• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the last game that was anticipated as much as Starfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's been crazy. Everywhere I look on the gaming/tech/social media related internet, it seems like the conversation is about Starfield. It's been a few years since I've seen this type of hype and buildup towards a game's release.

Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 a few years ago? But even that I don't think had this type of fervor around it.

When talking about the Xbox platform specifically, this might be the most hyped game ever outside of maybe Halo 3 back in 2007?

Sad Cry Me A River GIF by Pudgy Memez
200.gif
Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Cyberpunk 2077's hype was out of control. Much bigger than Starfield's. That's not to say Starfield won't be a better game on release or after years of updates, but hype wise, it's Cyberpunk every day of the week. An 8 year hype cycle will do that.

reinking

Gold Member
I think it is being hyped a lot but no more than any other major release. I have finally seen a TV spot for it recently. What am I missing?

Curious how different the replies would be if it was coming to Playstation.

The hype is real for Starfield. It's the next big Bethesda game. Fallout 4 was not as great as 3/NV but still damn good. Skyrim was fucking huge.

No matter how hard people try to play this down it is going to be a huge title.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Do you guys remember the No Man's Sky hype? It was probably more than this. Todd Howard didn't go on Jimmy Fallon. Or did he?

Last edited:
It's been crazy. Everywhere I look on the gaming/tech/social media related internet, it seems like the conversation is about Starfield. It's been a few years since I've seen this type of hype and buildup towards a game's release.

Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 a few years ago? But even that I don't think had this type of fervor around it.

When talking about the Xbox platform specifically, this might be the most hyped game ever outside of maybe Halo 3 back in 2007?
Spot on! It's 100% the biggest game release for Xbox since Halo 3.

StueyDuck

Please explain to me how sharing anticipation about a game release is "childish online console warring".
I think we all know why these threads are being made. Let's not beat around the bush.

Just play the game, there's already been a "wow everyone thinks this is the best game ever" thread. In fact there's been pages and pages worth in the last week. What does yours add that the others don't?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I think we all know why these threads are being made. Let's not beat around the bush.

Just play the game, there's already been a "wow everyone thinks this is the best game ever" thread. In fact there's been pages and pages worth in the last week. What does yours add that the others don't?

These threads are being made because people are excited about the game. Those that are seeing a "console warring" mentality behind it is because they're coming from a console warring mentality themselves.

StueyDuck

These threads are being made because people are excited about the game. Those that are seeing a "console warring" mentality behind it is because they're coming from a console warring mentality themselves.
You still have yet to tell me why your thread is so much more important than the last 5 with the exact same thread premise.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
You still have yet to tell me why your thread is so much more important than the last 5 with the exact same thread premise.

We're on a gaming forum lol. No threads are "important". It's just all fun and to generate discussion.

Also, please show me the 5 other threads with the exact same premise of mine. (discussing hype levels of this game compared to big releases from past years)

Last edited:

StueyDuck

We're on a gaming forum lol. No threads are "important". It's just all fun and to generate discussion.

Also, pease show me the 5 other threads with the exact same premise of mine. (discussing hype levels of this game compared to big releases from past yeayears

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

That thread is focusing on a just general Starfield discussion and people anticipating the game release and talking about what they hope to get out of it. This thread has a different focus.

Where's the other 4 threads you referred to?

StueyDuck

That thread is focusing on a just general Starfield discussion and people anticipating the game release and talking about what they hope to get out of it. This thread has a different focus.

Where's the other 4 threads you referred to?
Ah dude I'm not gonna waste time searching starfield threads...

Look I don't care about your thinly veiled agenda or anything, just know I think it's sad.

Many games have been hyped and many games will continue to be hyped. Starfield is not some anomaly and it's not going to change to world, it's a fun game and we all are gonna play it and have fun then move on with life.

I suggest you do the same too. It's just a video game at the end of the day, doesn't matter what your favorite plastic toy is or what the game is.

I look forward to your next thread in 24 hours about how shocked you are that starfield is so hyped 🤣 I don't know how else people can reword the same thread so I think I helped you there

Probably Cyberpunk 2077
I really thought this game was going to be something special. The anticipation was high.
I started playing on the XbONE X. The anticipation crash was hard.
Moved over to the Series S. Played several dozen more hours of CP77 The honeymoon was over.
Traded in the Series S for a Series X tp finish the game over 90 hours total playtime. This was before any major patches or anything.
What a let down.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Ah dude I'm not gonna waste time searching starfield threads...

Look I don't care about your thinly veiled agenda or anything, just know I think it's sad.

Many games have been hyped and many games will continue to be hyped. Starfield is not some anomaly and it's not going to change to world, it's a fun game and we all are gonna play it and have fun then move on with life.

I suggest you do the same too. It's just a video game at the end of the day, doesn't matter what your favorite plastic toy is or what the game is.

I look forward to your next thread in 24 hours about how shocked you are that starfield is so hyped 🤣 I don't know how else people can reword the same thread so I think I helped you there

God people are so fucking weird. "Thinly veiled agenda" on a fucking gaming forum lol.

Dude, I'm just excited for the game, as are many others. It's okay to celebrate things you're excited about. I'm sorry this somehow made you feel uncomfortable.

StueyDuck

God people are so fucking weird. "Thinly veiled agenda" on a fucking gaming forum lol.

Dude, I'm just excited for the game, as are many others. It's okay to celebrate things you're excited about. I'm sorry this somehow made you feel uncomfortable.
I got a thread idea... is starfield the most hyped game ever. I give that one to you for free, don't be scared to use it 😉.

Because we definitely haven't had a thread with that exact wording. So you have to make it. It's celebratory right 😉

A new IP from Bethesda is not something you see ever to be quite honest and it's the first time it's a new IP for them.

GTA 5 maybe was the last biggest thing. It's kind of hard to gauge because there are many great games out there. I think every big game has its own special case.

I know the next most anticipated title for the whole of gaming is 100% going to be GTA6.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Nope, StueyDuck StueyDuck is actually right.

This whole "hype" feels... incredibly manufactured friend, we can argue all we want about the opposite but...

Mind you, I'm not excluding exclusives from other platforms, like, say, like GOW Ragnarok etc, hype is hype and the targeted demographic will - obviously - be interested and anticipating said title, having said that...I just can't shake the feeling that the "hype " around Starfield is A) manufactured, B) due to a real thirst for a AAA "exclusive" especially after the 3 year MS no-show shitshow and C) both.

Bethesda RPGs, are a known quantity and many of their titles have been (almost) cultural phenomenons (especially Skyrim), to laud this game though - or any other game for that matter - as the 2nd coming of Christ is just pure, unadulterated hyperbole - especially after FO4 and FO76.

Regarding now the "console warring mentality" that you mentioned...people need to stop seeing ghosts or "enemies" all the time, the constant persecution complex and the fact that many users in here can't see eye to eye due to their liege towards their plastic fucking box of choice has gotten long in the tooth, people ARE allowed to both disagree with another's opinion and express their thoughts/opinions without the other party getting their knickers in a twist.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom