• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the hardest game you've ever played?

amigastar

For me one of the hardest was Street Fighter IV
From combo trials to playing the game on a harder difficulty it was all difficult.

Last edited:

stn

Street Fighter 4 and 5. I'm good at both BUT the reason I put them here is because of the combo trials. Like, it takes a next level of dexterity to complete all of C. Viper's trials, for example.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
For me, honestly it was the first Gran Turismo. It was so unlike any racing game before it that I just could not grasp the Sim Racer. I would constantly go off the track and could not for the life of me win a single race.

That was back when games said screw mainstream...I dare you to beat this game.

hlm666

Can't think of a whole game, but I remember beating the black car in ridge racer made me rage a few times. It may have cost a playstation controller it's life.

Innoculis

Neo Member
Rocket league. I was trying to become the oldest Grand Champ at 44. Spent like 2 years playing every night. Got to Champ 3-2 but I just couldn't do it. Then I took a break and couldn't get it back 😭
Crap. Here I was thinking 42 would have been the oldest hahahaha.

Dr. Suchong

Frost punk is brutal.
I really tried but fuck, that game is merciless.
I'll have to swallow my pride and drop the difficulty.

SpiceRacz

Silver Surfer on the NES

I don't know if was hard or just really poorly designed. I do remember throwing my NES at the wall in pure anger. I think it's also my first memory of experiencing rage.

Game is insanely difficult, but this track fucking rules.

TexMex

Got to say Predator for the NES. I think I got past the first section of the first level maybe once. (Not a good game and super hard.)

Played tons of Predator on NES as a kid and agree. In fact that’s the real answer to this thread. There’s so many insanely tough NES games. Especially licensed trash like this. Often artificially difficult by being crap games, but difficult all the same.

Vol5

So many...

TMNT on NES
Wipeout HD, although I got my platinum, that took time.
Demons Souls PS3. Hadn't played anything like it back then really. Everything since, excluding Sekiro I suppose, I understand the base mechanics, but back then, it was supremely difficult figuring it out and not having boss fights that incrementally got harder.
Sekiro or more specifically the final boss
I'd say as well Street Fighter 4 in multiplayer or just genuinely getting good at it. 1 frame timings with that fucking daft dash-cancel thing....It was so infuriatingly difficult to master

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Shadow of the Beast isn’t hard. It’s impossible.
Damn right! The other two were no picnic either!

I'd have to rate this as one of the games that truly drove me up the wall, my child brain just couldnt get far, pure trial and error half the time but my god did I love it..

hHf0NSz.jpg

Probably pure platinuming Bayonetta on Infinite Climax, but that’s kind of a self imposed challenge.

In terms of just beating the game probably Sekiro or Ninja Gaiden Black / II on master Ninja. What’s with Japan and really hard ninja games?

Dr. Suchong

Damn right! The other two were no picnic either!

I'd have to rate this as one of the games that truly drove me up the wall, my child brain just couldnt get far, pure trial and error half the time but my god did I love it..

hHf0NSz.jpg
Jumping on that swamp section drove me nuts.
Also, didn't you only get one shot at putting that Dragon to sleep? If you missed the shot, back to the beginning you go.
Every minor enemy encounter crippled my life bar.

• Treasure
Reactions: Fuz

RaduN

Mushihimesama Futari Ultra mode.

I'm a decent shmup player and i still can't pass level 1 with one credit.. level fucking 1 😨

Hardest beatable game ever.
(As a refference, i've beaten DMC3 on dmd, Ninja Gaiden 2 on MN, God Hand on DIE, Bayonetta on VH)

In the same category, Dodonpachi Saidaioujou remains unbeaten fully (with True Last Boss) after 11 years.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The mortal journey gauntlet challenge on Sekiro is the most sadistic thing I beat it in video games that I can remember... and is so sadistic that you gain fucking nothing for it ... not even a freacking message!

Thank you Miyazaki I love you and forgive you for the pos elden ring 😘

Last edited:
The mortal journey gauntlet challenge on Sekiro is the most sadistic thing I beat it in video games that I can remember... and is so sadistic that you gain fucking nothing for it ... not even a freacking message!

Thank you Miyazaki I love you and forgive you for the pos elden ring 😘
This reminds me I still need to go back and do the gauntlets. I finished everything before those released and never went back

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Jumping on that swamp section drove me nuts.
Also, didn't you only get one shot at putting that Dragon to sleep? If you missed the shot, back to the beginning you go.
Every minor enemy encounter crippled my life bar.
Do you mean those stones over a pond/swamp bit near the start? They almost broke me, I swear i'd get cold sweats knowing it was coming up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I dont think I ever even got to the dragon!

As for the second game it was just as brutal but I somehow managed to get right up to the mansion but always fluffed it on the candles.

Shameless plug, but I still rate the mansion level as the greatest soundtrack in a game in 40 years, that Sid chip, awsome..

Bernardougf

Gold Member
This reminds me I still need to go back and do the gauntlets. I finished everything before those released and never went back

Wellgoodluck.gif
Lots o training to do my friend since you have to best all the bosses in the game in one shot even the special hardest version that you will encounter only on the gauntlets

Vandole

Toughest games I've beaten:
The Guardian Legend, Hollow Knight, SMT: Devil Survivor, Fire Emblem: Fates-Conquest.
The Devil Survivor games were nothing to fuck with. I don't remember difficulty spikes like that in over a decade. You think you're cruising along, ready to kill anything, and then suddenly you're in a boss fight where you're wiped out in 2 turns.

Back in the day when there was no internet, i rented games based on box art and screens on the back. I rented this game one weekend and i never progressed pass like 5 screens. It might not be a hard game, but i had no idea how to do anything and being it was my weekend rental, i HAD to try to play it. I spent all weekend making Zero progress.
nH915tr.jpg

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

There are many, especially on the 8 bit systems. Those games weren't tested or they were made hard so it took you months to beat them since they are so short.

The Gameboy Simpsons games were infuriating. I only beat Beanstalk, don't ask me how, but I did it.

Dr. Suchong

Do you mean those stones over a pond/swamp bit near the start? They almost broke me, I swear i'd get cold sweats knowing it was coming up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

As for the second game it was just as brutal but I somehow managed to get right up to the mansion but always fluffed it on the candles.

Shameless plug, but I still rate the mansion level as the greatest soundtrack in a game in 40 years, that Sid chip, awsome..

Yes that's right.
Infuriating.
Pixel perfect jumping or you just sank.

Fuz

Banned
I think the one that stuck most in memory was wonderboy 1 for the commodore 64. And that is because i broke multiple joystics when i raged about it :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Man, that was insane.
I still have that music ringing in my brain. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fuz

Banned

Oh boy, why didn't I think of it? SO. MUCH. TIME. trying to perfect those jumps.

And this is probably THE single greatest music piece in all history of gaming:

Shadow of the Beast isn’t hard. It’s impossible.
I actually got pretty far without cheats - then finished it with cheats. I think the jetpack section broke me.
Also, another game with incredible music.

Fell inside that rabbit hole again, and HOLY SHIT I did not remember this one and it's incredible:

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Oh boy, why didn't I think of it? SO. MUCH. TIME. trying to perfect those jumps.

And this is probably THE single greatest music piece in all history of gaming:

I actually got pretty far without cheats - then finished it with cheats. I think the jetpack section broke me.
Also, another game with incredible music.

Thats a banger an all. I think I need to make a thread on the marvel of that glorious sid chip. I dont think we've had one for years :messenger_tears_of_joy:

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

stranno

156346-stardust-amiga-front-cover.jpg

I'd say Housemarque's Stardust for Amiga. Not only the regular "asteroids" gameplay is really hard, difficulty ramp up in the special "tunnel shooter" levels. They are just insane.

Super Stardust for CD32 was waaaay easier, and still very hard. You have direct control over the ship, instead of the asteroids layout, and special levels are a bit slower. Overall, it is the way to go with this game.

Super Stardust HD for PSN was stupidly easy in comparison, difficulty has nothing to do with the previous games. And every Stardust since then have been even easier. Still, great games.

As always: you DO NOT WANT to let a demoscene group handle the gameplay of a game, difficulty will be insane no matter what.

The Devil Survivor games were nothing to fuck with. I don't remember difficulty spikes like that in over a decade. You think you're cruising along, ready to kill anything, and then suddenly you're in a boss fight where you're wiped out in 2 turns.
And the boss-after-boss shit was brutal because you couldn't save between them sometimes.

ILHASS

Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master ninja. I even broke my new gamepad but still beat it in the end. It was really hard.

Tarnpanzer

Doom Eternal on UV. Could not finish the second DLC. Some sets in DLC 1 took me more than two hours of trying.

I will try again sometime. Almost done afaik.

Last edited:
Top Bottom