphy.gif

E-Cat

Was in coming to say that.

Great game though.
Ikaruga is easy to beat, though. The challenge is not dying once and having a high score. I'm fairly good at the game, my record is around 26.5M on Normal mode.

F-Zero GX Story mode on Very Hard was quite challenging.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Silver Surfer on the NES

I don't know if was hard or just really poorly designed. I do remember throwing my NES at the wall in pure anger. I think it's also my first memory of experiencing rage.

If there's some guy out there that has beaten Silver Surfer on NES, I would unironically vote for him for president.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cuphead. Gave up at the sunflower boss. Lost patience. Probably got killed 20 times.

Adventures of Batman and Robin on Genesis. Rented the game over a weekend and got through around half the game. Insanely hard. It's basically a shooter on foot. I do give it credit for being hard with unpredictable enemy movement and shooting patterns. At that time a lot of shooters were super easy once you know the OP weapons and enemy patterns. Best graphics I'd seen on Genesis. Phenomenal what they could do at the end of the system's life.

Edit: SInce Philly above posted about WAW. I'll add:

COD4 on veteran. I forget how far into SP campaign it is, but the level where it looks like the Crossfire map I died from AI grenade spamming and gave up. There's a midway part of the map I kept dying and didn't know what to do. I'd try shooting and progressing, or bum rushing hoping to hit the checkpoint, but nothing worked.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Gradius, Salamander, R-Type are much harder shooters. Good luck finishing them if you lose a life (and all your power-ups) in the later levels.
Abadox is another brutal NES shooter. Ridiculously hard, even with savestates I can’t get far in it.
Most shooter on NES or even SNES (especially horizontal ones, as many vertical shooters have items that give instant powerup such as the P from Raiden) are brutal, you either don't get hit at all, or you will continuous die non stop, the default peashooter cannot handle any mid to late game enemy waves

Last edited:
The land of the dead or whatever it's called on Rayman Origins was super hard but I finally did it. The champions road in Wii U Mario 3d world I couldn't do.

Rhazkul

Some Challenges in The Binding of Isaac are almost impossible to beat. One challenge is literally called "Ultra Hard" and it's really ultra hard. Regular runs can fuck you up too thanks to the incredible RNG and an engine that is programmed to troll players.

Mr Blobby

Vagrant Story
brings back memories! Those one hit insta-kills if you didn't time it perfectly...

That son of a Bitch

oh yeah I remember trying to beat wizpig or whatever that fuck's name was and it took forever. That's probably one of the hardest for me too.

Dark Souls broke me as a gamer for a bit. After taking hours to defeat Ornstein and Smough, I had to reevaluate what I was doing with my life

Wonderboy is also up there:

RCU005

Ninja Gaiden

100% Diddy Kong Racing

EDIT: It made me laugh that I typed DKR because it was the first that popped in my mind, without reading any other comment, but there were many more.

Last edited:

small_law

In the first Destiny game, the first week of the Crota's End raid hard mode was a nightmare. We grinded that thing every night until the wee hours of the morning because we wanted to get it in the first week. We did Tuesday morning with just a few hours to go until reset, 4:00 a.m. back then I think.

There were a number of design issues with it, the worst of which was Crota instantly slamming the sword bearer when he got up from his stunned state. There was no delay, so learning that particular timing was rough.

After we beat it once, we actually all stayed up and ran our other two characters through because we had the mechanics down and we knew what to do finally.

A bit different maybe but...

Hunt: Showdown. I've got about 800 hours and the game still sometimes feels insurmountable to me. It's as incredibly good as it is incredibly frustrating. There's a certain element of chaos built in that can get you destroyed at any turn that's hard to swallow when you're on a losing streak.

Lupin25

Celeste is a recent one I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned much. Just precise, beautiful, brutal platforming in the later levels.

As far as all time I’ve played? Shit there’s too many…

Silver Surfer, Contra, The WITNESS, og Battletoads and a few others come to mind.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wonderboy is also up there:

Now that you’ve mentioned WB, I was reminded of NES Adventure Island. My GOD what a hard game that is. It’s been years since I played it on emulation, but I still vividly remember that one cave level where you have to jump between falling platforms amidst bats swooping down on you. Literally no room for mistake: lose momentum, miss one bat, jump on the wrong pixel and it’s a guaranteed death. The time limit in some later levels is nuts, too.

That I finished? I'll go with Dark Souls 2 then. That I havent finished? Sekiro is the top of my mind
OMG those two games as well... Except I noped out of DS2 after the chariot and the getting to the Forge... Noped out of Sekiro at the white Monkey.

DS 2 felt so unfair that I thought the game was running at a higher framerate than it was playable at. Super fast zombies at the forge... nope.. I'm out.... after I exterminated all of them from the face of the earth mind you... still, not interested in anything harder/ more unfair than that so I quit.

Last edited:
Hard mode for the thread: Anything after the 360/PS3 generation and No Soulslikes.
Lol, very true. It's hard to think of anything these days apart from Souls.

Even with the Souls games they are hard but back in the 80s - early 90s that would just have been the default difficulty for most games. Plus, you can always just spend ages levelling up to make the game easier. You can't do that with Ninja Gaiden on the NES

unlurkified

Probably the release version of DMC3 where if you died at the boss, you had to start the entire level over. The boss rush level near the end was just pain.

Also, really anything in the 8bit/16bit era was tough as nails, a lot of it because of jank. For example:

-Lost Levels
-Fester’s Quest
-X-Men on Genesis
-Ghouls and Ghosts

The list goes on.

Nico_D

Probably Kingdom Hearts 1 - the ending in particular. But I don't really play "hard" games, I'm unable to have fun playing them.

TrueLegend

I find Soulsborne games easy(not a cakewalk I do die) and from that perspective, I will say
DMCV DMD is the hardest fair difficulty ever
Rise of Nations on Toughest Settings gets a mention

The unfair ones
Ninja Gaiden black at master ninja
And DMC3 unpatched DMD
and ofc goddamn Battletoads

Last edited:

CGNoire

The Ps3 version of Ninja Gaiden Black.

Idk if its the bluetooth controller connection causing lag or what but shit is way harder than the OG Xbox version ever was.

Caio

Without any doubt, Killzone2 at Elite Difficulty and Uncharted Collection at Brutal difficulty. It was really challenging.

RAIDEN1

Donkey Kong Country on the SNES....any of them in the trilogy....if you don't time your jumps right, precision is massive in those games....

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Played a ton of notoriously hard games. Hardest game I actually finished is probably still Sekiro. Did Zelda 2 but ended up savescumming a bit so not counting that.

Top Bottom