• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite game genre and why ?

What is your favorite game genre and why ?

• RPG

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • Action

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Adventure ( point and click /puzzle )

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Platformers

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • First person shooter

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Stealth

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Strategy

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Horror

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Sports

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Racing

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immersive sim

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • fighting

• Shmups

• Visual novels

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

samoilaaa

What game genre do you enjoy the most and why ?

for me its RPGs because they give me the freedom to make the character the way that i want , to make choices according to my personality and watch how those choices affect the game world , i can approach a quest the way i want to , by force , by stealth or just talk my way through situations

Drizzlehell

Banned
Immersive sim

I find them most engaging, especially if they do things right. I like it when the game rewards me for trying to be creative when it comes to problem-solving, and I also enjoy exploring the levels, looting shit, interacting with NPCs, taking in the atmosphere...

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
RPGs and/or JRPGs...I started back on the NES and P.C. years ago. I've played on nearly every platform. Some in particular: Chrono Trigger, Tales of series, Suikoden, Final Fantasy (the first on NES in particular), dotHack when those were around and recently Trial of Mana remake. I love the story, how well the environments are made and it always feels like playing a movie without all the cinematics (which isn't in every RPG/JRPG...just a whole lotta cut scenes). Adventure is a close runner up.

CeeJay

No racing, sports, simulation? Yet horror (that I would class as a sub genre) gets an option.

I chose RPG because I enjoy growing and developing my character into something unique that allows me to play the way I want to.

Real answer though is because I'm currently playing Fallout 4. Ask me next year and it might be racing games once Forza comes out or simulation when Kerbal 2 gets released.

Reactions: Gp1

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I probably enjoy Mario platformers more than any other type of game. But I do not play many other platformers outside of Mario.

I do enjoy a good RPG or action adventure game. Narrative driven stuff is great. I also love the Elden Ring.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Action is is Broad while fps are only shooters.

I guess action is everything not fps?

I'm into shooters, both first and third person.

Mr Hyde

RPG.

Western or Japanese, action or turn based, it doesn't matter. I just love going out on grand adventures exploring new worlds. Been a fan of this genre since my early teens and it doesn't seem to fade away. Other favorite genres are action-adventure games, platformers and horror. And Metroidvanias.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For the experience, immersion and how to know how to survive and the stories, of course I mean the genre from SNES to PS3...

Currently I reject Survival Horror in First person.

samoilaaa

No racing, sports, simulation? Yet horror (that I would class as a sub genre) gets an option.

I chose RPG because I enjoy growing and developing my character into something unique that allows me to play the way I want to.

Real answer though is because I'm currently playing Fallout 4. Ask me next year and it might be racing games once Forza comes out or simulation when Kerbal 2 gets released.
i added them too

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Stealth and Immersive Sim
  • Hitman
  • Splinter Cell
  • Deus Ex
  • Thief
  • Prey
  • Dishonored
And some linear action adventures like Tomb Raider and also the Naughty Dog games.

Also, I'm not seeing any option to vote on my mobile browser. is OP updating the poll manually ?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Open world action adventure rpg is easily the best genre in gaming let’s just say the top 7 games: assassins creed origins/odyssey/Valhalla, look at breath of the wild, bio mutant, days gone, GTAV/RD2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Twilight Princess HD.

Fbh

RPG, though generally what appeals to me is most stuff that can be described as "Third person action adventure with real time combat and some RPG mechanics" which includes stuff like Dark Souls, Elden Ring, Nioh, God of War, Breath of the Wild, etc. I think they usually strike a nice balance between having fun combat but also incorporating elements of exploration, character building and sometimes story.

I also really like character action games like DMC, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc but IMO games like Elden Ring or God of War offer slightly less complex but equally satisfying combat while also having better exploration, more interesting world, fun gear and loot, etc.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Probably Immsersive Sims, but there's too few of them.

Shooters is my overall most played and RPGs is close.

samoilaaa

Probably Immsersive Sims, but there's too few of them.

Shooters is my overall most played and RPGs is close.
its true that there arnt enough quality immersive sims out there

have you heard about gloomwood ? it has bad graphics but the game mechanics are amazing , its in early acces right now , im also waiting for redfall , arkane said that they didnt make co op a main focus and that it will be a true arkane game like dishonored and prey , hope that it will be a very good game

Crayon

Of my top ten peak gaming experiences ever, I would bet like 7 or 8 was fighting games. When strive came out, I was on like a 4 month oddesy of cramming in over 20 hours a week and letting my mail pile up and skipping showers and meals lol. I felt 20 years younger.

samoilaaa

- Environmental Puzzle Adventure (Portal, The talos principle, The Witness, Fez...).
Yes I litteraly just invented the genre on the spot, shortname: EPA.
talos principle and the witness were very good , i didnt play portal games but everyone says they are great so i will have to try them at some point

taihenner

Neo Member
Definitely RPG's. I honestly didn't get into the genre until quite a few years down the road but when I did I fell head over heels over it.

Naked Lunch

shmups.
Challenging. Engaging.
Will never get old. Completely skill based.
Nothing in video games matches the zen like state you get when you play well at a difficult shmup.
1CCing actually feels rewarding.
Most have amazing music.
Something about seeing a million bullets on the screen in certain bullethells is beautiful - mesmerizing. The various bullet programming is a work of art itself.

Once you jump down the rabbit hole - you learn there are 100s to choose from and each take time, dedication, and practice to master.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Fighting and arcade racing. Easy to play with friends and I can take it in small bursts. Anything that requires more than a 20 minute per session time investment is probably off the table.

R6Rider

Gold Member
have you heard about gloomwood ? it has bad graphics but the game mechanics are amazing , its in early acces right now , im also waiting for redfall , arkane said that they didnt make co op a main focus and that it will be a true arkane game like dishonored and prey , hope that it will be a very good game
Redfall looks like too far of a departure from their previous titles which I can't what they try to claim. On top of that you have the tiered loot system which I can't stand.

I have seen gameplay of Gloomwood. Reminds me of classic Thief.

Racing games. I've been a car guy since I was still in diapers, and I will be until I'm back in them.

I have more than double the time spent in racing games than every other genre combined.

Arsic

Gold Member
ARPG specifically like Diablo.

I picked RPG but feel like ARPG at this point is its own bag where the game is top down and loot focused AKA Diablo, Path of Exile, Last Epoch, etc.

Labadal

RPGs (especially turn-based). I like the combat, bigger scope of story, character development, and leveling up my dudes/dudettes.

Laptop1991

RPG, but the newer 1st or 3rd person styles, that incorporate FPS, like Bethesda's TES and Fallout's and some Obsidian games not the older isometric games, they are a sort of hybrid really.

Banned
I would say Immersive Sim, but there are so few actually good ones that it's hard to actually say that it's my favourite genre as I play others way more.

so in theory it's my favourite genre, but in practice there aren't enough good ones to actually make it the genre I play the most, hell it's not even in the top 5 of my most played genres.

but then once in a blue moon a game like Prey comes out and I am in awe

Last edited:
Top Bottom