• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What tier PC do you have? Low, Mid, or High end.

See Topic

• Low end

Votes: 68 23.6%
  • Mid end

Votes: 88 30.6%
  • High end

Votes: 132 45.8%

• Total voters

Krathoon

I guess my desktop PC is mid tier now, but it runs the latest games at 1080p.
Alienware Auroa R7
1080 GTX
16GB ram

I am going to put 32GB in it next week. I have a 3060 RTX I was going to stick in it.

I will have to look up the guide for putting the video card in. I remember that it needed an adapter for the power cable.

Oh, yeah. I have to put in a new power supply.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The neat thing about the Alienware Auroa R7 is that they made it easy to get at the power supply. It is in this gate that swings out.

I will probably just put in the extra memory for now. That will give me an idea what the inside of the case looks like.

It also looks like there is some bays for internal drives. I will have to check into that. I have been using external drives.

I may stick some cheap SSD drives in it.

Last edited:

flying_sq

5900x
3090ti
32GB
Waiting for the 4090ti

Have a gaming laptop with a 5800h (I think)
32GB

Last edited:

Pejo

I've been sitting at current day mid-end for a few years now.

Ryzen 7 2700
48GB RAM, it's mixed for now so I'm only getting the slowest speed
2070 Super

My CPU is holding me back quite a bit for now, but I wanted to wait until the 4070 Ti drops a bit and do a full brand new build, so it has to last.

brian0057

Banned
I think a more interesting question is: What's the lowest level of hardware you've used to play a new game? What game were you sure it couldn't run but you installed it anyway and beat it because you were just that excited to play it?

In my case, I beat both campaigns of Resident Evil 2 remake on a PC with an i3 6100, using the iGPU, 4 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz of RAM, and a mechanical hard drive.

Krathoon

If you got DDR4 ram, it is really cheap to upgrade to 32gb now. It is in the $60 to $50 dollar range.

I was going to do it because that games are starting to use more. Hogwarts Legacy is a good example.

I also notice it is easier to bog down a computer lately.

I have an FE RTX 4080, a Ryzen 5600X, and 32GB of tuned Samsung B-die DDR4 at 3600MHz. The system in general is tuned to be quiet and powerful and, while I think the graphics card was bad for value, it's very efficient.

I also have a laptop with a GTX 1650, an i5-11300 and 8GB of 3200MHz RAM with bad timings. Having a laptop that is technically capable of running games and also AI shit is immensely helpful to me so I don't mind the low spec... it also has a high res OLED screen so I use it for playing upscaled visual novels. It chokes hard on the RAM though.

If you got DDR4 ram, it is really cheap to upgrade to 32gb now. It is in the $60 to $50 dollar range.

I was going to do it because that games are starting to use more. Hogwarts Legacy is a good example.

I also notice it is easier to bog down a computer lately.
I don't know about right now, but when I bought my RAM less than a year ago you could get quality OEM DDR4 RAM kits for extremely cheap. Memory timings help a lot with Ryzen so it might be worth it for people to try this avenue and grab some cheap B-die. e: it was December last year and I got memory rated 3200MHz CL14. branded G.SKILL ARES.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
No, I always go cheap on cases. Just plain black with no window to look inside.
DPJ7vn3.jpg

I'm still rocking this plain Jane beauty

Celcius

°Temp. member
10700k @ 4.9ghz all core with Noctua NH-D14
Asus Maximus XII Hero
32GB ddr4 @ CL16 4000mhz
Evga RTX 3090
4TB Western Digital SN850X
1000w Corsair HX1000i
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
CaseLabs Merlin SM8
Windows 11 Pro

I feel like nowadays my hardware is only mid-range

Last edited:

Monokrom

4zu3_Lenovo_Legion_5_15IMH05H.jpg

Lenovo Legion 5 with Ryzen 5600H, RTX 3060 and 16GB. About 7800 score on Timespy. Lower mid tier perhaps, dunno?
I only play Civ VI and emulation on it. 99% of the time I'm playing on the PS5.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've always felt this forum has had more of the mid range or higher when it came to PC's. Seems based on the limited poll that it still holds.

7800X3D/OC 4090/X670-E/6000MT CL30 DDR5/1300W PSU/16TB NVME+SSD STORAGE NVME/SSD/CORSAIR 7000D/ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZE II 360MM AIO PUSH/PULL

//DEVIL//

7950X3D
X670E CARBON WIFI
RTX 4090 ASUS STRIX
32GB DDR5
4TB NVME

Not gonna upgrade to 4090 Ti, Not gonna change the CPU till there is a really big jump in 4k. when an i5 12600k and 7800X3d at 4k don't have any meaningful impact, its not worth upgrading the CPU anymore.

Last edited:

Joramun

This topic is inspired by the steam hardware topic and I wanted to see on a gaming forum what is the ratio for real gamers. Only for PC that are used for gaming btw
I chose Low End.

But I'm not sure where my PC stands.

7600X
6700 XT
32GB of ram

I'd consider myself a PC newbie. I've been on consoles for the most part. I just recently got into PC a couple of years ago, but mainly for emulation. I've got two "beginners' builds" that were pre-built and sold to me for cheap off eBay and Etsy. I'm guessing they're low-tier? (Based on the fact I can't run GTA V on the higher settings without sacrificing performance)

PC1) Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @3.2 GHz w/ 16 GB RAM

PC2) AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.9 GHz w/ 16 GB RAM

Last edited:

Leonidas

I voted high-end. I am sure it still qualifies as such in 2023.

Intel Core i9-10850K
GSkill 32GB DDR4-3200
Radeon 6700XT
6700 XT is on par with the 3060 Ti, and slower than 4060 Ti.
The CPU, while great at one time, now loses to several i5s.

Mid-range.

Corndog

Banned
I guess my desktop PC is mid tier now, but it runs the latest games at 1080p.
Alienware Auroa R7
1080 GTX
16GB ram

I am going to put 32GB in it next week. I have a 3060 RTX I was going to stick in it.

I will have to look up the guide for putting the video card in. I remember that it needed an adapter for the power cable.

Oh, yeah. I have to put in a new power supply.
1080 might be low end now.

draliko

5600x
16gb
Old ass GPU (gt 730, sold the 3080 when prices were crazy, still undecided if worth selling both the consoles and get back to pc gaming, think this evening I'll have an answer)

so low low low for now

T-Cake

4zu3_Lenovo_Legion_5_15IMH05H.jpg

Lenovo Legion 5 with Ryzen 5600H, RTX 3060 and 16GB. About 7800 score on Timespy. Lower mid tier perhaps, dunno?
I only play Civ VI and emulation on it. 99% of the time I'm playing on the PS5.

Is that a decent bit of kit? I really want the Legion 7 Pro as Lisa from MobileTechReview likes it. :D

Soodanim

Gold Member
At this point, lowish. 4690k, 16gb DDR3, 1660ti.

Based on Steam's most recent hardware survey and my CPU bottlenecking my performance as well as the GPU market being a mess thanks to nVidia being cunts, I'll probably build a new rig to have a modern CPU but hold back on the GPU for a while to see how I fare.

Last edited:

Zug

5800x3D
4070Ti
32GB
fast nvme SSDs
All in a small itx box !

I was happy that I could upgrade from a 3700x and keep my platform, the 5800x3D is a beast for gaming.
4070ti had the best perf/price ratio at launch, and allowed me to keep my beloved M1 case.
The little thing can pretty much run anything maxxed at 4k, with DLSS2 (and 3) on hungrier titles.
So, high I suppose ? Even though not high-end.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Still with 4th gen i5 and a 1060 6GB.

Can't even play modern unoptimized games anymore. But it's still OK for emulators.

You should have added a "bottom" tier.

Last edited:
3 months? I would've thought closer to 3 years since games are going to be tied to the current consoles for another 4 or 5 years.
Sure, I was talking about the constant upgrade cycle within the PCMR community where your status is determined by the components in your build. Won't be too long until these parts are replaced by something newer and faster. 14900K and 4090 Ti are just around the corner.
Performance wise, this thing will probably last a while.

Top Bottom